Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

31 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I find it funny too, because the reactions to how the humans have been handled is all over the place from both professional critics and the fanbase as a whole. And the thing is, both critics and fans agree the human segments are the weakest parts, it's just the reaction that is different. 

Critics feel like the humans feel too disconnected compared to the first movie, and thus they should have been more organically involved in the plot. (Hence all of the memes of fans balking "MOAR HUMANS, BAH") 

While fans feel like the human stuff was getting in the way of the more Sonic related stuff and shouldn't have been in the movie period. 

Yea, it's definitely not an easily solved problem because fans and critics want too entirely different types of movies; fans obviously want more Sonic stuff and less human stuff, while critics, at the very least, want something that meshes both together more seamlessly. 

I feel like with Shadow coming in the 3rd movie, it's a good chance to do that since Shadow's story is linked to humans and their interactions with the anthros. 

Actually I think most opinions I've seen from fans who've seen the movie thus far are pretty human positive, I haven't read any critic reviews.  Most people seem to be more about the execution rather than the fact there are human-focused scenes at all.  Now granted, I'm sure literally all of us groaned when we first heard that it was gonna be a live-action + animation romp with prominent human characters, and pretty much all of us would rather this was a fully animated, fully fantasy affair.  But the general conversation seems to be starting from a place of acceptance that Tom and Maddie are main characters, and as long as that's the case, we want the films to find a way to make us care about them more than we currently do.

But granted, the opinions of those coming out within days of the movie's release are probably from those who were excited about it to some degree and have the ability to put aside what they wish the movie was in an act of good faith to try and appreciate what it is trying to be.

That's how I feel anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

I can't believe that showed a main character's parent! That is incredible, given Sega's stance on this before!

Since Knuckles's father wasn't given a name, I suggest the fan-name of Pacal (A Mayan King, since the echidna tribe takes influences from the Maya) until if/when it is revealed!

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Mobius_Historian said:

Since Knuckles's father wasn't given a name, I suggest the fan-name of Pacal (A Mayan King, since the echidna tribe takes influences from the Maya) until if/when it is revealed!

Why can't his name be Fists, since he's Knuckles' father?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

Why can't his name be Fists, since he's Knuckles' father?

Fists is good too, I was just going for the tribe's naming scheme (Tikal, Pachacamac, etc.) and too many OCs have used 'Fists the Echidna'.

As long as it isn't Locke, I'm happy! XD

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I wonder who could play Gerald Robotnik. If he shows up.

Bryan Cranston. Tell me that wouldn’t be a perfect casting.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seems like the Serbia segment was really a marmite part for viewers. I absolutely loved it all, the dance part was fantastic (okay it got a tad cringe at the very end, but on the whole I’m open to this kind of thing and I loved it for all of its levels of ridiculousness) and the kids in my cinema were really loving it. Did take me a second watch to realise that the poor guy who lost must have been thrown in the fire after. Really changes how I view that fireplace scene knowing that XD

The conversation that happened after the dancey bit was just pure and wholesome, I wish we had more of that sort of stuff in the games, plus the way Sonic woke up afterwards got a huge laugh out of me.

I really was expecting Sonic to go back to his home world at the end (with the option of staying frequently connected to his adoptive family via ring portals) so it surprised me that he didn’t and the adoptivr family just got bigger instead, but I guess with there being 3 Guardians of the Master Emerald now who seem to need to stick together, plus Shadow, it makes story-sense why they kept him here.

7 hours ago, caitash said:

Seems like the Serbia segment was really a marmite part for viewers. I absolutely loved it all, the dance part was fantastic (okay it got a tad cringe at the very end, but on the whole I’m open to this kind of thing and I loved it for all of its levels of ridiculousness) and the kids in my cinema were really loving it. Did take me a second watch to realise that the poor guy who lost must have been thrown in the fire after. Really changes how I view that fireplace scene knowing that XD

I LOVED it.

“Oh my God its a dance fight!” - That line cracked me up. 

On a side note, so glad Sonic has smashed it again at the box office. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, JezMM said:

Actually I think most opinions I've seen from fans who've seen the movie thus far are pretty human positive, I haven't read any critic reviews.  Most people seem to be more about the execution rather than the fact there are human-focused scenes at all.  Now granted, I'm sure literally all of us groaned when we first heard that it was gonna be a live-action + animation romp with prominent human characters, and pretty much all of us would rather this was a fully animated, fully fantasy affair.  But the general conversation seems to be starting from a place of acceptance that Tom and Maddie are main characters, and as long as that's the case, we want the films to find a way to make us care about them more than we currently do.

But granted, the opinions of those coming out within days of the movie's release are probably from those who were excited about it to some degree and have the ability to put aside what they wish the movie was in an act of good faith to try and appreciate what it is trying to be.

That's how I feel anyway.

