Awoo.

SEGA Delisting Sonic 1/2/3K/CD From Digital Stores May 20

DaBigJ
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Classic Sonic Games Getting Delisted Across Xbox, PlayStation and Steam Next Month at some point.

18 minutes ago, JonoD said:

Doesn't solve the Sonic 3K issue, but that was never on that platform anyway.

You could access it iirc if you had both 3 as well as Sonic & Knuckles individually purchased on the 360/PS3

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

You could access it iirc if you had both 3 as well as Sonic & Knuckles individually purchased on the 360/PS3

PS3 never got the their stand alone versions.

8 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

PS3 never got the their stand alone versions.

Ohh. I always thought both systems got them since they basically all received the other sonic games together 

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Ohh. I always thought both systems got them since they basically all received the other sonic games together 

Xbox got 1 & 2 in 2007 3 & K in 2009

PS3 Got 1 & 2 in 2011 probably after the mucic issues for 3 happened.

• Thumbs Up 3

Posted By: DK Fan

It’s out with the older ports, and in with the newer ones with more features.

Posted By: Metal

Hm. Not thrilled about this. Theoretically this bundle will be equivalent or superior to all the individual games being delisted via the “Classic” mode included in Origins. Practically though, the Steam versions of each game in particular support a lot of romhacks through the workshop that probably will not be supported in this release. I think they might have some limited VR too which I very much doubt Origins will have.

It totally makes sense that Sega is removing the old games so as not to confuse new buyers, but I really don’t like games being delisted under any circumstances. It would probably cause them some headaches, but I wish they just left all the old stuff up.

This... is a dangerous idea. VERY dangerous.
I have optimistic faith in Origins, but attempting to erase the classics and originals like this is a bad step backwards.

Rockstar did this with the older GTA games when they released the Definitive Trilogy and that debacle cost them dearly, taking away years and years of customer goodwill. It's fine to say these are the definitive way to play the games, but attempting to force players onto them by removing the classics is... its not a popular move.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:46 AM, Tornado said:

I think you need to recalibrate your definition of "modern" if you're going two console generations back for an example. Sonic 3 and Knuckles also wasn't on that collection. 

Recalibrate? Ok.

Modern in the sense you can easily get it up and running. Sonic 3 & Knuckles wasn’t a possibility on that collection but those games in stand alone form were. 

Also, If you have the download versions as in ‘Sega Classics’ for 360 you can play S3&K, Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Blue sphere. 

Posted By: It'll Be Okay Guys

I can empathize with everyone lamenting this, but at the same time there are so many other ways to play these games it's pretty difficult to be surprised or feel bad at this point. 🤷‍♂️

Posted By: obewanjacobi

Can't help but wonder (specifically for Steam) what this means for the Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics ports. If we already have them purchased, will we still be able to redownload them in the future? I feel like this raises a lot of similar questions but that link doesn't seem to answer any.

Posted By: Megasis

I really don’t like the idea of delisting of the Sega Classics games from Steam. They’re not even close to the same thing as Sonic Origins. The Sega Classics versions are emulated originals (complete with a hackable ROM) where the Sonic Origins versions are Taxman’s remakes. There is a huge difference there. Sega Classics has always been my example of how to properly do a retro game release, and I hate to see Sega dismantling part of it. Just release Origins alongside Sega Classics – I’d probably still grab Origins in order to play the Sonic 2 remake on something other than a phone.

Posted By: Kev

On 4/28/2022 at 6:33 PM, obewanjacobi said:

Can't help but wonder (specifically for Steam) what this means for the Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics ports. If we already have them purchased, will we still be able to redownload them in the future? I feel like this raises a lot of similar questions but that link doesn't seem to answer any.

Of course. You bought them so they're in your library. They'll just be removed from sale for new purchases.

This is anti-consumerist and gross. I think the argument that "but if they leave them up, people will get confused and buy the inferior versions!!" is total bullcrap that only makes sense if you think video game buyers are idiots that can't think for themselves and need to have the "correct" products (the products that just so happen to be the ones that give the companies more money) spoonfed to them. It's perfectly legitimate to prefer the non-Origins versions for whatever reason, whether it's being economical, wanting something closer to the original design of the games, wanting to use mods, or whatever. Honestly, with this news, there is no chance I will buy Sonic Origins unless Sega reverses this decision. Of course, the possibility that lives might not be an option in the widescreen mode and the inclusion of Denuvo already had me leaning in that direction anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

This is anti-consumerist and gross. I think the argument that "but if they leave them up, people will get confused and buy the inferior versions!!" is total bullcrap that only makes sense if you think video game buyers are idiots that can't think for themselves and need to have the "correct" products (the products that just so happen to be the ones that give the companies more money) spoonfed to them. It's perfectly legitimate to prefer the non-Origins versions for whatever reason, whether it's being economical, wanting something closer to the original design of the games, wanting to use mods, or whatever. Honestly, with this news, there is no chance I will buy Sonic Origins unless Sega reverses this decision. Of course, the possibility that lives might not be an option in the widescreen mode and the inclusion of Denuvo already had me leaning in that direction anyway.

Going off of what you’ve said, you don’t own any of the original roms like there are on Steam? If not, then you absolutely still can get those versions before the de-list date and continue to enjoy them after they’ve been pulled from sale, and at the pre-markup price.

