Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

Probably my favorite sonic game in a while. Not once was I bored of the open world and the gimmicks with the enemies tends to shake up the combat a bit.

The story is interesting for once. And they did a good job with Sage. 

Except Eggman still kicks this off by messing with a dangerous ancient power and Sage is the one who drew the emeralds to the island and locked up Sonic's friends, so probably none of this would've happened if they weren't power-hungry and stupid.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Except Eggman still kicks this off by messing with a dangerous ancient power and Sage is the one who drew the emeralds to the island and locked up Sonic's friends, so probably none of this would've happened if they weren't power-hungry and stupid.

SAGE's actions and behavior don't read as power-hungry. Stupid? Maybe, but not really the former. 

Spoiler

You know, when Tails goes out of his way to say whatever the Ancients were fighting and afraid of is easily comparable to Dark Gaia, I was kinda expecting something a bit more exciting and interesting looking…not a goddamn purple moon 

4 hours ago, Jango said:

He mentions the events of Unleashed?

I would be shocked if he didn't, seeing as the Ancients presented in this game supposedly predate even the civilizations that created the temples made to keep Dark Gaia at bay.

Edited by Zoomzeta

Question: when will we be allowed to discuss all topics about this game, including late game stuff, in the regular topic? Do we usually wait like a month or so? 

8 hours ago, Jango said:

He mentions the events of Unleashed?

Not directly; just a namedrop.

Spoiler

After Sonic and Tails see a (low-budget) flashback of when the Ancients' arsenal of cannons got obliterated, Tails says that whatever attacked the island is easily on par with Dark Gaia.

@MGA_GamerI'm not sure how much of the game you've seen in total, but

Spoiler

Tails' reasons for wanting to change have to do with fears, self-doubt and anger at himself over how useless he was in Forces. Honestly, the line at the end of hardly recognising him worried me a little, too, but in context with his other conversations, I'm sure that he'll stay a cuddly little brother in terms of voice, appearance and general demeanour, and just be more competent again.

• Fist Bump 1

Found the convo on Chaos Island where Tails said "when I was lost in Cyberspace, I was confronted with another version of myself" who basically talks down to him, calling him a follower.

None of the other characters mentioned anything like that as far as I know. Is that just the villains doing? Or Tails going crazy trapped in cyberspace? We know he's "lost it" before, huehue.

On 11/11/2022 at 12:26 AM, BadBehavior said:

Found the convo on Chaos Island where Tails said "when I was lost in Cyberspace, I was confronted with another version of myself" who basically talks down to him, calling him a follower.

None of the other characters mentioned anything like that as far as I know. Is that just the villains doing? Or Tails going crazy trapped in cyberspace? We know he's "lost it" before, huehue.

Each of them refer to a different experience, and mostly miserable. Sonic in Cyberspace is seemingly just running through past worlds. Amy first describes it as being trapped in darkness, aware but unable to hear or see anything, and then describing as being trapped in a dream, seemingly aware and awake, yet unable to really interact or feel anything around you. Knuckles describes it as being flooded with visions of mistakes, and basically calls it a nightmare, and Tails describes it as having a vision of his self doubts and fears personified.

I don't recall whether the details were shared in this thread or not, but we do have an unused map of the full Kronos island from the switch game files

tKRvep4.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, i’m just so interested to see what this thing looked like in full a year ago when it was originally scheduled to release. The more we learn about how and why everything after Chaos Island seems so hastily pieced together, the more it feels like this could’ve been more akin to Forces had it not had more dev time. Considering we actually saw parts of (what is now) Ouranos in the reveal trailer from last year, Iizuka being dodgy about the number of islands in that one interview from just a few months back (!) makes me wonder just how late into development the decision to split Kronos and make it the endgame was made. 

Kinda of amazing that even with one of the longest dev cycles for a Sonic game and supposedly some internal delays, Sonic Team still couldn't finish a game the way they wanted. Surely Frontiers isn't unfinished per ser and every game has cut content, but it's becoming clearer everyday that a lot of stuff simply had to change to reach a deadline, if everything past Chaos Island is any indication... Would have loved a proper snowy island and a techno/cyber island, but... Shit takes time. And to be fair, if they only made 3 islands, period, but had way more original cyberspace levels and stuff to do in every one of them, it would've been better imo. But 3 and a half islands, with a lot of recycled stuff from beggining to end is underwhelming at the end of the day.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Too Many Rings 1

What's that forcefield thing on the last island that tells you to turn around? Why can't I explore that area? Kinda wonder if I can glitch past that invisible wall.

Honestly I am shocked by how okay I am with the islands losing their visual variety halfway through. The final island is actually way more interesting than I thought it would be, thanks to the cloudy sky and general endgame vibe. Also, the island before literally just serves to host the towers, so that one didn’t feel repetitive either. 

We know that a lot of stuff was cut, but playing the game in a vacuum, it’s honestly not all that apparent. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The 3 vs 5 islands thing is disappointing as a fan who followed the game but its one thing I haven't seen brought up in any of the reviews I've seen. I wish Frontiers had more visual variety in a lot of ways, but I think the devs probably made the right call based on the situation they were in.

