Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Preview - First Hands-On Impressions || "There's still work to be done"

DaBigJ
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Sonic Frontiers: Skill Trees, Storylines, Linear Levels & More in New Preview at some point.

I'm a bit surprised nobody made a topic yet.

This will be premiering 12 PM EST, just like the last two videos IGN released, and on the same time as the Sonic Central. Pick wisely, fellow members.

There's still work to be done, but at least Sonic Frontiers appears to be on a solid track when it comes to adapting the Blue Blur's unique gameplay style to a brand new open zone.

The quote above is from the video's description. Now, I might be reading into things, but to me this implies a few things.

1. What we've been seeing either wasn't early footage, or was only slightly earlier (the recent screenshots and this thumbnail honestly implies this too.)

2. The game still has a fair amount of technical issues that need to be ironed out.

3. There'll either be crunch, or the game has been pushed back to a later date (I hope it's a delay)

Regardless of my concerns, I hope what we see will end up looking solid.

• Thumbs Up 3

It may also imply that the formula doesn't work, it tries to do something new and it looks solid, but as you said it's likely the game is not finished yet, or maybe even the formula needs to be tweaked. It could be both.

But as a description? It doesn't scream "doom and gloom".

• Thumbs Up 4

I mean, we've got a significant group of people saying that the game's foundation is bad, and whoever wrote the IGN description says "it's on a solid track", which means the foundation (in their opinion) is...not bad. We've already discussed the problems that are clearly visible in the footage so far, and fixing those...would be "work to be done".

You can think Frontiers looks however you like, but there's no reason to take this description as meaning anything more significant than "the technical issues need to be fixed".

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeahhh let’s wait for the video to become available first before dooming and glooming it already based on a description. And that’s coming from someone who’s not exactly loving the look of this game lol.

Anyway, I’m interested to see IGN’s impressions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, preaching gloom and doom based off of that description is foolhardedly jumping the gun.

Given the context of what we know, from the builds apparently progressing forward in time with each one that we've seen, the phrase, "work to be done" isn't some automatic deal breaker in the sense that those who have already condemned the game in their minds may think.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Yeah, preaching gloom and doom based off of that description is foolhardedly jumping the gun.

Given the context of what we know, from the builds apparently progressing forward in time with each one that we've seen, the phrase, "work to be done" isn't some automatic deal breaker in the sense that those who have already condemned the game in their minds may think.

It more or less says the obvious 

IGN guy talking during footage and explaining what’s going on and experiences…that was needed.

• Thumbs Up 5

This video is the best Frontiers video I've seen so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I'm not a fan of the term "bite-sized" used to describe the cyberspace levels, but if there's multiple objectives then maybe they're more open then I thought?

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly. That hands on impressions was very promising sounding to me. 

The worst is just the description of bumpers and stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah this video has done so much more to impress than anything else they've done so far. I don't remember everything from the leaks, were we aware of the timed missions getting from one end of the map to the other? Its not original but its the perfect concept for Sonic in an open map.

I'm wary of how he stated he was constantly running into springs, rails and dash pads though. He tried to make it sound like a positive but that's a red flag to me. Of course we could tell this from the footage but it seemed like extra confirmation that its pervasive evrywhere and not just the very first area.

Still, it left me more optimistic than last week, I can say that much. It'll take a lot more to convince me to buy it though.

• Thumbs Up 5

I mean, we don't know exactly what he played either, but I'm guessing he was suggesting that you're always close to one path or another, not that you aren't able to avoid them.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Zadent said:

IGN guy talking during footage and explaining what’s going on and experiences…that was needed.

100% agree. It genuinely improved my impression of the game significantly. IGN guy did great job providing more context to gameplay and explaining what is actually going on. He also provided really good criticism with which I agreed completely. I am glad that he publicly stated that criticism, because it is very likely that SEGA would address it.

It looks like the game is not that bad, BUT SEGA definitely is messing up the marketing

• Thumbs Up 2

What a weird thing to reference with that boss of all things.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I mean, we don't know exactly what he played either, but I'm guessing he was suggesting that you're always close to one path or another, not that you aren't able to avoid them.

We know what he played was significantly different to what we were shown - there was a tweet floating around where he said the gameplay SEGA cooked up wasn't nearly like what he played, and he'd done a ton of cool of other things.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

What a weird thing to reference with that boss of all things.

It's probably not that.

image.png.f1b0d100af7dea68728a430d1b690421.png

• Thumbs Up 4

We'll see here's the thing, that's also what the glitch name is referencing.

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

It's probably not that.

According to datamines, the island is called Cronus which is titan and god in Greek mythology. They definitely intentionally borrow and reference different mythologies/folklores.

• Thumbs Up 2

As the game is being described, and thinking about that old 4chan leak. This game sounds a lot more like Mario Odyssey than Breath of the Wild. Large open sandboxes, but not THAT large, filled with side rooms with more linear tasks. The new sandbox then opens up after meeting the requirements of collectables to move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, one really important thing in there in terms of Sonic's combat.

First and foremost, Sonic has a parry ability. That is a pretty big deal for a game with a fighting mechanic and is even something the Werehog lacked back in the day. A parry is important because it both adds a higher skill ceiling to combat; and provides an additional way to dispatch with each enemy you encounter.

With just that dome blade robot, we've already seen that you can

1. Remove his shell via spincycle to reveal weakspot

2. Parry blades to reveal weakspot

3. Bait out frisbee attack to reveal weakspot

The more ways you have to fight an enemy, the less time you have to spend waiting around for predictable fight patterns and repetitive functions. With multiple ways to make your own openings, you've inherently cut down on the monotony of these fights and have rewarded creativity. Thats a big win. The parry should work on more of less all the smaller baddies, so this game's fighting system gets a nice leg up off of that alone.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's honestly quite baffling that SEGA didn't think to show this level of combat,  given the builds they chose to show us.

It's something of a relief, but still, worthy of a face desk with how SEGA'S been handling the marketing of Sonic Frontiers. 

• Thumbs Up 3

IGN liked the game, and most of what they showed was a early build, and many features were not shown. What the fuck is wrong with SEGA's marketing team lmao.

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, phobs said:

According to datamines, the island is called Cronus which is titan and god in Greek mythology. They definitely intentionally borrow and reference different mythologies/folklores.

Kronos is also the Titan of time in Greek mythology. It fits with the focus on the Chaos Emerald's origin this game seems like it will have.