Awoo.

'Wii 2' specs leaked?

Patticus

I found this over on GRcade, where it in turn was discovered on NeoGAF, so I thought I'd post it here. Just to make it clear, it is pretty unlikely that this is genuine, but it is something I and others would like to see nonetheless - provided it has Wii and GCN backward compatability for the Wind Waker nut inside me.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=37744

This is a nice exclusive we have here at MaxConsole courtesy of Artik from http://www.Logic-sunrise.com on the Wii 2. The actual information is said to have been leaked from an internal source of the marketing Nintendo France Service. Unlucky for them, this kind of information should stay internal, but that's not our philosophy.

- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.

- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.

- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.

- The release will be worldwide and on the same day for all countries.

- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.

Moreover, Nintendo wants to make a worldwide annoucement, only one month before release date. Huge publicity and Viral Marketing will be utilized to create the Buzz. Official pictures are not yet available, and more specs will be released in due course.

Why do we believe it at all ?

* Artik from Logic-Sunrise.com has regularly provided news to MaxConsole and has a lot of 'insider' contacts.

* Nintendo has suggested that it's time they embraced high definition technology for the Wii and Blu-ray has firmly established itself. So a Wii 2 with Blu-ray support does make sense.

I hope this is true, honestly. I want Nintendo to get back in the groove with power specs. If not, then oh well. It's probably an educated guess.

Stuff like this annoys me. Why bother making it at all if they'll just get angry gullible fans somewhere down the line?

It would be nice, I hope it's true, even though it's not. It sounds like just the kind of thing so many people want the Wii to be.

provided it has GCN backward compatability for the Wind Waker nut inside me.

Or the Twilight Princess nut inside me who wants to play the superior version <:

Edited by SuperDarkLink

If this would all be true (and I pray it is), then I guess I'll put aside the Xbox 360 from being my favorite nextgen console. =P

Project: Needlemouse port FTW?

Heck yes, FTW. Needlemouse would be epic to port to this. And this would rise hopes for an HD Epic Mickey.

Also, just as they did with Wii's "NPC (New Play Control)", they should rerelease Wii games in HD 1080P format. Then I think I'll just say that my videogame dreams had been fulfilled. Come on, who wouldn't want SMG in HD? =3

• Thumbs Up 2

The only thing I hope all the companies don't do is switch to the Blu Ray format (cept Sony, duh xD). The problem I see with that is that Sony will just be able to profit off of ALL three consoles. While I have no hate towards Sony, I would hate for them to be profiting off all three consoles for the reason that it might really hurt competition and would almost make me wonder 'why have three consoles when one company in the console race is profiting off everyone?'. Its hard to explain. Instead I'd rather maybe have each company make their own game disk formats that are capable of storing lots of data on it, but isn't blu ray. Somehow I don't think that would happen though.

I guess I'd have to wait and see I guess.

The funny thing is that the biggest red flag is the name. I doubt Nintendo would use anything like Wii2 for either a released console or an internal name.

The funny thing is that the biggest red flag is the name. I doubt Nintendo would use anything like Wii2 for either a released console or an internal name.

It's probably just a name they threw out. I doubt it'll be called Wii 2.

It'll be called THE SUPER WII ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM!!!

No really, they better call it the "Revolution." >=C

"A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2"

That sounds a bit TOO generous... Usually Nintendo likes to suck as much money out of me as possible...

"Moreover, Nintendo wants to make a worldwide annoucement, only one month before release date. Huge publicity and Viral Marketing will be utilized to create the Buzz. Official pictures are not yet available, and more specs will be released in due course."

Sounds like an odd move, but I can kinda see Nintendo doing it. They have been announcing things kind of last minute lately, though never to that extent...

2010 seems kinda early, especially with the current Wii doing so well, but they did release the DSi while regular DSs were still flying off the shelves so who knows...

Edited by Chili Dawg

No really, they better call it the "Revolution." >=C

If they do and it's not a real revolution, it'll be a bigger laughing stock than the Wii.

The only thing I hope all the companies don't do is switch to the Blu Ray format (cept Sony, duh xD). The problem I see with that is that Sony will just be able to profit off of ALL three consoles.

I'm pretty sure Sony get royalties from DVDs too.

I'm pretty sure Sony get royalties from DVDs too.

But I'm sure it wouldn't be as much as Blu Ray would it? I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Sony the only ones allowed to make the blu ray disks + the only brand for them to be sold under? At least with DVDs you have a large amount of companies that are able to produce and sell them.

I honestly think this is bullshit. The biggest red flags are the use of Blu-Ray and the name itself. Nintendo has NEVER used a numbered name for a console, and they won't start now. And Nintendo, using any tech from Sony? Considering their falling out years ago, too? Everything ELSE, though, is practically a given for Nintendo's next-gen console.

Also, Nintendo are ungodly secretive, to see a leak of something as important as this seems ridiculous.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Thumbs Up 1

But I'm sure it wouldn't be as much as Blu Ray would it? I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Sony the only ones allowed to make the blu ray disks + the only brand for them to be sold under? At least with DVDs you have a large amount of companies that are able to produce and sell them.

Well Blu-Rays will probably end up the same way as DVDs, as Sony were the ones to initially push the DVD platform like they're doing now with Blu-Ray.

EDIT: Same to Sniper, Nintendo are currently using DVD, which is Sony tech.

Edited by SuperDarkLink

Well Blu-Rays will probably end up the same way as DVDs, as Sony were the ones to initially push the DVD platform like they're doing now with Blu-Ray.

