Awoo.

New gameplay footage of Sonic Origins; shows off title screen and menus, gameplay, and mission mode

Sean
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Sonic Origins Video Shows Off Drop Dash, Missions & Other Features [U] at some point.

New info, new topic.

- Remix of "Sonic World" from Sonic Jam as title screen music
- Shows off Drop Dash and Super Sonic in Sonic 1 (the latter was already in the mobile ports but only behind a hidden option menu)
- Knuckles/Tails entering the mobile version's Hidden Palace Zone in Sonic 2
- Some examples of mission mode
- Still no gameplay footage of Sonic 3 and whether or not it uses the MJ music

• Thumbs Up 6

Posted By: SR2

It's from a Korean games expo called PlayX4. They streamed this near the end of last week/weekend. You can find the VOD here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1483498264 

Original source I found it from (they were showing the Klonoa remasters as well) https://klonoa-at-blog.tumblr.com/post/684287438694367232/klonoa-at-blog-on-may-14th-sat-at-10-pm-kst 

So, I'm glad that the drop-dash is in, but like CrownSlayer's Shadow said in a status update, if it's the default option in all games, then it could cause issues for something like Sonic 3. Hoping for ability customization, but I'm not expecting it.

Speaking about the topic of music...will CD have it's 2011 remaster options in tact? Like the soundtrack option? Would be a major blow if it gets removed, same with spindash options.

I don't see any reason to believe that Sonic's ability wouldn't be a menu option judging by past remasters and even Sonic Mania.

• Thumbs Up 4

Eh, true, but I'm wondering is that how that'll be handled. Considering that all games are, presumably, under the same engine (I can only assume due to Story Mode), will there be a max control option? Peelout in 1, 2, and 3K? Insta-Shield outside of Sonic 3?

Tbh I still don't understand why an all-in-one moveset is a thing that was hidden behind cheats in Mania.  Insta-shield has no drawbacks, so having it occur when holding down the button to iniate a drop dash is no issue, and drop dashes only occur when holding down the button, so if you don't want to trigger one, just tap the button to insta-shield.

The only spanner in the works is that Super Peel-Out conflicts with the secret input to make CPU Tails start flying so Sonic can get a lift in Single Player mode... not sure how you'd work around that without introducing a second button.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, JezMM said:

The only spanner in the works is that Super Peel-Out conflicts with the secret input to make CPU Tails start flying so Sonic can get a lift in Single Player mode... not sure how you'd work around that without introducing a second button.

I thought you had to be in the middle of a jump to activate Tails assist in the remakes? That would solve the issue if it isn't. Can't peel out in the air, can ya?

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I thought you had to be in the middle of a jump to activate Tails assist in the remakes? That would solve the issue if it isn't. Can't peel out in the air, can ya?

I mean...

😛

• Way Past Cool 1

That mission mode looks like a solid new addition. I'm looking forward to trying that out. 

Posted By: Swaggless

Minor correction:

Hidden Palace Zone accessed through Mystic Cave Zone WAS in the StealthTax Smart Phone port of Sonic 2, so it's not a new feature.

It's in the inescapable pit which used to just have spikes on the bottom.

v8QjmUE.png

Just saw it pointed out that Sonic uses the wrong sprite in Sonic 1's character select screen. This collection is ruined forever.

11 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

You could do it from the ground as well I'm sure, meaning Tails could get well above you before you jumped into his hands, but your method would work as a backup even though it might sometimes require two jumps from Sonic, which is a little unelegant but not the end of the world.

4 hours ago, Sean said:

v8QjmUE.png

Just saw it pointed out that Sonic uses the wrong sprite in Sonic 1's character select screen. This collection is ruined forever.

It was honestly why I, and a few others, thought that there was a sprite swapping thing in the game, but by this video, that's clearly not the case :( 

I think the icon in the corner of the Sonic selection button indicated some kind of custom controls (ie dropdash or peelout) or a save feature. 

27 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I think the icon in the corner of the Sonic selection button indicated some kind of custom controls (ie dropdash or peelout) or a save feature. 

That's a complete save icon iirc. Said so in the trailer.

Please, add “Wood Zone” in SONIC 2 and the brand new final boss in SONIC CD (at least)!!…

On 5/18/2022 at 8:02 AM, Vlad the Vampire said:

Please, add “Wood Zone” in SONIC 2 and the brand new final boss in SONIC CD (at least)!!…

If it wasn’t in the original Retro Engine releases, assume it won’t be in these versions.

Is it safe to assume or all but certain that Sonic 3 (and S3&K) will not have any of the music Michael Jackson, Brad Buxer et al. worked on creating but the prototype soundtrack in its place? Because that will be a big letdown, especially as I grew up with those tracks!

Posted By: Shard the Angel

On 5/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, Suonike said:

Is it safe to assume or all but certain that Sonic 3 (and S3&K) will not have any of the music Michael Jackson, Brad Buxer et al. worked on creating but the prototype soundtrack in its place? Because that will be a big letdown, especially as I grew up with those tracks!

Yup, this’ll make or break it for a lot of fans

• Absolutely 1