Awoo.

DAY 13 - Music Track of the Week 2: 'Opening Stage' [30DOS22]

Dreadknux

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Sega DogTagz was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Ah, dragged my feet and missed out on Sonic Rush and Runners. Aw well.

Guess I'll have to go with this gem

I swear every track in this game is just perfect in terms of music. Wisp Circuit gets some additional nostalgia points because it was also the soundtrack to the OverDrive short, but all the same its just a nice introduction into a collection of music that stands out even among the Sonic catalog.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Strickerx5 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Blue - Participated in one Music Track of the Week activity' and 5 points.

Yeah, I'm not going to go against the grain here or pick something out of left field.

It's Escape from the City in SA2 for me, like with a lot of others lol.

Like, what can I even say that hasn't already? To me, it's the perfect opening track. A nice, iconic, upbeat slice of the adventure to come. It's something that sticks with you even after the game ends. Honestly, from what I've experienced, it's also one of those select few tracks from this series that has somewhat broken into the mainstream as I've met a number of people who don't know a lot about Sonic yet somehow know this song.

Though, I think the icing on the cake for me is a small little detail in the lyrics. In the second verse where they play off the main theme/ final boss track, "Trust your feelings, you've got to live and learn." That shit still hits hard for me; even today. You just don't get that type of overarching theming throughout the games nowadays. I'm such a sucker for that kind of stuff which is why this has to be my top opening stage track (and honestly why SA2's soundtrack as a whole is top tier for me as this is far from the only case of the OST doing something like this).

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

Nix was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

SA2 is the best I agree SSMB.

GO

I like the way Leaf Forest has a lower, but energetic buildup during its opening run before kicking into high gear with its main melody at almost the exact moment Sonic would launch off the first ramp. Lives in my head for free.

Spoiler

City Escape is still pretty good.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

NikoS was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

regarding best opening tracks, there's no other options / only one thing to do"

posting the symphony version since the OG was posted already, I have nothing to say about this that wasn't said already, I don't think there will ever be a catchier and more in your face first level song than this.

Honourable mention goes to Windmill Isle - suburbs, really calming and welcoming song, one of my favorites from Unleashed

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

Solister was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Ugh... forgot to check the new topics yesterday, and now pretty much all the greatest were already chosen. Indeed, City Escape, Emerald Hill, Seaside Hill, Windmill Isle and many more would have been my choice.

BUT

I've got to thank my Trance/raver soul at least once in this topic series (useless to say the music ones are the most interesting) so...

this reminds me how long I've been promising myself a replay of Sonic Riders and still haven't done it.

I mean, there isn't much to say about this tune. It's pretty much the only time Sonic tracks went more into an Electronic/Trancey direction, and I absolutely love it. I can see some of my favorite DJs playing this in their sets and anyone wouldn't even doubt about it, kinda wish Sonic went more into this direction, but I doubt it's popular enough and how this would have fit outside the Riders series (And it's a very early 2000s dated sound).

• Thumbs Up 4

Dreadknux

Spin Slasher was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I would choose Seaside Hill from Sonic Heroes because it is instrumental but personally I might choose Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure.

Dreadknux

Sapphirine Wind was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

On 6/13/2022 at 1:41 PM, Zaysho said:

This one is just obligatory, IMO

Ooh, this is definitely my entry, too.

Like I said, I started with Sonic Adventure DX-- mainly the demo, and every character had one stage you could play a character with. Sonic's was Emerald Coast, so this was probably the first Stage music I ever heard for Sonic. Since the demo was all I had for a bit, this was basically Sonic's theme, if you asked me.

It's so nostalgic to me. I spent so much time in Emerald Coast, playing the same thing over and over, spindashing whenever I liked and collecting all the animals I could each time I destroyed a robot, and I still remember running away from that random killer whale. I hear this now and I get such a feel for Sonic as a character as I recall all the fun I had in that stage, so I think the magic is still there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Multikaris was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

https://youtu.be/5DVWU-1rYHs

While it’s merely the first level for Team Rose and an optional stage for the rest, this track here just plain ol’ oozes with “we are going to learn the ropes and we will certainly have fun, fun, fun!”, and is the backing track for one of the least intrusive and most engaging tutorials I’ve ever seen. Partially because of this ditty, even. It also shows that while this game is a bit more lighthearted, it’s ultimately a Sonic game at its core. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Piko was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Heroes was my first Sonic game so mayyybe I'm a little biased, but I'm gonna have to say Seaside Hill.

You know how people say that a song scratches an itch in their brain? For me, this is one of those songs; that chill yet upbeat guitar riff is just so damn satisfying. It's also a great song in the context of the game; it's perfect for a first stage and it fits the beach aesthetic of Seaside Hill like a glove.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Wraith was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Blue - Participated in one Music Track of the Week activity' and 5 points.

Not sure if this is cheating or not since this is technically not the first stage, but in terms of just starting the journey off this one always comes to mind. It's got that Sonic Adventure bite, but there's also this warmth to it that suits a bunch of friends reconnecting and resolving to solve a problem together. The tail of it is actually the same as Seaside Hill, but I've always preferred this song. I'm sad it hasn't gotten any play in spinoffs.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dreadknux

Sonictrainer was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I'm also going to go with Apotos/Windmill Isle from Sonic Unleashed.

Whether Sonic is chilling in the Town Stage and enjoying a Sundae Supreme, running through the streets to get rid of the Badniks, or fighting his way through Dark Gaia Minions to save Tails, there is a number of tunes to jam out to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Mr. Ion was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Blue - Participated in one Music Track of the Week activity' and 5 points.

I quite like City Escape, Green Hill, Emerald Hill, Door into Summer, Palmtree Panic, even Lost Valley from Forces. I can't really decide on one (I guess Palmtree Panic, specifically the past and present versions). But I'm going to throw in another song...

This entire soundtrack is massively underrated, and the composer did a great job (this is the same as the guy who composed for R, and Can you feel the Sunshine is another favorite of mine, probably should've mentioned). I actually prefer the Act 2 version of this song, but this has a slower start up that's fitting, and the tropical vibes emanating from this song just works really well. I wish this entire soundtrack was attached to a game that's better than 3D Blast, of all things, because this is an amazing song and it always gets me into a good mood.

• 2 weeks later...
Dreadknux

Teoskaven was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I can imagine why none has picked this yet, but aside for how memetic and oversaturated it has become, Green Hill Zone Act 1 to me is just solid and iconic as a first stage music. It does give the ideal first impressions a player would need.

Dreadknux

RosaRosaRosalina was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

DAY 13

A bit of an oddball choice from me but I'm going with this.

Sonic Chaos is a game. It's a very short, kind of easy game. But the very first song you hear lets you know that it knows how to leave a lasting impression. The hits at the very beginning already kinda pump me up to get blasting through the zone! Though I guess if the 8-bit square waves of the SN76489 aren't up to everyone's fancy, you could always give the masterful fan rework a listen, too! 

Dreadknux

Silvereyes was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Green Hill Zone from Sonic Mania. It's nostalgic, but nostalgic in a very good, precise way, reminding me of why I love Sonic but also providing a gorgeous new take with lush HD visuals. It's such a good note to start on, the complete inverse of Splash Hill Zone from Sonic 4.

Dreadknux

Rabid-Coot was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Emerald Hill from Sonic 2 such a good way to start a game and it was nice seeing it get some remix love in the origins cutscene.