Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

BTW, can we talk about Shadow's design too? Because it looks dope as fuck. But I still keep imagining how it would've look had Paramount not back down and hired Tyson.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

I think they are only leaving Eggman's supposed death open because Jim Carrey is a bit of a wild card in terms of his extended stay in this franchise. So it'll depend whether they get him back or not. '

But yeah, Shadow was stupidly obvious. Everyone near the mainstream wants to see him, so of course.

He has expressed interest in being around long term.

https://youtu.be/Ce8IS52IGTs

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, even if it is a spoiler thread, you guys should probably be using apoiler tags?

20 minutes ago, Jango said:

BTW, can we talk about Shadow's design too? Because it looks dope as fuck. But I still keep imagining how it would've look had Paramount not back down and hired Tyson.

It looks a little weird to me, but they'll fix it.

In hindsight I shouldn't of originally clicked on the thread, sorry. It doesn't really matter now, my curious ass looked it up anyways.

I...wanna say I called it, but let's be honest, I think we all kinda expected it.

could easily replace biolizard with chaos in some way. explains why the master emerald shrine is on the ark.

I'd prefer Chaos be given serious gravitas instead of having him sidelined in Shadow's story. For the first and arguably best monster of the series, he should have his own standalone plot. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

NGL, I hope they keep Shadow dead. But. I wouldn't mind seeing Shadow Android take his place in a Team Dark spinoff.

It's a movie aimed primarily at children, they aren't gonna kill off one of the talking animals.

7 minutes ago, mayday2592 said:

It's a movie aimed primarily at children, they aren't gonna kill off one of the talking animals.

Longclaw

And Sonic X adapted Sonic Adventure 2 with much harsher restrictions.

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Longclaw

And Sonic X adapted Sonic Adventure 2 with much harsher restrictions.

did they show shadow dying? i forget how it was depicted 

2 minutes ago, unsubjective said:

did they show shadow dying? i forget how it was depicted 

Well no version actually shows him dying. We only ever see the fall. Sonic X had him disappear after the ARK was Chaos Controlled and you hear "Maria, I did it for you..." After that, they have it heavily implied.

• The title was changed to Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

Unrelated to the topic of a certain edgy hedgehog, I like how the credits are using the same pixel art style as the music video of Stars in the Sky. Such beautiful art. ❤️

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They're keeping the lore of Shadow, which is something I'm so relieved about.

There is really no way for Shadow to be Shadow in a cinematic context without having his lore in terms of making a movie about him. Which is why series bibles exist. Otherwise he would just be like Sonic Boom Shadow who is a jerk just to be one which isn't convincing for audiences. 

Now, they may imply Maria's death (assuming they go PG) rather than show the exact events like the game or Sonic X. But movies with younger audiences talk about death and losing loved ones all the time (Onward, Finding Nemo etc).

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, nobukitsu88 said:

There is really no way for Shadow to be Shadow in a cinematic context without having his lore in terms of making a movie about him. Which is why series bibles exist. Otherwise he would just be like Sonic Boom Shadow who is a jerk just to be one which isn't convincing for audiences. 

Now, they may imply Maria's death (assuming they go PG) rather than show the exact events like the game or Sonic X. But movies with younger audiences talk about death and losing loved ones all the time (Onward, Finding Nemo etc).

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if they upped the rating from PG to a PG-13.

Sonic Adventure 2 is arguably the heaviest game in the series; We're talking about an inciting event that sees an elderly scientist & his niece being brutally executed by the US Government to cover up the state's crimes. The game deals in some of humanity's oldest philosophical questions-- like life's meaning, what it means to dream, and what it means to be human. 

To do Shadow this early and commit to that lore, is a commitment, and I could see the producers realizing that the audience has grown up since the first film, and are ready for a more mature story like this. Plus nostalgia mining from older fans who grew up with SA2

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I can foresee a world where a light PG-13 (think Spiderman) is plausible. It depends for example if they want the films to age with the audience ala Harry Potter, as well as if they want to tap more into the "superhero" aspect as stakes are raised. Especially since the first movie was supposed to be PG-13 but they changed as they felt the message of the first story didn't go along with it. So it's not like the directors are inherently against it. 

57 minutes ago, nobukitsu88 said:

Or they could...make new lore? Write a new story for him? There are more options than "SA2, exactly" or "nothing".

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll be glad enough if they don't bring up anything related to Shadow the Hedgehog (the game). Fuck Black Doom, the comet and all that jazz.

32 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Or they could...make new lore? Write a new story for him? There are more options than "SA2, exactly" or "nothing".

At that point, you might as well just make a new character. No sense in using Shadow if he barely resembles himself. It'd be like what the Black Widow movie did with its version of Taskmaster.

• Thumbs Up 1

Or what the MCU did with their version of Black Widow?

You have any idea how many incarnations that character alone has, each with differences in their backgrounds? To say nothing of Thanos (guy was a bigger ego-maniac in the original incarnation than the more mainstream version we now see him as), and especially Spider-Man. I’d like to think Sonic characters are just as adaptable to new elements and backgrounds after 30 years of history, and I’m saying this as someone who wants it to stick closely to SA2 as possible.

So I need to point this out given Shadow's thing with being 50 years ago the GUN commander brings seeing as how they kept that for Shadow's lore... I'm rewatching the 1st movie and Maddie drops for Tom's family history being that there has always been someone from his family that would protect the town for more than 50 years and I do not think that number is not at all a coincidence... I think this is all the more making me think Tom could just possibly come to work for GUN in the 3rd movie given his all wanting to more good than just a small town cop, but also that possibly his father may have dealt with the incident if you say look back at what Sonic X brought in expanding on who was the GUN solider that shot Maria being the now old man Schmitz. So I think it is quite possible Tom could be the one to take Amy's helping Shadow to save humanity as Chris did in the show. So that's pretty clever if that is the route they're going with for the 3rd movie.