Awoo.

Sonic Movie 3 might release in 2024, Paramount in talks with Hollywood Actor for Sonic’s New Rival

CaptainRobo
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Sonic 3 Movie May Release in 2024, Hollywood Actor Tipped to Play Latest Sonic Rival at some point.

Some new information.:

Source: https://movie-robotnik-positivity.tumblr.com/post/685350833431429120/while-not-as-relevant-i-have-a-few-more-tidbits

• When asked about Amy, and if she could appear in the sequel, the duo couldn’t answer it properly due to a non-disclosure agreement, but said that things are “in the works”.
  • In regards to Jim Carrey possibly retiring from acting, the duo was hopeful to bring him back for the third film, but said that it was mainly up to Carrey.
  • Miller was careful not to comment on specific plotlines for the third film, but concluded it was “not revealing”, given Shadow’s introduction to the movie franchise, that there are plans to incorporate elements from Sonic Adventure 2 and the Shadow the Hedgehog spin-off game in the film.
  • Nothing can be said about Shadow’s voice actor, but the idea of aiming for a famous Hollywood actor to voice the hedgehog was not ruled off.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is currently on what is called the “Blue Sky phase” of scriptwriting, where every idea of what the movie could be is being proposed, and the staff streamlines it into what the movie should be.
  • The producers are aware of the fans’ desire to get Crush 40 to appear in a Sonic film. Even though the movie planning is early, Casey did not rule off the idea of getting the band in the next film.
  • Miller: “In each new Sonic movie, as long as the people got the appetite for them, we’ll keep adding yet another person from the game universe.”
  • The current plan is to get the third movie released in 2024.
Edited by Dreadknux
Corrected with original sources
  • Thumbs Up 4

37 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Shadow the Hedgehog spin-off game in the film.

https://gfycat.com/conventionalsprybillygoat

I am ok with this. Bring it on.

For the rest…that’s all fairly exciting. Not surprised about the Hollywood actor bit, as much as I’d be game for Jason (or David) back. But after going big name for Knuckles, I’m not really surprised. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

• Miller was careful not to comment on specific plotlines for the third film, but concluded it was “not revealing”, given Shadow’s introduction to the movie franchise, that there are plans to incorporate elements from Sonic Adventure 2 and the Shadow the Hedgehog spin-off game in the film.

Oh sheesh. Black Doom is totally gonna be a thing in the film universe isn't he? Sheesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Some new information.:

• When asked about Amy, and if she could appear in the sequel, the duo couldn’t answer it properly due to a non-disclosure agreement, but said that things are “in the works”.
  • In regards to Jim Carrey possibly retiring from acting, the duo was hopeful to bring him back for the third film, but said that it was mainly up to Carrey.
  • Nothing can be said about Shadow’s voice actor, but the idea of aiming for a famous Hollywood actor to voice the hedgehog was not ruled off.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is currently on what is called the “Blue Sky phase” of scriptwriting, where every idea of what the movie could be is being proposed, and the staff streamlines it into what the movie should be.
  • The producers are aware of the fans’ desire to get Crush 40 to appear in a Sonic film. Even though the movie planning is early, Casey did not rule off the idea of getting the band in the next film.
  • Miller: “In each new Sonic movie, as long as the people got the appetite for them, we’ll keep adding yet another person from the game universe.”
  • The current plan is to get the third movie released in 2024.

This is all pretty interesting! I'm honestly not that surprised that they are getting a big name actor for Shadow's voice since it worked so well for Knuckles.  I do wonder who they will cast as Shadow in the third movie.  As for whether or not Crush 40 will make a song for the movie, I hope so.  I really wanted to see Crush 40 make some songs for the movies.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

Oh sheesh. Black Doom is totally gonna be a thing in the film universe isn't he? Sheesh.

Hear me out: Tony Todd as Black Doom

• Thumbs Up 1

Coming back to this…That’s a lot of cool news and info. I’m not super good at fancasting, so I won’t bother there.

