Awoo.

Sonic 2 Movie Spoiler Thread (Mostly Untagged Spoilers)

The Deleter

Gonna be interesting to see what they do with him in Sonic 3 and if he'll fall into the same trappings as his game counterpart. 

One thing I didn't expect was the Tails ramming Knuckles with the car scene. I was like "Tails! Duuuude!" 

That was badass and somewhat ruthless. 😁

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Knuckles was basically just left to fend for himself in the wilderness for a decade, with only whatever he picked up from his father

Father? Oh shit…

You guys weren’t joking—I gotta see this movie now!

What’s his name?

3 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Father? Oh shit…

You guys weren’t joking—I gotta see this movie now!

What’s his name?

Unnamed - but before it comes up - nope, there's absolutely no inspiration taken from Locke lol.

We only see him for 20-30 seconds telling Young Knuckles to stay home while the tribe is on a hunt, which led to their deaths. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So basically if the “no parent” rules get lifted elsewhere, they have a back-up plan in the process.

neat

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

the tribe is on a hunt, which led to their deaths. 

Oh man, they could've set Chaos. C'mon, Jeff. Shadow is cool and all, but c'mon, it's just another Sonic. He's not AN ANCIENT WATER LIZARD GOD.

Maybe for the fourth movie then? They did say they want to make a Cinematic Universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a strong feeling that Movie 3 will have more than one villain, like the sequel does, but maybe it won't be a Robotnik pairing. With Jim Carrey basically taking a break from acting, I feel that Robotnik won't appear in the third film.

Instead, I think either Shadow or an unknown character will be the main villain. I'm personally leaning towards Shadow, but you never know.

Sonic 3 has the potential to be the blockbuster equivalent of a Greek tragedy if they play their cards right. Surely Fowler must know the magnitude of weight on his shoulders in choosing to adapt SA2. 

Everything we've learned in these two films about the lore, about the universe, could be deconstructed through Shadow's very existence

Personally, I think the Chaos story is probably going to be mined in greater depth in the Knuckles live action series (potentially they could explore all that background exposition too), it would make sense and would be the best place for it IMO.

Jeff's want to skip over certain games and get straight to Shadow & SA2 is likely one of two things. 1) On a fan/reception/story level, it is arguably the series high point and has good chunks of lore to mine for Robotnik. 2) He may want to get it done by film 3 in case the Sonic Movie-verse goes bust. Oh and 3) He may personally want to move on from this after a trilogy - where better to end?

I feel like one thing we are all forgetting is Chaos, the chaos emeralds and the master emerald all come from a different planet that isn't Earth.  Earth was just the world the owl people used to protect the Master emerald from the Echidna tribe.  It could be that they aren't doing the Chaos story line because that would mean finding a way to explain how the Chao, the Echidna Tribe and Chaos ended up on Earth.  Whereas with Shadow, he was created by Gerald Robotnik, a human, so it's probably a lot easier to explain that Gerald managed to visit Sonics world and began researching them in order to create Shadow.  Not exactly a straight forward story but it's a lot easier than having to explain how Chaos ended up on Earth when the emeralds were made on Sonics world.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean Sonic and Sonic 2 weren't adaptations, just because Shadow is being introduced doesn't mean it will be an SA2 adaptation like some are assuming. There was loose material in Sonic 2, namely the Chaos Emeralds, Super Sonic and the Death Egg Robot, but everything else was changed to fit in with how the movies have been approached, calling it an adaptation is a bit of a long shot.

Shadow is in play now, but his creation may be totally different, his story arc may likely be similar in some ways (50 odd years ago, G.U.N having him in a research facility etc.) but also different much like with Knuckles and Tails. Sonic 2 didn't have the Death Egg, it's sequel may not even have Space Colony Ark for example. It could even end up being a combination of different parts of different stories like Sonic 2 was. It will be interesting to see what they end up doing.

This occurred to me and I put it in the movie’s fridge page:

project shadow and assuming the story is close to how it went down in the games

didnt robotnik say that he was an orphan in the first movie? Was his family killed to tie up some loose ends?

project shadow was apparently in his possession, was him joining the government before the movie part of a long game scheme to exact his revenge?

