Awoo.

Is it possible for the arcade Sonic games to make it to the consoles?

GhadiousIncarnate

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Indigo Rush

• Phos

• jackskellinghog

• GhadiousIncarnate

Besides SEGASonic the only arcade Sonic games you're missing out on are just a bunch of gimmicky coin-op games like the Waku Waku Patrol Car or whatever its called. However, word on the street is that SEGASonic was never ported due to issues emulating the trackball controls, whether theres any truth in this is up for debate though.

Besides SEGASonic the only arcade Sonic games you're missing out on are just a bunch of gimmicky coin-op games like the Waku Waku Patrol Car or whatever its called. However, word on the street is that SEGASonic was never ported due to issues emulating the trackball controls, whether theres any truth in this is up for debate though.

Well, can't they try to fix that problem?

Emulation of the arcade titles could be easily achieved via a direct console port of MAME; SegaSonic worked to near-perfection on that particular piece of software, so there's no saying that, let's say, an XBox 360 or PlayStation 3 couldn't handle it. Besides, the thing about the model of arcade machine that SegaSonic originally ran on is that it was very similar in design to the MegaDrive (and in most ways, the 32X) so technically, a developer could utilise the already-written MegaDrive emulation software in the process of getting SegaSonic to work on modern consoles.

As for the other arcade games, I have no clue as to what will run them. I'm guessing that MAME should probably have it covered in some shape or form? In any case, SEGA should get SegaSonic out of the way first, and then tackle the other, more extraneous arcade titles; it is, after all, the most highly demanded retro Sonic title at the present moment, and the company would be completely foolish not to partake in the creation of such a port - making fans happy (and making healthy profits) is, as we may have already guessed, not an easy task!

... And when they're done, maybe SEGA could be persuaded to give Chaotix some emulation treatment? We can only hope...

The trackballs can be configured to regular controllers. It would probably mean that there would be some minor or big changes and adjustments. The players would move differently. But I know that SegaSonic Arcade would, and should be a great addition to the next Sonic compilations game.

We already got Sonic the Fighters.

The only two I'd be interested in are SEGASonic the Hedgehog Arcade and Cosmic Sonic.

They said they tried to input SEGASonic Arcade in Gems Collection but it was hard to get past the trackball mechanic.

...I have never seen anything of Cosmic Sonic than the art in Gems Collection though.

I haven't been able to get my 360 controller to work properly with MAME when playing SegaSonic Arcade, which made the game near impossible for me to play even when using a keyboard (I've had various other frustrations with the game, though). Guess they haven't bothered with proper trackball to analog yet...

Anyway you're not missing out, SegaSonic is severely lacking and the absolute barebones of Sonic platformers.

The only two I'd be interested in are SEGASonic the Hedgehog Arcade and Cosmic Sonic Cosmo Fighter.

They said they tried to input SEGASonic Arcade in Gems Collection but it was hard to get past the trackball mechanic.

...I have never seen anything of Cosmic Sonic Cosmo Fighter than the art in Gems Collection though.

Yeah, someone (Naka?) said the biggest hurdle would be getting the controls to work.. even if they found a way I'm guessing the old folks at Sega would want us to play it the way it was intended... with a ball?

I've played Cosmo Fighter several times many years ago.. probably not worth bringing over to the consoles because the game only lasts 10 minutes... if that

I've never understood why the trackball can't just be converted to an analogue stick, but maybe it's easier said than done.

If this rumoured Sonic compilation for ps3 ever comes to be I really hope they put in the effort to include it.

I played it using MAME 32 FX. I had to lower the sensitivity way down to keep from overrunning the track ball. You tend to fall into pits and stuff a lot. I don't really see the trackball helping much because you can't change direction mid air.

Edited by Phos

I actually played SEGASONIC Arcade on the original arcade machine back at SEGAWORLD. The trackball made the thing painful and damn near impossible to play properly, if you ask me. Made my wrist hurt after a couple of minutes.

No wonder I gave up on the thing and went back to Sonic the Fighters.

Best Sonic Arcade game ever:

LongCabinet.jpg

Needs to be ported through the "Chuck-E-Cheese" cardboard pizza emulator 3.0.

^ Is that a pinball machine? I've seen it around the internet.

For the SEGASonic trackball, I don't see why an analog stick and buttons can't be used to mimic the same rolling motion. Like a virtual trackball. Stick direction plus a shoulder button equals rolling, and keep pressing the button to roll faster. Then another shoulder button stops the rolling, like brakes. And put the jump button on the face.

It's a coin launcher, akin to the thing from SSB Brawl.

http://www.sonicgear.org/ArcadeMachines/ArcadeSonic.html

Sort of... it was more of a mix between said coin launcher and a roulette. You had only so much of a chance to earn some tickets, and if you landed on Robotnik, you got the Jackpot! I won the Jackpot 3 in a row on my birthday once. :)

Also, it'll say "OUT OF TIX" when it's out of tickets. lol 90s lingo.

Edited by Indigo Dude

I actually played SEGASONIC Arcade on the original arcade machine back at SEGAWORLD. The trackball made the thing painful and damn near impossible to play properly, if you ask me. Made my wrist hurt after a couple of minutes.

I played the arcade game as well, It wasn't that good. You'll find that wanting it is better than having it in this case.

It's probably more for the benefit of collecting than for actually playing it. It's a rare title, the fans will want it because of this.

It's probably more for the benefit of collecting than for actually playing it. It's a rare title, the fans will want it because of this.

Haha we're talking about us Sonic fans asif we're a type of Animal.

I've never played the game, but I can only imagine how annoying the whole trackball thing worked out.

You'd think that the transfer of trackball to controller wouldn't be hard, but if they couldn't transfer it, than couldn't they simply try to code a new control design?