Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

You know, when Shadow first fights the heroes, the heroes should ask him who he is, and he should say "I am All of Me!" If they have any good things about Shadow in the next movie, I hope they don't Throw It All Away. If Shadow does save the day, the people in the next movie will say "All Hail Shadow!". If Shadow is beginning to lose energy like he did in his super form against the Final Hazard in the third Sonic movie, just hope he is not Almost Dead. When Shadow is first scene in the sequel, it's just a matter of him Waking Up before he does something. Out of all the characters that were to be picked in the next film, Shadow was the Chosen One. If they come up with a bad idea for Shadow while making the next movie, they should throw it away and Never Turn Back. If Shadow's pod in the post credits scene is where he will wake up from, he will be waking up in This Machine. And I think that...*Looks around to see the others give him a mad look from all the song titles* I'll just shut up now.

• Chuckle 3
  • Absolutely 1

6 minutes ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

I bet you that they will introduce Rouge since Shadow is confirmed. I wouldn't be surprised if they got someone like Scarlet Johansson to voice her.

Rouge would make sense. Oh and don’t be surprised when this movie makes bank and they announce a spin-off movie for Shadow which will have him and Rouge meet Omega and form team dark.

Feel like Rouge has a decent shot at appearing in the Knuckles TV show. Seems like a good place where you could introduce her and establish her dynamic with Knuckles, then in Sonic 3 she can face off with him. Maybe have Omega built by GUN directly than Robotnik, or perhaps another former creation of Gerald Robotnik and you have Team Dark off the bat, giving Tails and Knuckles their own adversaries while Sonic goes toe to toe with Shadow.  Pure fannish speculation on my part.

Really, my thing with Sonic 3, is that I think you have to introduce at least 2 characters. Sonic 1 was Sonic and Robotnik. Sonic 2 is Tails and Knuckles. Sonic 3 is Shadow and someone else. Maybe Amy. Possibly Rouge. And really if you are bringing in Rouge, it seems only natural to bring Omega into the fold somehow, even if it would be after the movie and the idea of a Shadow TV series. (Which, really, if the Knuckles TV show does well, seems like a complete no brainer.)

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Well village I don't dislike Sonic as a character so I don't really want to see him transformed. I think the base personality he already had in the games was both more interesting and presented more opportunities for growth than this. Sega never explored them, but these films seemingly have the freedom to do so.

That’s probably fair. I’m glad people like Sonic’s character outside the films, it was just one that didn’t me as much (I’m admittedly also one that gravitated toward Shadow during the adventure era as well). I’m definitely tending to view Sonic as he has been, and struggling to see his potential, but i guess that’s why I’m also not a story writer. I did like how Flynn pushed on some of his views and bounced him off other characters in IDW though.

I think it's interesting how divisive movie Sonic is. I know some people who adore him and find him very cute and charming and adore the found family angle they're going with, whereas others yearn for a more game-adjacent characterization.

I don't mind him, but that's because my favorite Sonic (SatAM) is already a different beast than his Adventure characterization and other modern game iterations. I think even within the games, Sonic's personality isn't really consistent, anyhow, since you got Adventure but then you get Shadow the Hedgehog and the Pontaff games. The Storybook games vs 06, etc. How game Sonic behaves- there's some common threads but the rest really does depend on who's in the writer's seat.

I think, also, when Boom was already so recent and had its own take on the character, it's just a lil' headscratchy for me, haha. Probably just a matter of preference at the end of the day, and I do get why this Sonic wouldn't vibe with everyone. (I could do with fewer pop culture references, for sure.)

It's probably 100% a generational thing, too. Like, the Sonic I grew up with was... just SatAM because I didn't get to play the Adventure games until the mid-2000's. So I had years of just watching SatAM reruns and imagining characterization when I replayed the genesis games. So my own experience differs from someone whose formative Sonic experiences were, say, SA2 or even Sonic Colors.

Movie Sonic will probably be a lot of people's Sonic, too.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Kuzu said:

God, so this is how Classic fans felt when Shadow debuted in 2001 and took the fandom by storm huh...oh god, I'm gonna have to see that again except with Zoomer!Shadow...fuck

Hey, I actually supported his debut...and his game (don’t ask, I was 15 at the time and didn’t fucking know any better). You should be glad we’re gonna have a new generation of Shadow fans.