Whilst I wouldn't mind if they adapted SA2's story or the next movie, SA2's story is pretty dark in parts and I don't think they'll want to use all of it in Movie 3 as the stories in the first two movies are more lighthearted. That said, it would be awesome if Jim Carrey gets to blow up part of the moon 😅

Come on SEGA, now would be the perfect time to remake/remaster SA2 in the lead up to Movie 3!

Sonic games have ended up in space quite often so it would be logical for movie 3 to go there as Eggman's plans grow more ambitious (regardless as to whether it's to do with the space colony ark, the death egg, little planet, borrowing elements from Sonic Colours or something completely new).

Whilst I appreciate all the Sonic 2, 3, SA1 & 2 references in Sonic Movie 2 it would be nice to see more references to games post-SA2 in the next movie. Perhaps they could adapt story elements from more recent games?

2 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Whilst I wouldn't mind if they SA2's story is adapted for the next movie, SA2's story is pretty dark in parts and I don't think they'll want to use all of it in Movie 3 as the stories in the first two movies are more lighthearted. That said, it would be awesome if Jim Carrey gets to blow up part of the moon 😅

Come on SEGA, now would be the perfect time to remake/remaster SA2 in the lead up to Movie 3!

Sonic games have ended up in space quite often so it would be logical for movie 3 to go there as Eggman's plans grow more ambitious (regardless as to where it's to do with the space colony ark, the death egg, little planet, borrowing elements from Sonic Colours or something completely new).

Whilst I appreciate all the Sonic 2, 3, SA1 & 2 references in Sonic Movie 2 it would be nice to see more references to games post-SA2 in the next movie. Perhaps they could adapt story elements the more recent games?

I actually think that might be the appeal for the studio. Shadow appeals to an older fan base, and I could see Jeff Fowler wanting to branch out in tone and feel to tell the story right. 

By the time this movie comes out, let's say 2025, that kids that watched the first film will have grown up, and I could see that being taken into consideration. Shadow is def gonna get a spinoff film 

I thought it was a pretty enjoyable film though kinda dragged in obvious places like the dance and wedding areas. I don't need either to be scrapped per say but either retooled or just switched with something better. Like the dance felt like extremely forced conflict that Sonic especially is taking way too seriously for what is not a threat...like at all. It's like Sonic forgot OH FUCK I"M SONIC and the millions of ways he could have trivialized the entire thing. The wedding has been talked on long enough but I did dig the bride going apeshit. That was pretty entertaining.

Anyways Knuckles was the best by far. Absolutely loved him in this movie and he was my favourite to watch. This is probably PEAK Knuckles for me honestly. I'm now really looking forward to his spin off now. Sonic was still fun and while I don't really care for the pop culture references his other one liners I did enjoy. I'd rather more of that and less of the former. Though it's a new take of Sonic so I'm willing to let that gripe go. This Sonic grew up differently and it's just apart of that version. Eggman is Jim Carrey...I mean really I'm sorry while I enjoy him I only just see Jim Carrey being crazy. Every time they say Robotnik or Eggman I go "Oh yeah he is that." Then immediately just go back to crazy Jim Carrey on my mental process.

Then we have Tails who......Is it weird to say I'm sad they didn't be a little more experimental with him? We got new takes of Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman...but Tails is...basically just 1 to 1 if not showing more of the early inexperience he'd have. I mean he had enough screen time I'd say, maybe I'd want more but it's still a satisfactory amount. It's just...I kinda was hoping to see how they would tackle and maybe refresh the character in this new universe....and he's basically just the manual to Sonic 2 but slightly changed. It's a passable Tails which is more than I can say for games lately, but the lack of marketing really did kinda prophesize he seems to be the one who had the least amount of thought put into. I also feel like the bond with Sonic only really had that one dance section and after...and that's about it. Even his typical game motivation/goal is kinda weaker. We have the interesting thing where at first he wants NOTHING to do with the mission and I feel like a sort of journey to become a great sidekick to Sonic could have happened.....but it just does nothing with it. I can say for Tails fans as well as myself it's a passable portrayal without the modernisms that we hate, but it doesn't really do anything special with the character. He has moments and scenes where he does stuff so if you only want that it's there. But as a character...not really much is done. There isn't really a character arc at all. Only Knuckles and Sonic get one.

