Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

As the movie has now aired in several territories, spoilers are starting to emerge online in the form of details and footage. As it will probably effect the main topic, and the west currently has to wait 7 days until it airs in their country, discussion of any and all movie spoilers should probably be contained in this thread.

Spoiler tagging and separating the spoilers might be good practice as well if you feel it is necessary, in case other people may not want to see all details of the movie at once, but regardless of that, keep in mind that this a spoiler thread and it will be discussing all of the movie, and it's merely a difference in expectations at this point if people don't follow ideal posting format to your own standards. With that in mind... let the games begin :eyes:

4f06ec20d34af4a7aa8d72f0d2befec132d29d63

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not at all shocked that Shadow is next. From what I heard, Metal Sonic doesn't even get a cameo.

29 minutes ago, Jango said:

So I guess Shadow's next, Eggman may or may not be dead (but Agent Stone is alive!). Thoughts?

Not sure how I feel about Shadow. It was inevitable of course and not a surprise he was coming. I just stand by my feelings that whenever stories focus on Shadow he inherently becomes a screen hog given his back story and everyone else is diminished. So part of me wanted a little more time with a less demanding cast for another movie. That was never going to happen, but yeah. 

23 minutes ago, Jango said:

So I guess Shadow's next, Eggman may or may not be dead (but Agent Stone is alive!). Thoughts?

Well to start, I heard about it from the leak that ended up true months ago, and went from denying that it could be real outright to dreading it as it looked like it was real after all lol. Mainly around the idea of Shadow being present in a Sonic movie, and especially without his backstory. Remove the core of his turn to be a hero and you essentially have Boom Shadow or a fleshy Metal Sonic for GUN, both of which are less than ideal or interesting, and seem to throw Shadow into the fray just because he would get people into seats. I didn't want it to be the case, because not only would it create a sub par Shadow in the process, but it would skip and screw over better villains for a third movie imo, such as Chaos. (Getting to see a version of Station Square being destroyed by perfect chaos on the big screen would be perfection and without any baggage holding it back)

So, hearing about how inevitable it was, made me kinda bummed about it tbh...

...(this is the part where, if you're a Sonic fan and you value your first time experience, you click off in disappointment or for your own good for what comes next)...

Spoiler

... unTILL I HEARD FROM THE LEAKS TODAY "from the project 50 years ago" YEEEEEEAAAAAAA

BACKSTORY AND CHARACTER MOTIVATION

goku-ssj.gif

ARK, GERALD, MARIA, BIOLIZARD MAYBE?!?!

afddb60ce13b1c6ec414057ddf922994.gif

SA2 HOMAGES AND STORY ON THE FULL SCREEN LETS. FUCKING. GOOOOOOOOOOOO

0e1.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

I think they are only leaving Eggman's supposed death open because Jim Carrey is a bit of a wild card in terms of his extended stay in this franchise. So it'll depend whether they get him back or not. '

But yeah, Shadow was stupidly obvious. Everyone near the mainstream wants to see him, so of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that's really gonna leave me skeptical is that if they're going to adapt Shadow's entire story, that's definitely leaving a lot less room for other characters to be involved.

Even in SA2 proper, outside of Sonic and Eggman, nobody else really has anything else to do with Shadow's plot.

And seemingly no Rouge or Amy means that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles Robotnik, ans the Walchoskis are gonna be the central cast.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this works. SA2 is roughly 10 hours and now it has to be cut down to about 2.

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

The only thing that's really gonna leave me skeptical is that if they're going to adapt Shadow's entire story, that's definitely leaving a lot less room for other characters to be involved.

Even in SA2 proper, outside of Sonic and Eggman, nobody else really has anything else to do with Shadow's plot.

And seemingly no Rouge or Amy means that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles Robotnik, ans the Walchoskis are gonna be the central cast.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this works. SA2 is roughly 10 hours and now it has to be cut down to about 2.

To be fair, a lot of that plot is dragging things out. Ignoring the escapades of Knuckles and Rouge, you have the government chasing Sonic, to his imprisonment and escaping of Prison island, followed by a lot of padding to get the characters into the ARK. Really, nothing important happens until the raid on the ARK from a plot standpoint. 

And I doubt they are only going to just introduce Shadow. They'll find a way to get other characters into the cast, and I'm sure it'll be sloppy. 

13 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

And I doubt they are only going to just introduce Shadow. They'll find a way to get other characters into the cast, and I'm sure it'll be sloppy. 

Wait how is it guaranteed to be sloppy, they have an entire TV show lined up before the movie releases that can be used to segway characters into the main story

In fact all they need is rouge and maybe Amy, and that's SA2's entire roster covered

Just now, The Deleter said:

Wait how is it guaranteed to be sloppy, they have an entire TV show lined up before the movie releases that can be used to segway characters into the main story

In fact all they need is rouge and maybe Amy, and that's SA2's entire roster covered

Oh yeah, the tv series. Um, that may be complex in it's own right. Because the filmmakers will probably be butting heads with producers on how many people actually saw the series and if it should be heavily referenced in the movies.

I remember this being a big sticking point with the Disney sequels that had TV shows. The filmmakers weren't allowed to reference the series themselves. 

Granted, this is a new era of connectivity to maybe it'll just be treated as required watching material.

