Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

4 minutes ago, azoo said:

Regardless on my stance with a spindash move making it into Frontiers (imo never happening until I see it with my own eyes), I do hope you know this was the main point of contention against the move in either of those games. lmao

I'm just saying the spin dash isn't impossible to be in Frontiers, even if the game doesn't have momentum-based physics. I'm not saying this is a good or a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly expecting at least a Rise of Lyric style spindash for combat. 

Even if they've decided the boost negates any need for a spindash for traversal it's about as basic a Sonic attack as you can get. I'll be very surprised if it's not represented in some form.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah the hud definitely seems different between overworld and cyberspace. Near as I can tell, in the overworld there's the speedometer and stats in the bottom corners, one line of information and 3 icons(?) vertically underneath it in the top left, and a compass top center. In cyberspace the bottom corners are empty, the top left has two rows of information, and there's something top center that I don't think is the compass.

Gotchu, so it's not just early in the morning for me then, huh? 

Yea, you'd think something like a speedometer and an attack / mobility hud would be always present and not just fade out, right? The clips certainly didn't look "cinematic" where such a thing could happen, also.

I'm just very curious. Is the ability to fist fight these enemies taken away from you and is your speed non upgradable once on these more traditional made zones? I guess only time will tell about that for sure, tho.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

That's a.... Chaos Emerald!?

But well indeed. Good old Chaozu Emeraldu hunting. Not gonna lie: I actually missed them from the last games. Wonder if we can go Super in the open world. Now that would actually be kinda sick.

I think I heard a rumor somewhere that Super Sonic would be used multiple times through the story. 

Special mention goes to a leak that

Spoiler

suggested that Sonic gets a form that looks ultra instinct.

Which could be Hyper Sonic's 

return too.

Nice to see some positive impressions.

If the spin-dash is in Frontiers I'd like to see the drop-dash included as well. Hopefully they could make it work well in an open-world environment.

• Thumbs Up 3

"There were no non-playable characters in the demo" is a weird way to put that. To then say after that Amy will give the player a reward in exchange for the collectibles is even stranger. What does that even mean? Does that mean Amy somehow gives you rewards without physically being there? Like as a ghost?

Kinda a bit surprised there’s still a lot of pushback to the notion this is sky sanctuary (or heavily pulling assets from it) I’m still seeing the idea this is a city 

The red grind rails and see through ground as I recall, have only ever been used together in Gens SS. Like it might not be, but idk, this plus the leaks iirc make a pretty compelling case about at least a few of these levels being recreations of previous levels 

This is just an observation I wanted point out about the HUD based on the information we've seen thus far, I think I have an idea it works specifically the "weapon wheel"  on the bottom left which very common in a lot of character action games (think DMC). Apologies if this has already been pointed out. I think, keyword think how it works is that depending on what's highlight on the d-pad will determine the 'state' Sonic will enter based on what's highlighted. For example Speed Shoes on the left represent general mobility (i.e the boost), shield & sword are self explanatory, and finally Cyloop on top. I believe this to be case because it was mention in the IGN hands-on preview how the bumpers (back triggers) allow Sonic to preform dodges and hitting both triggers a parry when timed just right, another preview from IGNJapan mentions how R2 triggers the boost. Based off that information think it's safe to assume each of the buttons are context sensitive based what's highlighted from the wheel.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact Sega is keeping people from showing this off proper is sad imo. They are fighting tooth and nail and making fans dig and pick at any blurry pic just for some news and looks at the game

Capcom with SF6: Here is our new game, record 4k footage, play around with different features and feel free to talk about it, yes it will be cross play and have rollback. Leaving many Fighting game fans happy.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Shiguy said:

This is just an observation I wanted point out about the HUD based on the information we've seen thus far, I think I have an idea it works specifically the "weapon wheel"  on the bottom left which very common in a lot of character action games (think DMC). Apologies if this has already been pointed out. I think, keyword think how it works is that depending on what's highlight on the d-pad will determine the 'state' Sonic will enter based on what's highlighted.

It doesn't look like any of them are highlighted at any point we've seen. Also having to manually switch between attack mode and defend mode in the middle of a fight would be completely awful.

5 minutes ago, Shiguy said:

I believe this to be case because it was mention in the IGN hands-on preview how the bumpers (back triggers) allow Sonic to preform dodges and hitting both triggers a parry when timed just right, another preview from IGNJapan mentions how R2 triggers the boost. Based off that information think it's safe to assume each of the buttons are context sensitive based what's highlighted from the wheel.

L1 or R1 to dodge, L1+R1 to parry, R2 to boost. No reason there to assume you're switching button functions.

So that Reddit AMA with the person that played frontiers…so this point they mentioned when asked how they think the reception will be is interesting 

I think the people who go in and take it fresh without hyperfocusing will love the game. 

I think the people who are complaining and ranting now will always find reasons to complain rant and say it's the worst game ever.

I will say that I tried to ask every person who walked away from the table if they liked it and every single one said it felt good except for two who said it was "a f****** piece of cr**." And "a total let down." People who were watching the gameplay seemed to react more negatively but I think they were just mad they couldnt play

It really is sounding like this game will be polarizing if you’ve so far been on the more optimistic or pessimistic side 

13 minutes ago, KHCast said:

It really is sounding like this game will be polarizing if you’ve so far been on the more optimistic or pessimistic side 

A polarizing Sonic game? Naaaahhh.

Not surprising given the large amount of expectations in this fanbase; to keep it simple. 

