Awoo.

Sonic Movie 2: Alternatives to Kid Cudi

So as we all know, Kid Cudi is doing the end credits song for all versions of the Sonic movie sequel except the French version. The thing is, I don't think he really fits with Sonic. Rap is not really something associated with the Sonic franchise outside of Knuckles. Plus, Cudi has no prior connection to Sonic as far as I know. 

With that, I have a question for everyone on the forums. If you were to pick another artist to do the end credits song, who would you pick?

I will start. Obviously Crush 40 would be my number one option, but if they couldn't do it, Anamanaguchi would be my second choice. Their music has a video game-like quality due to it being chiptune.

Just now, Marcello said:

From what I can tell, the song hasn't been released yet, so how the fuck do you know it doesn't fit? 

Rap doesn't really fit with Sonic's image. I am just asking for alternative options for those who are opposed to Kid Cudi.

3 minutes ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Rap doesn't really fit with Sonic's image. I am just asking for alternative options for those who are opposed to Kid Cudi.

So...you opened a thread to criticize a song that you haven't even heard yet, simply because it doesn't align with your specific idea of how Sonic music "should be"....?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like you're going into this with bad faith and expecting to not like it based on the genre. It's fine that you personally don't like rap, but most people do and that doesn't mean it can't work with Sonic. Speed Me Up worked just fine for the first one.

It doesn't matter if you think it doesn't fit, what matters is rap is incredibly popular. Crush 40 has the games which is the main pillar of the franchise, so let the movies have a bit of their own identity too.

I do not recall this kind of reaction when Paramount wheeled out Wiz Khalifa and Ty Dolla $ign for the end music of the first movie, I don't really understand why this is even being made into a problem now. I don't mean to be dismissive, but this isn't a big deal and this is what comes with the series getting that mainstream attention you want it to have so much. And it's especially weird to keep seeing an argument that Cudi doesn't fit your image of Sonic and also arguing he has no prior connection, while saying this chiptune band doesn't have a prior connection but would be fine?

This is Smash speculation levels of shallow, man, come on. If the song's whack, oh well. It's the end theme and most people are gonna forget about it anyway.

Just now, Zaysho said:

...while saying this chiptune band doesn't have a prior connection but would be fine?

A band who makes music that sounds like a video game is far better than some random rapper. Besides, we already had a rap song in the first movie. It is better to switch it up a bit than just use another rap song. Don't get me wrong, Speed Me Up was good, but including another rap song in the second movie is just repetition. 

The first movie's score, from what little I even remember hearing of it when Schwartz wasn't running his mouth, wasn't even going for a "video game" feel just seemed like a generic movie score with orchestration and some licensed stuff mixed in, why would Anamanaguchi necessarily work? And why are they exempt from having a prior connection when that's something you're using against Cudi?

Maybe it's not "repetition," maybe this type of music is part of this version of Sonic's identity.

True that. But it is always good to do something different. Plus, the movies have kind of been lacking in the music department. Speed Me Up was good, but not great. Junkie XL's score was bland for the most part, outside of Robotnik's theme.

It’s really weird to me that they can just change whatever they want about this series for these movies with reckless abandon and the fans love it (and even complain when you don’t like it!), but rap / the lack of rock is where we draw the line. lmao 

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

A band who makes music that sounds like a video game is far better than some random rapper. Besides, we already had a rap song in the first movie. It is better to switch it up a bit than just use another rap song. Don't get me wrong, Speed Me Up was good, but including another rap song in the second movie is just repetition. 

Mate it's a media product. You put in what fits the tone and feeling you want for that specific moment of the film.