Awoo.

TailsTube Announced - Tails Becomes a VTuber!

Blue Blood
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Tails Becomes a Vtuber in a New Web Show, "TailsTube" at some point.

The VTuber trend (/curse) continues and SEGA have launched an English VTuber show for Tails. First episode is set to air next week

I'm game for giving this a look in. It's a cute idea, even though it's not really my thing. 

Latest Episode:

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

The Tails vTuber was already a thing on the JP side but they hadn't really used it yet (to my knowledge), same deal with the Sonic one they announced last Summer. Was always hoping they were gonna use them for news blasts or something but they just didn't seem to bother. Pretty cool they're doing some small things with Colleen behind it though; curious if this is dubbed content or if SoA is just doing their own thing with the vTuber assets.

• Thumbs Up 4

• This topic was featured and unfeatured

Posted By: Michael

Tails becomes a Ytuber in a new web show called "TailsTube"? Nice one.

I hope that i suspect that there might be more announcements on Sonic Frontiers, Sonic Prime and Sonic Origins. BTW, i'm worried and concerned and so are everybody around the world that there hasn't been any more news on Sonic Origins yet. Well, at least it was trademarked in Japan last November and Sonic social media manager Katie Chrzanowski (who took over as the coordinator from Aaron Webber in March 2019 which was three years ago) says it isn't cancelled and she hopes there might be more news on Sonic Origins soon in due course. Chrzanowski also confirmed that Sonic 3 & Knuckles will be in 16:9 widescreen when this game is released as part of the 2022 compilation along with Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD.

Posted By: Greatsong1

Makes me wonder if Sega have plans for the other Sonic characters becoming Vtubers (or something Youtube-related) as well in the near future. I could see atleast Knuckles, Amy and/or Shadow getting their own thing.

Not a Vtuber fan myself (heck I almost forgot that Sonic’s Vtuber show was a thing) but glad for the ones who like this.

I really like this kind of content. But there are already people expecting Sonic Frontiers news from this event, and I wouldn't put my hopes up.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Zaysho said:

The Tails vTuber was already a thing on the JP side but they hadn't really used it yet (to my knowledge), same deal with the Sonic one they announced last Summer. Was always hoping they were gonna use them for news blasts or something but they just didn't seem to bother. Pretty cool they're doing some small things with Colleen behind it though; curious if this is dubbed content or if SoA is just doing their own thing with the vTuber assets.

Funny you say that, Sonic Team is DUBBING OVER the English TailsTube.

I'm a little lost for words here, this is the strangest way of opening a Vtuber I've seen yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sooo, anyone here actually watches any V-tubers? Can you explain the appeal?

I'm mean, is it just  Sonic Twitter take over with a little more animation?

V-tuber? So is he like going to act cute in a vaguely sexual way while mixing english with japanese phrases? Cause that ain't right.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't really watch V-tubers in general but the idea is you have a fictional character who is a persona for the streamer. In Japan especially, a lot of streamers are camera shy (and will even disguise their voices), so a lot like using an animated avatar to still have something interactive for the viewers.

That being said, because Tails is an established fictional character (not a made up virtual persona for a YouTube) this has more general appeal because fans will think it cute visually seeing Tails's bubbly personality while talking about Sonic stuff and learning more about the characters.

As you said, it's basically a takeover with animation. 

If you want to see an example, Tails was on the Japanese Sonic Station stream alongside Sonic and talked about how he liked mint candy for example and other things.

8 hours ago, batson said:

V-tuber? So is he like going to act cute in a vaguely sexual way while mixing english with japanese phrases? Cause that ain't right.

V tuber more refers to the actual model itself than the content so just think of it like an animation with an avatar, not much different than using a CG model for a commerical. 

As for the English with Japanese, modern Japanese uses a lot of English loanwords in general, especially in video games. But I am not sure if you mean something else.

9 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Everyone is going to have their own perspective on this, but I've always likened the appeal of VTubers to how people like The Muppets. Yeah, you know Kermit isn't really a frog and you know Gonzo isn't really a...whatever, but the looks and personalities they display are so entertaining that - even if only for a brief moment - you begin to not even notice anymore that you're watching a puppet show.

That's kind of what VTubers are to me, unscripted, improv digital puppet shows. The only difference I'd argue is that most use these 3D digital puppets more as an avatar of sorts so the personalities they display are less of a character they play and more of their genuine personalities given an animated form. This gives them the same appeal normal streamers and Youtubers have, except they just happen to be a humanoid shark from Atlantis or the Grim Reaper's apprentice...which quite frankly is just much more visually interesting then them simply being real people. There was a segment with Jim Henson where he addressed whether it's ok for the puppeteer to be visible during a performance and as Kermit he answered "The truth of the matter is, that the frog is a great more deal interesting to look at and, uh, who notices what the bearded man is doing?"

I don't know if TailsTube is going to be scripted or if it's going to be done live with Tails reacting to chat in real time. If it's the former then it's probably no different then the Sonic twitter takeovers, but if it's the later then it's only natural that some of Colleen's genuine personality is going to leak into her portrayal of Tails' character.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the term "V-tuber", is what some are getting hung up on because they are associating it with anime, kawaii culture etc and it's hard to remove that association.

It's just a podcast/show with Tails but animated with a model (in fact I don't think the Sonic account even used the word V-Tuber).

On 3/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, nobukitsu88 said:

I think the term "V-tuber", is what some are getting hung up on because they are associating it with anime, kawaii culture etc and it's hard to remove that association.

It's just a podcast/show with Tails but animated with a model (in fact I don't think the Sonic account even used the word V-Tuber).

Yeah I think that's the case too. "V-tuber" is just "virtual youtuber" and includes any youtuber who uses a 2D or 3D avatar instead of their actual face.

It's just that the most popular ones (that the common folk tend to hear about) are all cutesy girl idols. If you look deeper there's a ton of variety like horse, furry?, devil?, and grandma. I know some people who used to do faceless letsplays decide to get a model and move to V-tubing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: YoshiAngemon

It must be a coincidental thing if timed enough to promote the movie. But I will tune in, anyway. I mean, his friends are likely to guest star, and for one or two of them, this could be a warm-up for the eventual Sonic Frontiers Twitter Takeover that will happen.

On 3/20/2022 at 5:38 PM, SBR2 said:

Apparently Ian has some knowledge of this. Wonder if any characters from the comics will appear? 

Doubt they're spending on extra models and hireing more voice actors for what is probably just promotional material.

• The title was changed to Tails Tube Thread - Episode #2 09/06/22 - Orbot
  • The title was changed to TailsTube Announced - Tails Becomes a VTuber!