Awoo.

How do you feel about talking about Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter?

Rabbitearsblog

So, I was seeing some complaints on Twitter about how some Sonic fans were being aggressive with other fans when expressing their opinions on the franchise and how there were some fans that were encouraging fans to be more courteous with other fans when expressing their opinions.  So, I wanted to ask you guys, how do you feel about talking about Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter?

For me personally, I'm not that surprised that there are some discourse on Twitter about Sonic the Hedgehog.  Twitter in general is infamous for starting up drama between users because of their policy regarding just using 100 words or less and it can be a headache talking about anything on Twitter without some drama stirring up.  So, I just tend to stick to forum boards like Sonic Stadium, YouTube and my blogs to talk fully about Sonic the Hedgehog so that way I can get my full thoughts about the series without worrying about shortening my sentences to explain my points.  So, whenever I do talk about Sonic the Hedgehog on Twitter, I either just retweet some posts I really liked or I respond to Sonic fans who are pretty nice.

I do it less and less each day and I find my mental health improving as a result. 

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

I do it less and less each day and I find my mental health improving as a result. 

Same here. I honestly only respond if it's something positive.

I mentioned this in the status update you posted the other day, but I think the culture surrounding social media platforms like Twitter aren’t actually great for being social, ironically enough.

Twitter (and to a lesser degree, Facebook) aren’t great for establishing a respectful field for discussion and community in the same way an actual website and forum can. Those who either shout the loudest or have the most money / brands tend to be the ones whose messages cut through, and even then the character limit doesn’t lend itself well to anything other than a surface-level / meme-based discussion. Everyone with a Twitter account is trying to simply rep their ‘brand’ in some way.

I know it might seem like I’m biased because I have a forum and website, but TSS has a Twitter account too and despite what people seem to think, there really isn’t a ‘community’ out there in the same way as there is here. There are a LOT of Sonic fans out on the platform, sure, but I don’t think a large number of them really know or care who each other are (outside of YouTubers - who only exist to further their own brand anyway so it’s a bit of a strange parasocial relationship going on with those), it’s just an exercise in screaming into the void to hopefully hit someone who will Like your tweet.

There is obviously still value in being on Twitter. It’s a great place to find news as it happens. But in terms of a connected community? It’s not there. Big platform where Sonic the Hedgehog fans exist, but it’s not a community.

• Thumbs Up 8

Its actual fucking garbage that only serves to further these stupid debates. 

On a more detailed note; social media in general isn't really conducive to actual discussion. The short character count combined with the way the site is structured just actively destroys communication skills. Its good for quick and up to date information, but nuance is the last thing you're going to find on there. Unfortunately, since most brands are more privy to social media nowadays, its the easiest way for people to have their voices heard in some fashion in a way forums cannot. 

Its a double-edged sword in the truest sense of the word. Personally speaking, I have no interest in the discussions on there too much and I find it far too mentally taxing to get involved. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The same way I feel about the rest of Twitter: annoying shit that I'm glad to be rid of

4 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I mentioned this in the status update you posted the other day, but I think the culture surrounding social media platforms like Twitter aren’t actually great for being social, ironically enough.

Twitter (and to a lesser degree, Facebook) aren’t great for establishing a respectful field for discussion and community in the same way an actual website and forum can. Those who either shout the loudest or have the most money / brands tend to be the ones whose messages cut through, and even then the character limit doesn’t lend itself well to anything other than a surface-level / meme-based discussion. Everyone with a Twitter account is trying to simply rep their ‘brand’ in some way.

I know it might seem like I’m biased because I have a forum and website, but TSS has a Twitter account too and despite what people seem to think, there really isn’t a ‘community’ out there in the same way as there is here. There are a LOT of Sonic fans out on the platform, sure, but I don’t think a large number of them really know or care who each other are (outside of YouTubers - who only exist to further their own brand anyway so it’s a bit of a strange parasocial relationship going on with those), it’s just an exercise in screaming into the void to hopefully hit someone who will Like your tweet.

