Awoo.

More Parkour in Sonic games?

Shiny Gems

I know that this topic may have been done before, but still, since this forum is basically renewed since the old one was wiped out, I want to bring this up again.

Now, to give a definition of the art of movement called Parkour. What is Parkour, may you ask? Most of you may know what Parkour is already, but parkour is basically the art of getting to point A to point B in the quickest, most efficient possible while getting around any obstacle you may overcome. For more information on this, here is some more on the subject itself; straight from the otherwise trustworthy site, Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

Now, if I recalled correctly, back on the old forum, when I mentioned Parkour when the old forum was still around and said if they should use some of that in Sonic games, I remember someone saying:

"HELL YEZ! Speed and platforming to the MAX!"

This may not have been what the user may have said back then, but regardless, that is similar to what the user actually said.

Now, regarding the latest canon Sonic game (key word: canon), Sonic Unleashed, the speed was, as I see personally, very well done though I still agree with what others have said before: Needs more platforming.

I think that some emphasis of parkour in the next Sonic game (if done correctly in gameplay and controls) would make an excellent touch to the platforming in the next Sonic game. Though this may not actually be done soon, if at all, parkour may be a good way to add platforming to Sonic's gameplay along with the fast speed from Sonic Unleashed (which I admit, it may have to be toned down some to provide some precision of the parkour based platforming). Plus, many fans seem to want both speed AND platforming in a future Sonic game, and perhaps parkour based platforming would be a great style for Sonic's gameplay to blend in with his speed?

After all, Sonic is athletic and all. Why couldn't he do some parkour?

Well, those are pretty much my thoughts. What do you guys think about this?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max Gene

• Shiny Gems

• Greg the Fancat

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be right up Sonic's alley, really. Have Tails or Knuckles in as optional side characters that can go through the same levels similar to how Sonic 2 and 3 worked and you're golden. You could even have their movesets be differentiated based off their natural talent.

I think it could be a good idea, but only if done properly.

Yeah, and unfortunately, if Sonic Team does know their own record, I don't see them attempting parkour in a Sonic game anytime soon!

How many times can I say Sonic pretty much does a high-speed version of Parkour? He is getting to point A to B at the quickest way possible. Now if you said free running where he would be able to do tricks while platformiing or running then we have something manually. Of course, they could add a few legit wall runs and where it isn't him just using the momentum of a spring. They could make the enviroment more interactive as well. But he pretty much does Parkour.

Edited by turbojet

A faster version of the parkour controls in Mirror's Edge could be nice if pulled off properly. They'd have to find a way to make it work with Sonic's speed, though. That'll require them to either slow Sonic down (his speed in Adventure was probably fast enough, or even in Unleashed for the Wii) or rework the controls.

How many times can I say Sonic pretty much does a high-speed version of Parkour? He is getting to point A to B at the quickest way possible. Now if you said free running where he would be able to do tricks while platformiing or running then we have something manually. Of course, they could add a few legit wall runs and where it isn't him just using the momentum of a spring. They could make the enviroment more interactive as well. But he pretty much does Parkour.

I don't buy it. It's one thing to have the environment pretty much propel you around speedily with no effort, or in some cases to have no choice but to go fast. Parkour involves taking an environment that may or may not be conducive for most to go fast, and finding a way around obstacles at max speed. No, running through a loop or spindashing up a slope doesn't count, nor does jumping into a spring to go really fast.

As for the whole "it would be a good idea if done properly" thing- well, yeah. Can you think of any good idea that would be good even if done IMproperly?

I don't see parkour as something new to be added to the series so much as something it had and has already lost. I think the spirit of the Genesis games is actually really similar to that of parkour. It's got the same sense of treating the environment like a playground and using it to keep moving forward. It's obviously not exact, both due to system limitations and Sonic's own unique, er, spin...on the concept. But if they had stuck more closely to that sort of spirit as the series progressed I think it could've turned into something quite a bit like parkour (and quite a bit better than it is now, too).

My favorite elements in the 3D games have been the bounce attack, the splash jump, the spin-dash into jump over crazy amounts of space, and grinding and other tricking. Seriously awesome stuff. I really want to see the bounce attack again. Not only is it good for gaining height, keeping track of what's below you, and avoiding hits and attacking, it's about the most Sonic move I can think of in the 3D games besides the spin-dash. It's versatility and fun factor make it a must have. But back to parkour.