- It’s great to see more acknowledgement of characters like Amy being wanted. How and when they’ll do it, idk. I’m sure that’ll be a tough balance when we have Shadow, Sonic, Tails, and likely Knuckles all involved as well. And I’d rather they make sure they can do it right over just shoving her in there.

- I love hearing of the “Blue Sky phase.” That whole “ok, what do we want to see? What might be cool, and what might actually work? What would be a good story?”

- It’ll be curious to see what elements from SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog they draw from. Might we get Shadow’s experimental/alien hybrid-ness early on? If the Eclipse Cannon is there, might we get a sense of what it was initially meant for? Or maybe does the Biolizard get skipped for Black Doom, or some of that temptation for Shadow of which family to choose? There were some neat ideas and lore details that the game gave that the game had, even if some weren’t the best executed (the entire naming scheme of the Black Arms..and Black Doom’s name being a bit on the nose, though that’s par given Dr. Doom in Marvel :P).

it’s a wait-and-see, of course. And they could take a few ways or merge some things (like Labyrinth Zone and…Lost World? Were there elements of that in the Master Emerald temple in 2?). Regardless, the interviews they’ve done have me massively curious.

• Thumbs Up 2

I split this topic out from the other Sonic 3 thread because: new news, new thread.

I also added the correct and original sources for the panel. It can be difficult to find sometimes, but it's always good to know where the information comes from, that way we can know for sure that it's really Pat and Josh saying these things. :) 

Anyway, thanks for letting us know about this, it's become a story on-site:
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2022/05/sonic-3-movie-may-release-in-2024-hollywood-actor-tipped-to-play-latest-sonic-rival/

There's actually a lot of great little tidbits in that Q&A that fans can pick apart, it's good to see Pat and Josh feel free to casually talk about this stuff (obviously we don't want them revealing everything and they naturally can't, but game developers aren't usually this casual with their work. It's refreshing). I think it's likely we will see Amy in some capacity, and that would be great. 

I was half expecting Sonic 3 to largely follow Sonic Adventure 2's plot anyway, but my big question is how the humans/Sonic characters split is going to go for the next movie. I expect Tom and Maddie will still have a role, but Sonic 2 was clearly an instance of them putting more focus on the Sonic heroes and I wonder if we'll see more of that in the sequel.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic 3's somehow gonna be an adaptation of both SA2 and Shadow won't it?

Being honest...I kinda hate that. It's starting to feel like they're just trying to one up themselves by adapting one of the most well known Sonic games and SA2, and it might feel very cluttered.

Oh, shit! Didn't realize talks were this far ahead.

hope it's Robert Pattinson, as his performance of a certain superhero proves he's the right man for the job.

Robert Pattinson Movie GIF by CINEMA CITY

As for Shadow the Hedgehog 05 being used... eh. Could take it or leave it, but they'll have to make Black Doom more interesting than the "hurr sure da universe is my dinner" personality he has in the games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted By: followmyrainbow

As long as Shadow isn’t Chris Pratt, I’m all good.

Also I’d actually prefer Crush 40’s Sonic Boom cover to be in a movie? That would make a really epic final boss battle.

41 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

they'll have to make Black Doom more interesting than the "hurr sure da universe is my dinner" personality he has in the games.

I think that sort of flat angle can work, but I think the main thing is questioning “why would Shadow listen to him?” Him being a sort of..force of nature/consume all villain, purely on that angle, is fine to me. At that point, it’s matter of how Sonic and friends and Shadow respond to it. His ability to communicate and possibly manipulate Shadow, if they keep that connection, and Shadow’s responses to it, can possibly help (And to be fair, also can hurt) a dynamic between him and Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

I was half expecting Sonic 3 to largely follow Sonic Adventure 2's plot anyway, but my big question is how the humans/Sonic characters split is going to go for the next movie. I expect Tom and Maddie will still have a role, but Sonic 2 was clearly an instance of them putting more focus on the Sonic heroes and I wonder if we'll see more of that in the sequel.