At least you won’t have to hear that epithet “Shadow should’ve stayed dead” as much, if at all. Took this forum well over a decade to get over that phase. (Tho if they kill him off in the third movie—which I want to say they won’t—I guarantee we might see a resurgence of that too)

Considering Classic fans grew up during the most diverse period of Sonic’s time, which was his golden years, if anything I’m seeing more of the 90s all over again.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Hey, I actually supported his debut...and his game (don’t ask, I was 15 at the time and didn’t fucking know any better). You should be glad we’re gonna have a new generation of Shadow fans.

At least you won’t have to hear that epithet “Shadow should’ve stayed dead” as much, if at all. Took this forum well over a decade to get over that phase. (Tho if they kill him off in the third movie—which I want to say they won’t—I guarantee we might see a resurgence of that too)

Considering Classic fans grew up during the most diverse period of Sonic’s time, which was his golden years, if anything I’m seeing more of the 90s all over again.

This is what’s really the most exciting thing about the movie series for me. Sonic might really experience a renaissance that he hasn’t enjoyed since the 90’s.

13 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Rouge would make sense. Oh and don’t be surprised when this movie makes bank and they announce a spin-off movie for Shadow which will have him and Rouge meet Omega and form team dark.

That would legit be awesome. I can only imagine how betrayed Jim Carrey's Eggman would be after his spiel in the first movie about robots being the only beings that he truly loves and depends on.

8 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

That would legit be awesome. I can only imagine how betrayed Jim Carrey's Eggman would be after his spiel in the first movie about robots being the only beings that he truly loves and depends on.

Flipped through the novelisation and it’s definitely adapting this movie instead of serving as a sequel to this movie

walters is here and it’s referenced that he met Tom and Maddie when his role was filled by stone in the original novel 

On 4/12/2022 at 9:10 AM, Diogenes said:

If they wanted the Biolizard to evoke Perfect Chaos they failed utterly, they look basically nothing alike. Also, SA did not invent lizards.

I don't think the biolizard has to evoke perfect chaos 1-to-1 to work as a connection tbh. If Shadow was Gerald's attempt to harness an "ultimate life form" out of the super sonic murals by using an actual homegrown hedgehog, he probably tried to do the same with Perfect Chaos earlier, and the closest biological representation he could find being an actual homegrown (but gigantic) lizard. Maybe a redesign that changes the species would make a parallel more potent, but the biolizard works for the "mad bioweapon scientist" vibe that Shadow, the artificial chaos on the ark, and Biolizard all come together to create imo

7 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

I don't think the biolizard has to evoke perfect chaos 1-to-1 to work as a connection tbh.

Okay but it isn't just not 1-to-1, it's nearly apples and oranges, there is basically nothing similar between them aside from being lizardy. This is the same game whose first half is predicated on Sonic and Shadow looking alike, where we joke that Amy is blind because she mixed them up despite obviously looking different, and they still have far more in common than the Biolizard and Perfect Chaos.

11 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

At least you won’t have to hear that epithet “Shadow should’ve stayed dead” as much, if at all.

It's still my position, though I have begrudgingly accepted his permanent place in the series.

It's more productive to think of how characters you dislike can be utilized well than dwell on what might have been if they'd never been created/got killed off.

In Shadow's case, I feel like the games had kinda found a unique niche for him by making him a GUN agent... aaand then non-Eggman humans disappeared for like a decade, leaving Shadow without much of a clear drive. Maybe that'll change with humans likely returning to the games soon.

Movie Shadow specifically could be a different character altogether, of course. I have a feeling they won't focus on the gun-toting edgelord persona of ShtH at least, which would already predispose me to liking him more. Or at least disliking him less. 

17 hours ago, Kuzu said:

God, so this is how Classic fans felt when Shadow debuted in 2001 and took the fandom by storm huh...oh god, I'm gonna have to see that again except with Zoomer!Shadow...fuck. 

To think movie Shadow will supplant Knuckles even faster than the game version did in the next two years.

It'll be funny to watch that fire burn.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

To think movie Shadow will supplant Knuckles even faster than the game version did in the next two years.

I feel that's why Knuckles' personality shifted somewhat near the end of the second movie, becoming way more jovial and loud.

So it wouldn't feel as jarring when Shadow shows up as the new serious-minded rival to Sonic, and subsequently his straight man...provided he lives in the next movie anyway. 

Oooooor, they'll make Shadow a mustache twirling villain lol.

7 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Great, I was enjoying the fandom moving on  from the decade-long Shadow hate only to watch them come back full circle.

