Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Preview - First Hands-On Impressions || "There's still work to be done"

DaBigJ
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into Sonic Frontiers: Skill Trees, Storylines, Linear Levels & More in New Preview at some point.

https://imgur.com/EM8y8R5

Phew. Finally found the classic physics. We're all safe now and can rest easy.

WUWIh0k.gif

But yea, it's interesting that parrying is actually in the game despite never being shown off despite being kiiiiinda integral. I don't know why they wouldn't just show that off to show that these enemies aren't just mooks waiting to get slapped up, but whatever. We know now.

I also found it interesting that it actually is possible to go up those "Asura's" now without the use of those dash rings. Sonic magnetizes on them the same way he does on those scripted walls on the towers where I thought it'd only just be for those walls since they look "magnetic" themselves. Makes me wonder if that is a skill tree ability in of itself.

• Thumbs Up 3

45 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The more ways you have to fight an enemy, the less time you have to spend waiting around for predictable fight patterns and repetitive functions.

Except that two of those options involve waiting for an attack, so.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The spin-cycle doesn't, so that's a nice new option.

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Just means we need another 1 or 2 ways to beat it still. (Still waiting on that return to sender option for that one)

Although to be fair, the thing is programmed to go into attack mode the second you are +15 ft away from it anyway lol.

It was also nice to see that hurricane kick absolutely shred the orb cluster enemy.

1092567618_takashiquote.thumb.png.f265cfcf06c118a02417b8dde76ebe0d.png

Ah, so it's less like Breath of the Wild and more like Mario Odyssey with action combat. Gotcha. Just as I thought from the start considering the "multiple islands" and this being the first one.

• Thumbs Up 5

29 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Ah, so it's less like Breath of the Wild and more like Mario Odyssey with action combat.

And I'm all for it, the more similar to Mario Odyssey structure and the less to BotW, the better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of those "multiple islands", have we had official word that there's only four of them since that initial pitch leak? I know I've been using that as evidence that there's probably around 28 cyber levels, but if we're gonna be comparing this to Mario Odyssey, that game had like, fifteen "islands". Obviously these are quite a bit bigger, but the idea of only four biomes + whatever the cyber challenges are like is a little disappointing, even if the game impresses visually.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, StriCNYN3 said:

https://imgur.com/EM8y8R5

Phew. Finally found the classic physics. We're all safe now and can rest easy.

Did the IGN video have new footage after all, where did this come from...?

Yeah, there’s that clip, and then a different color square puzzle in the IGN impressions video that uses the quickstep.

Sounds like a fun time overall. Just wanna see what the story is like and I'll probably ignore any remaining media, holding off a few days after release before buying to make sure it isn't another Sonic 06/Rise of Lyric disaster.

• Thumbs Up 3

Posted By: Greatsong1

Needless to say something fishy is going behind the scenes when Sega and ST decides to use an early build for a game that is supposed to release soon. Hopefully they show the newer build very soon.

Personally, I love the idea of Sonic Frontiers using more an open zoned approach similar to Mario Odyssey. As great as Breath of the Wild was, some of the franchise' core strengths such as dungeons and focused objectives leading up to them were sorely lacking. Ocarina of Time was touted for its incredible world design at its time and yet people still commend the game for its masterful dungeon design which allows players to overcome certain challenges that an open-world experience usually cannot provide. For a platformer, I think Frontiers will benefit from this since it will provide the challenge to players that want it while simultaneously having open zones that lets people "experiment" with Sonic's speed and jump around.

The problem I'm seeing however is basically what IGN said where you are constantly jumping around bumpers and zipping through rails. This was exactly what was shown in their preliminary footage and I wasn't really impressed. Not necessarily because of the automation but because it felt poorly integrated in the overworld. Super Mario games in general provided challenges and platform elements that blended in with the environment. It's even more bizarre given that past Sonic games such as the Adventure games, Heroes, Unleashed, Generations, etc. were capable of incorporating more natural elements in their game design. In comparison, Frontiers felt as though it just plastered a bunch of rails and bumpers throughout the world. It's kind of an eyesore running around at the speed of sound and seeing odd rails and platforms pop in from a distance. It's completely immersion-breaking which is a shame given how gorgeous it is.

Overall, I hope they'll improve upon this when the time comes. The game is gorgeous and there are legitimately good ideas at play here. I think the combat looked too basic and simplistic from the onset but I do like how they are experimenting with giving Sonic abilities that make sense and providing a more dynamic feeling to the combat. On that note, anyone else think it's interesting that they're experimenting with combat when combat has been a feature that they've poorly implemented in past games i.e Black Knight, Unleashed Werehog, and Sonic Boom of all things?

12 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Speaking of those "multiple islands", have we had official word that there's only four of them since that initial pitch leak? I know I've been using that as evidence that there's probably around 28 cyber levels, but if we're gonna be comparing this to Mario Odyssey, that game had like, fifteen "islands". Obviously these are quite a bit bigger, but the idea of only four biomes + whatever the cyber challenges are like is a little disappointing, even if the game impresses visually.

Yep 4 big islands is okay but not so much. I am hoping we get the famous 7 zones within cyberspace stages and they have different assets and not just "Cyberspace Zone". I remember a leak from one of Tails Channel in a video saying there were different traditional zones in cyberspace, so that should hopefully have some variety.

Also the plot premise kinda destroys my theory of 1 friend per island to save, man, I really hope we are getting more than Tails, Amy and Knuckles.

Posted By: Metal

Ohhh, it’s not an open world game, it just has a big hub world. Thank god, that’s really reassuring to hear.

On 6/8/2022 at 6:54 AM, Greatsong1 said:

Needless to say something fishy is going behind the scenes when Sega and ST decides to use an early build for a game that is supposed to release soon. Hopefully they show the newer build very soon.

“Soon” it is not, not in game development terms. There’s still months to basically get cert, and then work on the first patch, which it will absolutely get because Open World…

Not enough time for dramatic changes, but enough to clean up some of the rough edges.