Awoo.

DAY 15 - Question of the Week 2: 'Sonic Merch' [30DOS22]

Dreadknux

It's time for another Question of the Week!

First-timers taking part this week will earn this badge:

Question Blue.png

If you took part last week as well, you'll also earn this badge for participating this week:

Question Bronze.png

Question of the Week

What is the Most Interesting Piece of Sonic Merch You Own?

Every Sonic fan has at least one item of Sonic merch on their shelf. Heck, even a copy of a Sonic video game counts as merchandise these days, what with gaming going all digital and everything. We want you to share either the most interesting - or your favourite - Sonic themed product that you own, and talk a little about it if you like. We hope it kicks off some interesting conversations and helps bring the community a little closer together.

Remember, you don't have to have anything super mega-rare to be able to participate - anything goes! Whatever you think is interesting, or failing that just whatever you own that happens to be your favourite Sonic thing. Could be your first Sonic video game, a childhood plush toy, a limited edition something... whatever! As long as you're able to share a photo of the item, and talk a little bit about it, then you're good!

I'll kick things off - I kind of have two to share. Mostly because I can't really decide which one to go for, and the more interesting thing I have I can't be bothered to take out of the box so to make it more interesting I'll share two :D 

vmu-merch.jpg

First thing is this Sonic Team branded VMU. I got it off an eBay auction about 15 years ago or something, not sure how because they were rare as hen's teeth even back then. It's a blue VMU that I think was released in limited numbers. There is a complementing blue Sonic Team-branded Dreamcast console that goes with it, but I have never seen it in the wild... this VMU is a constant reminder of my failure to hunt one of those beauties down. Never used it, am curious to - it looks really cool I think!

statue1.jpg statue2.jpg statue3.jpg

Thing is, I feel like I'm always talking about that darned VMU so I wanted to add another interesting item in my collection. It's a limited edition First 4 Figures statue produced for Sonic's 20th Anniversary. Sadly, I am too lazy right now to get it out of the box as it's absolutely huge - but you can see what it kind of looks like in the second image (it's basically that render in statue form, on a Green Hill Zone style plinth). If I have time I'll add a photo of it out of the box because it does look really cool.

Everyone who was everyone wanted one of these back in the day... they were a bit like the Mega Drive Mini Tower of Powers of their time. Only there were a few more of these. I think 1000 were made in total. We gave a good couple away at Summer of Sonic too. I don't think I'll part with it unless it secures me a good pension in about 20 years time haha!

What about you? What's your treasured possession?

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Tornado was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I've got this Mitsubishi 3000GT RC car from 1993:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don't know why I still have it. It's only nominally Sonic-related. I lost the remote for it at least 20 years ago, the antenna broke off and it was complete garbage even when it was new (it's one of those ones where you push the button to go forward and when you let go it spins around forever until you tell it to go forward again). But I still have it.

Edit: ACTUALLY NO.

spacer.png

It's this picture of Bulma Pollock signed for me.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Chuckle 1

Dreadknux

Rabid-Coot was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I don't really do merch for things so I don't have many items to mention.

I've got this mug from the 90's that was used for a while and now lives in the back of a cupboard.

pwnHWQ3.jpg

And a Sonic Flexi Friend that sits in another cupboard because I know from the previous one I owned the internal wire doesn't hold up to that much bending.

uOlVmY3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

• The title was changed to DAY 15 - Question of the Week 3: 'Sonic Merch' [30DOS22]
Dreadknux

A super No.1 washedupgamer was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I had a sonic figure waaayyy back from when i was a teen but it's gone now.

I don't really collect merch but I did 3d print some chaos emeralds one time:

1469544742_0512221704b2.thumb.jpg.2e7e89ce1bb960b9904b7fca2f3d2cb5.jpg

Does this count?

All I need is the light blue one and I have all seven.

• Thumbs Up 7

Dreadknux

Covskin was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I once ordered a Tails plush online that never arrived, and unbeknownst to me my brother ordered a replacement just in time for my birthday! They arrived within days of each other. At the end of the day they're just a pair of standard (identical) Tails plushes though, so let's go more Route 1.

