Awoo.

There's a playable demo of Frontiers at Summer Game Fest (Level SPOILERS ahead)

Badnik Mechanic

I know I want this game to have both old elements and brand new ones, the Starfall Islands are the big new thing, and I love that this doesn't look like a complete different game featuring Sonic, I don't want a completely different game, I want a good Modern Sonic game first, this looks like it could be it, so I'm content.

You know, it's not even that bad if the cyberspace uses old zones, I just find it very sad here, if this game which looks so ambitious and high budget reuses assets, you know we are never getting a 100% fully new game, anymore 😕 

For the record, Forces had 4 new zones and 3 old zones but twisted, the zone variety was good especially because each zone had more than 1 trope going on, I dare say it had more variety than Gens' stages on paper. The issue was Green Hill and Chemical Plant were there AGAIN after Generations and Mania.

If that screenshot is really modern Sky Sanctuary, I will be kinda bummed out.

After many games telling me how good Sonic's past was, I'd prefer having totally new levels. As much as I love Generations and Mania, I'm starting to get tired of seeing stages from past games and hope we can go back to the time when nostalgia was reserved to a small detail, easter egg or unlockable.

2 hours ago, Son-icka said:

I mean, reused assets aren’t really anything new.

For games that are 11 years apart it's a little strange. I'm not convinced it's Sky Sanctuary yet but I'd be pretty put-off if it was.

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

For games that are 11 years apart it's a little strange. I'm not convinced it's Sky Sanctuary yet but I'd be pretty put-off if it was.

Whether or not reused assets is acceptable or not really comes down to context. The metal bridge in Frontiers reusing textures from Forces' Death Egg is, to me at least, perfectly acceptable. 

But more to the point here, the blurry footage does look quite a lot like Generations Sky Sanctuary. It's impossible to say for sure right now though, so I won't jump to any conclusions. If it is Sky Sanctuary, holy fuck just how tonedeaf is SEGA? 

EDIT: And because I forgot to mention it originally, it would also look incredibly lazy. I don't care if its actually a case of lazy developers or not, the point is that it would look lazy. As pointed out, Generations will be 11 years old when Frontiers releases. And it was already questionable when Forces recycled a lot of assets from Generations and Lost World. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Doesn't look like Sky Sanctuary to me, but I can see why some people would come to that conclusions.

Even so, if it is I would welcome Sky Sanctuary if it meant ducking Chemical Plant and GHZ again. The cyberspace levels can make their own narrative reasons for re-visiting whatever they want, so I could live with a few older locals coming back. I would obviously prefer stages we haven't seen since their original showing, but it's all good if they can break away from the usual suspects. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The only way I'm going to be 100% fine with reusing classic stages is if we get never-before-used Classic zones in the process. I don't have faith in the current boost formula for simple gens reuse to be substantial or in favor of the game itself, let alone reach the level that Mania is known for reusing past zones. But at the same time, if the number of rumored stages are 28, then that is a lot of room to shove new callbacks to zones into the game. It'd even work well as a bite-sized Gens sequel with that amount alone.

It's just from the angle of asset reuse and precedent alone, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence here.

• Thumbs Up 3

i'm just wondering when are we going to be allowed to actually see this gameplay footage properly instead of these blurry off screen photos where you can't really make out what any of it is

Looking at the twitter footage, that indeed does look a lot like sky sanctuary but if you focus on the top near right handed part of the screen where you see the backdrop, you can see what looks like a mountain and an ocean in the background. Makes me think that while there may be reused assets, the backdrop might shake things up a bit. Perhaps it's a sunken sky sanctuary? Chemical plant zone in forces did this same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The title was changed to There's a playable demo of Frontiers at Summer Game Fest (Level SPOILERS ahead)

At least we're not seeing any more 2D in these cyberspace levels. I can tolerate a few of the linear side-step-to-win areas seen in the boost games as long as there is no more 2D in a 3D game.

What's interesting is that they're showing off what looks like two different cyberspace levels instead of just one for their demo. One that looks like your standard "hill" level, and one that makes me immediately think of Sky Sanctuary, although I'm starting to doubt myself on that one the more I look at it. I'm wondering just how big the demo they're displaying is, or how short these cyberspace levels are that they can shoehorn multiple of them in a single demo along with the main islands.

Honestly guys even if this game has problems, the idea of a FULLY 3D Sonic game that doesn't suck and has a boatload of content is actually getting me excited. Reusing assets has never been a problem to me, I could care less. Just please make the levels good. I'll play Green Hill over and over again if the level design and controls are good. 

I'm a little skeptical of the leak that said there'd be probably 28 cyberspace levels. The same leak also said that there would be four Super Sonic bosses in the game, one for each of the four islands, and that the final boss was fucking Void from Sonic Shuffle. None of this sounds like something Sega would do. Sonic Forces alone has roughly 30 levels anyway, replacing bosses with the bonus levels. I know Forces is a short game, but still. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually it looks different compared to Green Hill. Reminds me more of Wood Zone

• Thumbs Up 1

Going to lock this thread. Please redirect conversation regarding level spoilers in the pinned leaks thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

• The topic was locked