Oh yeah and Shadow. Well if they can succeed him like Knuckles then he's in good hands I'll say that. I enjoy the movie universe, moreso than the main one at it's current stance. It's not PEAK SONIC for me, but it's about the most satisfying for me Sonic's been in a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

I caught a show this morning. The cinema was fairly empty, but what do you expect at 10am on a Sunday? It wasn't dead though.

So the film was... Pretty good. Its definitely on par with the first one. Spoiler tags just so that this hopefully doesn't show up on anyone's feed. 

Spoiler

As an adaptation that's similar to but not exactly the same as the games that it pulls from, it felt authentic. They changed things like the Chaos and Master Emeralds, Knuckles' back story, GUN and so on, but it all worked. I was especially pleased with how they handled Knuckles. He's not stupid, and he's not dark and broody. He's honour-bound and naive. And he was of course very goofy. It was a really, really good interpretation of his character. The fact that he was never portrayed as actually being evil was good too.

And this might sound like something small, but I'm so pleased about the fact that Knuckles and Tails were portrayed as being capable of super speeds. That's such a big part of the series and I was worried that they would omit it from characters other than Sonic to make it stand out as his superpower. Everyone is fast, but Sonic is able to take it to another level.

The credits scene was super predictable. Shadow has always been a more bankable, popular character than Metal ever since his first appearance. I'm surprised to see people thinking otherwise. It'll be interesting to see how they adapt SA2's plot.

On to the negatives... The film was definitely too long. The entire Siberia portion of the film? Absolutely awful. It added nothing, except a forced bonding moment for Sonic and Tails at the end of it. That was trash. And so was the Hawaii part. I feel like that part could have been handled better, because the plot with the human characters felt too secondary. Whilst Tom and Maddie were a surprisingly decent part of the first film, they were out of the picture for too long this time. There wasn't enough of them, and at the same time everything that happened in Hawaii with them was a slog.

On the whole and as I said before, it was on par with the first film. Higher highs and more game material all handled in a clever way, but lower lows that dragged the movie down. It gets a thumbs up.

Oh and just a note about people posting spoilers before the movie was out but thinking that they weren't spoiling anything. I'll discuss that spoiler below:

Spoiler

I wish everyone talking about the leaked McDonald's toys or whatever it was that spoiled Super Sonic would have shut up about it. Saying something like "the leaks contain a massive spoiler for the end of the movie that I was hoping for" doesn't leave anything to the imagination. 

Ffs. If there are spoilers, you should just be as vague about them as possible. Say "it spoils something not in the trailers" and leave it at that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the Siberia dance ending was amazing and I don’t see why anyone is complaining much about the wedding

it helps make sure Tom and Maddie don’t fall to the wayside 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

I think the Siberia dance ending was amazing and I don’t see why anyone is complaining much about the wedding

it helps make sure Tom and Maddie don’t fall to the wayside 

I don't think anyone wants Tom and Maddie to fall to the wayside, the general consensus is that it either could have been tighter, it failed to not make them feel like they had fallen to the wayside despite that being the goal, or both.

The main issue I think is that the only time they really did anything was when Sonic was out-of-action.  Maddie and Rachel's infiltration of the hotel was a fun little sequence I felt, but it definitely felt like "and now it's time for the humans to do some stuff!" due to how disconnected it was.  Unlike the first film where Tom was driving the car during the highway chase and punched Robotnik during the climax (obviously Maddie didn't get to do much at all, so I'm glad they fixed that here).

It's a very tricky problem to solve, the humans don't have super-powers so it's hard to weave them in alongside the stuff that Sonic and friends do to save the day, and Sonic is sent on a much less human-friendly adventure this time, so I empathise with the choices made.  They're far from bad, but I just definitely felt like it all could have been executed better somehow, just something to break the aforementioned bold/italic feeling in the above paragraph.

