Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

Was wondering is anyone noticed the water slide in the temple scene where sonic makes in his entrance was a little reference to Labarinth Zone?

• Thumbs Up 4

I really think introducing Amy into the films really fits with the movies' desire to focus on relationships and growing up. I totally want to see how the Wachowski's deal with Sonic falling in love.

I saw a great suggestion somewhere else to have Amy be a childhood friend of Sonic's so she does not have to start that relationship with Sonic from scratch.

I hope they develop Sonic & Tails' friendship more in the next movie. It was a little lacking in this one.

• Thumbs Up 4

28 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

I hope they develop Sonic & Tails' friendship more in the next movie. It was a little lacking in this one.

I think they will cement it more in the next one. I think what they did was enough, considering I think the events of the whole film was set over…. 2 or 3 days? Give or take the last 5 minutes which I don’t know how long after the last battle it was set anyway. I think it risked coming off as jarringly strong though if they dialed it up too quickly. We also never got Tails proper backstory in this did we? Just a brief ‘Oh I had no friends because people thought I was weird’, but the way he completely froze up in that Siberian bar suggests he’s probably been through some pretty tough stuff.

But I definitely, absolutely, and without any doubt want and expect to see it go properly unbreakable bond in the 3rd movie. I know they are not directly adapting any single game’s story, but I really hope we get a parallel moment from SA2 in Sonic Movie 3 where Sonic appears to be dead and Tails just goes into full avenge mode and shows what he’s properly capable of now he has a bit of experience and confidence behind him (and hopefully activates his own powers in the process and gets the glowing yellow/orange eyes to match Sonic and Knuckles’ power-ups. Hey, a girl can dream right?)

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, MooreThanCosplay said:

Was wondering is anyone noticed the water slide in the temple scene where sonic makes in his entrance was a little reference to Labarinth Zone?

The entire area is Labyrinth Zone; the crystals can be seen decorating the place, and the owl faces appear as part of the totem blocks in the walls, covered in vines. And that's not to mention that the area is full of traps, is a literal labyrinth, easily fills with water, and even has the large cavernous background with cracks of light from above, as Labyrinth Zone has in the Sonic 1 beta.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed the film the other day, it somehow exceeded my expectations and I was already hype for it. It's not perfect, human segments go on a bit too long, especially with the wedding scene (the GUN agent reveal was fucking hilarious, especially with the priest). Overall I do still like the humans, some are fun like that incompetent cop in Green Hills and Stone with his latte scenes. Good shit.

I expected some ham, cheese, and a bit of cringe, as it's a kids movie, didn't bother me too much. Sonic calling Tom "dad" though? Ehhhhhh nah lmao

And FINALLY a Knuckles I really like again. His opening scene was intimidating as hell when he comes out the giant ring. And I absolutely loved the bouts between him and Sonic. That "Ice Cap" battle had some great quips as well.

"I've trained my entire life for this!"

"And I have no training at all, yet here I am, still ahead of you! Isn't that's embarrassing?" Absolutely savage.

I wonder if that Knuckles baseball segment was not only a callback to the first film, but also that terrible McDonald's commercial.

Tails was also enjoyable here, I never felt like he was underutilized. His little lethal gadgets like the one Rachel used on the cake were both absurd, fun and useful for the later battles.

I was pissed when I randomly heard about the Death Egg Robot being in the film a few weeks ago, but I forgot about it by the time I saw it, so glad I'm not online as much now, keep the surprises). And I was surprised to see the route they went with Eggman, didn't catch on to what he was making until I noticed we was only collecting metal. Also, a human/non hedgehog/machine using the power of the emeralds? Something I low key always wanted to see from Eggman. He has a strong enough will (and terrible thoughts) to use this thing. 

Also, didn't see Super Sonic coming or Shadow. I did get fleetway vibes in the fadeout scene, even though I never fully read that comic. For Shadow, as soon as the GUN soldiers mentioned the database for Robotnik, I was like awww shit. Only unfortunate thing is that Metal may not get a chance to shine, and it's a shame too, because other Eggman incarnations have that twisted perception of Metal being the Sonic he wants so badly. Plus he's usually always hanging on to that quill in the movies so that could have been interesting. Although that Shadow reveal was hype, I'm still not quite ready for him just yet in the 3rd film.

Overall great time. Here's to them fine tuning the balance between human/anthro scenes better and expanding on the alternate take regarding the emerald lore. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, caitash said:

We also never got Tails proper backstory in this did we? Just a brief ‘Oh I had no friends because people thought I was weird’, but the way he completely froze up in that Siberian bar suggests he’s probably been through some pretty tough stuff.

