Awoo.

The Sonic Origins Spoilers Thread

DaBigJ

Yeah, despite this being digitally only, it appears someone has access to the game via PS5 preload.

So i'm just gonna go ahead and make this thread. How do I know this is a leak? We haven't seen that frame of the opening animation yet. 

Huge thanks to Sonic Retro for pointing this out. Will try to update thread if/when more info comes out.

• Thumbs Up 4

I love that shot of Eggman and Knuckles. We never got to actually see them teaming up in the original game, so this is pretty cool!

Looking forward to seeing more of these scenes.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Another thing pointed out on Retro, Origins got a patch in May 

https://orbispatches.com/en/CUSA30449

So it's likely the game went "gold" that very month.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I love that shot of Eggman and Knuckles. We never got to actually see them teaming up in the original game, so this is pretty cool!

Looking forward to seeing more of these scenes.

I agree, it's so cool and badass. I'm so glad we get material like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

Loving that video's thumbnail! Both for showing Amy engaging in her tarot card hobby and for confirming Sonic CD has more than just the original FMVs!

Also, now I know for sure that Newtrons and Caterkillers have their names unchanged in Spanish :P

Its funny that despite these games being decades old, they managed to find a way to make it spoilable. It'll be out in a few days, so that's not so bad. Very curious about the remade Sonic 3 music though, may sneak a peek at that.

• Thumbs Up 4

All new animations.

We actually see Tails getting bullied, for once. Also 3&K's opening has Eggman land right in Hidden Palace, which...I don't really like? I get doing it for time and clarity's sake here, there probably wasn't a better way of doing it under these conditions, but having him plopped right down at his objective and still taking almost the entire game to make his move feels a bit off compared to the original where I felt he was searching for it the whole time. The evil Sonic and Tails in his story are pretty cool though.

Also another video shows the in-game transition between 3 and &K has been expanded a bit. And that the Big Arm fight is in.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Also another video shows the in-game transition between 3 and &K has been expanded a bit. And that the Big Arm fight is in.

YES! They did the Sonic 3 Complete thing (putting the S&K title screen Death Egg fall between Launch Base and Mushroom Hill)! So glad to see that, was always something I wished AIR did by default without modding.

• Thumbs Up 1

The new version of CN sounds like complete wank. IC & LB sound okay. Feels like Jun has taken inspiration from the PC versions rather than the proto-versions.

Full playthrough of S3:

The Super theme has been remixed and you can cancel Super Sonic!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Well, as a long time SONIC fan, I'm a bit disappointed by the new cutscenes : for instance, nothing about Sonic finding a small ring on the beach with some ancient characters carved on it from SONIC 3's Japanese manual...
But even if it is not shown, it can still have happened!!...

The scene with Tails and the two red animals hurting him feels more SONIC X than SONIC 2's Japanese manual...

And so on...

And fears appear to be true : It will be harder to insert 8-bit games in the chronology... even if it is still possible!!...

My favourite scene is the one showing the six then seven Chaos Emeralds flying to West Side Island!!...

Interesting:

NOTE: Audio for the Origins version was recorded via PlayStation 5's built-in capture function, while the BETA version was rendered using a VGZ player. The difference in recording methods makes volume and fidelity in this video a little more exaggerated. Sonic Origins finally brings back the Sonic 3 & Knuckles experience to modern consoles, but there have been a couple of audio changes to a few of the stages. Carnival Night Zone now features a soundtrack that fans last heard from the 'November 1993' Sonic 3 Beta - only this time, touched up and finalised by series music director Jun Senoue. Here, we compare the Beta version with the finished product.

It's strange how Act 1 sounds so much more like the MIDI version but Act 2 sounds like a good mix of the MIDI and Beta track. Also, Ice Cap seems to have largely been untouched.

Thank god the Super Sonic theme is an actual theme and not just a 5-second loop. 

The remixed prototype tracks aren't bad at all, but the differences between Carnival Night in the prototype and new versions is bizarre. My only real hang-up.

6 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

Interesting:

Jack Dorsey On Twitter: 'Look How They Massacred My Boy' - Benzinga

Just yuck. I'll hold off final judgement until I hear these tracks in game, but idk how CN Act 1 gets much better regardless. The rest of the tracks are mostly fine (even CN Act 2) but good lord that Act 1 mix sucks. Loses all the energy and pop of the proto track. And as for the super theme, if I'm not mistaken, it uses the Sonic 1/2 drum samples? Why? IMaybe we just need to stop getting Jun to do these Genesis style tracks lol.... *sigh* really disappointed man

• Thumbs Up 1

Ahhh this such a shame - it actually sounds like the soundtrack has just been "muted/muffled" somewhat compared to the prototypes - is this an effect of the recording method on PS5?

In general, the weirdest thing with these is that they don't match the quality of the other tracks in the game in general anyway - but they had the potential to be great. I mean... where are all the layers to these musical pieces? And that new super theme is pretty dire as well which is unfortunate - not helped that it doesn't loop around very well. 

I love Jun's work on the 3D titles, but his 2D work his wildly inconsistent for my tastes and this is not where it should be at. It comes across as trying to be a little bit too faithful but going in the wrong direction. This was always a worry of mine after Sonic 4 Episode 1, and it looks like the work should have gone to Tee Lopes instead IMO.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is... what is the soundtrack option that I paid for in the deluxe edition? It's not just a glorified sound test extra right? It does give you the option to switch soundtracks in game right?... Riiight?

Non soundtrack related - I think they overstated the (paid?) "3D view of the islands" as it appears to be zoom and pan only. 

I've been laughing at the mission mode consisting of copy pasted boxes just like Forces' extra missions for the past 5 minutes now lol

• Absolutely 1
  • Too Many Rings 3

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

They forgot to remove the foreground Death Egg once the platform disconnects so now we have two Death Eggs falling

• Chuckle 3

9 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

Why are there two Death Eggs falling and not just the one platform?

You could chalk this up to being Death Egg debris I suppose... but it does come across as more of an error that the top element of the layer just wasn't removed when the rest goes down / pans. 

On the plus... as mentioned already they kept in Big Arms at least, and I like they added in Eggman flying off towards the Death Egg though, this is a nice touch.  

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Supah Berry said:

They forgot to remove the foreground Death Egg once the platform disconnects so now we have two Death Eggs falling

Not only that, but eggman seems to have clipped through the pole on the platform. 😆😆😆

S3 competition Mode:

The proto music sounds good. As suspected Time-attack gets the full screen but GrandPrix & MatchRace are squished:

Blue Sphere:

Mission Mode:

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, TheOcelot said:

S3 competition:

The proto music sounds good. As suspected Time-attack gets the full screen but GrandPrix & MatchRace are squished:

glad that the proto Comp theme is left intact and in great shape, but it also sounds almost exactly the same as the proto version.... almost as if they just put the proto track in the game as it was. this, of course, begs the question as to WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST DO THAT FOR THE REST OF THE PROTO TRACKS THEN!?

• Thumbs Up 2