I will say though, the more I think about it, the more I like their role in the finale - it's small, simply running over to Sonic to make sure he's okay, in spite of the blatant danger of doing so - a completely logicless, impulsive, and most importantly selfless display of their familial love for him, which of course should absolutely be the impetus for this iteration of Sonic's super transformation.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Whilst I wouldn't mind if they adapted SA2's story or the next movie, SA2's story is pretty dark in parts and I don't think they'll want to use all of it in Movie 3 as the stories in the first two movies are more lighthearted.

PEGi 3/E for everyone levels of darkness it'll be fine.

17 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Unnamed - but before it comes up - nope, there's absolutely no inspiration taken from Locke lol.

We only see him for 20-30 seconds telling Young Knuckles to stay home while the tribe is on a hunt, which led to their deaths. 

No inspiration from Locke? Lol get bent Penders.

40 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I don't think anyone wants Tom and Maddie to fall to the wayside, the general consensus is that it either could have been tighter, it failed to not make them feel like they had fallen to the wayside despite that being the goal, or both.

The main issue I think is that the only time they really did anything was when Sonic was out-of-action.  Maddie and Rachel's infiltration of the hotel was a fun little sequence I felt, but it definitely felt like "and now it's time for the humans to do some stuff!" due to how disconnected it was.  Unlike the first film where Tom was driving the car during the highway chase and punched Robotnik during the climax (obviously Maddie didn't get to do much at all, so I'm glad they fixed that here).

It's a very tricky problem to solve, the humans don't have super-powers so it's hard to weave them in alongside the stuff that Sonic and friends do to save the day, and Sonic is sent on a much less human-friendly adventure this time, so I empathise with the choices made.  They're far from bad, but I just definitely felt like it all could have been executed better somehow, just something to break the aforementioned bold/italic feeling in the above paragraph.

I will say though, the more I think about it, the more I like their role in the finale - it's small, simply running over to Sonic to make sure he's okay, in spite of the blatant danger of doing so - a completely logicless, impulsive, and most importantly selfless display of their familial love for him, which of course should absolutely be the impetus for this iteration of Sonic's super transformation.

I find it funny too, because the reactions to how the humans have been handled is all over the place from both professional critics and the fanbase as a whole. And the thing is, both critics and fans agree the human segments are the weakest parts, it's just the reaction that is different. 

Critics feel like the humans feel too disconnected compared to the first movie, and thus they should have been more organically involved in the plot. (Hence all of the memes of fans balking "MOAR HUMANS, BAH") 

While fans feel like the human stuff was getting in the way of the more Sonic related stuff and shouldn't have been in the movie period. 

Yea, it's definitely not an easily solved problem because fans and critics want too entirely different types of movies; fans obviously want more Sonic stuff and less human stuff, while critics, at the very least, want something that meshes both together more seamlessly. 

I feel like with Shadow coming in the 3rd movie, it's a good chance to do that since Shadow's story is linked to humans and their interactions with the anthros. 

16 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I feel like with Shadow coming in the 3rd movie, it's a good chance to do that since Shadow's story is linked to humans and their interactions with the anthros. 

That is of course if they choose to go that route, who knows they might do something a little different.

If they choose not to however, I wouldn't be surprised if the Olive Garden guy ends up being the head of G.U.N. character from Shadow the Hedgehog.  It would explain how he knows about Project Shadow (that and the fact he's the head of a huge military operations :sweat_smile:).

So I just went to see it a second time because hey, I really enjoyed my time with it last time and I get free cinema so what's their to lose?  It got me thinking about what they could do with Sonic 3.  Many people here seem disappointed about them not having Chaos be announced or revealed but I have a theory he might be.

Let's say throughout the next film Sonic and Shadow are fighting it out because Shadow is on Robotniks side and they are both trying to disciver the power of Chaos, kinda like the intro film to Unleashed with the Gaia Manuscripts.  It get's released and Chaos goes against Robotnik leaving only Team Sonic and Shadow to fight against it, even with Sonic in his Super form isn't enough, but with Shadow and Sonic both in Super form, that would be.  Then Boom, Super Sonic and Super Shadow fighting against Chaos for the fate of the world.  And why not be the world, so far we've had San Francisco and Green Hills be the final fight locations, maybe this fight could take place in a flooded New York or London.

Anyway, that's my idea of what might come next.