IMG_20220615_210132_194.jpg.cc01fb0621e738274d998d9ae87348ec.jpg

Once the Playstation came around I stopped keeping up with Sonic, and it wasn't until 2003 when I got a Gamecube I regained interest in the franchise, kickstarted by Sonic Mega Collection. I followed that up with the Adventure games and was belatedly introduced to the soundtracks and Crush 40. Despite not buying a new Sonic game between Shadow and Generations / Sonic 4 this time I kept my interest going thanks to this place, and kept up on the music including Crush 40. This extended to attending multiple Summer Of Sonic events and having the opportunity to do something I would never have imagined - meeting developers and the band. My Mega Drive was long gone but I thought it fitting to get Mega collection signed in its place. That's Naka and Iizuka on the right and despite not technically being Sonic merchandise, Senoue and Gioeli on the left. Still bizarre to me that I've met them.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

JonoD was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Blue - Participated in one Question of the Week activity' and 5 points.

Hmmm...

There are a lot of ways to define "Interesting". Does interesting mean rare? Does interesting mean sentimental? Does interesting mean quirky?

I suppose to me the thing that sums that up the most for me is this:

Battle for Station Square

This, as I think a lot will recognise is the F4F Modern Super Sonic Exclusive. What's not immediately apparent though is that this statue is very much unlike the others that rolled off the line.

This is Statue "0". The prototype. The actual one you see in all those product photos online. It has no base sticker, has electronics hanging out in weird places, hot glue holding certain bits together and... It's pretty awesome.

This thing has a ton of memories for me. It was a statue I and@Blue Blood helped conceptualise from its earliest forms, and when the time came to reveal it, F4F were kind enough to send it over for us to debut at the first, big WSS event in 2015.

So how did we end up getting to keep it? Well... It turns out that sending this thing over priority from China wasn't cheap... So when we batted around the question of how we should get it back to F4F, they simply told us: "Keep it.".

And we did!

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Way Past Cool 1

Dreadknux

Stasis was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I own a fair bit of merch after years of collecting but I have 2 things that stand out for me

With Sonic the Comic being a big thing for me growing up, I always entered the competitions to win some cool Sonic/Sega swag. I never won, but out of all the prizes, the 'Sega Mega Hog Tags' were my dream. Many, many years later, by a spot of luck, I managed to get myself some. I've never seen any since and don't know of anyone else with them, they aren't even a must have item, but they just stand out for me as being the unobtainable back in the day.

674908519_hogtagstc.png.98a69a12985aaefb4c86c20356cd4ef8.png287203166_1423863938108679_7242728988780774647_n.thumb.jpg.074a03297d4547fa96850534b785373a.jpg

The other is this Sonic rug. I was contacted by someone regarding it and we had an interesting conversation. SEGA PARK, Southampton, UK had this as it's carpet. When it eventually shut down, a friend of his tore up a square of the worn carpet and had it framed. It was thought or known to be the only piece remaining until mine. After some contact with the seller, they had originally supplied the carpet (Grosvenor Carpets) to the park, and what was left was turned in to a rug. It's one of a kind, huge and screams 90's style.

58068407_10161748301455607_4548495594825449472_n.jpg.903555408f2ec43e3e6cc4cddf4a863e.jpg.7f2421841761f02853a2241a82b66607.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, castell-neath said:

I have quite a bit of merch...but i think I HAVE to choose this, which was a suprise early 40th B.day present from my brothers at xmas (2021). They really did thier homework to get it imported from japan and shipped to the uk. I love it, and its not been off my wrist much in 6 months. Best bit is tgat its number 360 to match the loop de loop effect! 

20220615_205313.jpg

Really beautiful watch : )

I need to ask, can sonic move around the watch? I saw pictures of this before and always wondered that

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, NikoS said:

Really beautiful watch : )

I need to ask, can sonic move around the watch? I saw pictures of this before and always wondered that

Sadly not. He's forever stuck at 4 o'clock. Initially i was slightly disappointed with this until i saw how much effort (and extra cost) it would take for him to move around. Plus it would involve more gears etc and they would be more likely to go wrong. As it is, it will last forever providing it gets regular servicing.

