Awoo.

What if SEGA decided to not make anymore Sonic the Hedgehog games?

Rabbitearsblog

So, this is just a hypothetical question, but what do you think will happen if SEGA just up and decided to not make anymore Sonic the Hedgehog games?  Like, they will still allow the movies, the TV shows, the merchandising and the comic books to still run, but what if they decided to stop making the games altogether?  Will the franchise take a nosedive, despite the fact that the movies, cartoons and comics are still running or can the franchise still survive without the games?

So he becomes, like, Mickey Mouse?

In the sense that despite being the company's de facto money maker and merch mover, hasn't had a true a real new work in years that wasn't aimed for young children?

8 minutes ago, Slash said:

So he becomes, like, Mickey Mouse?

In the sense that despite being the company's de facto money maker and merch mover, hasn't had a true a real new work in years that wasn't aimed for young children?

You mean like actually making Sonic games that are geared towards everyone?

22 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

It certainly wouldn't be permanent, if that's where you were going with. 

Like, they will eventually bring the games back, even if they at one point told the fans that they weren't making any more games?

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Like, they will eventually bring the games back, even if they at one point told the fans that they weren't making any more games?

More or less.

• Thumbs Up 1

I imagine that the fanbase will be in an uproar if SEGA decided to not make anymore games. Even though Sonic has been thriving in the movies, the comics and the TV shows, he still is a video game mascot, no matter how controversial his games have been.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic is one of the fundamental pillars of SEGA, I don't think they would even dare to reboot the franchise.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:31 AM, SharkSoldier said:

Sonic is one of the fundamental pillars of SEGA, I don't think they would even dare to reboot the franchise.

I don't see them rebooting this franchise at any point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2022 at 23:35, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't see them rebooting this franchise at any point

Yes, what I mean is that all sonic media (Comics, Movies, etc.) is geared towards games, so I think it's hard for the Franchise to go on without them.

But let's say they decide to do that. They would obligatorily have to abolish these damn comic book mandates, as their intention is basically to stop the story from straying from the games and there's no point in keeping them since there will be no more games.

The writers would have to go back to doing something like Fleetway, Archie Sonic (Pre-SGW) or SatAM, because those stories tried to give an origin to Sonic and everything that happens in his world.

Obviously I'm not saying they have to continue or canonize these stories, what I mean is that if they want to reach a young audience they're going to have to do something like that.

Oh and of course, fan games would still exist, so it wouldn't be entirely horrible for gamers.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, SharkSoldier said:

Yes, what I mean is that all sonic media (Comics, Movies, etc.) is geared towards games, so I think it's hard for the Franchise to go on without them.

But let's say they decide to do that. They would obligatorily have to abolish these damn comic book mandates, as their intention is basically to stop the story from straying from the games and there's no point in keeping them since there will be no more games.

The writers would have to go back to doing something like Fleetway, Archie Sonic (Pre-SGW) or SatAM, because those stories tried to give an origin to Sonic and everything that happens in his world.

Obviously I'm not saying they have to continue or canonize these stories, what I mean is that if they want to reach a young audience they're going to have to do something like that.

Oh and of course, fan games would still exist, so it wouldn't be entirely horrible for gamers.

Yeah, I can see fan games rising up if SEGA up and decided to not create Sonic games again.  But then again, Sonic is SEGA's property at the end of the day and they might try to find a way to profit off of the fan games if that becomes a thing for the franchise.

• 2 weeks later...

Sega is part of SEGA Sammy, a pretty big company. I don’t think they would die without Sonic. They make money from many different things. They are are involved in console games, mobile games, PC games, arcade games, toys, animation, resorts. Sonic is important. But he isn’t the only reason SEGA is around. 

Also Sega is a gaming company primarily and make most of their money from Sonic on the games. If go to Wikipedia page for highest grossing media franchises you’ll see Sonic is listed at $7.72 billion. $6 billion of that comes from video games.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, If Frontiers ends up being a failure and dosn't break even over a year or two, I think a reasonable worse-case scenario is that SEGA continues to make other Sonic games... Its just that those games would be spin-offs (Like the racing games) or crossovers and cameos in other games, rather than mainline platform games.

After all, Mario is still a thing despite having only one new mainline game released in the last 5-6 years, and part of that is because he still has the likes of Mario Kart, Paper Mario and even Mario + Rabbits to fall back on.

And that's before we even get into the various movies, comics and TV shows over the years. Sonic games may die one day, but Sonic himself isn't going anywhere, anytime soon!

On 6/15/2022 at 2:31 PM, SharkSoldier said:

They already *sorta* tried with Sonic Boom, and look how that turned out!

2 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Personally, If Frontiers ends up being a failure and dosn't break even over a year or two, I think a reasonable worse-case scenario is that SEGA continues to make other Sonic games... Its just that those games would be spin-offs (Like the racing games) or crossovers and cameos in other games, rather than mainline platform games.

After all, Mario is still a thing despite having only one new mainline game released in the last 5-6 years, and part of that is because he still has the likes of Mario Kart, Paper Mario and even Mario + Rabbits to fall back on.

And that's before we even get into the various movies, comics and TV shows over the years. Sonic games may die one day, but Sonic himself isn't going anywhere, anytime soon!

