Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Something is very sketchy regarding this dude. If he actually played and spread info about Frontiers without signing NDA, someone at SEGA and especially him are very fucked because publicly leaking stuff before the embargo is extremely frowned upon. For example, Tom Henderson is under a lot fire right now in game journalism community for leaking new Kojima's game early. Another example, I don't remember name of the journalist, but I read on his social media that he was blacklisted by very big game company for leaking their stuff. Nicholas is at risk of loosing ability to attend high-profile events like this one and potential connection to SEGA, because he decided to get clout

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not like I really view him as a liar, it's just weird the details that seem to be contradictory between his statements and other ones we've gotten. Obviously I'd prefer to believe the more positive impressions, but if you make a conscious decision to believe anyone you're now saying that someone else's information is wrong. What the hell are we supposed to do with that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the nebulous state of most of his comments anyway, it's not really worth entertaining whether he's lying or not when we'll know in a few days' time anywho. We know people have played the game and we know they have thoughts that they wish to share, but can't just yet. Better just to wait for that to come out.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, phobs said:

Something is very sketchy regarding this dude. If he actually played and spread info about Frontiers without signing NDA, someone at SEGA and especially him are very fucked because publicly leaking stuff before the embargo is extremely frowned upon. For example, Tom Henderson is under a lot fire right now in game journalism community for leaking new Kojima's game early. Another example, I don't remember name of the journalist, but I read on his social media that he was blacklisted by very big game company for leaking their stuff. Nicholas is at risk of loosing ability to attend high-profile events like this one and potential connection to SEGA, because he decided to get clout

Pretty much.

And no offense to the dude, he does not seem to be sone bigshot that SEGA and company would just give a pass on the rules to.

I don't buy it.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Sega is not responsible for the reactions of a bunch of disgruntled Sonic fans on the Internet. If you choose to go online and act like an idiot because of a cartoon blue hedgehog, that's on you, not Sega. 

Hence; people wanted an overhaul of the system as opposed to another 3D game. 

You literally accused people like me of being idiots for complaining and then justified their complaints in the exact same post, and with what amounts to a rephrasing of my own last post, to boot.  It really seems like you’re just going out of your way to belittle me at this point, even when you actually agree with me.

3 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

You literally accused people of being idiots for complaining and then justified their complaints in the exact same post.

....wut? No, that's not what I said at all, what the fuck? 

People wanting a change in Sonic games and conveying that constructively and healthily is not the equivalent of going on the Internet and being obnoxious towards other people over this series. Why would you even think those two are remotely similar? 

There's a pretty big difference in language and tone between "I wish Frontiers had taken a different direction with Sonic and am disappointed they did not utilize that" versus "FUCK YOU SEGA, YOU RUINED SONIC I HOPE YOU ALL DIE" 

• Thumbs Up 5

34 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

....wut? No, that's not what I said at all, what the fuck? 

People wanting a change in Sonic games and conveying that constructively and healthily is not the equivalent of going on the Internet and being obnoxious towards other people over this series. Why would you even think those two are remotely similar? 

There's a pretty big difference in language and tone between "I wish Frontiers had taken a different direction with Sonic and am disappointed they did not utilize that" versus "FUCK YOU SEGA, YOU RUINED SONIC I HOPE YOU ALL DIE" 

There is a difference, but why did you automatically assume that I was defending the latter and not the former, let alone saying I was acting like an idiot?  That’s needlessly presumptuous and hostile.

Also, I’m really sick of people pointing to the likes of Chris-Chan, Richard Kuta and SammyClassicSonicFan whenever the notion of complaining about Sonic games comes up, as if they exemplify fan complaints and as if the overall popular opinions towards Sonic games WEREN’T skeptical, to put it nicely.

On that note, it seems rather ironic that how a theatrical and inflammatory rant against Sonic is perceived differently based on who makes it.  Somehow, when someone who either holds a job at a gaming publication or is a successful e-celeb says it, even if it goes as far as saying anyone who disagrees wants to fuck Big the Cat, that’s considered okay and it’s SEGA reaping what it sewed through bad games.  However, when unsuccessful people shoot their mouths off like that, they’re considered to be overreacting and they’re the ones at fault for daring to hate something in the Sonic series.