I honestly felt the opposite, as someone who just found them meh in the first movie (Tom and Stone are the only ones I find entertaining, and Jojo's moment with Sonic is nice if nothing else), but here, I think only Stone really works.

Maddie's still just pretty bland to me as a character, Rachel's jokes start and stop as angry Bridezilla, and wear extremely thin quickly. Jojo is reduced to an extremely small bit role at best despite having one of the best connections with Sonic out of the humans, Tom gets absolutely nothing to do this time around, and the whole arc they try to shove in slapdash with Sonic needing to accept Tom as his dad not only is at complete odds with the first movie, and feels like the producers went "oh shit, we gotta bring in tails, so tom can't be his best friend", but it's poorly set-up, clashes against the arc of this movie, which is about Sonic accepting responsibility, and growing to be independent, and as much as I don't like to say it - Sonic calling him dad at the end just honestly felt pretty cringe to me.

I feel like Stone works because Eggman always has his comedic sidekick characters, and he works in the same way Snively works - a human companion who has his own reasons for working with Eggman, and has the same hammy shtick that Eggman himself has. I really like how unique he actually is among all the Eggman minions as this guy who genuinely worships the ground Eggman walks on, and is modelling himself as a proper protégé. He's like a less annoying and hypocritical Starline.

I feel like the problem is that the humans are characters on a limited timeframe. This movie shows it more than anything else - Tom existed only as a surrogate relatable everyman because they thought Sonic couldn't carry the first movie alone, and now - when they're finally realising that people wanna see these movies because of Sonic the Hedgehog, the humans (except Stone) essentially have no purpose. And personally at some point, I feel like they'd really be better off finding a reason to have Sonic ditch Tom, because at some point, it's gonna be trying to slot a square peg into a round hole - where you want to have all these grander adventures with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and whoever else, and you have to keep finding random excuses to make up a reason why the humans aren't just worthless tag-alongs who provide nothing beneficial whatsoever. Literally the fact they felt the need to halt the movie's pacing for 15 minutes for the sake of justifying the humans go to show how much they've run their course, and we're only two movies in IMO.

• Thumbs Up 5

If this movie makes enough money, I can see them pushing the humans even further to the side.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

6 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If this movie makes enough money, I can see them pushing the humans even further to the side.

It also established GUN and spent a fair amount on the Wachowski's. I think they are here to stay even if they do not dominate the screentime.

I do like the live action realistic world approach myself so I do not really see a problem with it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Funny, cuz for all it’s highlights, I think that going live action was a big mistake. Its success completely invalidates my scorn, so while I wish they made it animated instead of live action, I can let it slide—besides, it’s just one component.

That said, after seeing spoilers, I want to really get this one off my chest:

DON’T ANY OF YOU YOU TELL ME THE MASTER EMERALD IS USELESS EVER AGAIN!

Mind you, they did something with it that even would never have thought of, which is even bigger props because it’s the kind of creativity I’ve been wanting. That, and Knuckles has a alternate backstory here, so I’m not anal about him guarding it (as I’ve said many times before, “alternate takes, alternate rules”).

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Funny, cuz for all it’s highlights, I think that going live action was a big mistake. Its success completely invalidates my scorn, so while I wish they made it animated instead of live action, I can let it slide—besides, it’s just one component.

That said, after seeing spoilers, I want to really get this one off my chest:

DON’T ANY OF YOU YOU TELL ME THE MASTER EMERALD IS USELESS EVER AGAIN!

Mind you, they did something with it that even would never have thought of, which is even bigger props because it’s the kind of creativity I’ve been wanting. That, and Knuckles has a alternate backstory here, so I’m not anal about him guarding it (as I’ve said many times before, “alternate takes, alternate rules”).

I think it says a lot that they just upped and combined the Chaos and Master Emeralds together and cut the middleman out. So now they're functionally the same.

27 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I think it says a lot that they just upped and combined the Chaos and Master Emeralds together and cut the middleman out. So now they're functionally the same.

They were always functionally the same even when separate, just that the Master Emerald had the power to cancel out the Chaos Emeralds.

Combining them into one is more something that they took inspiration from the Archie comics back when Penders was in charge, combining Chaos Emeralds and what not into larger ones back when things were a lot looser and up for multiple interpretations.

Either way works, so I’m not really complaining. I’m just glad they showed something else you can do with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Come to think of it... did the Chaos Emeralds get re-merged into the Master Emerald at the end? I know Knuckles put it back together, but I don't recall seeing the various colours of the Chaos Emeralds as he did so.

5 minutes ago, NegaMix said:

Come to think of it... did the Chaos Emeralds get re-merged into the Master Emerald at the end? I know Knuckles put it back together, but I don't recall seeing the various colours of the Chaos Emeralds as he did so.