If your looking to get one, it has a rather small face (compared to my other watches) so I would certainly say order a large or xl as the strap is rather small too for its size

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Ryannumber1gamer was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I'll probably give it to my most recent big addition that I got as a early Christmas present to piece together throughout December:

FBoPcDjWUAsSfhQ.jpg

(Not my picture, obviously lol).

So, this was a very recent new piece of merchandise that dropped last December - a Sonic advent calender where instead of a piece of chocolate every day, you instead get a new piece of the statue and would slowly assemble it all throughout the month until eventually, you were left with this extremely rad Classic Sonic snowboarding statue. 

This is frankly the first time I've ever seen such a statue before, and even such an idea before, and it was my very first product to come from SEGA's official shop, as I received it as a gift right before December 1st. My only real problem with it is while the pose is super cool, it's also extremely top heavy, and is also super fragile, so you need to be immensely careful when placing it, if you don't want it to just fall apart on you (or glue it, I guess lol).

Still, I've now got him proudly standing next to the Diamond Collection Modern Sonic, and Diamond Collection Tails statues I got for Christmas in 2020, and all three make up a really cool decoration.

• Thumbs Up 6

Dreadknux

Spin Slasher was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Blue - Participated in one Question of the Week activity' and 5 points.

The Interesting Sonic Merch I own might be a Sonic themed 5 piece Twin Bed Set from Franco MFG CO and I really like it because it will make me sleep a lot more and that is what sonic merch that I have alongside with the socks, the t-shirts and the Sonic 2 Movie Happy Meal Toys.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

Dr. Mechano was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I actually don't own a ton of mass-produced Sonic merch. I did get this Eggman plush as a present, though, and it sits proudly on my shelf!

unknown.png

This one stretches the definition of "merchandise," but years ago @SchemingMinorcommissioned a painting from AoStH's own Milton Knight as a gift when I graduated from college.

unknown.png

I still treasure this piece of art to this day. A truly thoughtful gesture, and it's art from the man behind AoStH Robotnik himself.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 3

Dreadknux

Celestia was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Sadly the only merch I have is a shirt and, if it counts, the Sonic Colours pre-order hat...neither of which I can find, otherwise I'd maybe take a picture or something lol.

sonichat530.jpg.cf.jpg

...This thing is always even more silly than I remember it being.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

WanderingBleats was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I don't have a whole lot of what I'd generally consider "merch." Of what I do own, this is probably the most interesting:

eggclock.jpg.fb43617a74d7e39e8269fc98e2765b9a.jpg

It's an Eggman clock from the SegaSonic merchandise line. Apparently it's from November 1995, and I think it was a UFO Catcher prize originally if I'm reading correctly. I knew none of this history until I looked it up just now. I have no idea how rare it actually is. I just knew it looked cool and I wanted it! So I obtained it with the help of a friend.

That is my story.

• Thumbs Up 5

Dreadknux

Iko was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Sadly I don't have any Sonic merchandise. I have a Kirby OST disk (Triple Deluxe, I love it), a Smash Bros OST, a few Mario things, but nothing of Sonic, too bad.

Well there is one thing, but technically it's not mine. A friend had a Sonic Tiger LCD game, this one precisely (the photo is not mine, I found it on the web, I hope it still counts).

00screenshot.png

When he moved to Australia, he decided to lend all his childhood videogames to me so I could keep them safe, including the Tiger Electronics Sonic game. It wasn't an actual gift, he still owns them, I'm just doing him a favor.

It is still functional but it's a bit damaged, with a dent on the screen and the big yellow button can't be pressed anymore (it works but the rubber is ruined and it doesn't bounce back as you press it), and overall the figures on the LCD are hard to see even with a new battery.

The bad thing is that, for some reason, I can't find it... I have all the stuff of my friend except this game, I must have put it somewere in my home, I'll find it sooner or later... in case I won't, I already found it on eBay and I'll buy another one for him (maybe in a better state too).

The game is a bit confusing but I still managed to finish it once. It has this sped-up version of a part of Marble Zone's music looping continuously, it can be annoying lol.