And no; sorry but they’re NOT entirely the ones at fault.  Look, I’m not denying that Richard Kuta was a manbaby and an excessive Classic (and moreover, American) Sonic purist, and yes; Sonic’s eyes being green was a stupid thing to hold against Sonic 4.  But when so much of that game’s marketing campaign was just boasting about how it was rejecting extra characters who had cluttered up the Adventure era, they were also pandering to people like Kuta, so such complaints from those jaded nostalgic fans aren’t too unexpected.

Also it’s kind of interesting that while much of the world wrote Kuta off as an immature loser, Sonic Team would soon cave and revive the Classic Sonic design, and has kept swinging it around with a passion that makes Shadow’s revival look almost subtle.

10 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

There is a difference, but why did you automatically assume that I was defending the latter and not the former, let alone saying I was acting like an idiot?  That’s needlessly hostile and presumptuous.

I'm not sure but I don't think it was referred to you at all. The "you" in that post was like saying "one random guy", it was just an example I think.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

And no offense to the dude, he does not seem to be sone bigshot that SEGA and company would just give a pass on the rules to.

Is it possible he knows a guy (who knows a guy, etc.)? I'm not saying y'all are wrong to be skeptical but it doesn't seem that unrealistic to me that someone at the venue would risk it.

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Pretty much.

I don't buy it.

35 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Is it possible he knows a guy (who knows a guy, etc.)? I'm not saying y'all are wrong to be skeptical but it doesn't seem that unrealistic to me that someone at the venue would risk it.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I sometimes get the feeling that SEGA wants people to break the contract and leak things, because that gets people to boost the game’s online presence with discussion, searching and speculation.  As it stands, the supposed leaks we got from Future Game Show barely give us any more insight than we’ve seen from what SEGA and IGN shared officially.  Maybe they paint the game in a more positive light but we know barely any more info.  It sounds like there wasn’t a whole lot there to cover up at FGS, so maybe SEGA was deliberately going for reverse psychology with that NDA so even little tidbits of info would feel valuable.

9 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I sometimes get the feeling that SEGA wants people to break the contract and leak things, because that gets people to boost the game’s online presence with discussion, searching and speculation.  As it stands, the supposed leaks we got from Future Game Show barely give us any more insight than we’ve seen from what SEGA and IGN shared officially.  Maybe they paint the game in a more positive light but we know barely any more info.  It sounds like there wasn’t a whole lot there to cover up at FGS, so maybe SEGA was deliberately going for reverse psychology with that NDA so even little tidbits of info would feel valuable.

You're giving them too much. If that worked, a lot of other companies would be doing that as we speak. 

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

If it weren't for the fact that this shady guy's testimonial didn't contradict everything else that we've seen it heard from impressions which have been more consistent with one another, maybe, but that's not the case.

Hell, even if we didn't consider that,  this is 4d chess move that doesn't make sense from a business perspective. 

And yes, we can go on and joke about the marketing and how that's been its own wild ride, but intentionally letting this one person off of NDA, doesn't make sense.

54 minutes ago, Celestia said:

If he did know a guy, then he's putting said personnel in danger of losing their job, given how tightly SEGA have been keeping any bouts of outright leaking locked down.

And given the apparent security detail....it's just a really tough sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just since I don't think it all got posted here, here's some cleanup from SGF.

We got a look at the map screen:

HXD0zyV.png

Those blocks are probably unlocked as you move through them, but I'm guessing there are larger sections unlocked by using the pillars or whatever it was the IGN guy mentioned. The blue bar in the top right probably says "Kronos Island". I'm not sure what the black boxes below it are. There are seven of them, each with different sets of icons, so maybe they're the cyberspace levels and you can just warp into them from the map screen. There appears to be some...waveforms(?) at the bottom of a couple of them? Dunno what that's about.

We've also got more shots of the totem miniboss

This is probably the intro animation:

And here's Sonic breaking a segment of it:

Finally, because I'm apparently some kind of fucking chode, I went and looked back at the cutscene footage. We have a low-res look at one, but the stream kept buffering or something, and I think I can do better. So here's char0613's upscale, with the parts where the screen freezes cut out:

How did some guy get to play frontiers.

