Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Its not really relevant to how well the gameplay side of Cyberspace is being executed, but I’d say my ideal version of cyberspace in my minds eye would be almost counter to my hopes for analog, classic esque gameplay to matter again, which this version of the boost is attempting to shift towards but failing at. (So far)

Instead, I think the “methodical but brisk overworld, laser focused brief cyberspace stages” divide for the game is a great concept in theory, and would probably be the best version of itself if it exacerbated the differences between the two. Bring back the intensity of the Unleashed boost, camera angles, game design etc, and maybe even crank it up to 11 if it can be pushed even further. Forget retreading levels - have the entirety of the stages be composed of digital obstacle courses and worlds, both to make the long stage design easier to design, as these reused assets already do for the actual game, but also because it makes way more sense to lean entirely into the digital cyber world as an aesthetic than retread nostalgia anyways. Sonic Advance 2 it up all over the place.

The game was pretty much the perfect set up for a divide in gameplay that Unleashed had, but perfected. No werehog required. So the fact that it’s not even attempting to come close is a let down in itself for my hopes since the first leak. I can live without it, but it would have been much more novel in retrospect imo

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Didn't he say something about Chaos in Forces or was that SEGA the company's fault?

Hmm. That depends. Which aspect of Chaos are you referring to? Iizuka didn't really have much of a final say on Forces,  despite what many people mistakenly believe. 

13 minutes ago, Hidden04 said:

A look at the Squid Boss fight. 

Being able to just hop on the Squid in the overworld to start the fight with it made my face light up. That's the the type of seamless transition into more focused gameplay that I've been hoping for. Loading limitations stopped the cyberspace levels from really being that but at least they're keeping it to a minimum in the overworld.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Man. That little dance Sonic does before getting the green Emerald is cool. Shit, this time it really feels like Sonic Team is making a game with passion and especially TIME, if these little cool details are any indication. They could've just reused the same "emerald-get" animation for all of them, but they didn't. Despite reusing a lot of shit for the cyberspace levels, it's refreshing to see that the open zone parts of the game will offer new and exciting stuff, with a fairly amount of polish and care.

Also, did Sonic got that Emerald out in the field and not from an altar?

• Thumbs Up 5

I vaguely remember one of the press impressions a while back mentioning you can also just find the Emeralds sometimes, that might be what happened here? Or maybe you get it from a boss?

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I like the dance Sonic does for getting that emerald...

Where's stuff like that been since Rush, huh?

It's funny tho', because... "All my friends have been captured and are trapped God knows where... BUT CHECK OUT THESE SICK MOVES!". It's so stupid, but in a cool way.

Also agree with @Wraith on the fact that you can simply jump on top of the squid boss and start the fight, no cutscene, no black screen, just GO. That shit is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Saying Sonic Maria is more original than Fronteirs because of level layouts is a false equivalence because the regular stages are the main content of Mania, but they are not Fronteirs' main attraction.

Frontiers has 5 massive open zones that are brand new, tones of new enemies and bosses, new combat system. It's objectively a more refreshing experience compared to Mania that reuses layouts, assets, music, sprites and so on.

Frontiers is the most original mainline game since Colors

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

I vaguely remember one of the press impressions a while back mentioning you can also just find the Emeralds sometimes, that might be what happened here? Or maybe you get it from a boss?

I'm pretty sure someone said that was a misstranslation from a Kishimoto interview. I guess he didn't got it from a boss, because right after that he runs to fight one (the biiiiig one). Maybe you can get some Emeralds for completing puzzles too? Or a sidequest involving the Kokos? Who knows... I'm just glad it's not always the same thing.

With all these intractable bosses, I wonder, to what extent, can they possibly unlock extra advantages or ways to complete the game?

38 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm pretty sure someone said that was a misstranslation from a Kishimoto interview. I guess he didn't got it from a boss, because right after that he runs to fight one (the biiiiig one). Maybe you can get some Emeralds for completing puzzles too? Or a sidequest involving the Kokos? Who knows... I'm just glad it's not always the same thing.