If you like Boost, you're likely gonna enjoy this game given it works off of the framework of that. If you wanted a completely new system that better utilizes Sonic's core movement options or even just something closer to Sonic Adventure...well, you're SOL. 

Looking at it like that, its makes sense why the reactions are so divisive. Its not really any different to any other previous 3D Sonic game in that regard. 

10 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Leveling up.

It most likely means leveling up.

3 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

We have reactions from IGN Japan. 

Bing bong.

So that's pretty interesting, you have to level up Sonic's speed as you play. Really leaning in on the leveling up elements huh?

30 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Not surprising given the large amount of expectations in this fanbase; to keep it simple. 

If you like Boost, you're likely gonna enjoy this game given it works off of the framework of that. If you wanted a completely new system that better utilizes Sonic's core movement options or even just something closer to Sonic Adventure...well, you're SOL. 

Looking at it like that, its makes sense why the reactions are so divisive. Its not really any different to any other previous 3D Sonic game in that regard. 

While that is true to a point, the fact that this was heavily promoted as something new to the series makes its backlash very warranted in my opinion.

Also, Boost gameplay doesn’t necessarily suck as its own thing, but the problem we’ve seen from the game so far is that you only get it in little sections that are rather detached from the vast, organic terrain; sometimes literally.  I’m pretty sure this is because boost is an unwieldy form of movement if it isn’t constrained to a path via various devices.  Also Sonic, based on what we’ve seen, can’t wheelie off of terrain to get some air; if you want him airborn you’ll likely have to use a few of those gizmos scattered around.

If those limits were a constant we had to accept, then all of that organic terrain is a waste of time and space.  They’d have been better off making this another Unleashed; the part of the game you move about freely but unremarkably should have been smaller and basically the level select screen, while more resources were allocated to make more/longer/better stages of the sort that fit boost.

8 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

While that is true to a point, the fact that this was heavily promoted as something new to the series makes its backlash very warranted in my opinion.

Sega is not responsible for the reactions of a bunch of disgruntled Sonic fans on the Internet. If you choose to go online and act like an idiot because of a cartoon blue hedgehog, that's on you, not Sega. 

8 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Also, Boost gameplay doesn’t necessarily suck as its own thing, but the problem we’ve seen from the game so far is that you only get it in little sections that are rather detached from the vast, organic terrain; sometimes literally.  I’m pretty sure this is because boost is an unwieldy form of movement if it isn’t constrained to a path via various devices.  Also Sonic, based on what we’ve seen, can’t wheelie off of terrain to get some air; if you want him airborn you’ll likely have to use a few of those gizmos scattered around.

If those limits were a constant we had to accept, then all of that organic terrain is a waste of time and space.  They’d have been better off making this another Unleashed; the part of the game you move about freely but unremarkably should have been smaller and basically the level select screen, while more resources were allocated to make more/longer/better stages of the sort that fit boost.

Hence; people wanted an overhaul of the system as opposed to another 3D game. 

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It doesn't look like any of them are highlighted at any point we've seen. Also having to manually switch between attack mode and defend mode in the middle of a fight would be completely awful.

L1 or R1 to dodge, L1+R1 to parry, R2 to boost. No reason there to assume you're switching button functions.

I don't think it would be nearly as bad to hot swap attack/defend with d-pad, I'm use to seeing it with some action games that incorporate that setup at least the ones that don't have traditional blocks, I get it wouldn't ideal for a lot people aren't use it because how weird it is. When I saw the layout immediately it thought " oh it's like those game"  I made assumption based on footage Sonic doing different special moves in the combat showcase and individual stats seen in the HUD and was wondering if it was tied to that that kind of system. it might just simpler and more ergonomic than that. Makes me wonder if this game will incorporate customizable button mapping. Realistically I'm expecting it to bare minimum and it just pre-sets you choose instead full on custom re-mapping.

Sonic Frontiers is polarizing, just like BOTW when it launched.

Edited by Hidden04

4 minutes ago, Hidden04 said:

Sonic emoting with actual eyelids now? This'll be neat, do we have confirmation on whether this is the forces model or a new one yet?

14 minutes ago, Hidden04 said:

Sonic Frontiers is polarizing, just like BOTW when it launched.

The thing is that it's not BOTW

It's Sonic the Hedgehog.

1 minute ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

The thing is that it's not BOTW

It's Sonic the Hedgehog.

I think it's more so a joking reference to when fans kept comparing it to Breath of the Wild.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I think it's more so a joking reference to when fans kept comparing it to Breath of the Wild.

I never really saw the comparison tbh. I mean I did at one point, but this feels more like Odyssey with a darker story.

• Fist Bump 1

BotW did have its detractors as well. While there were people that loved its openness, there was also a number of complaints i remember seeing in regards to the dungeon/puzzle design, or the lack thereof What they wanted

• Fist Bump 1

Game seems more like a bigger Bowser's Fury than anything. 

Actuallly feels like a Bowser's Fury with warp gates that take you to Mario 3D World levels. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

I never really saw the comparison tbh. I mean I did at one point, but this feels more like Odyssey with a darker story.

At the start, people thought it would be tracking in BOTW's footsteps when we didn't have as much to see of the game.

Now that we've seen more, and gotten a better grasp on the scenario, it definitely seems like a more Sonic-y take on Odyssey's formula, somewhat similar to Adventure as well.

Overal open worlds while having more secure and linear levels to run through from each section. Which sounds enticing.

• Thumbs Up 2