Awoo.

Mega Drive Mini 2 Announced: Will Include Mega CD and Mega Drive Games

TheOcelot

On Friday 3rd June whilst we were getting hyped/losing our shit over the Origins/Frontiers gameplay, SEGA announced a Mega Drive Mini 2 which will release in Japan on 27th October this year. Whether this will be released in Europe/NA has not yet been confirmed.

img-con01-01.jpg

This release will include 50+ games made up of SEGA Mega Drive and SEGA Mega CD titles. The emulation is being handled by M2:

Translation below:

"As announced earlier, the Mega Drive Mini 2 will be released! Of course, M2 is in charge of development this time as well! Includes 50 mega drive and mega CD games + α! It will be released in October, but please look forward to it!"

Games confirmed so far:

Silpheed (CD)
Shining Force CD
Sonic CD
Yumemi Yataka no Monogatari! (Mansion of Hidden Souls, CD)
Popful Mail (CD)
Virtua Racing (MD)
Bonanza Bros. (MD) Shining in the Darkness (MD)
Thunder Force IV (MD)
Magical Taruruuto-kun (MD)
Fantasy Zone (new MD port of the arcade game a la Darius)

ss

Announcement trailer:

The official site: https://sega.jp/mdmini2/

This release of Sonic CD appears to be an emulation of the the original 1993 version and will include the vocals for You Can Do Anything & Cosmic Eternity. Is also rumored to include both the JP & NA soundtracks:

The site also includes some screenshots:

https://sega.jp/mdmini2/soft/sonic-the-hedgehog-cd.html

Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Famitsu article confirms this Mini will include 20 Mega CD games. Twitter thread with English translation.

This looks pretty cool, although would have preferred all games to be Mega/SEGA CD. Will be interesting to see which Mega Drive games they include this time which didn't make the cut for the original Mini. Will definitely pick this up if it gets a UK release.

Which Mega/SEGA CD games would you like to see in this collection?

• The title was changed to Mega Drive Mini 2 Announced: Will Include Mega CD and Mega Drive Games

I really shouldn't want it, but... damn, do I want it!

It's not really even about Sonic CD at this point (although I'd love to have that Mega CD 2 add-on with the fake Sonic CD disc), I just know that - after their last effort with the Mega Drive Mini 1 - M2 is going to do some real deep dives with this. I thought the first MD Mini already had a great selection of titles (including some Mickey Mouse games), so I doubt there will be obvious picks for this one. I do appreciate that they took the time to make a Mega Drive version of the original Fantasy Zone, that's so nerdy!

I can understand why they'd want to focus on the Japanese market first for this, if at all - I imagine the Western market would blink at another MD Mini and wonder what the point of it is. But you know, if they can convince SEGA West to make a localised version of this, it'd be great to see some more niche Mega Drive/CD titles make their way to a US/UK Mega Drive Mini 2.

Also, I absolutely adore that weird wrestling promo video. Can SEGA just use that level of strange marketing on all of their products please? This generation of gaming is really missing any kind of personality, and this is some 'Segata Sanshiro' kind of bizarre nonsense that I just love.

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

Famitsu are doing a live-stream on 24th June (12noon UK time) where they'll reveal the next 10 games and play some:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I'm hyped for Mega Drive 2 Mini and I hope it might come to America and Europe in the future so I can get my hands and play every Sega (including Sonic) game non-stop from Everyday, and I hope that there will be a Sega Saturn Mini.

• 4 weeks later...

It's nice that we're getting a 6-button controller in the west. I'm hoping to see some newly translated Sega CD games but that would be too good to be true I think. Still, I can hope >.<

Looks pretty cool so far, and it's awesome we're getting more of the Genesis library. I do hope we get a healthy amount of Sega CD games as well, it definitely seems like a selling point. Will be keeping an eye out for sure.

Edit: Just saw that it's Amazon exclusive in the US. Into the trashhh it goes

With how out of the park the first Genesis Mini hit things with its selection, the relevance of this hinges entirely on what Sega CD games they put on it. To wit, the list so far (a kinda shitty port of OutRun, a really shitty port of OutRunners, a technically impressive but shitty port of Virtua Racing, the worst version of a game Sega just rereleased last month) is mediocre at best. Silpheed is fantastic but that's one game, and not one that's even that expensive.

But that can completely change, depending on the effort put at expanding that library on the Sega CD side. There were FMV games on the system that weren't completely shitty (Wirehead, Road Avenger) that could acknowledge that portion of the Sega CD's life without making people suffer. I assume that Ecco and Ecco II's superior Sega CD versions will still be locked forever to that system for some reason, but those would be big wins even with the Genesis versions being on the original; as would any of the other games like that that were similar (Earthworm Jim come to mind). And any of the Working Designs games? Snatcher? People would line up to buy it.

• 4 weeks later...

https://sega.jp/mdmini2/titlelist.html

spacer.png

This is perhaps a bit obsolete nowadays but this is still a very good port. Not even remotely arcade perfect (even if it kicked the shit out of the SNES version) but legitimately better than arcade in so-

spacer.png

Holy shit...

spacer.png

Holy SHIT

I can't wait until the US CD lineup is headlined by Sewer Shark and Wild Woody instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Eu release confirmed, also for Oct 27th.  Full list of games in this trailer (same games as NA version). Eu version available to pre-order in September.

Really hope I manage to get my hands on a Mini 2. There are plenty of games on this list I've never played. I wanna play the CD versions of Ecco I & II so bad. Being able to play the original Mega CD version of Sonic CD & Night Trap is cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Eu release confirmed, also for Oct 27th. 

All I needed to hear! Hopefully it has the same 'Mega Drive II' branding and not Genesis. I'm in for pre-ordering that!

I'm glad that the Japanese version gets 3 of the best Sega CD games ever released and the US release gets Night Trap and actually literally Sewer Shark

Fuck off, Sega.

Even Japan gets Night Trap in its list. Not sure why or how can they enjoy it though considering it was never translated as far as I know.

• 2 weeks later...

It's now available to pre-order in Europe.

https://sega.jp/mdmini2/en/

I initially tried to order one but it said it won't deliver to my address in the UK. So I added a new alternative address to my AmazonUK account (basically the same address but with a few tweaks) and now I've been able to order a Mini 2.

Hell yessssss. I really don't have the money for this (£104!? What) but the alternative is putting it on a gift list and hoping I get it as a Christmas present, at which point it'll definitely sell out if these are being made in smaller quantities than the MDM1... so, yeah. Ordered, haha!

I'm hoping that there'll be some sort of EU version of the Tower of Power II, although I doubt it. I might crack and get the JP version just for something to connect it all to, but getting this right now is financially pushing it for me 😅

It will be nice to play the OG Sonic CD, I know Sonic Origins exists but there's something about playing the original with the potato-quality cutscenes etc etc. I hope beyond God though that they do the right thing and include the JP soundtrack for SCD for the EU MDM2, as I will probably chuck it out the window if they decide to keep the US OST on there.