Jump to content
Awoo.

Which movie was better: Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) or Sonic the Hedgehog 2?


Recommended Posts

So, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has finally come out and I was wondering about which movie do you like better: the first Sonic the Hedgehog movie or Sonic the Hedgehog 2?

For me, I think I liked Sonic the Hedgehog 2 a bit better than the first movie.  While the first movie had better character developments between Tom and Sonic, the second movie was much more action packed and had more personal stakes for Sonic.  And I thought that the moments between Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic and Tails were the strongest points of the film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first movie left me feeling it was surprisingly good and wholesome *despite* it not being the Sonic movie I really wanted it to be. 

The second movie was almost everything I wanted a Sonic movie to be, plus it carried on the wholesomeness of the first film and had much deeper heartfelt stuff (to me, anyway) and overall had much stronger moments so yeah the second one was better.  The first movie stumbled a bit but still ran so the second movie could fly up and do a slam-dunk. 
 

The biggest question I have atm is whether the third movie can somehow continue the momentum and be even better or if it will fall short. I guess we just gotta see how things pan out whether Jim will return and go from there.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, caitash said:

The first movie left me feeling it was surprisingly good and wholesome *despite* it not being the Sonic movie I really wanted it to be. 

The second movie was almost everything I wanted a Sonic movie to be, plus it carried on the wholesomeness of the first film and had much deeper heartfelt stuff (to me, anyway) and overall had much stronger moments so yeah the second one was better.  The first movie stumbled a bit but still ran so the second movie could fly up and do a slam-dunk. 
 

The biggest question I have atm is whether the third movie can somehow continue the momentum and be even better or if it will fall short. I guess we just gotta see how things pan out whether Jim will return and go from there.

I do wonder that if Jim doesn't come back, what villain do you think they will use for the third movie?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve watched the Sonic Movie 2 last weekend In the UK. And I got to say Sonic Movie 2 Is my favourite Sonic Movie so far and better In my opinion. I was getting goosebumps vibes from the games reference’s. I love It with Sonic & Knuckles In the movie because I get Sonic 3 & Knuckles vibes from the game and memories as well. And I really enjoyed watching Tails on the big screen as well he was so fun to watch and another favourite character I love as well 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeTheHedgehog said:

I’ve watched the Sonic Movie 2 last weekend In the UK. And I got to say Sonic Movie 2 Is my favourite Sonic Movie so far and better In my opinion. I was getting goosebumps vibes from the games reference’s. I love It with Sonic & Knuckles In the movie because I get Sonic 3 & Knuckles vibes from the game and memories as well. And I really enjoyed watching Tails on the big screen as well he was so fun to watch and another favourite character I love as well 😊

I really liked the game references in the movie and Tails was such a cute character in the movie!

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The second film offered me much more of what I want out of a movie like this. More characters, more action and an overall fun time. But as a movie it does fall flat on its face in comparison to the first. Many of the gags overstay their welcome and the whole thing comes across as even more juvenile than the first. Playing to a younger audience is fine, but it can be patronizing at many points. There were many parts of the second film where I was wishing what I was seeing would just stop. Jim's physical comedy ran the gambit from brilliant to OMG why are they letting him bark and lick a windshield. Lots of peaks and valleys over the course of the film.

The first movie played it very safe, and it does reap the rewards of doing so. It checks all the boxes of basic road trip movie and never hurts itself.

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I thought the first movie was absolute generic trash (I didn't care that the design was better since I knew full well the story was gonna be the exact same regardless) but was at least happy that everyone else was able to have a good time, like my friends who watched it with me and the general audience around.

Sonic 2, though? Muuuuuch much better. Not perfect and could definitely trim some unneeded fat, mind you, but damn we were popping off in the theaters. Definitely something nobody in the theaters was doing for the first one. This gave us genuine reaction, which automatically makes it a better movie. Honestly, I'd feel I'd perceive it being even better if the trailers didn't show so much beforehand, but they did what they had to do to show this was gonna be a better movie.

I would say though, I'm def getting some strooooong Gex the Gecko vibes from Movie Sonic though, haha. Like, it's practically a Gex movie with how he always got something to say especially with his TV references. It's really weird and not exactly my favorite, but I like Gex, so I tolerate this take on Sonic. Could be improved, tho. When he gets a lil more serious, that's when I'm like "hmmm, thats a lil more like it."  However, I liked Tails as they did my boy right and Knuckles was pretty cool, too. It felt home and familiar. I actually like some of the new lore add libs they've done for Knuckles, too. It kinda explains his past a lil better that I kinda wish we had a lil of in the games =P. Jim's Eggman? An interesting take, but he makes me smile. He's very animated which I can't really see anyone else doing. The people? Ehh, not the worst thing in the world. I warmed up to Tom and his gf a little. They just need to chill on their side stories a little more, really.

But yea. It's pretty solid. Definitely the best video game movie to date. I'm just glad it was my boy Sonic to be the one 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, StriCNYN3 said:

But yea. It's pretty solid. Definitely the best video game movie to date. I'm just glad it was my boy Sonic to be the one 😃

I'm also glad that Sonic is the one paving the way for good video game movies. This franchise is starting to be in good hands again (now, we just need the same thing to happen for the games).

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course Sonic 2 was better. It's way better. Sonic 1 was good, it distanced itself from most video game adaptation films but Sonic 2 really distanced itself from all video game adaption films and to me, competes with other Hollywood films such as The Batman.

Sonic 1 - I only rewatched 1 time and have no desire to watch it again. I can see myself rewatching Sonic 2 a number of times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first movie was really enjoyable, but I don't feel like it's really Sonic until he has his friends (at the very least Team Sonic.) Even with the draggy parts, Sonic 2 was amazing and gave me just about everything I was looking for.

I guess my answer is Sonic 2 then, but like someone said, Sonic 1 is what got us here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2022 at 2:56 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

The second film offered me much more of what I want out of a movie like this. More characters, more action and an overall fun time. But as a movie it does fall flat on its face in comparison to the first. Many of the gags overstay their welcome and the whole thing comes across as even more juvenile than the first. Playing to a younger audience is fine, but it can be patronizing at many points. There were many parts of the second film where I was wishing what I was seeing would just stop. Jim's physical comedy ran the gambit from brilliant to OMG why are they letting him bark and lick a windshield. Lots of peaks and valleys over the course of the film.

The first movie played it very safe, and it does reap the rewards of doing so. It checks all the boxes of basic road trip movie and never hurts itself.

 

Someone else understands me lol.

The first one just felt more "whole" with its humble story, a more reigned-in villainous Jim performance, etc. Plus it was the debut of the blue boy on the big screen so it was that much more special.

With Sonic 2, it felt like a cross between a low-brow kiddie flick with the humor, and being genuinely heartfelt. I liked the more game-centric locales and the lore tweaks; but felt Jim's acting had a little TOO much of his signature mannerisms this time around, so I barely saw him as Eggman. Also that bar dance scene was borderline Illumination's Minions material. Knuckles was done justice overall, at least. 

Right now, I feel that Sonic 1 is the better movie, while Sonic 2 is the better Sonic movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.