The splash jump IMO, is the most free-running style (I'm listening to you, Turbojet, because you say it every time this topic appears) because it clears obstacles even when you don't clear the obstacle. The wall kick is pretty nice for moving over and around things as well. Wall running should return, but a player should be able to boost or dash to continue sticking to the wall. It was fun to do in Shadow and other games it appeared in, but it can be taken further.

I like the ideas some have thrown around the forum about a moving rebound from the homing attack, to direct the next attack or to conserve momentum. Interaction with enemies should have some sort of free-running element. One complaint about attacking with the homing attack is the slowdown you get. Parkour is especially about going around things as you move toward them. If Sonic could use some of the sweet moves he's got in the

in game, specifically riding the buzzsaw badniks, I'll be one happy fan. Edited by Badnikz

I'd like to see it in the games, I think the levels in Sonic Unleashed were beautiful, but they were too straight forward. If I could just run on a wall, jump off and land on a small ledge jump across it, grab a poll, catapult in the air and then grab a ledge and grip fall down to the ground and speed off in a Sonic game I'd be hooked.

Of course I have trouble seeing Sonic Team making something like this. If they made it a first person game it could be very fun, but then again Sonic's speed would be a serious flaw.

Someone at SEGA needs to realize that they should make the stunts in the cutscenes possible in gameplay. It gets real annoying when they're doing something more impressive than you.

Now on the platforming issue. I feel that Unleashed's maps weren't long enough. Now, we want Sonic to go as fast as he can (or should) but the least time we should take on a level should be at least 3-5 minutes. Surprisingly.... ST made the maps almost equal size (or at least it felt like it) and so you had the feeling that you were going too fast. To be honest, we were lucky that Werehog slowed things down.

Now... I'm not requesting that they go back to the basics on their platforming though (a few levels from 360 Unleashed had a great deal of platforming) I'd like to see them take platforming to a whole new level. I want them to treat Sonic like Spiderman. After all, Sonic's just as athletic and acrobatic as our wall crawling buddy... Who's to say that he can't run on walls anytime he wants to? Heck, to get to the best stuff in the near heavens he difinitely use that grand speed of his to get to the top.

And another platforming nich? Let's have Sonic slow down for a seconds to experience some fantastic platforming puzzles. Better yet, give us a puzzle similar to "the barrel."

NO. NOT AGAIN.

Barrel? Did someone say barrel?! NO WAY!

Unless, of course, there is an aged hare who was once a pilot who can give you this hint:

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Sorry, just had to say that.

Barrel? Did someone say barrel?! NO WAY!

Unless, of course, there is an aged hare who was once a pilot who can give you this hint:

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Sorry, just had to say that.

BARREL. Get me my flask. We shall toast to the greatest speed block in Sonic history.

*ontopic.*

Yes, parkour..... Platforming..... Thou name is Sonic. Speediest platfromer of all time.

I dunno'.... I'm just rambling on now.

I don't see parkour as something new to be added to the series so much as something it had and has already lost. I think the spirit of the Genesis games is actually really similar to that of parkour. It's got the same sense of treating the environment like a playground and using it to keep moving forward. It's obviously not exact, both due to system limitations and Sonic's own unique, er, spin...on the concept. But if they had stuck more closely to that sort of spirit as the series progressed I think it could've turned into something quite a bit like parkour (and quite a bit better than it is now, too).

He speaks the truth.

So...you want Mirrors Edge but with Sonic?

I think it's a good idea to have more high speed platforming but only if it's done really well. Otherwise it will just suck.

I think it's a good idea... but only if it's done really well. Otherwise it will just suck.

You are talking about every good idea to have ever hit humanity. Unless you know of a good idea executed horribly without sucking?

You are talking about every good idea to have ever hit humanity. Unless you know of a good idea executed horribly without sucking?

lol don't be picky! You know exactly what I meant.

It was a joke, Mirrors Edge was a great idea, but poorly executed. It could have been a great game, however because of it's faults in some areas it becomes simply an ok game.

Edited by Mollfie