Awoo.

[CLOSED BETA] Sonic Speed Simulator - An OFFICIAL Sonic Roblox Game

DaBigJ

Betcha weren't expecting to see this today!

**Expect server resets**

CLOSED BETA - PAID ACCESS UNTIL PUBLIC LAUNCH - DAILY UPDATES IN PROGRESS

DATA RESETS WILL HAPPEN AS WE MAKE CHANGES TO GAME TO MAKE IT MORE AMAZING.

✨Jump in and explore SONIC SPEED SIMULATOR!

👟Run to level-up and increase your speed!

🏁 Hang out with friends and compete in races!

🌎Unlock and explore 5 unique worlds!

🐱‍🏍Rebirth to increase your max level and max speed!

😈Help Sonic stop Doctor Eggman from dominating the world!

Join the group to be the first to hear about release and updates.

...Yup! This sure is a thing! I guess after the Sonic Movie 2 obby in the Nickelodeon Roblox game, this was inevitable, but it's still quite bizarre to see.

2 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

did I just see... Chao... and rolling physics...??

You did.

A ROBLOX game did what no 3D Sonic since, like, 06, could do...have momentum.

Let that sink in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've got kinda mixed feeling about this. On one point, it's awesome to see a project like that, bringing some bridge between official and fan-made content. It's not entirely surprising with SEGA's strategy about Sonic from the latest few year, but it's one cool step, and it could bring interesting stuff in the future (but certainly will have issues like most of the "let's use fans to not really employ them on works")

On another point... Roblox. With all the issues with Roblox economical model, its exploitation of young devs, it rubs me really the wrong way to see SEGA advertise for this plateform, as Roblox don't seems to have gotten better. I mean, just a few month ago, SEGA made its only copyright strike against a Sonic Fangame for years, for a game where the dev did both monetize his game and grooming. Roblox didn't intervene efficiently against that game before SEGA came. I hope that this studio compensate adequately at least devs for their works (as "studios" are often kinda problematic in Roblox, is this one known to be good ?).

So... I've got trouble to be fully happy about all this. At least, it's nice to see a project getting official approval.

• Thumbs Up 5

Wait did I just see Paid access for a Beta? Is that something new companies are doing.

I feel like it's important to note (and was something I found out after making the thread) is that the game gets public access tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Darkvizardberrytan said:

Wait did I just see Paid access for a Beta? Is that something new companies are doing.

Pay in the sense of using Robux.

This is basically like one of those fan game proof of concepts that pop up every year or so but...

Look at it... Not the buggy stuff which is clearly broken... But just really look at it.

Look at all places you can go.
The things you can interact with.
What automated restrictions are clearly there don't prioritise a spectacle over making it seem like you're in control.
The decisions you as the player can make.

... .... Where has this been for the last 10 years!? Where the only decision a player has is "When do I press boost and jump?"

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

8 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

This is basically like one of those fan game proof of concepts that pop up every year or so but...

Look at it... Not the buggy stuff which is clearly broken... But just really look at it.

Look at all places you can go.
The things you can interact with.
What automated restrictions are clearly there don't prioritise a spectacle over making it seem like you're in control.
The decisions you as the player can make.

... .... Where has this been for the last 10 years!? Where the only decision a player has is "When do I press boost and jump?"

The playable Tails and Knuckles too.

Granted, this game was made be fan devs and not the official SEGA devs...but still, it's quite concerning how this kinda looks more interesting than Frontiers.

Oh, neat. I didn't know that companies were collaborating with Roblox to make official games. Thought it was all user-content. This looks like it fits that one other game's description that leaked alongside Frontiers and Mario Odyssey 2. 

Spoiler

Sonic Frontiers Leaks and Timeline – SoaH City

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

This is just the boomer in me but I still have no clue what the fuck Roblox is

But still, this is pretty neat looking.

Roblox has actually been around since 2006, believe it or not

I used to play it when I was a kid lol

• Thumbs Up 1

I concur with @Zaysho. I don't really understand what Roblox is, but I guess I'll have to figure it out tomorrow, because the game does look fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

This is just the boomer in me but I still have no clue what the fuck Roblox is

But still, this is pretty neat looking.

Think of Roblox as one of those game maker tools mixed with something like Club Penguin. You create and play games, customize a virtual avatar, and interact with others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mixed with a marketplace fusing microtransactions and unregulated dev work targeting often childrens/minor too.

32 minutes ago, Razule said:

Oh, neat. I didn't know that companies were collaborating with Roblox to make official games. Thought it was all user-content. This looks like it fits that one other game's description that leaked alongside Frontiers and Mario Odyssey 2. 

Reveal hidden contents

Sonic Frontiers Leaks and Timeline – SoaH City

That's certainly be just a coincidence, but it's kinda funny.

I wounder how works the collaboration between the studio and Sonic Studio for that project. Is this just a project that the studio do and SEGA vagely looks if there isn't anything harmful to their brand to let them, or if they actually have to obey more to some standard and stuff.

3 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Mixed with a marketplace fusing microtransactions and unregulated dev work targeting often childrens/minor too.

That's certainly be just a coincidence, but it's kinda funny.

I wounder how works the collaboration between the studio and Sonic Studio for that project. Is this just a project that the studio do and SEGA vagely looks if there isn't anything harmful to their brand to let them, or if they actually have to obey more to some standard and stuff.

Yeah. Roblox is kind of scummy, but honestly it's not surprising anymore.

As for the collab thing, I can only assume that the studio was overlooked by SEGA to make sure nothing inappropriate was added, but at the same time the devs were able to be free. Only guessing, of course.

43 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Roblox has actually been around since 2006, believe it or not

I used to play it when I was a kid lol

That's wild to me since I would have assumed it was younger than Minecraft rather than the other way around. I didn't really first hear about it until maybe 2016/17 when it was a random joke in an Etika stream haha

Something that is sort of interesting about this that I'm noticing on rewatch is the use of warp rings in navigation. I know the movie is probably the immediate comparison but it also made me think of that weird, stilted promotional art Sega's been using lately with Sonic jumping out of rings

FMTLKklXoAcdDDu.png

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I feel like it's important to note (and was something I found out after making the thread) is that the game gets public access tomorrow.

Pay in the sense of using Robux.

Ah thanks that is much better since I already have Robux on my system

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this is embarassing

Imagine a Roblox mod having the stuff people have been asking Sonic Team since ever

Oh, interesting! I saw this earlier weeks ago in a YouTube video:

Apparently, it used to be an unofficial fan game that you had to PAY for, so it's cool that it's now a sanctioned product. 

29 minutes ago, Jango said:

Well this is embarassing

Imagine a Roblox mod having the stuff people have been asking Sonic Team since ever

Roblox games aren't mods though