Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

In an actual speedrun of the game, people will likely want to level up Sonic's attack for the sake of things like bosses or Super Sonic. I can see skipping upgrading Sonic's speed since you have the Power Boost and it seemingly doesn't affect Cyber Space.

If you're just trying to show off a boss at all, though, you'd skip all that crap though. Go right for the Emeralds.

I'm not so sure about that. Leveling takes time, and while it's probably paced decently over the course of this allegedly 20-30 hour adventure, that means it totally could be faster to do the boss this way than spend time getting the levels for it. I mean, it's tedious here, but likely only a few minutes longer than it would be in a real playthrough. In souls-style game speedruns, the only time a runner will level up is if they managed to get a huge amount of experience points way earlier in the game than they're supposed to, and we don't know how exactly the cocos that level up your stats are distributed here.

3 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I'm not so sure about that. Leveling takes time, and while it's probably paced decently over the course of this allegedly 20-30 hour adventure, that means it totally could be faster to do the boss this way than spend time getting the levels for it. I mean, it's tedious here, but likely only a few minutes longer than it would be in a real playthrough. In souls-style game speedruns, the only time a runner will level up is if they managed to get a huge amount of experience points way earlier in the game than they're supposed to, and we don't know how exactly the cocos that level up your stats are distributed here.

I assume speedruns will route to pick up a few damage upgrade along the way. It likely won't add much to the time to pick up those items on the way. I'm sure the benefits will add up as you fight bosses throughout the game.

As for the super sonic fight, I'd be surprised if you couldn't at cyloop it considering how central the mechanic is to the game.

That is true. 

The main thing about my hypothesis is that apparently, increasing Sonic's Attack also increases his attack speed, so he not only hits harder but faster. Sometimes it's good to take the slow path in the beginning for an overall faster experience in a speedrun.

But overall, it would depend on the cost of putting in the time to find the red seeds in the world as opposed to only going for Memory Tokens and Vault Keys. 

All the other stats would be ignored, though, yeah. The Power Boost negates the need to level up Sonic's speed, and taking hits is almost never a concern in a speedrun unless you need to get hit, so there's no worry about upgrading Defense or Ring Capacity.

21 hours ago, StellarBlur said:

I don't have a problem with the seemingly short critical path. Do you guys know that Super Mario Odyssey can be beaten in less than 3 hours if you just beeline objectives and go for Talkatoo to tell you where the extra Moons you need are ? That's without doing any fast movement. Just playing the game casually but doing the critical path. We're not even talking speedrun times here. Most of you must've played for longer than 3 hours right? The structure of this game allow for something similar. It's not a sign of lack of content. It's a sign of freedom.

For reference:

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, StellarBlur said:

For reference:

This is a good example, if you only do the bare minimum to reach the end and know exactly what you need to do, it's possible to beat Mario Odyssey in only 2 to 3 hours. But the game takes about 45 hours on average to be finish in a normal play through, according to GameFaqs.

It's probably the same situation with Frontiers. I don't think we need to worry about that.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

You can probably just level strength by grabbing any of the purple fishing coins that happen to be near or on the critical path, and then trade those with Big for the Seeds of Power so you can top out on strength. 

1 hour ago, StellarBlur said:

I assume speedruns will route to pick up a few damage upgrade along the way. It likely won't add much to the time to pick up those items on the way. I'm sure the benefits will add up as you fight bosses throughout the game.

1 minute ago, ZinogreVolt said:

You can probably just level strength by grabbing any of the purple fishing coins that happen to be near or on the critical path, and then trade those with Big for the Seeds of Power so you can top out on strength. 

I'm sure it's possible to get some levels along the way, but I don't have a good picture of how many you need for that effort to be worth the time spent in a speedrun. Obviously, creative routing will be a trend among the best ones.

57 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

This is a good example, if you only do the bare minimum to reach the end and know exactly what you need to do, it's possible to beat Mario Odyssey in only 2 to 3 hours. But the game takes about 45 hours on average to be finish in a normal play through, according to GameFaqs.

It's probably the same situation with Frontiers. I don't think we need to worry about that.

It sure didn't take me no 45 hours tf

I wonder how we're going to backtrack to previous islands if the emeralds/super form is stripped from you immediately after beating the titan of each island.

Maybe that's what the metallic bird thing does?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be shocked if you don't recover the Tornado at some point.

Technically speaking, Sonic can fly it on his own too. I'd be pretty cool to unlock the ability to free-fly the plane toward the end of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

image.png.8f848d49fde711d742efe4c581e1f858.png

Have we seen this location before? It's probably part of Kronos, but I'm not familiar with it.

I think that’s the 2nd Tower boss section’s 2nd floor underneath. I’m not too sure if it was shown off tho. 

13 minutes ago, Hidden04 said:

Man they're really pushing Frontiers in Japan aren't they. Good, if Japan can see sonic as fondly as the west then we'll have a good future on our hands. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:50 PM, Hidden04 said:

Man, this game is going to be huge.

I can confirm this, I was lucky I didn't have to wait long because I was gunning it straight to that booth. But the queue filled up fast, and stayed filled up. No shortage of people to play the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is that a broken street date, or just a retailer showing off what you can buy?

Crude translation doesn't come out to anything nefarious.

All TGS products and it says it's a DVD on the disc.

The closest thing I've seen to the game being available is on some of the Japan collectors editions sold on eBay they say "there is no game software. It was opened once to remove the game software."