Awoo.

TSS REVIEW: Sonic and the Black Knight

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into TSS REVIEW: Sonic and the Black Knight at some point.

Posted By: Secretchaos

Yeah the review is pretty dead on in my opinion. I’ve played through the game, and have been tortured by the legacy stages temptations during a single rental. Completely agree that the gameplay should’ve been more based on them, but it still wouldn’t have made a good Sonic game.

The 2 second lag is pure hell in its own right, however the game truly feels incredibly slow. Acceleration time is awful, and movement from left to right is plain awful (however I have found that Shadow’s side to side movement can be decent with a certain sword). Also I got a little sick of constant SA2 references. SOOOO many quotes from Sonic, Shadow and Knuckles can be found in SA2.

Music and such can also be recognisable from SA1 and 2, however not so much. The odd quote being thrown in would’ve been alright, but I felt the game was just overkill with them. Making it as familiar to SA2 isn’t going to make the game as good as SA2.

It’s a shame though, with the additional characters, and the single style of gameplay, SatBK could’ve been good if only the swordplay wasn’t so flawed. Or better yet, if the swordplay didn’t exist at all. We didn’t see Sonic using any Arabian weaponry in SatSR, so why did he have to have a sword in Black Knight?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSS Classic Comment Bot

• Dreadknux

Posted By: Krischaos

See this is why I respect you so much man, cheers for the feedback. ;)

Summer of Sonic every year proves we can make it work!

Posted By: Jix Hedgehog

Welp, now that the bad is gone past us, we could use some good news!

Bring on the Sonic Rush 3 announcement ^^

Posted By: Eggman123

I am through with the game after less than 10 hours…. I am not talking about the story, I am talking about the missions! After thinking of all of it, I must now say that the music is not that good, like I thought in the first place. But the VA is still okay for me.

Spoiler

Again, remember, the best attack is doing a homing attack and then waggle. I killed 12 enemies in a row. Ahh and there is also a Sonic medal, with it you hear What I'm Made Of. Oh, if you have all world rings also you get (surprise) a new version of 7 Rings in Hand.

The legacy levels alone would have been boring, I mean only one type of enemy and NO shortcut.

And finally: EGGMAN WHERE ARE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

Let's just easily wait for Sonic Rush 3, probably coming out end of this year (=

Posted By: Sam

“We have a strict ‘no voice acting complaints’ policy, but I don’t like the voice acting in this game so it doesn’t count”… Nice.

“The train wrecks that Crash Bandicoot and Banjo-Kazooie are in”? Are you KIDDING me? They’re in a FAR better shape than Sonic has been in a decade, and their creativity has paid off in review scores, fan reception and sales. I don’t think you even played those games.

Posted By: GREG THE CAT

You see, my main problem here with the gameplay is that this is on-rails… This worked for Secret Rings, but the engine should not be rehashed (or at least, I think so.)

It kinda’ breaks up the feeling that you’re actually playing the game, and a more 3D-esque Prince of Persia-ish gameplay style would’ve worked a heck lot better. You got exploration, fun complex battles, and well…. Not so hair ripping missions. Have you tried the “Defeat As Many Enemies As You Can” missions? Freaking pitiful…. I thought they said the missions were going to be easier…. (Well, it’s no Dinosaur egg…. Why the heck would they have dinos in Secret Rings anyway?)

I’m not understanding your hate on the music here, though….. It was pretty authentic and “Through the Fire” is a great song. I also can’t help but sing “With Me” (You know… the final boss song?) But you know what….. Music is opinion based really…..

Despite the flaws, this game is pretty decent though. It may not be Sonic Unleashed, but hey…. It’s something…. right?

Oh, and Sonic ’06? I understand that Black Knight wasn’t what we were expecting (get rid of that on-rails crap, already!!!!) but to be called lower than ’06?

Posted By: Jackskellinghog

Storybook Game. I enjoyed it. Expected these flaws. Done. *Dusts off hands*

Posted By: prince10bee

My review:

Presentation: Thumbs up! Looks beautiful! :) 

Sound: The menu music makes me question Sonic’s gender, but I actually love “Knight of the Wind” I think its top-notch! :) Thumbs up! Some of the other songs are good too.

Gameplay: Ctrl. Stick: Comparing it to Unleashed, It’s nice and smooth when your running along (I found Unleashed twitchy – took me forever to pass some of the harder ring-collection maps), but when you have to do something “off” it’s pretty bad (the camera angles make it even worse). Sword: I was really expecting the remote movements to actually determine how you swing the sword in game.

Rate: Neutral

Longevity: Failure. The game (in whole) really needs to be longer and plus you are constantly battling bosses which is stupid.

FINAL WORDS:

LOVE: MUSIC, CUTSCENES, CTRL STICK IS OKAY

HATE: GODDAMN I WANT TO PLAY AS TAILS! LOL. Sega doesn’t let him kick as much ass as he should, MENU MUSIC, CTRL STICK IS OKAY, IDENTIFICATION, THERES NO RINGS!?!!? WHAT THE F*CK!!?!?

The game is worth renting, let’s put it that way.

Posted By: Superfield

BIG HINT WITH BOSS QTE’S: Shake the Wiimote once and only once when the icon appears!

You nailed pretty much everything, just two things that turned me off:

WHY THE CRAP DID SILVER NOT GET IN THE ADVENTURE MODE!?!? He would’ve been awesome…

I hate, hate, HATE the cutscene after you beat Percival. (I’m a big Silvaze fan, and Sonaze can go die in a hole)

• The topic was locked