Awoo.

There's a playable demo of Frontiers at Summer Game Fest (Level SPOILERS ahead)

Badnik Mechanic

So there's an actual physical venue for this Summer Game Fest thing... and Frontiers does indeed have a presence there.

What could it be? Well... It does indeed appear to be a playable demo!

There's a video showing the game floor here where those 2 pics are from, but it doesn't show anything other than the title screen. But it does seem to indicate that there will be some hands on previews in the next day or two.

• Thumbs Up 6

I know this won't happen, but I'd really like it if they made the demo public sometime in the future, so we can get a good feel for the game

• Thumbs Up 1

Time to hear what other people have to say about the game. Super interested to see if there’s a general consensus that it’s good, or if there’ll be some mixed thoughts on it 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Time to hear what other people have to say about the game. Super interested to see if there’s a general consensus that it’s good, or if there’ll be some mixed thoughts on it 

I hope this demo has the first cutscenes

I read somewhere on these message boards that a trailer should be coming soon since the public demo is at Summer Games Fest. What do you all think of this possibility?

• Thumbs Up 1

if not a trailer, i think there will be a few other publications' own hands-on videos or screenshots!!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

if not a trailer, i think there will be a few other publications' own hands-on videos or screenshots!!

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. In the video Badnik linked, the security (or someone) told the person recording to stop. While we might get impressions, there's a high likely hood we won't get footage or screenshots, which is unfortunate.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok, that makes sense.  we would be hoping for a direct feed from the video anyway and maybe for now only IGN has been given access to that??  Otherwise maybe there will be something like that from other publications but not just yet!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not pessimistic here, but maybe there is no video recording where the Sonic Frontiers booth is at because Sega did not want anyone recording footage for this game, so they had to respect their wishes and make it so other games can't be recorded as well. *Insert trollface here*

It looks like people who play Frontiers' demo are under NDA and the impressions of the demo are going to be public at a later date. Don't expect hands on impressions today.

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess we shouldn't have doubted Geoff after all. If I had known there would demos at the event--well frankly I didn't even realize SGF was going to be a physical event at all, but I digress--I would have figured this is what he meant about Sonic being at SGF, lol.

• Thumbs Up 6

I guess the IGN exclusive deal is making it so others cant record footage or post impressions

• Thumbs Up 2

APPARENTLY the "cyberspace" levels just reuse fricking Generations assets and do nothing unique on their own?

3 hours ago, PSI Wind said:

I guess the IGN exclusive deal is making it so others cant record footage or post impressions

That sort of makes sense but do we have word on if even IGN is allowed to record footage of this demo?

33 minutes ago, SolidSonicTH said:

APPARENTLY the "cyberspace" levels just reuse fricking Generations assets and do nothing unique on their own?

How do you know this?

Yeah the camera is washing it out a bit, but it looks a lot like Modern Sky Sanctuary.

5 hours ago, Celestia said:

That sort of makes sense but do we have word on if even IGN is allowed to record footage of this demo?

Well, iirc the guy writing for the month did record his own footage when they let him play for 4 hours but he could not use 

If the cyberspace stages were nostalgia levels, re-using assets from Generations and Forces to ease the workload and provide variety, I'd be okay with that, definitely better than them all looking like Game Land or BotW Shrines, but they'd HAVE to have just as many "new" nostalgia locations to balance out the ones we've seen and done before.  Like, sure fine, send us through Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary and Death Egg again if you must, but there better be 4 new remakes to balance them out etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah if its more like Mania where its a mix of old and new in that regard, that would be fine

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, SolidSonicTH said:

Some dude named "Zippo" who is apparently a terrible rumor mill but this one seems to have some validity.

Here's a clip that looks a lot like modern Sky Sanctuary: https://mobile.twitter.com/the_marmolade/status/1535420154473074688

has zippo ever been right about anything that wasn't already publicly known beforehand?

also if it really is Sky Sanctuary then i'm guessing there's also the possibility that it's somehow related to the story since Frontiers Prologue suggests that Angel Island is involved

• Thumbs Up 2

Why can't they show us this SGF demo instead? I want to see this one, not the very early builds.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, reused assets aren’t really anything new.

If the entire level design was basically ripped from Generations then that would be a less inspired choice of course (although I personally would still be happy to have them available to me in this manner).

Something I’m more keen to find out more about is the Open Zone islands. They say the singular levels are set in Cyberspace… but it seems to me that the entire game is designed as a product of Sonic being trapped in Cyberspace. With that in mind, if there are more open zone islands to explore - who’s to say that the islands will stick with only the realism style but have slightly different themes?

It would be far more interesting if the art design changed between subsequent islands, so we have areas that look more retro, generations or Lost World inspired (Think how Mario Odyssey handled the concept).

That would really put this game on the map for me.