Awoo.

The Sonic Origins Spoilers Thread

DaBigJ

Am I seeing things or is Sonic's walk cycle in Sonic 1 in Origins different?

2 hours ago, Natie said:

After like 6 hours of seeing extreme vitriol and mean spirited memes, actually listening to the tracks in full quality, they sound fine?

Inferior, yes, but nothing worth this reaction.

Pretty much sums up the scenario present on SSMB at the moment.

They overall aren't really bad.

I would like to take a moment to torture you all.

Seriously though, listening to this, I still like it a lot, but something about this seems...off. Doesn't this not sound like an actual Sonic 3 and Knuckles tune in some way, or all ways? This barely sounds like Genesis music, let alone Sonic 3 and Knuckles music to me.

7 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

Seriously though, listening to this, I still like it a lot, but something about this seems...off. Doesn't this not sound like an actual Sonic 3 and Knuckles tune in some way, or all ways? This barely sounds like Genesis music, let alone Sonic 3 and Knuckles music to me.

Overall it sounds fine, but I can definitely get it sounding out of place.

It's because it's using the snare, drum and other music effects from Sonic 1 and 2 which are quite different from Sonic3K's music format.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Overall it sounds fine, but I can definitely get it sounding out of place.

It's because it's using the snare, drum and other music effects from Sonic 1 and 2 which are quite different from Sonic3K's music format.

Yeah, I know. I didn't say it wasn't fine, though, it is fine in fact. But I couldn't help but notice things like the Sonic 1/2 drums being used.

9 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

Tfw I actually thought this was a parody video. 45 bucks, my guy. Now imagine being someone who considers the music a BIG part of the whole gameplay experience being told you're "overreacting" 🤦‍♂️ If you don't think the audio department is that important in a game, that's fine, but please don't act like the people who didn't enjoyed what SEGA did here are just complaining for the sake of complaining. 

16 minutes ago, Jango said:

Tfw I actually thought this was a parody video. 45 bucks, my guy. Now imagine being someone who considers the music a BIG part of the whole gameplay experience being told you're "overreacting" 🤦‍♂️ If you don't think the audio department is that important in a game, that's fine, but please don't act like the people who didn't enjoyed what SEGA did here are just complaining for the sake of complaining. 

Well,I would NOT say you are overreacting. In fact, I understand the complaints, and I can see why people would complain. No use in calling anyone overreacting to this here.

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

If you don't think the audio department is that important in a game, that's fine, but please don't act like the people who didn't enjoyed what SEGA did here are just complaining for the sake of complaining. 

Okay, can we not?

I get that you don't like the music, but going off on someone like that and claiming that they don't think that the audio department is important, implicitly because they don't have the problems you do with it, is going too far.

Heck, as a musical connoisseur and performer myself, I'm honestly fine with the music, save for Carnival Night Zone Act 1.

So no. Whether or not someone thinks the audio department is important to the game does not dictate whether they're fine with the music or not. And acting high and mighty about it doesn't help things either.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Okay, can we not?

I get that you don't like the music, but going off on someone like that and claiming that they don't think that the audio department is important, implicitly because they don't have the problems you do with it, is going too far.

Heck, as a musical connoisseur and performer myself, I'm honestly fine with the music, save for Carnival Night Zone Act 1.

So no. Whether or not someone thinks the audio department is important to the game does not dictate whether they're fine with the music or not. And acting high and mighty about it doesn't help things either.

Lmao no, bro. No one's going off on anyone. Just like when you said there was a general overreacting vibe going on here when Frontiers trailers dropped, no one said you we're going off on anyone.

1 minute ago, Jango said:

Lmao no, bro. No one's going off on anyone. Just like when you said there was a general overreacting vibe going on here when Frontiers trailers dropped, no one said you we're going off on anyone.

Then don't go overboard, claiming that someone doesn't care about the audio department because they might disagree with you. Unless you misspoke there, it just comes off as needlessly petty over videogame music of all things.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

I dislike this...

Only because of one reason, the slight extension does nothing to make it "feel" less repetitive.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, MightyGems said:

This reminds me. Please tell me there's a way to disable super sonic music as a whole for these games and have it play just the stage theme normally.

