Awoo.

The Manhog is in Rescue Rangers! "HE'S BAAAAAACCCCKKKK!!!"

Badnik Mechanic
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

I can see why Paramount or SEGA would be ok with it. It's parodying a bad idea that they rectified, so it just makes the current direction of the movie franchise look better. And of course, they don't want credit for it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Even assuming they weren't legally correct to use this rendition of Sonic, I can't imagine suing Disney being an easy thing to do. 

• Thumbs Up 4

32 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Even assuming they weren't legally correct to use this rendition of Sonic, I can't imagine suing Disney being an easy thing to do. 

I doubt they'd even want to. It'd be a shit ton of money and they'd probably lose because, well, Disney.

• Thumbs Up 3

The reception to the old manhog design makes me wonder what sort of impact this might have on animation in general.

Might movie adaptations be more cautious about crazy redesigns that deviate heavily from the source material going forward, using "Ugly Sonic" as a cautionary tale?

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

This person is probably reaching here but:

The wahed up celebrity on the con circuit has been a joke for a long time. That certain writer just happens to fit it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even 30 years later Sonic is changing the media industry for better and for worse, lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ugly Sonic being the poster child for hideous soulless focussed tested redesigns made by old businessmen and not actual artists is quite a honor honestly. Sonic wasn’t even the first time this sort of thing happened, far from it, it was just the first time they fixed it and it went over extremely well so now he serves as a warning for future movie producers who wanna pull the same thing on another beloved childrens IP

• Thumbs Up 4

44 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Ugly Sonic being the poster child for hideous soulless focussed tested redesigns made by old businessmen and not actual artists is quite a honor honestly. Sonic wasn’t even the first time this sort of thing happened, far from it, it was just the first time they fixed it and it went over extremely well so now he serves as a warning for future movie producers who wanna pull the same thing on another beloved childrens IP

And wouldn't it figure. Some STILL don't get the message.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bit of an aside here - I know the whole "human teeth" thing became a big meme synonymous with the original movie design and all... but doesn't the subsequent redesign of movie Sonic not pretty much have the same teeth? Sonic's teeth in the actual films don't look a whole lot different from what we see with "Ugly Sonic". I guess "photorealistic" teeth is probably a more accurate term for what they resembled beforehand, but either way, I always thought the cinematic Sonic's choppers still seem pretty close to what humans have than anything else.

movie sonic teeth.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess this is the reason why Sega and Paramount weren't given credit for the model. I think it's best if they weren't credited for the ugly Sonic. Lol. Who want to get credited for something that is disliked by everybody.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

Bit of an aside here - I know the whole "human teeth" thing became a big meme synonymous with the original movie design and all... but doesn't the subsequent redesign of movie Sonic not pretty much have the same teeth? Sonic's teeth in the actual films don't look a whole lot different from what we see with "Ugly Sonic". I guess "photorealistic" teeth is probably a more accurate term for what they resembled beforehand, but either way, I always thought the cinematic Sonic's choppers still seem pretty close to what humans have than anything else.

movie sonic teeth.jpg

yeah lol, never get why that was singled out. The problem wasn't the teeth it was the whole model being too human.

56 minutes ago, Natie said:

yeah lol, never get why that was singled out. The problem wasn't the teeth it was the whole model being too human.

Yeah, a little bemusing to see both Rescue Rangers and some online articles surrounding it referring to the return of the Sonic with the "terrifying" and "horrifying" teeth, when the finished film design never really made a huge change there, dental-wise. As you say, the reception to the finalized movie design goes to show that it was never really about the teeth. But I guess the meme stuck at the time and that's what people remember.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I am actually genuinely surprised by this. Given how changed the Chip n Dale version is from the original Ugly Sonic I thought it was a completely new model. Given they've aged him up drastically and given him more of a defined facial structure. Which was one of my major issues with the original version, that sort of uncanny valley sense of floating facial features.

Chip n Dale Ugly Sonic is a little less uncanny valley to me for the changes, even if the overall design has been made intentionally uglier at the same time.

Seeing Ugly Sonic washed up almost made me feel bad, but.. not really. It's not the fictional character's fault he looked the way he did, it was the executives'.

Goes to show the power of Sonic that the reason most people are talking about a movie from a totally different company is because a scrapped, hideous version of him cameos in it

Edited by Razule
  • Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, Gotta Go Rational said:

movie sonic teeth.jpg

I thought I was the only one who thought this!

Sonic 1 was pretty free from this issue. But for some reason in Sonic 2 the characters' teeth seem more... noticeable? I kept getting subconsciously drawn to them in closeup shots.

I saw a YT comment that mentioned how Sonic in particular looks like he had an overbite, and now I can't unsee it lol.

teef.PNG.a07e3a4f4d206155b7357cdc7a04fe1e.PNG

• Chuckle 1

13 hours ago, Austroid said:

I thought I was the only one who thought this!

Sonic 1 was pretty free from this issue. But for some reason in Sonic 2 the characters' teeth seem more... noticeable? I kept getting subconsciously drawn to them in closeup shots.

I saw a YT comment that mentioned how Sonic in particular looks like he had an overbite, and now I can't unsee it lol.

teef.PNG.a07e3a4f4d206155b7357cdc7a04fe1e.PNG

I see no real issue here. Maybe it was less a problem with the teeth as much as the face attached to it. 

Exactly, despite the memes, and given that current movie Sonic has a very similar set of choppers himself, it's clear in hindsight the issue was never really about the teeth, despite Rescue Rangers going all in on implying it was.

Dorky nitpicking aside though, the idea of that scene in general is a great gag. 😁

14 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

The manhog is getting a Funko pop. 

oh no.

this is just the beginning. I guarantee you we'll be seeing more of him in other things.

If people liked that gremlin Sonic was in this and how he was used, why did everyone spill so much blood at the first trailer in April 2019? Is it so easy now that after a redesign and not one but two successful movies (with a third in the pipeline and a spin off), that people want Ugly Sonic to exist again and stick around as much as any other Sonic?

8 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

If people liked that gremlin Sonic was in this and how he was used, why did everyone spill so much blood at the first trailer in April 2019? Is it so easy now that after a redesign and not one but two successful movies (with a third in the pipeline and a spin off), that people want Ugly Sonic to exist again and stick around as much as any other Sonic?

I think there's a world of difference to like him as a fleeting parody in a comedy film and wanting that design in an actual Sonic movie, the latter of which I'm sure no reasonable human being actually wants.

2 hours ago, ZERO_ninja said:

I think there's a world of difference to like him as a fleeting parody in a comedy film and wanting that design in an actual Sonic movie, the latter of which I'm sure no reasonable human being actually wants.

I certainly wouldn't have.