Awoo.

What other gaming genres should the Sonic series explore?

Guergy

Similar to his contemporaries, Sonic has explored some other genres other than usual platform games. While Sonic has been in most genres before, there are some genres that Sonic has yet to explore. What are those genres? And how do you think they could work with the Sonic universe?

I know it’s been done already, but I would love to see another Sonic fighting game. A huge selection of characters, each with unique, borderline superhuman abilities, would be perfect for an arena fighter à la Tekken.

• Thumbs Up 5

I would be really happy to see another Sonic RPG game, this time with a proper budget and designed for HD consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

I really want a proper on-foot racing game based on the Boost games that incorporates some limited platforming elements and different abilities for characters.

There are so many things I'd like to play with the SONIC lore!!...
A new RPG, of course, and new fighting games... but if I could only play one other genre, it would be a DYNASTY WARRIOR : SONIC THE HEDGEHOG game!!...
I've played DYNASTY WARRIORS : GUNDAM 1 and 3 and I had a great time!!...
Everytime I played them, I couldn't help thinking about playing Knuckles (or Sonic, or others) fightings thousands of Nocturnus fighters and badniks in a stimulating brand new storyline!!...
But now that CHRONICLES has been put out of the canon, I don't know what to answer...

Maybe Dotemu could remake TAILS' ADVENTURE the same way they remade WONDERBOY : THE DRAGON'S TRAP since both games have an incredibly strong and charming 8-bit gameplay?!...

• Thumbs Up 1

Count me in for a fighting game, though my mind always floats toward a traditional 2D fighter or a platform fighter. The Arena fighters I've played, the movement doesn't feel as snappy so it feels like a poor fit for Sonic.

Otherwise though I think Sonic has the variety of toolkits and wacky superpowers necessary to make a good, balanced fighting game cast. I've had moveset ideas for characters like Blaze, Big and Espio I've just been sitting on for years.

The only thing is I'm not sure who to market it to. A traditional fighter starring Sonic characters might be a hard sell to the FGC and as much as they'd appreciate seeing the characters fighting at full strength I'm not sure if most Sonic fans actually want to play something complicated and mechanically driven, where most of the fun is derived from intrinsic motivation without much extrinsic stuff to latch onto. Whatever story mode is in actually in this game would probably be pretty weak, for starters, since it's the nature of the genre.

If I were to do a spinoff that I think would fit where this community is at well, I'd probably pick an RPG/ARPG where you can go on adventures with different Sonic characters. It'll give fans that face time with the characters and worldbuilding that they want without having to work around the restrictions of a fast paced platformer. The only thing is I'm not sure if Sonic is the best fit for a protagonist of something like that. Maybe the OC gimmick from Forces could make a return?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just give me a Sonic Warriors/Musou so I can sink 300 hours into mindlessly but stylishly destroying thousands of motobugs.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/13/2022 at 3:21 PM, Wraith said:

The only thing is I'm not sure who to market it to. A traditional fighter starring Sonic characters might be a hard sell to the FGC and as much as they'd appreciate seeing the characters fighting at full strength I'm not sure if most Sonic fans actually want to play something complicated and mechanically driven, where most of the fun is derived from intrinsic motivation without much extrinsic stuff to latch onto. Whatever story mode is in actually in this game would probably be pretty weak, for starters, since it's the nature of the genre.

Sonic games have always used the intrinsic motivation to get better at the games as one of the series' core features. It's why the games added ranks; to encourage players to engage with Sonic as an iterative experience that you play many times, not just until you see the credits roll. In fact, there are Sonic fans trying to turn the Riders games into an esport. So I think there's plenty of reason to believe that Sonic fans would be interested in a mechanically deep fighting game. You could also follow Smash Bros. example and make it a suitable party game as well, appealing to multiple audiences at the same time.

Anyway, add my voice to those who'd like to see another Sonic fighting game someday, as well as a 3D platformer/racing game hybrid too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fighting, I think Sonic woud be the perfect franchise for a Arena Fighter (Like the Storm franchise or the Sparking series of Dragon Ball) or a Plataform Fighter (Not like Smash Bros, but like Naruto Accel).

C'mon SEGA, embrace the anime roots of the series!!!