Awoo.

DAY 21 - Fan Game Favourites 3: '2D Fan Games' [30DOS22]

Dreadknux

It's Tuesday! Time for some Fan Game Favourites!

Fangame Blue.png Fangame Bronze.png Fangame Silver.png

You know the drill. If this is your first time, you earn a Blue badge. Second time, Bronze badge. Third time, Silver badge. You have until the end of the month to participate!

Fan Game Favourites

2D Fan Games

This one should be easy - what's the best 2D Sonic Fan Game you've ever played and why?

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Indigo Rush was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

Without a doubt, Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit! It commits to the aesthetic full-stop and feels like a lost Genesis game. Unlike 2D fangames like Before/After the Sequel or Sonic Classic, the controls and physics are spot on to the point that you swear it's an advanced romhack. 

I am dying to see this one fully released, and I'll sing it's praises. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

JezMM was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

Triple Trouble is a close second, but for me, it's Chaos:

Sonic Chaos

As a general preference, I prefer the "Mania aesthetic" rather than the "S3&K" aesthetic (even though I'd say the latter of those two is the better game overall).  The music is probably a huge part of it - love those Tee Lopes-esque compositions they've come up with so far.  I also prefer Chaos to Triple Trouble in their original states, again, especially in terms of music (but also zone tropes etc), so it's the remake that excites me more in that sense too.

In terms of completed projects, I can't say one has ever been so great for me that I've gone back to it multiple times, but of the ones I've played, I think I had the most fun with Sonic After the Sequel.  It has a lot of weird little stuff to it that makes it feel like it could never be an official product - but I had a great time with it.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Ducktor Naldush was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Blue - Participated in one Fan Game Favourites activity' and 5 points.

No question, it's Sonic 3D in 2D by Sotaknuck.

A fully completed reimagining of Sonic 3D as a 2D (eh) game linking that game to Sonic Adventure. New boss battles, imaginative levels and tons of unlockables, especially characters. 

It also contains probably one of my favourite boss battles in the series, that you can actually make even more challenging if you finish the game and go back to it later down the road.

There are some people out there saying that "it's too difficult" or "it has bad level designs" and stuff like that but honestly I don't see it. I know that saying "practice with the game and get good" is not seen as a polite thing to suggest anymore, but it is what it is. It's nice having a game that doesn't hold your hand all the way through from time to time, that's my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Peter Ghostal CC14 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Blue - Participated in one Fan Game Favourites activity' and 5 points.

My experience with fan games is very limited as I mostly played them on my parents' desktop back in High School and I haven't really given them much mind since. As such, my pick is suitably old school, that being Sonic: Time Attacked. Everything about this game just impressed me compared to a lot of the others I downloaded back in the day. The fancy animated cutscenes, the very different Sonic sprites, the inclusion of a bunch of Adventure-era elements like rail-grinding, it just really stood out in 2005's sea of hacks and more basic Sonic takes. I'm not sure how it is these days and I didn't play much of it (I didn't have much patience for desktop games,) but I thought I'd at least give it a tip of the hat for one of these fan game posts.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Dr. Mechano was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

I haven't played too many 2D fangames yet.

But I've gotta second Sonic 3D in 2D.

unknown.png 

It does an amazing job of reimagining 3D Blast's zones as traditional Sonic levels. 

I honestly had a great time playing it, and enjoyed its attempts to link the classic era to the Adventure era with little visual nods here and there. 

I definitely recommend playing it.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Cuz was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Bronze - Participated in two Fan Game Favourites activities' and 10 points.

I love Galactic's style. The title screen alone with the road trip aesthetic is charming. The zone's feel well balanced not to long or over done. Tunnel's cute as oc's go.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

castell-neath was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

It has to be Ultimate Sonic Flash for me. I stumbled on the game in 2007 when living in South America. Not having a console nor having played the Advance games after the move, I thought it was ace with some great ideas and tricky bosses too!! I never knew until i came back to the uk many years later that it was a rip off of advance! 

I soon showed it off to my pupils as a handy time killer and I just remember the whole class playing on it when I took them to the ICT lab for a research investigation on the Yalta / Potsdam conferences. Sufice to say I just laughed, left them to it and thought it a lesson well taught! Lol

• Thumbs Up 7

Dreadknux

Ryannumber1gamer was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

I’ve got to echo Ultimate Flash Sonic…although it probably doesn’t help that it’s the only one I’ve played lol.

Ultimate Flash Sonic is super nostalgic for me, it was one of the games that in my primary school, almost everyone would be trying to track down within flash game sites that wasn’t flagged by the block on non-educational sites to play it, along with other flash games. As someone who’d only played Rush and Advance 2 mainly at the time, with a slight touch of Advance 3, I thought it was so insanely awesome being able to play it. When I found out that there was a cheat that let you play as Shadow and Amy? You can be damn sure I used it every time to play as Shadow.

