Awoo.

Sonic X Subbed Blu-Ray: Why hasn't it happened?

As you people on the forums are well aware, Discotek released Sonic X on Blu-Ray for the first time anywhere a couple of years ago, 2019 I believe. There was a big downside to it though: Only the English Dub was included. Discotek did say however that a subbed Blu-Ray would be released if the dubbed Blu-Ray sold well. 3 years later, and nothing has been announced. Do you guys have any theories as to why a subbed Blu-Ray has not been released? My theory is that either the  Dub Blu-Ray did not sell well, or TMS does not want the subbed version to be released.

It could be anything, really.

My guess is that in order for them to produce such a product, the sets they put out beforehand had to sell incredibly well. Unfortunately, older anime like this tends to be considered really niche, and then on top of that you gotta remember Sonic X doesn't fit Sega's current image of Sonic; for at least a decade now they've tried to keep Sonic more western influenced, along with a bunch of other little things that could get in the way.

Anyway, the most likely answer is that most people in the US are only familiar with the dub of Sonic X which is almost two decades old now, and was released for an already oddly specific market. That means a subtitled version would be for an even more so oddly specific market. From a business standpoint, it just isn't worth it when a dubbed version already exists. Even Funimation won't reprint things like the Dragon Boxes. It's just too niche.

Maybe the compromise is having a subtitled version on Hulu and calling it a day. At least we have that.

Just now, Muglés said:

It could be anything, really.

My guess is that in order for them to produce such a product, the sets they put out beforehand had to sell incredibly well. Unfortunately, older anime like this tends to be considered really niche, and then on top of that you gotta remember Sonic X doesn't fit Sega's current image of Sonic; for at least a decade now they've tried to keep Sonic more western influenced, along with a bunch of other little things that could get in the way.

Anyway, the most likely answer is that most people in the US are only familiar with the dub of Sonic X which is almost two decades old now, and was released for an already oddly specific market. That means a subtitled version would be for an even more so oddly specific market. From a business standpoint, it just isn't worth it.

Maybe the compromise is having a subtitled version on Hulu and calling it a day. At least we have that.

Not everyone has Hulu though. Plus, some people like to own movies and TV shows physically. I actually asked one of the guys at Discotek about this on Twitter, and here is what he has to say: "As I said on the panel, we haven't announced it and have no announcements at this time. Sorry. If this ever changes, trust me, we'll blast it all over Twitter." Perhaps TMS is just holding it back from them.

That response is just standard PR talk, with a little bit of excitement thrown in at the end for if it ever does come to fruition.

Also, Hulu is much more accessible and affordable than buying physical media, especially from a company that specializes in selling niche anime DVDs in only a few stores, most of which are online.

Exactly. That's because outside of a few Sonic fans that know better, nobody will buy this. There's technically no point in doing it even if a handful of people say they want it because the demand isn't there.

The best shot they had of doing this was having it be an alternate language on the set they released a few years ago, but because the footage and runtime differ from the dub and sub, multiple angles are pretty much a no-go.

I'd love to be proven wrong someday, but things don't look good for this release in particular.

I’d say wait until someone releases an edition that includes all dubs and subs. I can understand why it didn’t sell well. Even if they included the price of the extra languages in the original package it still seems like a better idea than expecting someone to buy it in more than one language. In fact, I’m sure most people who wanted Sonic X wanted the Japanese dub with English subs. I am not one of those people because I like what the English voice actors did with the material. But I could understand where they’re coming from watching side-by-side takes of edited scenes. 

I also want them to release SATAM on Blu-Ray. I’m from the UK but bought a multi region player so I could import and watch their Sonic X and Adventures Of Sonic The Hesgehog compete series releases.

It’s annoying that in the UK that only 8!! Episodes were released on DVD.. I love how the UK often gets screwed when it comes to releases.