Awoo.

Mobile Performance Issues

Failinhearts

For the past while, be it on my tablet or on my phone, SSMB and the UI continues to feel more and more sluggish to navigate and post on. Be it text boxes spawning much later than it should, laggy scrolling, slow texting, etc.

My devices aren't even that old, still able to run some modern games. (Tablet is 32-bit while Phone is 64-bit tho). Is it possible that I am missing something to optimize the site experience or am I fresh outta luck and I need better devices?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dreadknux

• Failinhearts

• Teoskaven

That sucks - sorry to hear you're having issues! Would love to try and help fix if it's a widespread issue. Can you send me (maybe DM) some details of the specific devices you're using? The oldest thing I have is an iPhone 7, and just tried browsing the forum and had no issues so I'd like to learn more.

If you can also share some screen recordings of what you're seeing exactly, and what pages/areas of the forum you're accessing (i.e. maybe the topic you're looking at is heavy on the imagery, has a lot of embedded tweets etc), that can really help.

5 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

That sucks - sorry to hear you're having issues! Would love to try and help fix if it's a widespread issue. Can you send me (maybe DM) some details of the specific devices you're using? The oldest thing I have is an iPhone 7, and just tried browsing the forum and had no issues so I'd like to learn more.

If you can also share some screen recordings of what you're seeing exactly, and what pages/areas of the forum you're accessing (i.e. maybe the topic you're looking at is heavy on the imagery, has a lot of embedded tweets etc), that can really help.

Screenshot_20220514-123427_Chrome.jpg

This is one of the issues on my tablet. We have odd loading giving redundant imagery. But in the time between the creation of the topic and the reply, it broke after 5 years of activity. So it's less of an issue anymore, lol.

I can't seem to screen record but here is some images.

As for my phone, it is a Galaxy A32. 

Screenshot_20220516-114534_Chrome.jpg

In DMs, when trying to reply or quote topics it does take quite a while for the text box to emerge. Although that could be because said DM is nearly 800 pages long and image intensive.

Hm, that first one (the tablet) is interesting. Looks like it's trying to display the Mobile navigation bar underneath the desktop one (the styling is all weird as well). That shouldn't be happening. Can you tell me what that tablet device is please? Not entirely sure how I can test it without one myself but I'll give it a shot (I don't like giving anyone a bad experience).

The DMs thing is a little more tricky... if you're responding to an 800(!!) page DM thread and a lot of the messages feature images, that would understandably slow things down. Are you getting a slow experience on any other section of the site? Can you please try things like the forums, calendars, leaderboards, those sorts of areas, see if you're getting similar performance? Also can you try sending and replying to new DM threads (by all means please DM me to try this)?

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

Hm, that first one (the tablet) is interesting. Looks like it's trying to display the Mobile navigation bar underneath the desktop one (the styling is all weird as well). That shouldn't be happening. Can you tell me what that tablet device is please? Not entirely sure how I can test it without one myself but I'll give it a shot (I don't like giving anyone a bad experience).

The DMs thing is a little more tricky... if you're responding to an 800(!!) page DM thread and a lot of the messages feature images, that would understandably slow things down. Are you getting a slow experience on any other section of the site? Can you please try things like the forums, calendars, leaderboards, those sorts of areas, see if you're getting similar performance? Also can you try sending and replying to new DM threads (by all means please DM me to try this)?

The tablet is a Galaxy Tab A.

On the forums, it is a bit clunky on the phone but you are right, not nearly as bad as the DM when I try to access this thread specifically. Will send a DM as a final test.

• 4 months later...

I might as well use this thread instead of making a new one, considering it's connected to its theme. For some reason, on mobile (or at least on Android) if i quote a post or a PM that has the tag of a user in it (like, say, @Dreadknux), i can't delete that tag like i can with plain text if i want to quote only part of the post/PM.

That's really weird. I know quote boxes in general is an issue to edit/remove on mobile... can you DM me some screenshots from your mobile to run me through this step-by-step please? I can then take it to the IPB team as I think it is a forum software issue.