You see, as someone who had Heroes as their very first game, I was able to go in Advance 2 and 3, “oh, there’s Amy! There’s Cream! There’s Sonic, Tails and Knuckles!”, yet Shadow was a notable omission despite being like Sonic, so when I unlocked him in Ultimate Flash Sonic, it was like “oh there he is!”.

Back then, I was too young to be able to understand the idea of a fan game, I just thought this was another Sonic game. Which to be fair, given how insanely high quality Ultimate Flash is in replicating Advance 2 in flash, I don’t think I can be blamed for that lol. I actually never knew it ended after Ice Paradise, since I’d often die during that zone (which was similar to my experience on GBA where I’d either die in Ice Paradise or Music Plant). I remember getting past it once only to be confused where Music Plant was.

Still, fun nostalgic fan game. And pretty much the only choice I’ve got since it’s the only one I actively played lol.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Muscles Maximum was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

As a lover of Sonic Advance I'd have to give it to Sonic Advance Revamped.

The game still isn't complete, with just a demo available. But it takes Sonic Advance, makes it feel more like the classics, with widescreen, and super smooth 60 fps. There's hidden elemental shields, added extra characters like Shadow and Blaze and gives them their own unique movesets, and there's also plans to add a mission mode with the Chaotix playable which is HUGE for me. I played this very demo a ton back when it first came out. Unfortunately there hasn't been an update on this project as far as I'm aware. Here's hoping this project gets completed at some point.

I highly recommend checking it out regardless!

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Tornado was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

2 hours ago, Raging Cajun CC14 said:

My experience with fan games is very limited as I mostly played them on my parents' desktop back in High School and I haven't really given them much mind since. As such, my pick is suitably old school, that being Sonic: Time Attacked. Everything about this game just impressed me compared to a lot of the others I downloaded back in the day. The fancy animated cutscenes, the very different Sonic sprites, the inclusion of a bunch of Adventure-era elements like rail-grinding, it just really stood out in 2005's sea of hacks and more basic Sonic takes. I'm not sure how it is these days and I didn't play much of it (I didn't have much patience for desktop games,) but I thought I'd at least give it a tip of the hat for one of these fan game posts.

Time Attacked is the fucking shit. It's not fantastic to play anymore; but in the context of 2005 where 90% of the non-SRB2 fan games were Flash based shit (and anything remotely more impressive than that made it two levels into development before being abandoned) it was a fucking quantum leap.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

werehog98 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Blue - Participated in one Fan Game Favourites activity' and 5 points.

I think my favorite 2D fan game is Sonic Uprising. I love the sprite and work and the animation looks smooth and amazing, the game also feels really nice to play.

Edited by werehog98
I thought it said just fangames not 2D fangames

Dreadknux

Cosmos Rogue was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

I'm going to second Sonic Chaos, just because it's the fan game that got me into fan games entirely. I hope that a finished version sees the light of day eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Spin Slasher was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Bronze - Participated in two Fan Game Favourites activities' and 10 points.

I really do not like Fan-games but I like a lot of Classic 2D Sonic Fan-games, and One of my favourite Classic sonic games might be Ultimate Flash Sonic, and it is a cool game in my opinion and I wanna see a remake of it on HTML5 and Scratch. 

Dreadknux

Solister was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Bronze - Participated in two Fan Game Favourites activities' and 10 points.

This really puts into perspective how off I am from the recent Sonic fan games releases.

Although I'm genuinely surprised no one has mentioned Sonic Before and After the Sequels yet, I couldn't really vote for them because I never finished them, if even played them for more than 30 minutes.

However, I'm equally impressed no one mentioned this one yet:

800px-S2HDTitleJan2011.png

I think the game speaks for itself. I bet everyone here already played it, despite it does feel a bit of cheating to choose such an unfinished fan game. Regardless, I'd say it's one, if not the fan game I've ever seen with the biggest potential. Imagine if Origins not only included the ports, but also an HD mode with this same team?

Sonic-2-HD-2017-9-30-10-20-40-14.png

Unfortunately, this game has been on and off, and sometimes I question myself if I'll ever see this game complete in my lifetime. Fortunately, I think for now it's still active despite the last update has been almost 5 years ago.

Not for less, Tee Lopes himself has once been involved with the project, so it's definitely worth checking out if you still haven't.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dreadknux

Celestia was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

So as far as completed 2D fan games go the best I've played is Time Twisted...NOT to be confused with Time Attacked.

It was in development for over a decade(!) and came out in 2017, and ultimately it's a pretty solid experience. Having to collect the Emeralds AND Time Stones may sound daunting but you can retry special stages via 1ups, so it honestly wasn't that bad at all. It being a sort of sequel to CD is another point in it's favour for me but for what it's worth I think people who didn't like CD could possibly like this game. Namely it doesn't really have CD style level design, lol.