They already *sorta* tried with Sonic Boom, and look how that turned out!

Sonic 06 was pretty bad, but didn’t stop SEGA from releasing new mainline games. Sonic is their mascot character anyway. Sonic Team will just continue trying. They went from Sonic 06 to Sonic Unleashed to Sonic Colours. So things can get better over time. Giving up doesn’t really solve anything. Millions love Sonic. It’s worth trying.

4 minutes ago, Starnik said:

Sonic 06 was pretty bad, but didn’t stop SEGA from releasing new mainline games. Sonic is their mascot character anyway. Sonic Team will just continue trying. They went from Sonic 06 to Sonic Unleashed to Sonic Colours. So things can get better over time. Giving up doesn’t really solve anything. Millions love Sonic. It’s worth trying.

Like I said, its a worse-case scenario. I doubt it would get that bad, but still.

23 minutes ago, Starnik said:

That's true.  I just hope that Sonic Frontiers can undo the damage that Sonic Forces did, just like how Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors undid the damage from Sonic 06.

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

That's true.  I just hope that Sonic Frontiers can undo the damage that Sonic Forces did, just like how Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Colors undid the damage from Sonic 06.

Sonic can feel unpredictable, but I think frontiers can make up for Forces. So far most people are happy with the game they demoed. Negativity just tends to be louder and easier to remember. I think frontiers will be like Sonic Adventure and define Sonic at least for the next decade or so. 

1 hour ago, Starnik said:

Sonic can feel unpredictable, but I think frontiers can make up for Forces. So far most people are happy with the game they demoed. Negativity just tends to be louder and easier to remember. I think frontiers will be like Sonic Adventure and define Sonic at least for the next decade or so. 

I'm glad there's a bit of faith in Sonic Frontiers.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm glad there's a bit of faith in Sonic Frontiers.

I’m relatively new to this franchise and I’ve liked most of what I’ve tried. I haven’t played the really bad or controversial Sonic games like 06 or Sonic boom, and I haven’t read the Archie comics. I think a lot of the die hard fans have been burnt in the past, and let it stop them from being happy to an extent. But I got into Sonic after I saw the second trailer of the first  movie, and I’ve been pretty happy since. Again, I never played Sonic 06, or any bad games. It’s pretty easy for me to be optimistic. 

21 minutes ago, Starnik said:

I’m relatively new to this franchise and I’ve liked most of what I’ve tried. I haven’t played the really bad or controversial Sonic games like 06 or Sonic boom, and I haven’t read the Archie comics. I think a lot of the die hard fans have been burnt in the past, and let it stop them from being happy to an extent. But I got into Sonic after I saw the second trailer of the first  movie, and I’ve been pretty happy since. Again, I never played Sonic 06, or any bad games. It’s pretty easy for me to be optimistic. 

That's great!  Glad you enjoyed the Sonic movies! I really loved the Sonic movies myself and I can't wait to see the Knuckles series and the third movie soon.  But yeah, not all Sonic games are bad. There's actually a lot of good Sonic games out there.  I highly recommend checking out the classic Sonic games like Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and you should definitely check out the Sonic Adventure titles.  I also recommend Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations.  Those are some pretty good Sonic games.

3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

That's great!  Glad you enjoyed the Sonic movies! I really loved the Sonic movies myself and I can't wait to see the Knuckles series and the third movie soon.  But yeah, not all Sonic games are bad. There's actually a lot of good Sonic games out there.  I highly recommend checking out the classic Sonic games like Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and you should definitely check out the Sonic Adventure titles.  I also recommend Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations.  Those are some pretty good Sonic games.

I’ve played many of them already actually. I’ve played Mobile Sonic 1,2,CD, Sonic Colours, Sonic Origins, Sonic Mania, Sonic forces and the mobile games. So far I the best at Sonic 2, and Sonic Colours. I didn’t get far in Sonic Mania, or Sonic CD. Also I can’t get past the second zone in Sonic 1 unless I play as Tails, XD. But I’ve been enjoying the games, even if I’m just okay at best at most of them. I only got a Nintendo Switch this year, so I’m limited to whatever SEGA games are there. But there are a plenty of Sonic games on the Switch in my opinion. I’m excited for Frontiers since it looks different from any of the other games I’ve played. I think it looks the most like Sonic Adventure. 

14 hours ago, Starnik said:

I’ve played many of them already actually. I’ve played Mobile Sonic 1,2,CD, Sonic Colours, Sonic Origins, Sonic Mania, Sonic forces and the mobile games. So far I the best at Sonic 2, and Sonic Colours. I didn’t get far in Sonic Mania, or Sonic CD. Also I can’t get past the second zone in Sonic 1 unless I play as Tails, XD. But I’ve been enjoying the games, even if I’m just okay at best at most of them. I only got a Nintendo Switch this year, so I’m limited to whatever SEGA games are there. But there are a plenty of Sonic games on the Switch in my opinion. I’m excited for Frontiers since it looks different from any of the other games I’ve played. I think it looks the most like Sonic Adventure. 

I agree!  I'm really excited for the fact that Frontiers looks like it's going to be something completely different from the franchise, so I'm interested to see what they have in store for that game.

• 2 months later...