Awoo.

Sonic 06 relisted on Xbox marketplace (currently *not* backwards compatible)

Willsy

1 hour ago, Zoomzeta said:

...Yes this is totally be an error. 

Don't think it is, otherwise the price wouldn't be so cheap. Someone (most likely Sega) went out of their way to decrease the price.

4 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

Don't think it is, otherwise the price wouldn't be so cheap. Someone (most likely Sega) went out of their way to decrease the price.

But it just doesn't make sense. 

Katie from the Sonic socials has acknowledged it on Twitter. Not a confirmation of anything either way but if SEGA were in any hurry to pull this down for being a mistake I don't think she'd have drawn any attention to it.

Ultimately the game isn't doing any additional harm at this point. If they can get some additional revenue from folk buying the game for the novelty or for nostalgic purposes, and it was just sitting on the store servers, then there's no reason not to leave it available. Especially if this remains stuck on the 360 but I'd honestly welcome it getting support on the newer consoles. The SSD loading alone would be a nice treat.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, PickleBrows said:

Ultimately the game isn't doing any additional harm at this point. If they can get some additional revenue from folk buying the game for the novelty or for nostalgic purposes, and it was just sitting on the store servers, then there's no reason not to leave it available. Especially if this remains stuck on the 360 but I'd honestly welcome it getting support on the newer consoles. The SSD loading alone would be a nice treat.

Eh, I'm not sure about that.  You'd think this game's reputation would precede it in many cases, but right after an influx of new fans courtesy of the new movie, it could be a mighty buzzkill they'd be better off not getting, and what makes it worse is the possibility that it's been reposted just because someone hopes those newcomers will buy it.  If someone at SEGA views those young newcomers as useful idiots, that's pretty despicable.

40 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

But it just doesn't make sense. 

It makes sense if this is leading to another wave of backwards compatibility. 

06 isn't a good game but it is kind of iconic in its own way and it's a shame that it could be totally lost to history. I can live with never being able to play Sonic and the Secret Rings or Lost World 3DS ever again but I hope 06 will finally find some life on future consoles.

I'd be especially happy with a bare bones remaster. I'd pay 10-20 bucks to have a version of 06 that loads better and is a bit less glitchy.

6 hours ago, pppp said:

I wish they'd make the browser version of the marketplace actually work with making purchases though, the endless buffering bug has been around for at least 3 years.

Not sure what you're referring to. I just made a purchase on the 360 marketplace from my phone via browser and it worked. This was via Chromium.

7 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Not sure what you're referring to. I just made a purchase on the 360 marketplace from my phone via browser and it worked. This was via Chromium.

Yeah but on Edge it doesn't work, DreadKnux apparently can't do it either like he said here earlier.

This could be the start of them being more willing to acknowledge their less well-received games. "Sonic: The Blunder Years Collection" with Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic 06.

18 minutes ago, Razule said:

This could be the start of them being more willing to acknowledge their less well-received games. "Sonic: The Blunder Years Collection" with Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic 06.

Ok, I sincerely think this was not done for that. Did they simply confused it with Sonic the Hedgehog? 

47 minutes ago, pppp said:

Yeah but on Edge it doesn't work, DreadKnux apparently can't do it either like he said here earlier.

I should have clarified. When I said Chromium, I did mean Edge specifically (remember Edge is built from chromium now). So it's rather odd that it's supposedly not working for you, but it suggests at least it's not browser related, but I can't think what else.

Posted By: Shard the Angel

I read “SONIC 2006 MAKES SURPRISE RE-” and got wide eyed and excited for a second thinking a remake/master was in the works >.<

Posted By: Rezapoc

In terms of game preservation this is actually a great thing and will take some pressure off the used market for the game which has seen prices get a bit silly.

An enhanced version using Xbox Backwards Compatibility would do wonders for this game thanks to its many loading times, fingers crossed we get it.

14 hours ago, Razule said:

I'd prefer them to own their mistakes and openly say "yes we messed up here, but it's done and like it or not this is part of Sonic's history" rather than some of the overcorrections we've been witnessing for the past 16 years, that's for sure. Hence why on some level I'm happy it's been relisted. 

And regardless of opinions on Heroes that game does need a rerelease, because the PC port is absolutely busted. 

Clement doesn't seem too happy, lol. Though he brings up a good point about the demo. Guess that's already been wiped off Sega's servers.

So far it seems this isn't actually purchasable, so that makes me think this was an accidental listing. Honestly would seem rather strange to re-list the most negatively received mainline Sonic game, especially after they -just- delisted some of the best- the numbered Classic titles, to make way for Origins. Maybe, just maybe, it might get added to a BC patch on MS'  side soon, but last they said, they were done doing BC waves. Then again, they said that before the last time, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Darkvizardberrytan said:

can you buy it online via website. im looking all over.

You can try... but you have to go on the OLD Xbox Marketplace, not the current xbox.com built-in web store.

