Awoo.

Do you think they will ever make another RPG game like Sonic Chronicles?

juiceDpunk983

I think this series has a lot of potential as an RPG. Maybe one day they could get someone to create an RPG at the same time as the normal games. I really enjoyed Chronicles when I first played it when it was new and I would like to see a new RPG Sonic game one day.

On the actual gaming industry, I don't think soo. Traditional RPGs are something that is more to the japan and ,when we are talking about Sonic, SEGA looks first to the ocident. So the chances are near zero, it's easier to lauch a adventure game (Genre, not of Sonic Adventure) with RPG elements, which it's a shame, because I actually liked Chronicles a lot and really wanted to see a bigger Sonic RPG.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love to see another Sonic RPG game that's done right this time around.  I would love to see how they utilize each character's attack set, like maybe have Tails have some kind of flight attack and of course, have Sonic do his signature spin dash move.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think they'll go full traditional turn-based RPG for now (I say, "for now", because well, I wouldn't have believe that we would get a turn-based Yakuza, so...), but if the leak are true about Frontiers, they are going to a more "RPG-y" direction with the next game, so in a way, they seems to be going that direction. Which isn't surprising, with the past reorganisation of SEGA, and some of the other games made by SEGA CS2.

( The next steps will depends of if Sonic Frontiers works well enough, what works in it if it works, and how the things evolve for the rest of the IP. It's difficult to really predict, maybe Frontiers will be a flop and they'll get back to more linear action-adventure-plateform game. The future of Sonic is very dependant of the future of its market. )

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Sega has given up on making a Sonic spinoff that isn't a racing game, platformer, or a mobile game, so probably never. The last Sonic spinoff that wasn't any of these three was Chronicles itself after all.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have no idea. During the 2000s, Sonic was so popular that Sega released all sorts of spin-off games. Racing, fighting, RPG, tennis, the storybooks' series, etc. But, in this past decade, the franchise wasn't as strong commercially, so we didn't have the same amount of spin-offs and side projects.

Now, Sonic is becoming more popular again (probably more popular than ever), so the market for spin off games and side projects are there.

Edited by light-gaia
Grammar checking
  • Thumbs Up 3

No, BUT THEY SHOULD! Sonic Chronicles is a lot of fun, the perfect game for comic book nerds. Such irony that comics would be its downfall.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Chronicles was once justifiable when it was on DS with a low financial barrier to entry (and boy did it ever, nothing felt quite as cheap as running around those weird single view map screens).

These days, how exactly do you justify the investment to make a full console RPG with full console design expectations? Square Enix sort of found a way, but they've built up legacy and audience over literal decades (and even then, their biggest projects are still action games with RPG elements). And heck, they tried to make a big, fully formed sequel to The World Ends with You, and by all accounts, it was good, but it didn't sell.

I liked Chronicles as a novelty back in the day for all of its many, many faults, but the only place where a game like this could be made at a lower budget is mobile, and OH BOY are mobile character-collection-driven RPGs balanced to either grind time or money for painfully incremental advancement.

For me, if I want a turn-based RPG these days, I can get one, and I can get good ones over in the indie space, from Square Enix's various "retro" style developers, and my yearly Pokemon fix (with some research and effort to figure out what's actually good).

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like before we can expect a full-on RPG to come around again we'd first have to wait and see if they even bring back the RPG-ish elements of games like Adventure, Heroes and '06. The way things have been lately with the streamlined, Sonic-exclusive platformer-oriented stuff I don't see it as a natural transition the way it used to be. Forces was a step in the right direction with the (attempt) at world-building and storytelling, but if we've learned anything about Sonic Team it's that they have a tendency to over-react to negativity... and with the way people reacted to that game I don't see them trying to tell a decent story again for a while, and they'd really need that drive if they were going to pursue an RPG - especially since I doubt they'd make the "mistake" of handing one over to a third party again.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't Sonic Frontiers reported to have combat or something like that in it? Maybe they could use some new stuff from that, to create an in house turn based RPG, and to bring back the characters that haven't really done anything for the last decade.

An RPG would require Sega to have more playable characters, you can't have a turn based RPG with only 1 character (and not have it be boring as sin like Pokemon) unless the party's gonna consist of Sonic, Classic Sonic, Werehog Sonic and a bunch of wisps in a Sonic suit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love to see red-blooded Sonic RPG game, probably more than antyhing. But I'm afraid it won't happen, because (despite Sonic Frontiers) Sega is much less experimental in Sonic games now and still has a lot of problem with crunching and bad management. Which, friendly reminder, literally killed a lot of ideas from Sonic Chronicles.

• Thumbs Up 1

No. Turn base rpgs are kind of also dying. Look at the state of the Paper Mario series. Paper Mario isn't even really an rpg anymore. If we can't even get a Mario rpg that plays like an rpg, than what chance does Sonic have?

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a fair point. Mario RPGs are pretty much nonexistent as of Paper Marrio Color Splash and SEGA is not going to give us another RPG with Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think there's any third party interested in pitching an RPG idea involving Sonic to SEGA, or any willingness of the latter to dabble with this genre by the moment.

BTW, "G" is already "game" in RPG, "RPG game" is redundant.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1