But I definitely, absolutely, and without any doubt want and expect to see it go properly unbreakable bond in the 3rd movie. I know they are not directly adapting any single game’s story, but I really hope we get a parallel moment from SA2 in Sonic Movie 3 where Sonic appears to be dead and Tails just goes into full avenge mode and shows what he’s properly capable of now he has a bit of experience and confidence behind him (and hopefully activates his own powers in the process and gets the glowing yellow/orange eyes to match Sonic and Knuckles’ power-ups. Hey, a girl can dream right?)

Well, there are rumours of a "Tails solo movie" going around, so maybe they will save his backstory for that (If said movie get's confirmed of course, Don't get your hopes up just yet!) 

SOURCE: Exclusive: Tails Solo Movie In Development (giantfreakinrobot.com)

SOURCE 2: ‘We’re creating a Sonic cinematic universe’, says movie producer | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

SOURCE 3: Sonic Producer Confirms Paramount Is Building A Sonic Cinematic Universe (thegamer.com)

• Thumbs Up 1

The sham wedding and GUN reveal took me by surprise and not in a good way, because it felt like an awful lot had to have gone right for the mission to succeed. They all planned and assembled this wedding to capture Sonic who wasn't there for most of it and had no intention of being there, right up until the ring exchange when Sonic clear on the other side of the world was in trouble and phoned Tom for assistance.

Feels like Eggman's mission and GUN's mission weren't interconnected so how on Earth did GUN expect to capture Sonic at this wedding with every guest including the priest armed and ready to take Sonic downtown? As far as Tom and Maddie were concerened, Sonic was at home house and dog sitting. Not on a mission to find the master emerald with a new fox companion.

It was complete accident that the plan succeeded. Sonic and Tails were about to be caught in an avalanche, calls Tom to use the ring that was supposed to be used to teleport Tom and Maddie home and get them to Hawaii in safety. Call this a very happy accident for GUN, because in the covert way they were operating, and Sonic's no show at the start, they had to be thinking what can bring Sonic here.

Maybe they were ready in case but planned to keep the charade going long enough until it does succeed. Like Tom and Maddie bringing Sonic to meet the newlyweds after the honeymoon.

1 hour ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Well, there are rumours of a "Tails solo movie" going around, so maybe they will save his backstory for that (If said movie get's confirmed of course, Don't get your hopes up just yet!) 

SOURCE: Exclusive: Tails Solo Movie In Development (giantfreakinrobot.com)

SOURCE 2: ‘We’re creating a Sonic cinematic universe’, says movie producer | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

SOURCE 3: Sonic Producer Confirms Paramount Is Building A Sonic Cinematic Universe (thegamer.com)

Man, I would love a Tails solo movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

Man, I would love a Tails solo movie.

So would I. But again, Don't expect anything until it comes straight from the horse's mouth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do love how the head of G.U.N. has been this constant shill for Olive Garden since the first movie.

I do wonder if Olive Garden guy is supposed to be the G.U.N commander from Shadow the Hedgehog, or is at least being retrofitted into being him? Him already having knowledge of Shadow and having an appearance that could fit suggests that to me. 

4 hours ago, Slashy said:

What other post-credits scenes do you think could cause hype reactions from the crowd?

Mario reveal, if only because "HOLY SHIT MARIO AND SONIC CROSSOVER MOVIE?!"

Saw the movie last night and had some time to think about it. 

It was really good, WAY better than the first one! The first was just alright, a decent enough action comedy road trip (not really a road trip since they only go to one location right?) movie which does a decent job introducing Sonic, Dr Robotnik and the human characters. This one however goes right into the lore and stuff with the echidnas and owls, lots of game and comic references. Lots of action, lots of great locations like Labyrinth zone. I loved Knuckles, LOVED Knuckles. Holy shit, best character in the movie hands down!! I am one happy Knuckles fan, they finally got him right and Idris Elba is perfect for the voice. I also thought he was the funniest character, definitely gave me the most laughs.

Spoiler

The ice cream scene at the end: “Does it have grapes?” Great reference to Knuxie’s love for grapes! ❤️ 

Of course Sonic is still the cutie kiddy hedgehog with some fun catchphrases and dumb pop culture references, but ehhh I can let that slide. With the introduction of a certain black hedgehog in the third movie, the experience will hopefully mature him. Tails was super cute, though I do wish he shared more screentime with Sonic.

Dr Robotnik was OTT as always but still fun to watch and Agent Stone was great. Some of the humour is still hit and miss where I’d laugh and other times just roll my eyes. Some scenes did go on for too long and human characters are just kind of there most of the time. They had their moments sure, me and my partner were in stitches at the wedding GUN infiltration scene, but other than that I just wanted to get to Sonic & Friends! 

