Awoo.

DAY 20 - Music Track of the Week 3: 'Boss Themes' [30DOS22]

Dreadknux

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Cosmos Rogue was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

I'm going with the Sonic 2 boss theme here. It's just a super catchy, climatic theme to end each zone on. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Indigo Rush was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Evil demented Santa Claus disco is about the only way you can describe this

Boss music in Sonic ranges anywhere from goofy to intense, but this is one of the few that I'd consider to be 'psychotic' from start to finish. I love it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Dreadknux

castell-neath was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Each time I see Eggman, I still have the funky, happy, yet dramatic tones of Sonic 1 (Master System) in my head 30 years later. Has to be the best...surley? 

• Thumbs Up 8

Dreadknux

Dr. Detective was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

My favorite boss battle theme is, of course, The Court of Resignation from Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice. No, there are three that I really want to choose right now but I think the one I'm going to highlight at the top is this absolute club jumping delightful horror show of instruments. My body can't ever control itself when it gets to the height of it's beat.

It's a shame that this one often feels like it's never talked about a whole lot but that's usually okay because I get to feel special highlighting how good it is. 

That said, the other one I wanted to point out elicits a much darker tone and feels like something that should have probably come back or, at the very least, been replicated in a similar way.

The ones who managed to come up with a piece this hauntingly climactic deserve a reward. The music on the radio doesn't hold up. 

Shout out to "Suitable Opponent" from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I'll never forget hearing it play when Rouge drops down from the rafters and declares she's going to take the Emerald shards from Knuckles. I'll always cherish those moments of battling your rivals over pools of lava.

• Thumbs Up 7

Dreadknux

Sega DogTagz was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Doomsday Zone takes the cake here.

Its heavy on the guitar riffs and and absolute adrenaline rush in music form. Its got the foreboding start up and leans right into the high intensity intro that sets the stage for a fight with the fate of the world on the line. Its iconic and its something you'll never forget as a kid. The most epic boss music for the most epic boss in the history of the franchise.

Shout out to Big Arms remix for 3DS Gens too.

• Thumbs Up 8

Dreadknux

Nix was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

A lot of music in Colors gets overlooked because they play for about 10 seconds total, and it's honestly pretty criminal. While I think most of Sonic Colors Ultimate's soundtrack is a downgrade from the original, I will give some credit to this remix because it's a certified jam.

• Thumbs Up 7

Dreadknux

Stasis was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

It's always been a tough choice between this and Doomsday, but this one just takes the edge. It's deadly! The huge Death Egg mech comes in to view and you have the showdown of your life, barely being able to dodge the Master Emerald beam attack. Then upon defeat the floor begins to collapse, Robotnik makes a mad dash for it and you are in the position of stopping his escape while not falling to your doom. The music amplifies the drama and really sets the tone. 

Edit: Forgot about this gem too

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Adamabba was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

There's a lot of good options but I'll go with this: 

First time Crush 40 soundtrack made a track specifically for the final boss instead of using the main theme and they did a great job with it. One of their best Sonic tracks imo.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Zaysho was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I've been in an on-and-off SA2/Shadow kick this past month for whatever reason (I blame @Sean) so I have to give it up to "Supporting Me."

Probably just one of the coolest themes in this series and it ties in well with the story where Shadow comes around and does the right thing, and takes down his prototype in a showy fashion. Probably one of my favorite boss fights, actually.

• Thumbs Up 9

Dreadknux

Rabid-Coot was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Most of the track is solid but that opening really shouts hey its boss time.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Covskin was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Despite having never played the 3DS version, I have to agree with the Generations version of Big Arm. The adding of actual electric guitars and modern synth crank the track up to 11.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2

Dreadknux

StaticMania was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Blue - Participated in one Music Track of the Week activity' and 5 points.

This theme makes up for the boss. While this game has a lot of boss specific themes, this one being more of a character theme makes it stand out to me more. It really reflects Whiskers more than Johnny though.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 2

Dreadknux

Rabbitearsblog was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

This has always been my favorite boss theme from the franchise.  I just loved how dark and foreboding the soundtrack sounds and also how catchy it is!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

septimus01 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

All boss themes from Sonic Advance 3 are big favourites of mine and I think are quite underrated, the final one in particular.