Yea i just asked the dude who uploaded that youtube vid. You actually do get emeralds separate from the Emerald Vaults. This green emerald was from completing one of Amy’s mini games ivolving finding Kokos

13 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Hmm. That depends. Which aspect of Chaos are you referring to? Iizuka didn't really have much of a final say on Forces,  despite what many people mistakenly believe. 

Was mainly thinking of his inclusion as a whole since it seemed unnecessary but I don't think Iizuka was at fault for that, so nevermind

6 hours ago, Hidden04 said:

A look at the Squid Boss fight. 

That boss video looked... very jank to me lol. I like the ideas on display but I'm not a fan of the execution. Granted, some of these are probably gonna be fixed for launch I assume (or after 50 patches who knows lol).

0:43/0:47 - The way Sonic just jumps up is bizarre. He jumps like 100 feet lol. Not a fan of the way the camera snaps every time you hit a rock either. I get that it's supposed to be "cinematic", but it just looks very disorientating and not in a good way.
1:25 - The way Sonic just kind bounces like a rubber ball and then just slides with no impact when he lands is really off.
2:23 - The way you get on the boss is very jank. You approach it, the camera snaps to the boss title card, and then gameplay resumes. It really throws the player off since it's not a smooth transition to the boss. It would be a lot smoother if you were to jump on the purple trail of the boss and the boss title card plays without pausing gameplay.
3:23 - That homing attack is jank lol. And the way how Sonic is falling after, then immediately just starts like FLYING up to get back on the trail is so broken looking.
4:10 - Shouldn't Sonic be moving on the rotating platform when standing still?
4:13 - Sonic does not have a fall animation when the platform disappears, the camera also just snaps to Sonic's direction when falling. 
4:33   Midair is a weird place to tell players about the Fixed camera.
Again, some of these are minor and probably would be fixed but I just wrote down what stuff I noticed when watching.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, GameMaster0097 said:

The way Sonic just jumps up is bizarre. He jumps like 100 feet lol.

Pretty sure the video edited out the proper transition. The whole cutscene isn't there, for starters.

2 minutes ago, GameMaster0097 said:

The way Sonic just kind bounces like a rubber ball and then just slides with no impact when he lands is really off.

2 minutes ago, GameMaster0097 said:

That homing attack is jank lol. And the way how Sonic is falling after, then immediately just starts like FLYING up to get back on the trail is so broken looking.

These I don't really agree with, they all look fine. The impact is the part where he gets thrown into the mountain, not the comparatively soft landing.

3 minutes ago, GameMaster0097 said:

he way you get on the boss is very jank. You approach it, the camera snaps to the boss title card, and then gameplay resumes. It really throws the player off since it's not a smooth transition to the boss. It would be a lot smoother if you were to jump on the purple trail of the boss and the boss title card plays without pausing gameplay.

This I agree with wholeheardedly, and I prefer your suggestion. 

5 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

Here is something for you all.

That run up to the top of the floating diamond looked really fun. Seemed almost like a mini-level in and of itself.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, ZinogreVolt said:

That run up to the top of the floating diamond looked really fun. Seemed almost like a mini-level in and of itself.

My thoughts exactly! Climbing that thing sure does look fun indeed!

EDIT: Here is a little thing about rolling.

EDIT 2: There is also this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Imma be honest, this doesn't really bother me because my muscle memory with the 2D games always have me hold down/down left or right when I'm rolling. I was about to come in here about how not good this looks, but reading that made me feel better and also won't make me go "Hey guys they fixed the rolling in the final build!" because I'd be doing that anyway

• Thumbs Up 2

Add me to the list of peeps who like how you can just engage with Squid in the open world. Thats not something I expected or considered.

And it still very refreshing to see some of the DNA of prior games bleeding through here. So much of the good in Frontiers is building off of what other games did well, which is crazy considering how many times we've seemed to lost the baby with the bathwater.

The pop-in seems to be getting better every-time we see it too. Still there, but is significantly better then where we started from. We are in the polish window so here's hoping they clean up that last bit too.

• Thumbs Up 2