Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

15 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

If Shadow's in the third movie...does that mean Rouge will be too?

Not necessarily. They could just be adapting Shadow purely, and not doing the entirety of SA2. You can have his backstory without directly doing everything SA2 did. 

21 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

At that point, you might as well just make a new character. No sense in using Shadow if he barely resembles himself.

sonic has barely resembled the game version in either of these films. changing fundamental parts of shadow's backstory wouldn't be anything new

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Or they could...make new lore? Write a new story for him? There are more options than "SA2, exactly" or "nothing".

I am not implying that. I am not saying they are going to do an SA2 adaptation and you could be very correct. I don't want them to adapt the games as I want to see the directors' original take.

What I am saying though is for a lot characters a good bit of their character is very inherently the same no matter how they decide to spin the characters. For Tails is probably never not going to be an inventor and wiz kid. Knuckles is the last of his kind that warred over chaos emeralds. In a similar sense, Shadow's literal identity is tied to his backstory that would be hard to write from scratch without it being a different character. 

16 minutes ago, SonicLegends said:

So I need to point this out given Shadow's thing with being 50 years ago the GUN commander brings seeing as how they kept that for Shadow's lore... I'm rewatching the 1st movie and Maddie drops for Tom's family history being that there has always been someone from his family that would protect the town for more than 50 years and I do not think that number is not at all a coincidence... I think this is all the more making me think Tom could just possibly come to work for GUN in the 3rd movie given his all wanting to more good than just a small town cop, but also that possibly his father may have dealt with the incident if you say look back at what Sonic X brought in expanding on who was the GUN solider that shot Maria being the now old man Schmitz. So I think it is quite possible Tom could be the one to take Amy's helping Shadow to save humanity as Chris did in the show. So that's pretty clever if that is the route they're going with for the 3rd movie.

For reference

image.png

image.png

14 minutes ago, Winston said:

Not necessarily. They could just be adapting Shadow purely, and not doing the entirety of SA2. You can have his backstory without directly doing everything SA2 did. 

That's probable, but yeah not out of the question given they seem to be adding in 2 main stay characters from the games, 1st being just Sonic and Eggman, 2nd being just Tails and Knuckles, 3rd could be not just Shadow but Rouge too.

• Thumbs Up 2

wonder if they'll expand at all on why shadow is from the human world. its never explained why he looks like identical to super sonic other than the s3&k fan theories.

41 minutes ago, Wraith said:

sonic has barely resembled the game version in either of these films. changing fundamental parts of shadow's backstory wouldn't be anything new

Sonic is a lot more malleable than Shadow. Shadow's entire character is tied to his arc in SA2 and the fallout of that. Every version of him sans Boom has directly adapted his story, so it's a lot harder to make major changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Ignoring my personal feelings on the matter, I don't agree with this. Sonic is definitely meant to be younger than he normally is, but the character is still distilled attitude.

Once again, I'm not saying that makes him good, just pointing out the character isn't really that drastically changed as some think.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Ignoring my personal feelings on the matter, I don't agree with this. Sonic is definitely meant to be younger than he normally is, but the character is still distilled attitude.

Once again, I'm not saying that makes him good, just pointing out the character isn't really that drastically changed as some think.

In the prequel comic, Sonic feels similar to his IDW incarnation despite having a completely different writer and setting. He's just less confident and mature. I think a lot of the differences just come down to Ben Schwartz's voice and the design.

Shadow's backstory is probably largely the same. They found out about the project while deleting Robotnik's name from government records, implying that the name "Robotnik" - as in Gerald Robotnik - led them to the coordinates for Project Shadow. I guess Gerald was familiar with other planets and based Shadow's design off the aliens from Sonic's world in the movie universe (that or he just looks similar by complete coincidence like in Sonic X, lol).

Anyway, I was really hoping we'd get Metal Sonic and Amy instead, and have a CD adaptation to kind of round out the classic era. Can't win 'em all though. I still rather liked SA2, and as long as Robotnik still gets to kick ass like he did in the original game, I'm down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyway, in non-Shadow related discussions.

I really liked how they leaned into the proud warrior archetype for Knuckles, while still keeping in mind that he's not very bright. It....fits the character way more than I thought and its certainly a valid direction to go with the character. It lets him have his serious moments of kickers while still being comical in way that doesn't detract from his character.

• Thumbs Up 5

Even with Shadow’s backstory, he’s still malleable enough to choose a different path.

After you deal with the fallout from his arc, he becomes just as free and open a character as Sonic now that he can forge his own path in life. People focus so much on his backstory that they never seem to take into account he can still develop in other ways—one which I actually found most ideal in Archie than any other media that handled the character, with X a close second.

So quick questions for those who have actually seen the movie.

1) Do we have any time-stop/Quicksilver scenes with Sonic in this like in the first movie?

2) Is there any noteworthy music from the games?

3) How is the Tails' post-credits scene incorperated? Do they just start the movie with that?

4) Are there any scenes set on Sonic's world?