I did not expect Super Sonic at the end, that was great. And mid credits scene was expected but cool I guess. I’m really, really curious to see how they’re gonna do Shadow’s origin. I’m open to a different interpretation although I would prefer something like the games. Just…please don’t make him an asshole like he currently is. 

Overall, me and my partner really liked it and I personally can’t wait for the Knuckles tv show! 😍 Oh and also baby Knuckles AAHHHH SO CUTE! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, Slashy said:

What other post-credits scenes do you think could cause hype reactions from the crowd?

I would have been far more hype if there was a Little Planet tease during the post-credits. Would have been a good excuse to have Sonic and crew away on a world more closely resembling their own rather than more Earth/Human based shenanigans with Shadow. Plus Amy could have been introduced similar to Sonic CD, she uses a ring to visit cause of a tarot card reading about having a "destined encounter" there and bumps into Sonic. Plus movie designed Metal Sonic joining the fight when Eggman goes there to secure its Time Stones to rewind time and beat Sonic when they first met and be able to claim the Master Emerald this time round.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Tenko said:

I would have been far more hype if there was a Little Planet tease during the post-credits. Would have been a good excuse to have Sonic and crew away on a world more closely resembling their own rather than more Earth/Human based shenanigans with Shadow. Plus Amy could have been introduced similar to Sonic CD, she uses a ring to visit cause of a tarot card reading about having a "destined encounter" there and bumps into Sonic. Plus movie designed Metal Sonic joining the fight when Eggman goes there to secure its Time Stones to rewind time and beat Sonic when they first met and be able to claim the Master Emerald this time round.

I think they still want the human world shenanigans to justify it being live action.

I do not know how you build a 100 minute film from Sonic CD. Amy is a good character but she does not drive that story.

You could combine elements of Sonic CD (Amy Rose, Metal Sonic, Little Planet, Time Stones) with the Time Eater from Sonic Generations. It could make for an interesting story, if done right.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still cannot believe we got a Sonic 06 reference and a good one at that. It was beat for beat the same camera shot and everything when Super Sonic tipped over the Death Egg Robo

A bit late, but on the topic of Sonic adaptation and characterization, I think a big thing that's left out of the conversation is that game Sonic didn't really have consistent characterization until Adventure due to the different localizations and lack of dialogue in the games prior to that point. I do think there are core aspects of Sonic that manifest in at least most adaptations of the character, such as his impulsiveness, attitude, drive to do what's good, etc.

But then you have SatAM Sonic, who lost his home and his uncle as a little kid and is stuck fighting an uphill battle alongside his friends with only small victories throughout the show. He's a more openly emotional Sonic, showing more vulnerabilities and points and while he still has a free and adventurous spirit, he is 'grounded' in both his home and his goals.

Then there's AoStH Sonic who's a lot zanier just by virtue of the series' tone. Boom Sonic from what I remember had a bit more dry wit and was also a Sonic with a home rather than a globe trotting adventurer.

I guess to me, it's weird in that... we live in a world where so many iconic characters vary a lot between adaptations and continuities. TMNT, Batman, Transformers, just to name a few.

Movie Sonic is not game Sonic, and I definitely get why that would upset people who favor his game characterization, but I feel like the film universe is still made with a lot of love for the games. It's just that its Sonic is meant to be a younger, less experienced Sonic who brings in some of that tragedy from the western canons (e.g. losing a home and a family at a young age). My approach has always been to treat each iteration of Sonic as a separate character, much like how the various versions of the Ninja Turtles differ considerably.

As for Shadow, we'll have to see what they do. My bets are on SA2 without Amy and with some liberties taken. It'd be cool if they DID bring Amy in, but I feel like introducing her, Rouge, and Shadow all at once would be a lot to juggle on top of the larger scale GUN/Project Shadow storyline.

• Thumbs Up 3

To late for me to stay up and contribute to this thread, but I wanted to say I saw the movie. Its very juvenile (even more-so than the first one somehow) but overall it is highly enjoyable. There was a lot crammed in there to like.

but honestly my favorite detail was the GUN commander so casually dismissing the idea of Eggman surviving. Didn't even register to him. Wrote him right off. Loved it. Thats the kind of video game logic I wanted to see. lol

I'm still riding the high from seeing the film on Wednesday. As far as a live action Hollywood Sonic the Hedgehog movie goes, I can't imagine it getting much better than this.

I feel they struck a near-perfect balance with the Sonic/human stuff. Tom and crew get their little moments to shine, but the focus is still given mostly to Sonic and his crew. I didn't even mind the silly human shenanigans. Frankly, I love those guys now. Not as much as the game characters obviously, but they're charming in their own right. Rachel went from a non-entity in the first film to a hoot and a half this time around. As goofy as that whole wedding subplot was, I was thoroughly entertained every second of it.

