Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

30 minutes ago, Jango said:

Idk guys, the only ever consistent trait of personality that was kept in all medias is that Sonic is a good guy and blue.

I would also argue that every iteration of Sonic, including the movie, is a brash showoff. The movie doesn't play this up as much as the games and definitely not as much as the old cartoons/comics, but it's still there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Generally speaking, Sonic's most consistent traits have been that he's cocky, fast, but is overall a good person.

Anything else is open for interpretation in how those traits manifest.

A guerrilla freedom fighter, an exiled prince with siblings with Tails no where in sight, an adventurer, etc.

I’d honestly be more upset if they made the film as a direct insult and mockery to the fans than what they’re doing with him now. Kinda like how Ninja Theory did with DmC: Devil May Cry. Anyone who wants me to see their take in good will and faith, I’m willing to return that respect if it sells me in spite of the differences.

16 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

A guerrilla freedom fighter, an exiled prince with siblings with Tails no where in sight, an adventurer, etc.

I’d honestly be more upset if they made the film as a direct insult and mockery to the fans than what they’re doing with him now. Kinda like how Ninja Theory did with DmC: Devil May Cry. Anyone who wants me to see their take in good will and faith, I’m willing to return that respect if it sells me in spite of the differences.

If we're seriously bringing up DMC then you guys's bar for adaptations is just in hell. And I mean, I knew that already, but still. Really?

"It's not ACTIVELY MALICIOUS guys! What's the big deal?"

17 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I would also argue that every iteration of Sonic, including the movie, is a brash showoff. The movie doesn't play this up as much as the games and definitely not as much as the old cartoons/comics, but it's still there.

I've seen you argue for paragraphs over slight deviations on Eggman's personality in Sonic media. I know you know where people are coming from with this.

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I've seen you argue for paragraphs over slight deviations on Eggman's personality in Sonic media. I know you know where people are coming from with this.

Of course, and you know that know where people are coming from, since In this very thread I've said I'm not a fan of how childlike and dependent Sonic is either. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:39 PM, Diogenes said:

Or they could...make new lore? Write a new story for him? There are more options than "SA2, exactly" or "nothing".

Exactly. Maybe they adapt it in a loose way like the MCU would.

8 hours ago, Wraith said:

If we're seriously bringing up DMC then you guys's bar for adaptations is just in hell. And I mean, I knew that already, but still. Really?

"It's not ACTIVELY MALICIOUS guys! What's the big deal?"

Considering what they produced in the first movie’s initial trailer (which they were courteous enough to change for a better outcome), and how video game adaptations have historically been, no fucking shit my bar’s in hell. I’ve gone on record on these forums claiming it would break even but not even come close to Detective Pikachu even after they fixed Sonic’s design, only to eat my words when it surpassed it in the box office and got a sequel on top of that.

It’s a helluva lot more forgiving than “be completely like the games or you’re a failure” despite every other adaptation also doing their own things.

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah, Jim saying he's retiring would explain why his fate at the end of this movie is left ambiguous. He may come back if he really wants to but it's clearly left up in the air and dependent on how married he is to the role. In that way Stone is probably being set up as a bit of his successor.

Maybe he'll do it. Him coming into this role was already a bit of a surprise after he took a break from the comedy routine. But they'd need to really wow him to come back.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Sonic movie without Robotnik is a total no-sell for me. There's basically no reason to get excited for an SA2 adaptation (the game that made me a Sonic fan and, more importantly, an Eggman fan in the first place) if Eggman isn't even there. Lame if true.

I'm half-convinced this is an April Fool's joke though.

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

It’s a helluva lot more forgiving than “be completely like the games or you’re a failure” despite every other adaptation also doing their own things.

Most of the other adaptations are bad too though

Just now, Wraith said:

Since you said most and not all, I am curious: What Sonic adaptations do you think did a good job representing the games?

16 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

A Sonic movie without Robotnik is a total no-sell for me. There's basically no reason to get excited for an SA2 adaptation (the game that made me a Sonic fan and, more importantly, an Eggman fan in the first place) if Eggman isn't even there. Lame if true.

I think Jim may come back for Sonic 3 just because SA2 is such a Robotnik centric story and he could interpret that as being a grand finale for the character. And yeah, SA2 is a pretty great story arc for Eggman. I'd love to see Jim pull off the little reflection he gives at the end of the game about his grandfather.