Although this time, we’ll have a new generation of fans at our side, so I guess that’s a perk.

1 hour ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Now, if they are somehow going to get Amy Rose, I have a couple of ideas for who should voice her if they go the celebrity route:

Kristen Schaal

Anna Kendrick

Alison Brie

Kristen Bell

And to those who think Zendaya should voice her, Paramount will never do that. They don't want to repeat the fan backlash Warner Brothers got into with Lola Bunny and Space Jam 2.

I honestly think Zendaya would be a better fit for Blaze. But yeah Kristen Bell is definitely my first choice for Amy if they get a celebrity to play her.

I like that these movies didn't feel beholden to the original video game canon and just did its own thing with the lore, mixing bits and pieces of the video games, the various cartoons, and the comic books into a story that's still faithful Sonic but also it's own thing.

As far as Sonic's characterization, my personal preference is something more akin to Boom Sonic rather than the PG-Deadpool we have in the movies but hey, I'll concede that the latter is probably more appealing to modern kids so :shrug:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I also think the satellite Eggman used at the beginning was a reference to the Mushroom Hill boss. It happened so fast in the transmission scene I forgot about it. I didn't see anyone mention it, but someone probably did by now.

Also, thinking now, where the girls at? Either Amy or Rouge (both hopefully) will make their debut along with Shadow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got to see it! I'm still processing it, but I'll post my thoughts:

-It felt "extra kiddie" this time around with its humor and such, compared to the first one's slightly more restrained take.

-What was with those masked guys at the beginning!? Where they a nod to the original movie's planned "lizard warriors" perhaps?

-Is it just me or did Sonic, Tails and Knux's teeth look kinda weird sometimes?

-Jim Eggman was VERY Jim Carrey this time around; good or bad? A bit of both honestly. 

-Knuckles' voice was a bit hard to get used to, but I appreciated the efforts to flesh him out with his tribe and such. His "fish out of water" personality was a bit played, but I didn't mind it too much.

-Super Sonic was expected, but still cool to see go to town on the Egg mech. 

-I was surprised to see Knuckles stick around with Sonic and Tails. Figured he'd leave and only come back when there was trouble.

-Honestly shocked they actually went with Shadow at the stinger instead of Metal Sonic; I thought for sure the movies would pretty much stick to the Classic-era. 

Overall it was an enjoyable romp. I'm wondering what Paramount's plans are long-term with this movie-verse. Will they try and make as many as the Fast and Furious movies? (please no lol)

21 hours ago, The Deleter said:

I don't think the biolizard has to evoke perfect chaos 1-to-1 to work as a connection tbh. If Shadow was Gerald's attempt to harness an "ultimate life form" out of the super sonic murals by using an actual homegrown hedgehog, he probably tried to do the same with Perfect Chaos earlier, and the closest biological representation he could find being an actual homegrown (but gigantic) lizard. Maybe a redesign that changes the species would make a parallel more potent, but the biolizard works for the "mad bioweapon scientist" vibe that Shadow, the artificial chaos on the ark, and Biolizard all come together to create imo

It's just kind of a nonstarter to begin with because we don't even know if the Hedgehog thing is true. It's always been a theory.

15 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Now, if they are somehow going to get Amy Rose, I have a couple of ideas for who should voice her if they go the celebrity route:

Kristen Schaal

Anna Kendrick

Alison Brie

Kristen Bell

And to those who think Zendaya should voice her, Paramount will never do that. They don't want to repeat the fan backlash Warner Brothers got into with Lola Bunny and Space Jam 2.

Awkwafina (or however you spell it) might be an interesting way to go for Amy. Kind and slightly crazy at the same time. 

So are the Chaos Emeralds back in the Master Emerald or are they permanently separate items now? I found this piece of lore a bit confusing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

So are the Chaos Emeralds back in the Master Emerald or are they permanently separate items now? I found this piece of lore a bit confusing.

Tyson Hesse clarified what happened on the Sonic Retro forums:

The emeralds flew off Dragonball-style after the power-down. So the reformed Master Emerald is back to essentially its usual game version. It's now made solely from the chaff that bound the emeralds together, so it retains its own power as well as the ability to control the emeralds, but Sonic can't go super with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kinda strange, but I suppose that’s a decent way to keep the ME and CE balanced.

Kinda prefer the ME being a secondary source to go Super tho, but I’ll take this over being told for the millionth time that nothing can useful be done with it despite folks hardly making any attempt at trying until now.