Tails was spot-on. Eager, helpful, lacking in confidence, obsessed with adoration for Sonic...every aspect of his character was perfectly done. This might be my favorite version of the character, and I've never really been much of a Tails fan.

Knuckles was the highlight of the film. He's naïve and kind of slow on the uptake, but considering his sheltered lifestyle, it's perfectly understandable, and there's no point in the film where you feel they're making him needlessly stupid for the sake of a gag (take note, Sonic Team). He's still competent and downright intimidating when he needs to be. Another spot-on character portrayal, especially compared to how poorly the Sonic writers aside from Ian have written the character over the past 15 or so years. Knuckles is BACK and quite possibly better than ever.

Carrey continues to kill it as Robotnik. He's pretty far removed from his game counterpart, but he's made the character his own, and I adore this brand new take on the villain I've loved for the past 30 years. And pretty much every line that came out of his mouth was hilarious. Yeah, he's basically Jim Carrey being himself, but it works. Dude should have played more villains in his career, because he absolutely owns it.

The action. Oh boy, the ACTION. This movie had so many more epic set pieces and intense moments that make the first film look so tame by comparison. And the final fight against the Eggman mech had me on the edge of my seat. Seeing Sonic, Tails and Knuckles finally fighting together on the big screen actually made me tear up a little. I already had a clue Super Sonic was going to show up, but my word, they made him cooler than ever. When he sawed the mech's head off, then blew up both of its arms just by grabbing them...if I was a little kid when I saw this film, I probably would have spazzed out like a maniac.

Kind of indifferent toward Shadow being the focus of the next film. After Knuckles was such an edge lord in this film, having an even edgier edge lord in the next movie feels kind of like retreading old ground. We'll see how it goes.

My biggest takeaway from the film? These guys GET Sonic. They understand the world, the characters, their dynamics with one another, and they mesh it so well with all the forced Hollywood stuff (human characters for relatability's sake, juvenile and pop culture humor). Like I said before, I think this is about as good as a Hollywood Sonic movie can get, and if these writers and crew are ever allowed to ditch the human element and do, like, full-on animated films set in Sonic's universe, I think the potential is absolutely staggering.

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay here I go, my turn, I watched it yesterday and...

It's a great Sonic movie this time around, and definitely better than the first which was alright, it wasn't exactly fantastic as a movie, thankfully my expectations weren't too high and for me it was better than expected. As a Sonic fan though? I am so happy.

The humor was great, Knuckles in particular, Jim Carrey is still top acting but also James Marsden and Natasha Rothwell, can't say about the voice actors because I will need to watch the original dub. I think most of the funny stuff came from music sequences, so yeah I loved the bar scene so much!

Tails's funny gadgets too and most of Robotnik's visual gags.

Knuckles is an entirely different topic, he was awesome, really well handled and a solid interpretation of the character, easily my favorite thing in the film. His arc is also great. 

About the lore, maybe I expected something more than what I had assumed, imagined, but I guess too much exposition would have killed the tone and timing of the movie. The main thing they can focus on in the series is: who killed Longclaw and the echidna clan? Who are the masked guys that attacked Eggman?

So I'm guessing Chaos is in the series? They haven't really solved that plot, that mystery. Anyway, it was a complete film, the first act is about character arc building, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, even Tom, and the return of Robotnik of course; the second act is funny and about twists, it's got the filler plot with Rachel, I guess they had to (?) add a love story to make the film complete, ehh still not too keen on it, but Rachel was fun, I just found it rather pointless to be honest, the labyrinth scene with twists all makes up for that though. The final act is all about action and it's E-P-I-C. Great epic scenes, it's exactly what I always dreamed from Sonic, just so good and it handled everything right. Super Sonic was also Super Sonic, an easy fight because he's fucking OP. 

But what shocked me is that they didn't Hollywoodify it, it was true to the source material, the Chaos Emeralds were there (somehow), Shadow still has his lore and story apparently, I'm hooked on that too.

One thing I would have liked tho, is to know why the echidnas were after Sonic and what's his speed all about, I get it, Sonic has no backstory in the games, but he does here, they put that in the first movie, so why not complete that story?

In regards to why Knuckles 

Spoiler

is able to put the Master Emerald together just like that, it seems Knuckles has similar electrical “Chaos energy” that Sonic has when they power up. They both have some connection to the Emeralds, which is why Sonic can become super with the Chaos Emeralds and Knuckles is the protector of the Master Emerald and can control it. Maybe they’re the chosen ones! 

As for why Knuckles and his tribe were after Sonic in particular because of his power, that’s something we will hopefully find out in the Knuckles tv series or somehow they can squeeze that into the third movie. The Chozo looking guys at the beginning of the movie are explained in the Pre-Quill comic, which I haven’t read.