Erm... quite easily?

This wasn't a public event. Summer games fest was an invite guest list only thing. Everyone who attended was vetted and given their own unique pass to enter.

So as far as anyone showing off a game was concerned... Everyone in that venue was authorised to be there and was either press or some form of media outlet. (Which this guy was).

But how did he play it without an appointment?

Maybe... just maybe... he asked? 

If you're promoting a game in a non closed booth (Which they had there) and someone of the media asks if they can play it, if you have slots open. Odds are they'll say yes. They don't want to be at a venue in an open space and nobody is playing their game!

Christ we had people using that as a put down with the early pics of the booth showing nobody at the pods when they'd just switched them on!

Well... why didn't he sign and NDA? I've no idea. You'd have to ask Sega. But it's not unheard or for people to get onto games at press events and not sign any paperwork.

The way some people are going on you'd think this guy broke into a government facility or something. This isn't the impossible outlandish task which is verging on conspiracy that some are drawing it out to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Another twitter guy alleging he played the game. Unlike the first one he seems to have actually been there, but this still seems sketchy. He's got less than 200 followers, claims he was simply given another person's playtime who supposedly missed, and didn't have to sign any kind of NDA.

He claims the "sky sanctuary" level somehow has Generations gameplay and Forces assets (what?), and that the game is running from 20-30 fps, which doesn't seem consistent with what we've seen and heard.

Bruh everyone else said it runs at 60fps, what in the ass is that guy farting out of his mouth????

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, McGroose said:

This is why I'm calling bullshit, we would've heard this by now from someone else who didn't like the game. The only consistent graphical complaints we've heard so far AFAIK are the artstyle itself and pop-in 

There is a fricking GameSpot video where they show (actual footage of someone playing and having fun with the game (ngl it looks exciting and amazing)), and the game plays at a buttery smooth 60fps, btw animation complaints are non existent anymore, they're looking nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll never get tired of reading Iizuka stumble around trying to describe the games he's making, it's always madness.
Man, this artwork of a quote:

Takashi Iizuka tells us of the fan response.  
"We're showing them this new open zone format when they still don't really even understand what open zone is. We were curious what kind of the feedback there would be and we do understand the comments that are coming in, because they don't know what open zone and what this new open zone gameplay is supposed to be. From here until the launch of the product we have many opportunities to teach people what open zone is, what this game really is and not having them think about comparing it to what exists out there already but being able to look at the game for what it is and enjoy it for what it is."

Well, it's an Open Zone game but people don't understand it's an open Zone game but the Open Zone game is an open zone game and when people know it's an Open Zone game, then people will enjoy Open Zone game.
I wonder if that was his debriefing to his development team too..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

46 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I'll never get tired of reading Iizuka stumble around trying to describe the games he's making, it's always madness.
Man, this artwork of a quote:

Takashi Iizuka tells us of the fan response.  
"We're showing them this new open zone format when they still don't really even understand what open zone is. We were curious what kind of the feedback there would be and we do understand the comments that are coming in, because they don't know what open zone and what this new open zone gameplay is supposed to be. From here until the launch of the product we have many opportunities to teach people what open zone is, what this game really is and not having them think about comparing it to what exists out there already but being able to look at the game for what it is and enjoy it for what it is."

Well, it's an Open Zone game but people don't understand it's an open Zone game but the Open Zone game is an open zone game and when people know it's an Open Zone game, then people will enjoy Open Zone game.
I wonder if that was his debriefing to his development team too..

I don't know at this point. 

4 hours ago, Pumkin_22 said:

There is a fricking GameSpot video where they show (actual footage of someone playing and having fun with the game (ngl it looks exciting and amazing)), and the game plays at a buttery smooth 60fps, btw animation complaints are non existent anymore, they're looking nice.

Amusingly, apparently the new footage we’re seeing is another Sega-provided Broll, at least according the recent Game Informer impressions video. The demo stuff that they played was a bit more linear it sounded like?

7 minutes ago, Hidden04 said:

"A silhouette that looks like a human child..."

Could it be?...

....No way....

Spoiler

Chara2.thumb.png.5f03eb4c7d4cdc3311e7e323ad446ac9.png

• Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1