It will depend how that script is sold to him.

But I think what this means is that the turnaround for Sonic 3 is definitely not going to be quick. Paramount are gonna wanna do everything in their power to bring him back, and the Knuckles TV series will be a good stopgap.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Unfortunately, it is real. It was posted hours before April 1st and if you hear what he said about retiring and what followed afterwards, it is clear that he is 100% serious.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to animate Eggman and ask him to be his voice actor? That's probably unlikely

While it'd be unfortunate to lose Carrey in the role, I would rather them replace the actor and keep Eggman in the story than not have Eggman at all. Eggman's far too important to both SA2 and to Sonic in general, and his absence would really weaken the third film.

You know, if we have to lose Jim from the series regardless, anyway.

I'd nominate Neil Patrick Harris. He made a really good Jim Carrey impression in Series of Unfortunate Events and I think could do a solid job.

• Thumbs Up 4

21 minutes ago, Wraith said:

By what metric? Because not everyone follows the idea of alternate takes being a bad thing.

8 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

I'd nominate Neil Patrick Harris. He made a really good Jim Carrey impression in Series of Unfortunate Events and I think could do a solid job.

YES! He is great actor.

He also already worked with CGI blue creatures. This man is qualified

spacer.png

• Chuckle 3

....so why do people think Shadow being in Sonic 3 means an SA2 adaptation?

For all we know, it could be a Shadow the Hedgehog adaptation ;) 

7 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

...If that were the case, perhaps leaving Robotnik out of that mess would be a small mercy.

• Chuckle 2

They could replace Jim, but it would be hella awkward. But its not the first time a major character in a franchise had to be recasted. 

Batman had three different actors in the 90's and one them in the same trilogy. Don Cheadle took over for Terrance Howard as Rodey in the MCU.

On the subject of Sonic adaptations; its really down to the person's preference, but most fans of the source material are generally purists and don't appreciate deviations that veer too far from it. 

Annoying, as we can see from certain attitudes, but understandable.

• Thumbs Up 3

22 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

To be clear, I don't think anyone really said anything of the sort. Most people  (including myself) were talking about Shadow's backstory which would likely be covered since they are introducing him and how it would be hard to change Shadow's backstory without changing the character even if it is done in a different way. So SA2 has come up just as a comparison. I myself want to see original stories. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2022 at 7:44 PM, Tenko said:

Random question for anyone that has seen the film too and can discuss..

Hide contents

Who were the people that came through the dimensional ring before Knuckles on the Mushroom Planet? Knuckles mentions he's the last of his kind, the rest were somehow wiped out during the fight with Longclaw (another weird unexplained moment too). So who were those other masked, tribal looking people that came through the ring with human like proportions?

Was wondering this too.  Actually I've got a few other bits that were a little unclear:

Spoiler

Longclaw entrusting the fate of the master emerald to this kid she adopted because he's just a nice lil' guy feels like a bit of a reach.  Perhaps some more backstory to be revealed later here though, I mean I feel like we still don't exactly know how he got into her care.

Why the Master Emerald crumbles, and how Knuckles is able to reform it... and what exactly the chaos emeralds are if they weren't the source of it's power?  This kinda stuff can be patched over with game lore - we know game emeralds can be drained and that game Knuckles has particular authority and power (or at least know-how) over the Master Emerald, but this is not clarified within in the movie.

Spoiler

There's too much to take in without a second watch but the 3 people who come through the portal before Knuckles look like they're wearing owl masks? Very confusing.* The Chaos Emeralds were combined to create the Master Emerald but after Super Sonic relinquishes the emeralds and they fly off, are they gone forever or have they become one with the Master Emerald again as they decide to form a group dedicated to protect it? Did the echidna tribe want to capture Sonic in exchange for the Master Emerald? They don't need his power, so? Longclaw knew Sonic was different and had a power she had never seen/a kindness he had (pure?) and that he would be the best bet at keeping it safe?

Need to see it again. 

*Edit - The 3 that come through first are hunters that are helping Knuckles track Sonic as revealed in the Pre-Quill comic.

On a side note, the April Fools before the movie started was well received. 

I just got back and I could have easily sat and watched it again. 
That post credits scene was gold! 

• Thumbs Up 1

So apparently I've heard people say Tails got side-lined in this film. Approximately how much screen time does he get in this film?