Awoo.

Have any OTHER submissions for SEGA’s mascot contest ever been used?

Scritch the Cat

By now, most of us know Sonic’s origin story.  SEGA invited its employees to send in ideas for new mascots, and a lot got sent.  The hedgehog idea won out, thanks to the utility a hedgehog’s ball form brought to a fast-faced game, while the mustached pajama man was retooled into Dr Eggman.

However, there were other submissions, like a chicken, a bulldog and a Bart Simpson rip-off.  The chicken almost got reused as a member of Sonic’s rock band, but that concept didn’t make it into the final game.

So aside from this, does anyone here know if anything else was done with these rejected mascots, even if it was just a quick reference?

Well, for one, I'm pretty sure Mighty the Armadillo was one of the concepts they were considering, and he's appeared in several titles (and comics) since. As you mentioned, Eggman himself was also one of the concepts, as a pajama-wearing good guy- but it was still clearly the same mustachioed round-shaped man he is today, although not a good guy anymore.

But aside from those two, I am not familiar with any other of the concepts being reused.

11 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

Well, for one, I'm pretty sure Mighty the Armadillo was one of the concepts they were considering

He wasn't.