See, if the do end up going that route I don't think I'd have any issue with it. The problem is I don't know how much money Sony is making off of doing this on their own, and if they'd give up some of that potential money. I guess its hard to say since I don't work there and I don't know the figures they're making heh.

Edit: But isn't DVD also tech from a lot of other companies as well? I didn't know it was developed solely by Sony.

Edited by DesertPunk

If it does exist, it better have backwards compatibility with Wii and Gamecube. I highly doubt this is true, though. The "trade in Wii for a lower price" thing is what made it seem obviously fake. This is Nintendo, guys.

By the way, Wii doesn't use DVDs for games. It uses "Wii Optical Discs", which are their own special kind of DVD. If anything, they'll be making something else like that with their next console as well.

Also...announced one month before release? *Turns into the Scout* Uh, NO.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

EDIT: Same to Sniper, Nintendo are currently using DVD, which is Sony tech.

No, it isn't. Look on Wikipedia, dude. The DVD format was devised by a whole bunch of companies, but even before that, it was Sony and Phillips working together on the MMCD, and there was also the Super Density (SD) disc, supported by Toshiba, Time Warner, Matsushita Electric, Hitachi, Mitsubishi Electric, Pioneer, Thomson, and JVC, before they actually decided to avoid a format war when various computer companies thusly called bullshit and vowed to boycott both formats unless both sides agreed to a single standard. There are a metric ton of companies who helped devise the DVD as it is today. Big difference.

Edited by The Sniper

The Blu Ray thing makes me instantly think it's a fake. Nintendo's always had this obsession with their systems being for games and games only. Hell, the Wii itself doesn't even include music CD funtionality. You can watch youtube videos on the internet channels, but still.

We'll just have to wait and see...

• Thumbs Up 2

Why the heck would Nintendo screw over millions of current Wii owners so soon? It doesn't make sense. The Wii has only been out for three years.

Trading in old Wii's is a hassle for people who actually want to keep theirs and not let go of it so soon.

There's too much unreasoning in this.

Ok, this is sounding like the gameboy now you know how they would always make new revisions of the blasted thing? I hope this is not going to be the case with their consoles now, if they wanted an HD console they should have shelved out the extra money.

I hope this doesn't happen because 2010 is too early for a release and doing this would screw several wii owners who supported and bought the damned thing.

First, lets apply the salt grain:

- The Wii2 system will feature a Blu-Ray drive with a secondary aim of stopping piracy.

- 1080P and lower resolutions will be supported, for blu-ray movies and games.

Nope. Nintendo would have no reason to do this because they have never used licenced media before, having specifically gone out of their way with the Gamecube optical disc so they wouldn't have to pay licencing fees. They were too stingy to even allow the use of MP3s on the DSi or DVDs on the Wii for crying out loud.

- The release date is scheduled for third quarter of 2010.

Way too soon. I could go on about how hardcore gamers would probably tell Nintendo just to fuck off and buy a PS360, but Nintendo doesn't care about that and that argument is overplayed so much these days that what little meaning it originally had is long gone. However, what Nintendo does care about is their huge audience of "casuals," which would not come back after another Wii so soon after the original launched. Also, this is the same system that is still in short supply despite it costing probably 4 times what it costs to make, so it isn't like Nintendo are in much of a hurry to come out with a replacement when the profit margins are so big.

- A scheme will be available in which it is possible to trade in the original Wii for a cheaper price on the new Wii 2.

This is Nintendo. The same company who, in this generation, sold a feature-stripped Nintendo DS for more than the normal DS was at the time. The same company who said point blank that they were not going to include Motion + (read, the item that actually makes the Wii work worth a damn) as a pack in. The same company who threatened to raise the price of the Wii in Britain less than 6 months ago.

Now lets get to the other stuff:

Also, just as they did with Wii's "NPC (New Play Control)", they should rerelease Wii games in HD 1080P format. Then I think I'll just say that my videogame dreams had been fulfilled. Come on, who wouldn't want SMG in HD? =3

The only reason that New Play Control didn't get more flak than it already did was because Nintendo was at least able to pretend that some of the games ported controlled better with the Wiimote (and some actually did, to be fair). Quite frankly, the idea you just presented is terrible.

The only thing I hope all the companies don't do is switch to the Blu Ray format (cept Sony, duh xD). The problem I see with that is that Sony will just be able to profit off of ALL three consoles. While I have no hate towards Sony, I would hate for them to be profiting off all three consoles for the reason that it might really hurt competition and would almost make me wonder 'why have three consoles when one company in the console race is profiting off everyone?'. Its hard to explain. Instead I'd rather maybe have each company make their own game disk formats that are capable of storing lots of data on it, but isn't blu ray. Somehow I don't think that would happen though.

So what you are saying is that you don't want Sony to have the chance to profit off of the idea that they lost billions of dollars as well as this entire console generation trying to get to succeed. BTW, Sony isn't the only one who makes money off of Blu Ray. They were just one of the 9 companies who came up with it, and the only notable thing about Sony in that regard is that they put the most on the line for it to succeed.

There are a metric ton of companies who helped devise the DVD as it is today. Big difference.

Not really. The only difference is that BD was decided by a format war, and DVD wasn't.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

I couldn't help but laugh a bit reading the title and OP.

Seems like a bit of a big jump, no? From a "last-gen" console to one with HD and Blu-Ray support in a matter of four years? As great as that would be, I can't honestly believe its true.

"Wii2" seems a bit odd as well. It could be a placeholder akin to "Revolution", but even that seems like a stretch.