Awoo.

DAY 1 - Question of the Week 0: How Did You Become A Sonic Fan? [30DOS22]

Dreadknux

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Eurisko was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

I was 6 years old in 1991 and I got the Sonic 1 MegaDrive bundle for Xmas that year and as they say……That was that. He’s been with me ever since.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

Dreadknux

Marcello was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

There wasnt really a becoming a Sonic fan for me. I was born '91 and have an 5 year older brother who was a Sonic fan, so Sonic was a part of my life for as long as I can remember. 

I guess I became more of a fan around Adventure, which was the first Sonic game I beat, and the advent of sprite comics, which I started making along with my own character, which lead me to Sonic fan games and communities. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Dreadknux

Toolstony was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

noticed sonic heroes for the ps2 at a gamestop store and i was like "BLUE I LIKE BLUE , BLUE , OH YEAH , ORANGE I THINK , RED BUT BLUE , YEAH MAN , BLUEEE"

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Dreadknux

NikoS was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

Well, as far as I recall, Sonic 1 was the first game i ever played, it is one of the games that came in my Mega Drive III (which I still have); I was really bad at it, and rarely got past Marble Zone act 3, and never past Spring Yard act 3, still was my favorite game besides the difficulty, I wouldn't call me a fan at the time though; at the time I also watched Sonic SatAM, random episodes, and had two VHS tapes with episodes, It was one of my favorite cartoons.

Same when I got my Playstation 2, I had the Mega Collection +, and loved to play Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, still as bad as playing Sonic 1, still really enjoyed these games besides my lack of hability to play them. (at this point Tails became my favorite character).

Years after, I kinda forgot about the series, until Generations released, and I bought a copy of it, and got hooked on immediately, that sent me into looking back at all the games it represented which I didn't know existed, so I went back, and got to know Heroes, Unleashed, Adventure 2, Adventure, and all the other games (and their amazing OST's); also managed to finish the old games I was really bad at (this process of playing Generations and discovering all the other games tok me about 2 years, I went to play the game and read all I managed to find about it). At this point I was already a fan.

But what cemented and made me a fan for life were the Archie Comics, all the Flynn run, but specially #175 onward, all the way to the last Issue (and Universe too); the characters, the story, all the elements from different media well used together in that functioning world, that made me the fan I am today, and the fan I'll probably still be down the road.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

NegaMix was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

I struggle to remember what exactly got me so interested in Sonic for a while. I recall getting Sonic Heroes on PS2 back when it was new, as well as the Sonic and Knuckles Collection on PC around the same time, and both managed to keep my interest for a little bit. Then when Shadow the Hedgehog released, I must've been begging to get it or something, because I ended up having it (on PS2 again) not long after its release. Around the same time, either me or my brother got the Sonic Gems Collection too, and that became THE Sonic game I'd boot up for a long time.

After that, there was a sizable period where the only Sonic... anything I watched were whatever shows popped up on TV that day (usually AoSTH or Sonic X). I didn't have an Xbox 360 or PS3, so my knowledge of Sonic 06 only extended to whatever demos were shown in stores (thank goodness). And while I did have a DS around that time, I'd never really payed attention to the Rush series (aside from ads for Rush Adventure on TV) and the most I'd played of handheld Sonic was my friend's copy of Advance 3.

Eventually, I got Sonic Unleashed (...on PS2. Again) and that managed to keep my attention for a while. At least, until we FINALLY got an Xbox 360 and I could play the HD version. That was the point, I think, where I became a big fan of Sonic.

By then, I started looking into other games in the series. I played the Rush games, bought the digital games on Xbox, and eventually (thanks to Summer of Sonic) even started reading the Archie comic series too! So... I guess you could say that, while the early 2000s games brought Sonic to my young, uncultured mind's attention, it was Unleashed that cemented my interest in the franchise.

My interest has admittedly waned since then, for a myriad of reasons, but it still holds a place in my heart.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

Blusolyn was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

I remember watching Sonic cartoons when I was a kid. But when I was a teenager my older brother had a Dreamcast and bought Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 and other games. Sonic Adventure is the first Sonic game I played. I played SA1 and loved it. The characters, music, the different areas were cool. So every now and then I play SA1 and SA2. 

Ever since playing those games I wanted to play other Sonic games. I wanted to know more about Sonic and the other characters and started drawing a few of them. Then I bought a few soundtracks and later started reading Archie and IDW comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

• The title was changed to [30 Days of Sonic '22 :: DAY 1] Question of the Week 1: How Did You Become A Sonic Fan?
Dreadknux

Johnny Boy was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

I became a fan back in first grade when I saw some of the older kids with a strategy guide to Sonic Adventure 2 and the first Sonic Advance. Intrigued, I asked my parents to get Sonic Advance for me since I had a GBA and I was hooked ever since.

• Thumbs Up 2

Dreadknux

septimus01 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

First time I played a Sonic game was at the very early 2000s so I've always been more fond on Modern Sonic stuff. I can't remember the exact game that I first played as all my earliest memories of those years feel like a single conglomerated day in my mind but the games I had then were Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, Sonic heroes (PS2) and Sonic Advance 1 & 2 so it must have been one of those. I definitely remember enjoying Adventure DX and Advance 1 & 2 the most so those 3 combined were probably what initially made me a fan.

I also got Riders 1, Advance 3, PS2 Unleashed, Gems Collection and Generations up to 2011 but despite being later on those were still part of my nostalgia days of Sonic memories and a big reason why I still like the series now.

Dreadknux

knuckles20 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

My first introduction to Sonic was reruns of AoSTC on Toon Disney. Soon after I was introduced to the gaming side from playing SA2 on the Gamecube for the first time at a friends house around 2001-2002 and we put so much time in that game with attempting to beat every mission, versus mode, Chao garden and replaying the story mode. And that shared enthusiasm carried over to Heroes, X, Shadow and the first 2 Riders games.

Dreadknux

Multikaris was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

Let’s just say it was a threefold process here; I was a huge Disney VHS watcher when I was wee; and I saw a commercial for Toy Story on Sega Genesis and wanted to play it. My dad brought out a Genesis, and while he didn’t have Toy Story, he sure had Sonic the Hedgehog. I was practically hooked; never figured out how to get past Marble Act 2, but the demo footage and manual were tantalizing enough. Would just be a fond memory… if it weren’t for the Sonic plush at Dennys… then after that renting SA2B. While I disliked the length of the Treasure Hunting stages, the character designs, lore, and music were all intriguing to me. Mega Collection not only having the Genesis games but also introducing me to the Archie Comics sealed the deal; this franchise was kind of a living, breathing world of characters. Futher, Paramount’s Great America sold Sonic plush and had more winnable at their games, and so I started collecting them. I remember having to get an AMY from EBay. 

As for why I stayed after Lost World? It involves a hand-made Blaze plush, a gift I very much cherish even if she’s not accurate.

Dreadknux

BadBehavior was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Day One - Participated in the first day's activity' and 5 points.

I said this story before: the Nostalgia Critic. I saw his review of AoStH+SatAM and got intruiged. From the show I got into the comics & then the games (my first was Generations, which is like someones first episode of a sitcom being a clip show)

• The topic was locked

Thanks for all of your awesome responses and contributions! Your participation will be logged and when our Achievements system is launched later this month, we’ll reward your account! :)