US: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507d6?DownloadType=Game

UK: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507d6?DownloadType=Game

I say 'try' because your mileage may vary if you can get it to work. Some people in this topic have managed to buy it from this web store without an Xbox 360. I haven't been able to do it, I get to the payment page and then the little thing keeps spinning for all eternity (to answer @Edward850's question, I was using Safari on iPhone. Doesn't play nice there).

4 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

So far it seems this isn't actually purchasable, so that makes me think this was an accidental listing. Honestly would seem rather strange to re-list the most negatively received mainline Sonic game, especially after they -just- delisted some of the best- the numbered Classic titles, to make way for Origins. Maybe, just maybe, it might get added to a BC patch on MS'  side soon, but last they said, they were done doing BC waves. Then again, they said that before the last time, too.

It is purchasable, I bought it off the 360 storefront just a few days ago. Apparently there's some problems trying to buy it through a browser, however, but that's down to how old the 360 browser marketplace is it seems, especially given how it's split off from the Xbox One/Series X storefronts.

I just don't buy how this can be a mistake. It's not like someone at SEGA or Xbox accidentally flipped a switch and suddenly - there's Sonic 06 back up for all to buy with no changes to it's previous listing. The fact that there's a completely new price tag that's dirt-cheap, and the fact that I've seen some attesting on Reddit that apparently, this is even a new listing, compared to the original (as in - it asks pre-existing owners to repurchase it, and in download lists for past owners, it's now marked as 'unknown'). 

If it was an accidental relisting, it'd be understandable if it was the old one, with the old price. Apparently this isn't unheard of, as a few other games have accidentally gone up before as well - but the fact it's still available, and a price change has occurred, in the exact same week that the original titles were delisted, making it very unlikely that it was an accidental relisting of Sonic 1 or something, I just don't really see it as unintentional, especially when it comes hot off the heels of SEGA stating they wanted to now focus on making the back-library of their games more accessible following Colours: Ultimate.

To me, the most likely answer is Microsoft are gearing up for another backwards compatability patch. It's the only thing that really makes the whole scenario make sense. Especially with the timing of a big Microsoft announcement even happening in a matter of weeks, especially when Sony just initiated their own projects to handle backwards compatibility efforts. 

For better or for worse, BC was one of the big advantages the Xbox really has over PlayStation at this rate, especially with this year being a year with not many major Xbox releases slated. Things were different last year when Sony were steadfast in claiming they weren't gonna investigate backwards compatibility. It meant Microsoft had no competition in that field, and they could release a final huge batch of games and call it a day.

But with Sony now back on that bandwagon, it's now questionable if Microsoft really can afford to let their guard down and let their BC efforts slip, especially on the off-chance Sony actually take it seriously this time and dedicate a fair amount of effort in getting PS1, PS2, and PSP titles onto PS5. Microsoft's own efforts outside of the 360 are woefully small, and even on the 360 front, there's a fair number of fairly large titles still missing. So it just all kind of slots into place that Microsoft would wish to get back into it, to ensure their BC remains competitive with Sony's new efforts, even with Sony just starting out.

On top of that, you also have the Activision deal, to which Activision's games are shockingly one of the most lacking back libraries available. If they're gonna own Activision, it also just makes sense another BC wave will come to bring whatever Xbox and 360 games onto Game Pass they can get. Again, having the entirety of COD alone, every title included - would already give them a fairly big boost in Game Pass titles, then you throw in Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, and whatever other IP that Activision have their mitts on, and it'd be pretty crazy for Microsoft not to attempt another BC wave.

With things as it stands, the most likely answer to me is Microsoft are going with another BC wave, and SEGA are on board with it again, aided by their new initiative involving older titles being made accessible again, and SEGA and/or Xbox accidentally relisted 06 early, ahead of the announcement. Could be wrong, mind you, but this is the only thing I can really think fits in with everything. Hopefully it might mean we'll see stuff like Jet Set Radio Future, and Sonic and SEGA All-Stars moved to BC as well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

You can try... but you have to go on the OLD Xbox Marketplace, not the current xbox.com built-in web store.

US: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507d6?DownloadType=Game

UK: https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802534507d6?DownloadType=Game

I say 'try' because your mileage may vary if you can get it to work. Some people in this topic have managed to buy it from this web store without an Xbox 360. I haven't been able to do it, I get to the payment page and then the little thing keeps spinning for all eternity (to answer @Edward850's question, I was using Safari on iPhone. Doesn't play nice there).

Thanks for the info.

I went through the US store and was able to get it.

Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 16-58-11 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: MRR

Was surprised myself when I heard a few days ago, took multiple attempts (kept saying "Sorry, Something went wrong") but eventually it worked... Just grabbed the best looking Xbox 360 Slim (Matte) and Controller I could find to play it (since it actually has Achievements, and was only $5) plus the bundle had like 10-20 games with it (and grabbed NFS Most Wanted 2005 with it, still the BEST way to play that game)

Hopefully we'll be playing Sonic '06 on our Xbox Series X's next month 🤞 hoping for a "Hey we're doing some more BackCompat and FPS Boost Games" at the Microsoft/Bethesda Event (especially makes sense with the Activision-Blizzard-King purchase, so many great games to bring forward that they'll own at that point 🤷‍♂️)

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It is purchasable, I bought it off the 360 storefront just a few days ago. Apparently there's some problems trying to buy it through a browser, however, but that's down to how old the 360 browser marketplace is it seems, especially given how it's split off from the Xbox One/Series X storefronts.