Hm. I think without the chaos emeralds, but I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, NegaMix said:

No I’m pretty sure they went up in that beam of light and disappeared (/scattered across the universe like dragonballs). There wasn’t any glimmer of colours amongst the shards fused back together by Knux anyway. Which might mean the game is on if Paramount Shadow needs to find one of the chaos emeralds of if he can use his own built-in weird lightning power to do his chaos control stuff.

1 hour ago, caitash said:

No I’m pretty sure they went up in that beam of light and disappeared (/scattered across the universe like dragonballs). There wasn’t any glimmer of colours amongst the shards fused back together by Knux anyway. Which might mean the game is on if Paramount Shadow needs to find one of the chaos emeralds of if he can use his own built-in weird lightning power to do his chaos control stuff.

Hey!  You might be on to something there.

1 hour ago, caitash said:

That's what I thought had happened too. I'd assume that, since the Master Emerald was initially created to literally contain the Chaos Emeralds and their power, it probably retains some of that power even now. Thus, bringing it more in-line with how the games handle it (minus the whole "keeping Angel Island afloat" part, at least).

If the Chaos Emeralds are separated, though, I'm curious to see if/how they'll be incorporated into the third one. At the very least, it wouldn't be surprising for Shadow to get at least one of them.

Speaking of the chaos emeralds, how visually awesome was that little segment where it showed the origins of them fusing them in to the master emerald with the echidnas vs owls? My other half reckons Marza did that part but I’ve no idea haha. I loved the sudden visual shift anyway.

2 hours ago, NegaMix said:

That's what I thought had happened too. I'd assume that, since the Master Emerald was initially created to literally contain the Chaos Emeralds and their power, it probably retains some of that power even now. Thus, bringing it more in-line with how the games handle it (minus the whole "keeping Angel Island afloat" part, at least).

If the Chaos Emeralds are separated, though, I'm curious to see if/how they'll be incorporated into the third one. At the very least, it wouldn't be surprising for Shadow to get at least one of them.

I think it's actually a neat way how they did it - the games always made it unclear specifically how the Chaos Emeralds connected to the Master Emerald, beyond the Master Emerald being capable of nullifying their power.

Here, it makes a bit more sense because it'd naturally have to have some power as is to contain the Chaos Emeralds' energy, and it specifically explains why it nullifies and connects to the Chaos Emeralds - the Master Emerald is literally designed to contain and link their power, so it could be reasoned that after so long, even when split up - the master emerald now maintains the link to the Chaos Emeralds.

I am not sure whether or not it counts as a spoiler, so I'm putting it here. According to Tyson Hesse, the symbols are supposed to be reference to Riders

• Thumbs Up 2

The humans here are better than Chris at least. And although it seems casual movie fans and critics like the humans Sonic fans want to see more sonic. BUT that said they will not push them completely to the side. They will need to find a better way to use them in the future but they are need to ground the film. Ive seen many :mostly: younger fans that seem to think this series is just going to bloom into something that has the entire cast of the games and that most likely will not happen. Such as the transformers films. They include a handful of mainstays but noting that will get casuals compactly lost. When you start adding in to much you risk a overstuffed film where its just not a good or fun film. Sonics "parents" are here to stay. Their roles in the future will more than likely involve them safekeeping something or getting their even more use to their current world when not on adventures.

That said you go to far one way on the spectrum you end up with a film series like RE and the other Transformers. You need to settle in the middle ground.

Got to see Sonic 2 tonight! Here's my quick review.

The positives: This is a well-done adaptation of Sonic 2 and 3 while using what came from the original and expanding upon it.

Idris Elba as Knuckles stole the show. Both intimidating and hilarious. Everything he thinks of from a warrior's perspective. He's a Klingon and Drax the destroyer rolled into one. This is now my favorite Knuckles ever.

Tails was adorable as a Sonic stan coming to earth to help save his hero. Super-smart and full of gadgets, but lacking in self-confidence. Seeing him and Sonic bond the way Tom and Sonic bonded in the first movie was heartwarming.

Sonic gets a ton of character growth here. Going from an immature kid who's a wannabe hero to having to protect this younger kid
(Tails) and learning responsibility along the way. He's more likeable in this one than in the first.

The third act is action-packed with some awesome moments and everyone cheered during the after-credits scene.

The Negatives: Jim Carrey went too far in his performance as Dr. Robotnik this time. He was silly in the last movie, but not over the top. Here, he makes the Riddler or even the Mask look tame in comparison. There are times he stops and does something wacky for no reason and is out of character. Where in his last performance, he was at a 9, here, he's at a 12. It's too much.

While the human story does connect to the main adventure, there's a side story with Maddie and her sister that really should have been cut. Shockingly with the exception of Tom (James Marsden), the side cast gets more lines in this movie than the last one.

Overall: 8-8.5 out of 10. I may need to see it a second time to fully process it.
  • Thumbs Up 1