Video showing how to access level select for S1, S2 & 3K:

For S1 it's the same as in the original version (Up, Down, Left, Right, then press Square/X).

For S2 you have to enter the Knuckles in Sonic 2 level select code (Up, Up, Up, Down, Down  Down, Left, Right, Left, Right then press Square/X).

For 3K it's the original S3 level select code; (Up  Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up then press Square/X). Don't worry it's much easier to get this to work in Origins!

Spoiler

One of the pieces of art in the museum is this very interesting concept right here.

FVyPcTbWIAEIke-?format=png&name=orig

Now, if I'm not mistaken, this was never before seen up until now. It contains quite a lot of interesting designs.

Who's that hedgehog? Is that Knuckles to the right? Charmy? Vector? What about that rabbit?

Well, naturally, I wanted answers, so I found the video that revealed the art and used google translate to translate the image's description.

A conceptual sketch of the Sonic family

So was Sonic planned to have a family? Is the Hedgehog in the center related to Sonic? I really hope we're able to find out more about this art piece one day, it's so interesting.

In regards to the Museum, and one bit of art in particulae.

It says that for the previous image too though, which is Sonic's family from the old mangas.

I'm quite surprised that the Combine Ring was originally planed for CD. I mean, it's been known that a Blue Ring monitor was unused in the game for while, but them polishing up the concept for usage in Knuckles' Chaotix very interesting. It makes me wonder why they cut it from CD in the first place.spacer.png

Does the music in the Premium Collection do anything or is it just there to listen to? I am so psyched they've included the Generations remixes and want to put them in the games. Especially that Big Arms remix.

21 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

The ending cutscene where Eggman chases the heroes through a city is interesting:

unknown.png 

That's a silhouette of a human, not a Sonic animal person. So this city is likely on one of the big continents, not one of the little islands where the animals usually live. Could this final scene be of Station Square? Maybe an implied link from the classic era to the Adventure era? I know the characters still have their classic designs here, but we could always say this was slightly before everyone slightly changed their appearances. 

I was thinking the same thing. It's certainly possible since one of Sonic's idle quotes ("This area sure has changed a lot.") in Sonic Adventure implies Sonic has been to Station Square in the past. The Japanese strategy guide also implies this:

A shadow running through the glittering night scene. Overtaking cars on the highway, running down the walls of buildings and standing atop a pole is … yes, the world’s fastest hedgehog, everyone’s hero, Sonic the Hedgehog! He had just returned to the inhabited urban city after a long ascetic training journey. And then. A loud siren came to Sonic’s ears. Whilst trying to track down the source of the sound, Sonic encountered a mysterious liquid life form called “Chaos”.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, josiahblaze said:

I'm quite surprised that the Combine Ring was originally planed for CD. I mean, it's been known that a Blue Ring monitor was unused in the game for while, but them polishing up the concept for usage in Knuckles' Chaotix very interesting. It makes me wonder why they cut it from CD in the first place.spacer.png

Well, I for one am -hugely- thankful they did not go through with adding this. I could not -stand- this mechanic in Knuckles Chaotix (or the gasme in general because of that and the level design), it just brings the pace to a repetitive stop-and-start loop that just brings the pace of the game to a crawl, antithetical to both Sonic in general, and the time mechanic CD has which requires you to -maintain- your speed for a duration to time travel.

I remember a post somewhere that had codes for the CD bonuses, so they're in the game. I'll try to find it.

9 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

In the 2011 version you had to get a low enough time across all stages in time-attack to unlock soundtest, stage select & visual mode. However, debug mode wasn't in the 2011 version.

3 minutes ago, TheOcelot said:

In the 2011 version you had to get a low enough time across all stages in time-attack to unlock soundtest, stage select & visual mode. However, debug mode wasn't in the 2011 version.

Except it was?

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly prefer the new Super Sonic theme only because its not a 6 second loop 

• Thumbs Up 1

It sucks major ass that we're getting the bad Sonic 3 songs.

The "new" Icecap Zone, and Launch Base Zone songs are fucking garbage. Carnival Night Zone is passable.

Music matters. Changing just one song can ruin the feel of a game. One of my favorite games is Donkey Kong Country 3. I remember getting the GBA version, and being disappointed cause they changed the entire soundtrack. This is a very big deal. People should be more upset.