The "Pinch" versions are pretty good too.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

qt.steeph was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

I’m surprised Dr. Eggman Showdown from Lost World hasn’t been chosen yet!

I’ve heard people say that Sonic Lost World is one of those games in the series where the soundtrack doesn’t necessarily feel very Sonic-like, but I feel this track in particular achieves that dramatic endgame Sonic feeling in a fantastic way! The way these gnarly, dirty guitars compliment these beautiful strings playing throughout the track paints such a vivid picture of urgency that fits the tone of a final boss fight stemming from betrayal so well. The only version I’ve had the chance to play Lost World in was the 3DS version and I haven’t really gone back to play it ever since it initially came out to be honest, so my memory of the game is a little hazy, but this song was just too good for me to ever forget!

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Iko was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

The competition is between the Crush 40 songs used as final boss themes in some games, the boss theme of Sonic 1 8bit (which has already been mentioned), and this...

offcourse this one is my favorite boss theme.

The track itself is good and goes hard, it really manages to express the tension of the situation. But that's not the only reason: the song is also connected with the music of the intro and ending cutscenes of the extra boss, and makes you feel like you are actually playing the cutscene... it's weird and hard to explain, but cutscenes and gameplay blend in an organic way and there's not much distinction, it's all one big sequence of events.

(Sadly I couldn't find a decent video without a blurry filter)

The extra boss of Sonic Advance 2 is also probably my personal most memorable moment in the Sonic series, and my favorite one too. On a side note, I always thought it was weird that Sonic had to grab Vanilla to save her, though at the end they still fell from the space anyway. I mean, in Sonic Adventure 2 Shadow was presumed dead for falling like that, and in the intro of Unleashed, Sonic does a big hole in the ground. Here he just lands gently while grabbing another person... it's weird... but still epic, one of the most heroic and thrilling moments in the franchise. If only Vanilla was even just half as skilled as her daughter, probably it would have been the opposite (she would have saved Sonic from falling by flying with her ears).

Another side note, the boss is like Doomsday Zone on steroids, it has similar mechanics but it's way more fast paced and flashy, and shorter too... you either lose fast, or win fast: it's a very intense moment, and my favorite Super Sonic boss in the series also gameplay-wise... a very good modernization of Doomsday Zone.

• Thumbs Up 7

Dreadknux

Winston was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

This is another tough choice, and really hard to pinpoint which song I absolutely love the best. Super Sonic vs. Perfect Dark Gaia in Sonic Unleashed is top tier, and Big Arms remix for Generations is another one that I contemplated choosing. I also really enjoy Solaris Phase 2, but I think I'm going to give Sonic Colors the win here with Vs. Nega-Wisp Armor (Phase 2).

For me, it often goes back and forth between Super Sonic vs. Perfect Dark Gaia and this as my favorite final boss music for the Sonic series, but I'm gonna go with this today as my favorite boss theme. I don't know what it is, but getting the main theme of a game remixed to be a bit more serious and dramatic for a final boss is always the most hype thing in the world to me, and I love that Sonic games do this quite often. This song out of context makes Colors seem like a much more serious game, but I love that about it. I guess it does take place right after Tails is pushed in the shuttle, so I guess it is a pretty dramatic part of the game. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Promotion 1

Dreadknux

FReaK was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

2 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Most of the track is solid but that opening really shouts hey its boss time.

This one! My favourite out of the classics, and favourite out of them all.

Fun Fact. This is also my Ringtone, when my wife calls. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Eggman Fan was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

Nothing feels me with dread like Death Egg Robot's theme. The alarms blaring at the start, the strictly robotic theme, and just the sheer power you can feel in this theme is perfect. My pick for the best boss theme, and maybe even best non-vocal theme in general.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Sean was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Yep I gotta go with SLW's final boss theme and it's not even close. This song goes harder than most final boss themes in the series tbh. Also special shout-out to the Deadly Six theme which is the only redeeming quality about those characters at all, their theme song rules pretty hard.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

JezMM was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Silver - Participated in three Music Track of the Week activities' and 15 points.