It doesn't have a box, but there is the (still a bit ruined) Italian instruction manual, I took some photos of it because there are some funny parts:

Spoiler

title.jpg.be914d7c255e9abb379ae6ac2f74ec3d.jpg

plot.jpg.37f686d77f66dd5cccbef27472203649.jpg

"The Dr. Ivo Robotnik, a mad scientist, is capturing all the innocent animals to transform them into evil robots! Only a real "tough guy" can put an end to this crazy criminal plan of the evil scientist: he's Sonic, the real "tough" Hedgehog with pointy hair and magical sneakers shoes which allow him to travel at super speeds!

Help Sonic to fight hordes of metallic monsters and do the Death loop* with him! The hardest quest that you have to face awaits you in a secret maze, where you will find yourself face to face with Dr. Robotnik in person! You will have to travel in the space, do the circle of the Death until you will lose your balance, save your friends animals and so become a super-hero! Be Sonic**! Be atomic!"

*I'm not sure if this is a correct translation, in Italian it's said "giro della morte" which literally means the loop of the death, it's referred to stuff such as when you fly in a vertical loop with an airplane, and the "death" is a reference to how risky or risky-looking the move is.

** Sonic here is used as an adjective, not as the name of the character (they used "Sonico" instead of "Sonic")... but it's still upper case, so it's likely a pun still.

It's interesting that they still claim that Sonic runs fast thanks to his magical sneakers, and that you have to travel in space when that's not even true (not in this game), but whatever.

zones.jpg.fd706e2f1e48d7c2dbb69f6b4b1d39c3.jpg

The Zone of the Green Hill, lol, they translated it in Italian!

The Zone of the Springs, I guess that one is supposed to be Spring Yard. Whatever, the Marble music will still play during all the game regardless.

"Schiantacervelli" is Scrap Brain lol... it means "Smashbrains" or something like this... in Sonic 1 Master System they called it "Cervelli in Frantumi" which means "Fragmented Brains", they couldn't find a better translation for this. Probably "Cervello Rottame" would have been a better translation.

badniks.jpg.de86c3ecaa20bed50357f5d2540dcd03.jpg

I'm surprised that they used the English names for the badniks, at least. "Cube of the Invincibility" though... also, the badniks are called "Assassin Robots" lol.

But after all my most treasured Sonic things are my cartridge of Sonic Advance 2 (I don't have a box nor the instruction manual because I got it used at a Gamestop sadly) and my Master System II with Sonic 1 8bit installed into the console. None of them are actually "merchandise" though, they're just regular games and consoles.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dreadknux

Eggman Fan was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I have own Sonic games, and that's it. I save my money for games.

Dreadknux

JezMM was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

These are the two treasures that sprang to mind first for me:

Picsart_22-06-16_14-12-16-275.jpg.bd26b0f942a81702ce62ece135e0b628.jpg

I have no idea when or where I obtained this sonic plush, but I've had it since I was about 6 or 7 I think. He's a real firm and satisfying little guy to give a cuddle. I've often encountered similar sonic plushies from this era that always looked a bit different from mine, so no idea what line he is or anything.

And the Sonic X soundtrack was my first unusual/unique piece of merch I got, possibly the first ever thing I went to the lengths to import because it wasn't getting a release over here (for obvious reasons). Was a bit of a disappointment in the end since it was missing so many tracks (and unlike what I imagined would be the case, it was up for download on various sonic fan sites before my copy even arrived) but I'm still happy to own it anyway.

Also, it's not really merch but I'd be remiss to not mention it since it's probably my most precious Sonic item in terms of actual objective value, and I obtained it via it being personally handed to me by Dreadknux himself!

No photo description available.

The original pencils for the Fleetway/Archie Summer of Sonic crossover art that Tracy and Nigel did for SoS 2011, which I was the lucky winner of in the raffle event!  Still find it hard to believe!  I'm fairly sure it's the only one-of-a-kind Sonic item I own, and frankly I'm just honoured to own such a thing at all.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Way Past Cool 1

Dreadknux

Multikaris was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I gotta give it to this one right here:

image.thumb.jpeg.e5a048eb9276c85d3f4c6a90e0a7c321.jpeg

This GE Rouge, right here, has helped me through thick and thin, even the toughest of times. When I was very ill after a long drive home where I heard unpleasant arguing all the way, complete with driving in circles? She and another doll even more precious to me (she’s in the back of the photo, but not in the back of my heart) cried in my stead. When my family was hit with a huge, unspeakable tragedy? I lost my appetite, and then had to sleep holding Rouge all night to try and take my mind off of it. Just because she’s a “bad guy” doesn’t mean she’s bad to have around. The story of how I got her is also heartwarming, I thought the way the modern era was treating her was unfair, and wanted a plush of her to make up for it. But the existing options were expensive… suddenly GE stepped in. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6facafe0d3ee5fd7ce4e95d049a40648.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Sega DogTagz was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I got a commissioned Drawing from Steven Butler.