33 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

All the cutscenes add up to only about 1.5-2 hours. Rouge could be introduced via the Knuckles show or even Sonic 3.  She was introduced in SA2 without issue, and these movies have a trend of introducing two game characters per movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

All the cutscenes add up to only about 1.5-2 hours. Rouge could be introduced via the Knuckles show or even Sonic 3.  She was introduced in SA2 without issue, and these movies have a trend of introducing two game characters per movie.

Can you call it a trend if its only happened once?

In any case, I'd rather Rouge come in the Knuckles show. Less of a cast to work with, in SA2 Rouge is kind of...superfluous.

Id rather she get established in another show before debuting ina film.

40 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

To be fair, a lot of that plot is dragging things out. Ignoring the escapades of Knuckles and Rouge, you have the government chasing Sonic, to his imprisonment and escaping of Prison island, followed by a lot of padding to get the characters into the ARK. Really, nothing important happens until the raid on the ARK from a plot standpoint. 

True, but it still gave Knuckles something to do in the plot as opposed to just existing.

I don’t really know what to think.

Shadow has the highest selling point, no doubt about it, but I’m not entirely happy with this choice, mostly because I think Chaos and Metal would have felt more natural within the story.

Now we surely have 2 more characters to be introduced : Amy and Rouge. 3 new characters in the same movie would be really too much (not considering the eventuality of having both Gerald and Maria too).

I hope the tv show will introduce at least one of the ladies… maybe they could revisit the Chaos story but throwing Rouge into the mix and explain her backstory and rivalry with Knuckles in the first place.

One important point is if Sonic will be featured  in the show somehow, but I don’t know if Team Sonic decide to stay on Earth at the end of sonic 2

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, DaN said:

I don’t really know what to think.

Shadow has the highest selling point, no doubt about it, but I’m not entirely happy with this choice, mostly because I think Chaos and Metal would have felt more natural within the story.

Now we surely have 2 more characters to be introduced : Amy and Rouge. 3 new characters in the same movie would be really too much (not considering the eventuality of having both Gerald and Maria too).

I hope the tv show will introduce at least one of the ladies… maybe they could revisit the Chaos story but throwing Rouge into the mix and explain her backstory and rivalry with Knuckles in the first place.

One important point is if Sonic will be featured  in the show somehow, but I don’t know if Team Sonic decide to stay on Earth at the end of sonic 2

Here's something interesting the films could do, if this works out. Since the Biolizard and by extension Shadow were inspired by Chaos on Angel Island, they could actually be used as a natural build up to the Chaos storyline ala Avengers. So it can work out that way.

6 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Here's something interesting the films could do, if this works out. Since the Biolizard and by extension Shadow were inspired by Chaos on Angel Island, they could actually be used as a natural build up to the Chaos storyline ala Avengers. So it can work out that way.

Now this is an interesting Idea! I like that

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Can you call it a trend if its only happened once?

Twice. Sonic and Robotnik in Sonic 1, then Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 2

I think they should, but maybe won't, kill Shadow at the end of Sonic 3 like in SA2, and explore his past in a Paramount+ series, like they're doing with Knux. And then bring Metal Sonic into Sonic 4 maybe? Oh god, we're gonna have a SONIC 4 movie, aren't we? As you truly imagined it.

• Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Twice. Sonic and Robotnik in Sonic 1, then Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 2

See, I'm hesitant to count Sonic 1 since its literally the protagonist and antagonist being introduced.

Not that I doubt them introducing another character, I just wouldn't say the first two films set the precedent.

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

I think they should, but maybe won't, kill Shadow at the end of Sonic 3 like in SA2, and explore his past in a Paramount+ series, like they're doing with Knux. And then bring Metal Sonic into Sonic 4 maybe? Oh god, we're gonna have a SONIC 4 movie, aren't we? As you truly imagined it.

I feel like killing off Shadow and then replacing him with Metal Sonic would be redundant.

Think about it "ok, so had Sonic fight a dark version of himself in the third film. So for the 4th film, we'll have him fight a robotic version of himself but with no personality whatsoever"

Like Shadow being used so early kind of dicked over Metal Sonic, because even if he is used later, he's gonna come off as redundant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only as much as Shadow's redundant when movie 2 is about Sonic fighting a spiky superpowered animal.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

NGL, I hope they keep Shadow dead. But. I wouldn't mind seeing Shadow Android take his place in a Team Dark spinoff.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Only as much as Shadow's redundant when movie 2 is about Sonic fighting a spiky superpowered animal.

That's still less redundant because at least Knuckles has an entirely different powerset and personality to set him apart from Shadow or Metal.

Shadow and Metal have different personalities and powersets. They're more similar to each other than to Knuckles, sure, but not by some huge amount.

OK, but what IF Sonic doesn't fight Shadow? We don't know yet. I mean... It's the most obvious choice, but still. I wish they could do something else with him, as much as Shadow vs Sonic is always cool. But goddamn it, I wanted a race against Metal first.

14 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

That's my concern as well, especially, if they indeed plan to remove or tone down his backstory because "It Is ToO dArK fOr ChIlDrEn MoViE." The only way I can see this work is making Shadow ongoing threat and antagonist for more than one movie and then culminating his story in SA2 movie adaption (4th or 5th movie in the series).

I just can't imagine how they would be able to successfully adapt SA2 in the next movie. I wish we had CD and SA1 movies first, because I think it would just be more natural progression and more character development time.

9 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Shadow and Metal have different personalities and powersets. They're more similar to each other than to Knuckles, sure, but not by some huge amount.

True,  but I feel like you would need to space their appearances apart to make them feel less derivative. There's an eight year gap between Metal and Shadow's respective debuts.