Dang, where do we even start with this category!  Naturally, my picks for best vocal song (Supporting Me) and best Crush 40 song (Live & Learn) from previous weeks both apply here to start with - by definition I guess it would be Supporting Me.  But other than that... well, I can't narrow it down to just one, so lemme do the best in each of the following categories:

"Regular" (Multiple Use) Boss Theme:

Man, this one just hypes me up. I love me a "cool" boss theme like this, and it helps that all of SRA's bosses are so fun to go along with such a kickass song.  I think Sonic Rush's Metal Scratchin' is more popular but honestly I think that's just Naganuma bias, though credit where it's due, this song, a straight upgrade as it may be in my opinion, probably wouldn't exist if they weren't deliberately looking to evoke a follow-up to the first game's boss theme with it.  Sonic CD JP's boss theme and Sonic Runners' Theory of Attack are close contenders for this spot with similar upbeat asskicking vibes.

"Unique" Boss Theme:

Ah Fumie Kumatani, between Supporting Me and this, you're so missed.  This song goes so hard for a first boss theme, I just adore how the mood of the song intensifies for that final bit towards the end of the loop at 1:43.  Sonic Generations' Big Arms would probably JUST edge this out actually if it hadn't already been mentioned.

"Main Theme Reprise" Final Boss Theme:

This might seem like a small category, but I'm including all the games that just play the main theme straight here too!  Anyway, 2006's final boss theme was super cool after years of the aforementioned behaviour with the main vocal themes, Unleashed took it even further with the wide variety of moods it covered (see @Ryannumber1gamer's post, I agree completely), but Colours did it best for me... actually, until recently I didn't even notice that the orchestra was as utterly synthisised as the other two.  I won't lie, it's the original bit at 2:22 that gets me - I love me some dramatic, minor key final boss stuff.  It sucks so much that Colours Ultimate managed to ruin that bit - just sounds muddy and crowded somehow.  A close second on this one for me would be Sonic Advance 3's final boss theme, and naturally, as mentioned, Live & Learn is king for this category in terms of straight-up vocal song usage.

Original Final Boss Theme:

Here's my "I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned yet" pick!  What an absolute tune, some of Tee Lopes' finest work.  The boss itself may have been a bit iffy, but this song single-handedly makes sure Mania goes out on a high.  Close-seconds here for me are Big Swell from Sonic Rush Adventure and Vs Mega Death Egg Robot from Sonic Forces.  Both fantastic original tracks, and Forces' in particular somehow manages to FEEL like a triumphant reprise song even though it just... isn't!  I dunno how Ohtani pulled that off but it's very cool.

And finally... the personal nostalgia mention:

As mentioned, this was my first Sonic game, so of course I'm fond of this theme.  Sonic 2 is one of the few games in the series to lack a unique theme for the final boss, and when I finally reached the true ending in my teenage years, this fact disappointed me at first.  But honestly, I made peace with that fact over time - it's one of those boss themes that is meanacing enough to fit both regular and final boss contexts nicely in the end I think (as oppose to say, Sonic 1 8-bit's boss theme, which is a bit too whimsical and jolly.  Likewise, even my top pick of regular boss theme above, Sonic Rush Adventure, would also be an unfitting final boss theme, so just being a good song isn't all it takes for this unique kind of boss theme praise).

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1

Dreadknux

TheOcelot was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Music Hero Bronze - Participated in two Music Track of the Week activities' and 10 points.

I really like Cosmic Angel's boss music in Sonic Advance. Makes the fight feel tense which compliments Eggman as he moves menacingly from the left to right-first slowly and then much faster with only a few hits remaining.

I adore CD's Jp boss music which is so...funky. The ultimate chill boss music. Work that funky pitch come on now!

• Thumbs Up 6