I imagine Tom is going to have his own development regarding the incident on the Ark since they made the 50 year date line up with Tom's family living in Green Hill. Instead of that giant infodump we got near the end of SA2.

• Thumbs Up 2

The more I think about it, maybe Black Doom can work if in the hands of better writers. Plus let’s be real, Jim Carrey isn’t getting any younger and since the filmmakers refuse to recast Eggman they’d have to eventually move on to their villains.

• Thumbs Up 3

• The title was changed to Sonic Movie 3 might release in 2024, Paramount in talks with Hollywood Actor for Sonic’s New Rival

Posted By: Sk72o

Black Doom must be their back up villian if they can’t get jim Carrey back

I could see Black Doom being brought to the movies, but maybe the Shadow the Hedgehog elements could be how Shadow will react and how he will carry his revenge on the humans/government; in SA2 he stayed more with Eggman, and most of his plan was executed at the Ark; maybe he can have a bit more of a direct presence with the humans, interact with the GUN commander, or maybe even the president, while still being on Eggman's side.

Also, I'm really hoping Jim Carrey agrees to come back to the third movie, finishing the trilogy would be a great send off if he really do plan to retire.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted By: Shard the Angel

So who is it? You can’t click bait us like that D:

Also – wont be the same without Carrey

If Carrey came back, the Black Arms would probably only get a few references in Sonic 3, and then Shadow would get a spin off like Knuckles to deal with them. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

I imagine Tom is going to have his own development regarding the incident on the Ark since they made the 50 year date line up with Tom's family living in Green Hill. Instead of that giant infodump we got near the end of SA2.

Ooh, yes. Maybe his dad was the man that shot Maria, and protecting Green Hills was his punishment from DC? That would be a brilliant way to explain why Tom never really liked Green Hills to begin with... particularly if he and his Dad lived in SF prior to Maria-gate.

So, I was wondering, what tone do you think that Sonic the Hedgehog 3 will have?  Do you think it will be darker than the first two movies or lighter and more comedic?  I want to say that the third movie will be darker than the first two movies since it will be introducing Shadow the Hedgehog and his appearance in the games did have darker moments than most of the games in the series at that point.

3 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, I was wondering, what tone do you think that Sonic the Hedgehog 3 will have?  Do you think it will be darker than the first two movies or lighter and more comedic?  I want to say that the third movie will be darker than the first two movies since it will be introducing Shadow the Hedgehog and his appearance in the games did have darker moments than most of the games in the series at that point.

Same. Probably mainly dry humor, with deep dives into nightmare territory. Aping The Batman and Dark Knight would probably be too much for Sega, but I could see them and movie crew deciding to aim for something akin to Raimi Spider-Man.

Whose second installment, mind you, features both this:

and this:

Same movie, same director/writer. But wildly different, all while never approaching an R rating. Were I Paramount and Original Film, this is what I'd try to aim for - with a good bit of that classic Indiana Jones globetrotting thrown in for good measure.

So, according to Josh, they will make the Sonic movie franchise as the next Fast and Furious if more people show up to watch more Sonic movies.:

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, according to Josh, they will make the Sonic movie franchise as the next Fast and Furious if more people show up to watch more Sonic movies.:

As long as they keep the quality high and keep the focus on Sonic & pals, why not? Just swap out the heroes to avoid it getting stale... something Vin "FUCK YOU IT'S MY MOVIE NOW" Diesel Universal hasn't quite accomplished with F&F.

Spoiler

Oh, and get the Mission Impossible guys working on a Tails movie as soon as Dead Reckoning: Pt. 2 wraps. Complete with Tom Cruise as the Great Battle Kukku XV, because... well, why not? He's in every other Paramount pic, right? half /s

8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Robert Pattinson is a huge fan of Shadow the Hedgehog

Source? It'd be great if he was, but I don't think that ever actually came up during the Le Vengeance press tour everyone points too.