Awoo.

Has SEGA's marketing of their games been terrible lately?

Rabbitearsblog

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I am a bit confused about why they just waited until now to put out the best clips for the game when they could have done that in the very beginning.

Maybe some stuff for the trailer wasn't ready at the time. A lot of games in the actual days shows first a teaser, the beta gameplay and then a proper trailer. Breath of the Wild itself did it. The main problem it's that it is a Sonic game, people will look more the negatives, and if there wasn't a negative they will make.

Likely some partner agreement for that reveal with Nintendo's event.

The NDA for that feature would be lifted at roughly the same time.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:54 PM, ART-DX said:

Maybe some stuff for the trailer wasn't ready at the time. A lot of games in the actual days shows first a teaser, the beta gameplay and then a proper trailer. Breath of the Wild itself did it. The main problem it's that it is a Sonic game, people will look more the negatives, and if there wasn't a negative they will make.

Which is sad because what if this game turned out to be great?  I just hope we don't have another Sonic Unleashed situation where the game was actually good, but it came out after Sonic 06 and got bashed for being a Sonic game.

4 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Which is sad because what if this game turned out to be great?  I just hope we don't have another Sonic Unleashed situation where the game was actually good, but it came out after Sonic 06 and got bashed for being a Sonic game.

Pretty certain it got mostly bashed cause of the Werehog levels. 😑

31 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

Pretty certain it got mostly bashed cause of the Werehog levels. 😑

So, they bashed the entire game because of the Werehog?  To be honest, I'm a bit confused by the whole issue with Sonic Unleashed, although to my understanding, most of the complaints towards the game were towards the werehog segments and it came after Sonic 06.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:13 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

That depends more of the franchise, Zelda did it, Last of Us did it, and both of then were well received. The media decides what you should like.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:53 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, they bashed the entire game because of the Werehog?  To be honest, I'm a bit confused by the whole issue with Sonic Unleashed, although to my understanding, most of the complaints towards the game were towards the werehog segments and it came after Sonic 06.

You didn't know about the IGN review? The game was primally bashed because of the Werehog (even if the Werehog makes a solid plataforming and beat em up) but they also made up a lot of stuff, like saying that the controls are un-responsive and killing themselves in purpose in gameplays. 1:20 if are curious.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:53 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

Well, yeah, since it made up practically the other half of the game. 

Of course you're gonna judge Werehog especially, the levels cover similar length to the day levels, but progress much slower. So they make up more than a majority of the playtime of Unleashed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The marketing has been a little funny so far. But I think people would have reacted strongly to Sonic Frontiers regardless, because it’s Sonic. The game won’t be out until the holidays, so there is still time for more marketing. SEGA was likely concerned about showing too much too early. 

12 hours ago, Starnik said:

The marketing has been a little funny so far. But I think people would have reacted strongly to Sonic Frontiers regardless, because it’s Sonic. The game won’t be out until the holidays, so there is still time for more marketing. SEGA was likely concerned about showing too much too early. 

...And that required them stretching info to a whole month because..?

I’m really not sure what’s going on with their marketing. From an audience perspective it feels like they were maybe told not to push Frontiers too much in June to avoid clashing with promoting/overshadowing Sonic Origins, but no way of knowing if that’s the truth or not.  Iizuka gave off the impression that they actively don’t want people to know too much about Frontiers because he wants people to experience it for themselves firsthand in the game which is….. fine in itself, but you gotta have ‘enough’ of a game left to advertise spoiler-free, right? My mind immediately goes to ‘Kid Icarus: Uprising’ which did a phenomenal job of hiding half of the plot and keeping it as a massive surprise but still managed put out a way more than decent marketing offering and trailers showing a fun and exciting game based on what they could show off spoiler-free.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, caitash said:

I’m really not sure what’s going on with their marketing. From an audience perspective it feels like they were maybe told not to push Frontiers too much in June to avoid clashing with promoting/overshadowing Sonic Origins, but no way of knowing if that’s the truth or not.  Iizuka gave off the impression that they actively don’t want people to know too much about Frontiers because he wants people to experience it for themselves firsthand in the game which is….. fine in itself, but you gotta have ‘enough’ of a game left to advertise spoiler-free, right? My mind immediately goes to ‘Kid Icarus: Uprising’ which did a phenomenal job of hiding half of the plot and keeping it as a massive surprise but still managed put out a way more than decent marketing offering and trailers showing a fun and exciting game based on what they could show off spoiler-free.

That makes total sense. And I kinda of like that, after all, we live in a time that most of the game is showed before the release.

I wonder if their struggle with marketing is party due to the game being different from the previous Sonic games. Maybe it’s harder to market a open world/zone kind of game.