Between him, Spaz and Axer - they were the biggest influences of my art growing up, so I cherish this sucker.

d7ouo23-26ceaf5b-e198-45ac-b16a-95156e2b

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Winston was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I sadly have no idea where it is since I've moved, but I do know that it's in one of my boxes around here somewhere. I'll just post a photo of it from Google if that's fine, but I find it funny and cool so I figured I'd go with this.

spacer.png

I think I only ever used this thing once in my entire life, but I had it mostly set up for decoration so when people would walk into my room they'd see a Sonic the Hedgehog CD player on my night stand. I got it in Toys R Us around 2011? I have no idea the year, but I think it was around 2009-2012. Anyway, it looked cool and I wanted Sonic merch. It's pretty stylish too honestly, I really like the DJ Sonic on the top and I like that it uses 2D artwork of the characters. If I ever find it, I'll put it out for decoration again. 

Dreadknux

Red was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Blue - Participated in one Question of the Week activity' and 5 points.

I have this Sonic plush I got from Sega World Sydney in Australia. I won tickets to go to the park ahead of its grand opening to the public, and before I left I was able to buy this Sonic plush that I've kept with me ever since! I love him.

received_904403600955747.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

NegaMix was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Blue - Participated in one Question of the Week activity' and 5 points.

Had to rummage around the house for a bit, since I... don't actually much Sonic merch. In fact, the only bits I do have are either in relation to - or bought from - Summer of Sonic events.

The first is a pair of Sonic plushes:

20220618_134353.jpg.f02ea6514bfc2e03247694f0adf110e8.jpg

want to say Shadow was bought during the 2012 SoS event, though I'm not entirely sure, but Sticks was definitely purchased at the 2016 event. Neither hold much significance to me personally, but they've kept my younger siblings entertained over the years, at least.

Now for the real good stuff, starting with a bag:

20220618_134751.jpg.ca191fc12194247723d6250932ec5806.jpg

I struggle to remember which SoS it was that I got this bag, but it's been my go-to for many years! Had a console or games I needed to sell? They went in this bag. College work? This bag. Heck, it was thanks to this that I got to meet some likeminded Sonic fans and friends over the years, so... yeah, it's been a significant part of my life, that's for sure. Kind of a shame it's starting to deteriorate, though.

Finally, no Summer of Sonic would be complete without some signed merch. And hoo-boy, did I go for some obscure choices!

20220618_133649.jpg.f1a31a75b44019af1932199722f52be4.jpg

Yes, I got Sonic 06 signed by Takashi Iizuka himself (as well as key members of Sumo Digital) and I'll never forget his reaction to it, either. I'm a madman.

But I always figured that, if I'm gonna have that game in the house, I might as well have a significant reason to keep hold of it. And at least I only gave him Sonic Rivals 2 to sign the following year. (No sign of the actual game, though. I've either lost or buried it, but I have it digitally on PS Vita/TV, so no biggie.)

• Promotion 1

Dreadknux

NikoS was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Question Hero Bronze - Participated in two Question of the Week activities' and 10 points.

For me, it would be my copy of the Planetary Pieces OST, I do love having my music in phisical format, be it CD's or vinyls, and this is the only original OST I have; Unleashed is one of my favorite games, and have one of my favorite OST's, having it in the shelf alongside my other CD's is something special ^_^

photo_2022-06-18_17-30-06.thumb.jpg.16bb4eda5f834483eb2910ab5c29a4db.jpg

Funny thing, the case have a Professor Pickle silhouette on the bottom for some reason

photo_2022-06-18_17-30-07.thumb.jpg.2c62b8d1e1a5a98b3056353f9161f522.jpg