5) How long after the first movie is this set? Is Sonic 15 now like some promotional stuff said?

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

The character has been changed fundamentally and if they changed Shadow you guys would just roll over and accept it too. Thee's no point in debating it.

• Thumbs Up 1

lmao people can argue over whether they can change his story without pissing people off on why they liked the character to begin with, (like removing Gamma's sacrifice in adventure, yep that's Gamma everyone wants) but fact of the matter is we're closer than ever to an actual 1-to-1 recreation of the past rather than a GUN Metal Sonic, so as far as I'm concerned I am eating either way lol

spook-yes.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The character has been changed fundamentally and if they changed Shadow you guys would just roll over and accept it too. Thee's no point in debating it.

If you're just going to dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with you then yea, there really isn't a point in debating it. 

This is just gonna be another chapter in the never-ending wars of subjective Sonic fan opinions I guess. 

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If you're just going to dismiss anyone who doesn't agree with you then yea, there really isn't a point in debating it.

Sonic, a free wheeling drifter who makes friends through his remarkable personality and strong heroic traits, but doesn't want for them due to his strong sense of individualism.... is now a socially awkward dweeb who huddles up in one place and longs to belong to a traditional family unit.

These are pretty fundamental changes to the character, that you guys decided were fine, so what's the point of even pretending to be worried about Shadow? He'll probably still be sad and shoot lasers and shit. You'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sonic, a free wheeling drifter who makes friends through his attitude but doesn't want for them.... is now a socially awkward dweeb who huddles up in one place and longs to belong to a traditional family unit.

These are pretty fundamental changes to the character, that you guys decided were fine, so what's the point of even pretending to be worried about Shadow? He'll probably still be sad and shoot lasers and shit. You'll be fine.

One is redesigned for the masses to find marketable, consume and enable the success and guarantee for more movies + salvaging the mess that was the original concept, the other is designed to get the butts of longtime fans into seats and pander to the point they mention the full backstory

cahCSRy.png?1

also will we be fine lol

4 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

One is redesigned for the masses to find marketable, consume and enable the success and guarantee for more movies + salvaging the mess that was the original concept, the other is designed to get the butts of longtime fans into seats and pander to the point they mention the full backstory

And when they change Shadow for mass appeal, you guys will nod your head because mass appeal is worth the sacrifice.

Of course,  the Sonic fanbase could always aggressively argue that Shadow's character is worthy of respect while Sonic's isn't. I guess that's nothing new.

35 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Sonic, a free wheeling drifter who makes friends through his attitude but doesn't want for them.... is now a socially awkward dweeb who huddles up in one place and longs to belong to a traditional family unit.

In the thirty something years that this franchise has been in service Sonic has been...

All of which greatly differ from that "core" you described. Yes, most of these suck but that's not really the point. Trying to behold a character that's existed for as long as Sonic to one specific interpretation and judging all others on that feels...misguided to me. There's been a million interpretations of iconic characters across every medium imaginable, and while they do their best to keep to an established core, some do that better than others. 

So it just feels more right to me to judge these properties more on their own merits as opposed to how much they differ from each other.  Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think movie Sonic sucks because he's not like his Sega counterpart, be my guest. I'm just giving my own thought process about this. 

Plus ya know, yea, I just want to see Shadow beat the shit out of Sonic, that's always fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

In the thirty something years that this franchise has been in service Sonic has been...

All of which greatly differ from that "core" you described. Yes, most of these suck but that's not really the point. Trying to behold a character that's existed for as long as Sonic to one specific interpretation and judging all others on that feels...misguided to me. There's been a million interpretations of iconic characters across every medium imaginable, and while they do their best to keep to an established core, some do that better than others. 

So it just feels more right to me to judge these properties more on their own merits as opposed to how much they differ from each other.  Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you think movie Sonic sucks because he's not like his Sega counterpart, be my guest. I'm just giving my own thought process about this. 

Like 3 posts ago you were saying that he's close enough, so it's fine. Now you're saying that it's fine that he's different. Which is it

14 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Like 3 posts ago you were saying that he's close enough, so it's fine. Now you're saying that it's fine that he's different. Which is it

Unless they paint the dude orange, and start calling him soundwave or some shit I think Sonic can be open to a few interpretations that aren't exactly like his video game counterpart but are still recognizable to anyone with passing knowledge of the franchise. 

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Unless they paint the dude orange, and start calling him soundwave or some shit I think Sonic can be open to a few interpretations that aren't exactly like his video game counterpart but are still recognizable to anyone with passing knowledge of the franchise. 

And the same is true of Shadow.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

And the same is true of Shadow.

Outside of Shadow having a much more defined foundation than Sonic, more or less yea. 

So they can't change Shadow basically at all or there's no point in him being Shadow, and we cheer for Tails and Knuckles and the Death Egg Robot and the Tornado and Super Sonic just like in the games, and we bully the studio into changing Sonic's design to look more like he does in the games, but when it comes to his personality and identity it's just like, whatever, anything goes.