There is obviously still value in being on Twitter. It’s a great place to find news as it happens. But in terms of a connected community? It’s not there. Big platform where Sonic the Hedgehog fans exist, but it’s not a community.

That's the sad thing about social media these days.  There's no real communication between people and it just makes things worse rather than better.

About the same as r/sonicTheHedgehog . It's alright to navigate and laugh at some trending jokes for a little while, however, no sooner the memes and the latest sonic related happenings die out, you'll get jaded of it very quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

About the same as r/sonicTheHedgehog . It's alright to navigate and laugh at some trending jokes for a little while, however, no sooner the memes and the latest sonic related happenings die out, you'll get jaded of it very quickly.

Agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

Twitter is not a good platform for talking to others about anything. It's not a forum for actual discussion, it's basically a lavatory wall. 

I have actually started to mute Sonic-related words and accounts because I am that tired of seeing fans' annoying, hyperbolic takes. Frankly, I should drop the platform as a whole-- being connected isn't worth it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Twitter is a great platform for talking to good people. Talk to anyone else at your risk.

2 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

Twitter is a great platform for talking to good people. Talk to anyone else at your risk.

This is what I do.  I just talk to the Sonic fans who are actually reasonable people rather than talk to the ones who cause nothing but drama.

Never used Twitter in my life. Never even used social media in my life other than Facebook which barely even counts since I check it probably about once or twice a year. I missed the Web 2.0 train back in 2004 and I've never felt the need to chase after it. As far as being social on the internet goes, as opposed to merely consuming what others have written and created, I only go as far as discussion forums such as this one and Youtube comments. That's plenty enough.

36 minutes ago, batson said:

Never used Twitter in my life. Never even used social media in my life other than Facebook which barely even counts since I check it probably about once or twice a year. I missed the Web 2.0 train back in 2004 and I've never felt the need to chase after it. As far as being social on the internet goes, as opposed to merely consuming what others have written and created, I only go as far as discussion forums such as this one and Youtube comments. That's plenty enough.

Same here.  I rarely go on Twitter unless I'm retweeting something I liked or just keep updates on my content.

I thank myself every day that I didn't try to make my personal twitter my podcast Twitter. The moderation on that site is nonexistent. I sometimes wonder if I just should delete my personal, it causes me nothing but despair even outside of Sonic discourse.

1 hour ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I thank myself every day that I didn't try to make my personal twitter my podcast Twitter. The moderation on that site is nonexistent. I sometimes wonder if I just should delete my personal, it causes me nothing but despair even outside of Sonic discourse.

I try real hard not to talk about anything personal in my life on Twitter. It's just not worth the drama.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after the drama that's going on with Sonic Frontiers, do you think that Twitter is really the best place to talk about what's going on with Sonic now?

On 5/21/2022 at 12:18 AM, Solly said:

Twitter is not a good platform for talking to others about anything. It's not a forum for actual discussion, it's basically a lavatory wall. 

I have actually started to mute Sonic-related words and accounts because I am that tired of seeing fans' annoying, hyperbolic takes. Frankly, I should drop the platform as a whole-- being connected isn't worth it. 

Well I joined Twitter in 2017 so I've been posting there for 5 years. But there shouldn't be anything wrong about discussing Sonic related stuff on Twitter. As long as everyone is civil and nice to each other.

19 hours ago, Chris31 said:

Well I joined Twitter in 2017 so I've been posting there for 5 years. But there shouldn't be anything wrong about discussing Sonic related stuff on Twitter. As long as everyone is civil and nice to each other.

I don't mind retweeting some Sonic posts, but things just get blown out of proportion when it comes to Twitter and I just tend to stick with Sonic fans on Twitter who don't really cause any drama and are actually being nice to people.

• 4 weeks later...

The more I think about it, the more I think that most of the toxic Sonic fans go on Twitter, while they leave forum boards, making forum boards a better place by default.