Yeah yeah Frontiers had a super long dev time, but it seems a ton of that dev time was spent playtesting and refining the foundations of the game. I think by the time they really committed to a direction, they were under more of a time crunch than we realize. Also, let's not forget how much time may have been lost due to COVID-related disruptions in 2020 which is probably around the time they were really starting to breakout with the final vision for the game based on the playtest leaks we've seen. 

• Thumbs Up 6

On 11/13/2022 at 9:15 AM, juiceDpunk983 said:

What's that forcefield thing on the last island that tells you to turn around? Why can't I explore that area? Kinda wonder if I can glitch past that invisible wall.

Spoiler

Fairly sure that's where you fight Supreme. There's a glitch that lets you get huge height if you cancel a stomp attack with an air boost with perfect timing, so it might be possible to get over that wall, but there's no telling if there's also an invisible ceiling covering the whole thing. I'm very curious what would happen if someone does manage to get in there, since you usually enter it already Super from the cutscene.

Chances are that nothing special will happen, though. Ares Island doesn't have anything special stopping you from entering its arena early, and you can even climb all the way up to the top of the tower, but nothing happens if Wyvern isn't in the sky yet. I don't recall if you can see Supreme before the fight starts or not.

4 hours ago, A_W said:

I don't recall if you can see Supreme before the fight starts or not.

Spoiler

I've been reading up on this game's old leaks and that and on the old build the first island is bigger. There was an old leak that says you fight a Titan in a Forrest and that's where you fight Supreme. Maybe on the old build that's where you fight Giganto, perhaps if you glitch in there you could fight the old build boss?

So basically after the remaining Ancients fled to Angel Island, they slowly morphed into Chao? That seems to be what Egg Memo 11 is suggesting.

Now I’m thinking back to the prologue short. I guess there’s a reason the Chao were featured so heavily while Knuckles was ruminating on who first harnessed the Emeralds’ power. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that is the implication. "Eons of radiation" apparently turns intelligent life into adorable water fairy babies.

It's... a stretch, but far from the weirdest idea the series has proposed. As far as plot twists go (not really a plot twist so much as a lore twist, but anyway), I think it adds more than takes away, personally. 

Now, what I want to see explored a little more is the... The End. Whatever it is. From what we know from it's monologue against Sonic, it's a being that lived since "time immemorial," and talks about bringing order to chaos and creation, which means neutralizing it into nothing.  I have to wonder if they (Sonic Team, Iizuka, Flynn, whoever) have thought beyond what we've seen in Frontiers and if there's more of these beings out in the universe with the same purpose. I also wonder why it felt the need to track down the Ancients specifically; do you think it was after the Chaos Emeralds to get rid of them since they embody chaos, or was it seeking the Emeralds' power to do more damage?

• Thumbs Up 3

57 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Yeah, that is the implication. "Eons of radiation" apparently turns intelligent life into adorable water fairy babies.

It's... a stretch, but far from the weirdest idea the series has proposed. As far as plot twists go (not really a plot twist so much as a lore twist, but anyway), I think it adds more than takes away, personally. 

Now, what I want to see explored a little more is the... The End. Whatever it is. From what we know from it's monologue against Sonic, it's a being that lived since "time immemorial," and talks about bringing order to chaos and creation, which means neutralizing it into nothing.  I have to wonder if they (Sonic Team, Iizuka, Flynn, whoever) have thought beyond what we've seen in Frontiers and if there's more of these beings out in the universe with the same purpose. I also wonder why it felt the need to track down the Ancients specifically; do you think it was after the Chaos Emeralds to get rid of them since they embody chaos, or was it seeking the Emeralds' power to do more damage?

It is peculiar how adamant it was about destroying them in their entirety even after destroying their home world. So yeah, it's possible something about the Emeralds drew it to do so. 

Just beat the game, quite a lot to take in lore-wise! I'l just stick to some Eggman-related stuff I have fresh on my mind:

It was crazy to hear Eggman mention Maria in his memos! That was, like, the first time she's been acknowledged by him since SA2. When he was comparing her to Sage, I almost thought she was going to be revealed as a sort of reincarnation of Maria created by him or something. That would've been more interesting than her being his surrogate daughter. It would've been nice if he talked about his grandfather again too.

(Also, anyone else disappointed when Eggman mentioned Orbot and Cubot? I was hoping we'd seen the last of 'em lol)

15 minutes ago, Austroid said:

(Also, anyone else disappointed when Eggman mentioned Orbot and Cubot? I was hoping we'd seen the last of 'em lol)

SEGA isn't getting rid of anything...

Pretty much everything they can keep, they will.

12 minutes ago, Austroid said:

Eh, as long as they don't interfere with the tone of future games, I'm fine with them sticking around and helping form a whole Egg family. lol

Besides, Ian has shown he can work well enough with those guys.