You’re absolutely within reason to prefer those versions and not want origins, but given that they will continue to be available for a good few weeks yet and will continue to be in your steam library after they’ve been de-listed and they cost so little to buy right now, it really isn’t the massive issue a lot are claiming it to be. Just get them now, enjoy them and don’t buy Origins.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Slimequeen

Not unexpected but I hate how much devs don't care about preserving media, not to mention I'm sure there are people out there who could never be bothered to spend the money on later consoles. I myself have given up on the new console generation, my broke ass just can't justify spending all that money. Maybe I can get a PS5 when the PS6 comes out but I wonder if I'll ever get another new console as I get more and more disillusioned with the wack ass video game industry.

It's completely reasonable to just not personally care, but I think if your mindset is "this isn't that important because you can buy them for a while/you can still get them illegally (doesn't help with the Steam version mods)/most people who want them already have them" I think there needs to be an understanding that those who are bothered by this are coming far more from "it's the principle of the matter" standpoint.  If you don't really care then fair enough, but the basic attitude is just "there is no good reason not to leave them up".  I think the only time anyone wants ANY product delisted is when there is particular demand to do so - the product is a rip-off/offensive in bad faith/creators are criminals etc.  Otherwise, theoretically, it's kind of betraying one of the biggest advantages that digital goods have over the world of physical goods - there is no need to remove stuff to make room for new stuff.  We can just have all the stuff available forever... or at least, you would've thought.

The one defense for SEGA I WILL give... is that us nerds probably do underestimate the potential for customer confusion.  Just watching my colleagues who haven't grown up using a computer every day like I did, try to perform what I would consider incredibly basic functions on the office computer, has really opened my eyes for how you can't take some stuff for granted at all.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't think we should argue "just get them now" when at the end of the day, options are being taken away that don't have to be. There shouldn't be a timer. Responses about buying old collections, maybe on platforms some people don't own (we're not all Scott the Woz) aren't helpful either. The Steam versions are the most modern and accessible for a lot of people, and is also legal, and that's what most fan mods like A.I.R. are based on. Sure, Origins largely replaces the need for them in a lot of ways, but as others have pointed out, maybe enthusiasts have different interests in the games, and maybe some would like to try out the mods they see fans raving about before realizing they aren't available. Or maybe the DRM is too much of a hassle. There just isn't a reason short of Sega somehow getting into legal trouble over the music or something stupid that I almost expect if those versions remain.

And it's even more confusing anyway because the AGES remasters for 1 and 2 (which are completely different products than the Genesis ROMs or Origins) are still remaining on Switch, one of the main platforms for Origins. How do those not cause confusion but the Genesis ROMs/CD 2011 on Steam do? It's just really inconsistent messaging, but that's not a surprise after that disastrous chart they did to go along with the formal announcement.

• Thumbs Up 6

I can't help but agree that on principle this practice absolutely sucks, but sadly that's just how it's going to crumble. We, modders, speedrunners and other consumers just have so suck it up if we're not willing to obtain via other means after the date, but my point is that at least we have options to mitigate that disruption so folks can by and large keep going legally as they always have. After all, unlike the shitshow that was GTA Definitive, these games haven't vanished overnight without any prior warning.

If there's no longer any legal way to play those roms outside of pirating or what have you after the date and it ends up harming SEGA's bottom line, then that's on SEGA in all honesty. Consumers will find those alternatives they need if an official channel won't provide it for them.

• Thumbs Up 4

How much you wanna bet these roms will become Sonic Origins DLC? "True Classic" Pack, only $9.99!!

Spoiler

If this actually happens, I blame Scott

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2022 at 8:26 AM, Slimequeen said:

Not unexpected but I hate how much devs don't care about preserving media, not to mention I'm sure there are people out there who could never be bothered to spend the money on later consoles. I myself have given up on the new console generation, my broke ass just can't justify spending all that money. Maybe I can get a PS5 when the PS6 comes out but I wonder if I'll ever get another new console as I get more and more disillusioned with the wack ass video game industry.

Keep in mind, this is the publisher, not the developers.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, Eurisko said:

Recalibrate? Ok.

Modern in the sense you can easily get it up and running

Cool story. What if I had it on PS3? 

I can easily get a copy of Mega Collection/Mega Collection Plus up and running in one of the 15,000 Wiis/PS2s available in any pawn shop you walk into in the country; or just putting it into a computer and playing it in Dolphin/PCSX2. I can easily get an original copy of Sonic 1 or 2 or 3 running in one of the 15,000 original Genesis or AtGames ripoff consoles available in any pawn shop you walk into in the country. Since these are 30 year old games, I can easily get them up and running by downloading an emulator and playing the ROMs of them I first downloaded off the internet 20 years ago. The official collection you're talking about still came out 13 years ago, holds little relevance to players two console generations after the fact even if they are in the correct console ecosystem and (somewhat infamously) doesn't have the one game that Sega has been specifically stingy about releasing and is the only reason anyone gives a shit about this collection that is otherwise ports of old mobile games that are nearly as old.

Did you even know the latter part before you brought it up?

On 4/28/2022 at 11:33 AM, Eurisko said:

Also, If you have the download versions as in ‘Sega Classics’ for 360 you can play S3&K, Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Blue sphere. 

The version that's being delisted, ie. what this thread is about?

Protip: When you say something dumb, and someone goes to the effort of politely explaining why what you said was questionable without even drawing attention to how dumb it was, the correct response is not to double down on the dumb thing.

• Thumbs Up 3