I just don't buy how this can be a mistake. It's not like someone at SEGA or Xbox accidentally flipped a switch and suddenly - there's Sonic 06 back up for all to buy with no changes to it's previous listing. The fact that there's a completely new price tag that's dirt-cheap, and the fact that I've seen some attesting on Reddit that apparently, this is even a new listing, compared to the original (as in - it asks pre-existing owners to repurchase it, and in download lists for past owners, it's now marked as 'unknown'). 

If it was an accidental relisting, it'd be understandable if it was the old one, with the old price. Apparently this isn't unheard of, as a few other games have accidentally gone up before as well - but the fact it's still available, and a price change has occurred, in the exact same week that the original titles were delisted, making it very unlikely that it was an accidental relisting of Sonic 1 or something, I just don't really see it as unintentional, especially when it comes hot off the heels of SEGA stating they wanted to now focus on making the back-library of their games more accessible following Colours: Ultimate.

To me, the most likely answer is Microsoft are gearing up for another backwards compatability patch. It's the only thing that really makes the whole scenario make sense. Especially with the timing of a big Microsoft announcement even happening in a matter of weeks, especially when Sony just initiated their own projects to handle backwards compatibility efforts. 

For better or for worse, BC was one of the big advantages the Xbox really has over PlayStation at this rate, especially with this year being a year with not many major Xbox releases slated. Things were different last year when Sony were steadfast in claiming they weren't gonna investigate backwards compatibility. It meant Microsoft had no competition in that field, and they could release a final huge batch of games and call it a day.

But with Sony now back on that bandwagon, it's now questionable if Microsoft really can afford to let their guard down and let their BC efforts slip, especially on the off-chance Sony actually take it seriously this time and dedicate a fair amount of effort in getting PS1, PS2, and PSP titles onto PS5. Microsoft's own efforts outside of the 360 are woefully small, and even on the 360 front, there's a fair number of fairly large titles still missing. So it just all kind of slots into place that Microsoft would wish to get back into it, to ensure their BC remains competitive with Sony's new efforts, even with Sony just starting out.

On top of that, you also have the Activision deal, to which Activision's games are shockingly one of the most lacking back libraries available. If they're gonna own Activision, it also just makes sense another BC wave will come to bring whatever Xbox and 360 games onto Game Pass they can get. Again, having the entirety of COD alone, every title included - would already give them a fairly big boost in Game Pass titles, then you throw in Crash, Spyro, Tony Hawk, and whatever other IP that Activision have their mitts on, and it'd be pretty crazy for Microsoft not to attempt another BC wave.

With things as it stands, the most likely answer to me is Microsoft are going with another BC wave, and SEGA are on board with it again, aided by their new initiative involving older titles being made accessible again, and SEGA and/or Xbox accidentally relisted 06 early, ahead of the announcement. Could be wrong, mind you, but this is the only thing I can really think fits in with everything. Hopefully it might mean we'll see stuff like Jet Set Radio Future, and Sonic and SEGA All-Stars moved to BC as well.  

fwiw I was mostly basing my response on comments I saw on reddit about how people weren't able to purchase it; but the thing about the storefronts explains that. I don't know many people who still have/use their 360, I certainly don't have mine. I did, to be fair, acknowledge the possibility that this would be part of a bc update, at the end of my post. You must've missed that considering how much detail you went into to say the same thing I effectively did. lol I will acknowledge I was wrong about the 'not purchasable' and "probably an accident' thing, but man, I can't believe we live in a world where SEGA (even if it is in partnership with MS) would think it's a good idea to re-list 06 shortly after de-listing the Classic Sonic games. Like wow, that's up there in the list of "really bad corporate decision-making", right there with the launch DRM plans MS had for their own console back in the day...

10 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

fwiw I was mostly basing my response on comments I saw on reddit about how people weren't able to purchase it; but the thing about the storefronts explains that. I don't know many people who still have/use their 360, I certainly don't have mine. I did, to be fair, acknowledge the possibility that this would be part of a bc update, at the end of my post. You must've missed that considering how much detail you went into to say the same thing I effectively did. lol I will acknowledge I was wrong about the 'not purchasable' and "probably an accident' thing, but man, I can't believe we live in a world where SEGA (even if it is in partnership with MS) would think it's a good idea to re-list 06 shortly after de-listing the Classic Sonic games. Like wow, that's up there in the list of "really bad corporate decision-making", right there with the launch DRM plans MS had for their own console back in the day...

I still think this is some sort of error and none of you can prove me otherwise.