I actually need to replay it at some point since it's been a while, but the only other completed games that came to mind are BTS/ATS, which are cute and all but are a bit too straightforward level design wise for my tastes...but then again the music is godly.

As for anticipated games I need more people to know and talk about NEWTROGIC PANIC

IT LOOKS SO COOL. Crucially for a game they're describing as a Treasure-inspired boss rush, the bosses look pretty fun and exciting. I'm curious how big the levels are going to be actually if the bosses are the focus...

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Dreadknux

Iko was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

I used to love Felik's fangames, Sonic Fusion and Sonic Neo Genesis.

They have some interesting gimmicks and the level design is very creative.

I remember that Sonic Fusion also had some side modes which added multiplayer races, other characters (I remember Blaze with a boost), and stuff like wisps, even if they were not part of the main game. There was also a recreation of Splash Hill from Sonic 4. I liked especially Knuckles' moveset, grabbing and launching enemies and punching the ground to cause explosions, it was interesting.

Sonic Neo Genesis existed before Mania, and was impressive.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Stasis was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

It's been so long since I've touched any fan games but 

I can't remember what happens in which but both Before and After The Sequel were fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

WanderingBleats was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

My favorite 2D Sonic fangame? It's...

LigdqBn.png

The Eggman('s) Adventure 2, by Dr. Mechano! No, this is not a joke answer. Yes, I am entirely biased. But regardless of my reasons, this is my favorite! It is unfortunately not finished yet, and there's no public demo out.

It's a sequel to a game he made when we were both very young teenagers. It's an RPG Maker game, with an entirely standard battle system, but that is fine by me because I love JRPGs. I still play the original Dragon Quest like every couple years or so. You don't need a lot of fancy gameplay mechanics to keep me interested, although good balance and interesting enemy encounters helps.

The story is that Eggman hears about a legendary treasure of great power on Fairy Island-- a chunk of Angel Island that broke off and fell into the ocean (based on the multiplayer Zones from Sonic 3). But the map to the treasure is stolen by another villain...

ShiLzge.png

Wendy Witchcart! Eggman ends up having to team up with a badly injured Flicky (whom he places in a Motobug shell, as she can no longer get around on her own) and Witchcart's own granddaughter to find the treasure. Each character has their own reasons for going after Witchcart, but they need to work together to succeed.

My favorite part of the game is the Special Stages, but I'm not going to spoil the surprise on those, in case he posts it (or a demo) publicly sometime in the future.

RPG Maker fan games get a bad reputation, especially those that use any default assets, but I think they're a lot of fun. A big part of fan content is engaging with a franchise or work you enjoy on a very personal level, right? So a fan game made by a good friend of mine has extra meaning to me. Something polished to perfection is a lot of fun. But this is something I have a personal connection to. That holds more meaning to me than even a perfect recreation of the classic games' physics and sense of level design ever could.

...just in case I absolutely must post a publicly available game, I guess I'll throw in Sonic 3CD & Knuckles & Knuckles, and yes, that is a joke answer.

This is a dreadful game. I hated every moment of it. It's stuffed with lazy memes, some of which I absolutely despise seeing for reasons ranging to personal discomfort with seeing them to just general distaste for the type of humor. The level design borders on non-existent, and the physics are a trainwreck. But you can finally play as Breakdancing Eggman, so I guess that overturns every complaint I have about it.

(And if I have to post an actually good publicly available fangame, then I'll just go with Retro Sonic, abandoned and unfinished though it is. Aside from its historical value, it was the first fan game I came across that really replicated the feel of classic Sonic, and that was mind blowing and eye-opening to me at the time.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Dreadknux

Eggman Fan was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Bronze - Participated in two Fan Game Favourites activities' and 10 points.

ultimate flash sonic. I do not need to explain.

Dreadknux

John43 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Blue - Participated in one Fan Game Favourites activity' and 5 points.

One of the first Fan games I played was Sonic Overture. Anybody remember this one? Cited as a prequel to Sonic 1 and going hard on the soundtrack and 32bit graphics. I still listen to the soundtrack today while making my own fan game. It’s a shame this one never got completed but I hope it gets picked up again one day. I love how it used stuff from early concept art and making the rabbit character an NPC also

8F034E94-7E47-4CFB-A280-1FE767F4BD2D.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

Dreadknux

Plumbers_Helper was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Blue - Participated in one Fan Game Favourites activity' and 5 points.

Definitely have to give it to Sonic Time Attacked, probably the one fan game that I've put the most time into. I loved the original sprite work, that cheesy 3D effect of the badnik parts flying towards the screen when you defeat them is still awesome, the grinding mechanic is still in my opinion the best implementation of the grinding mechanic in a 2D Sonic game and the original music was really good for it's time especially Crystal Caverns theme. It's a shame that the fullscreen option in the game doesn't work on modern systems because I'd love to be able to play it again. It also reminds me of the old Sonic Fan Games HQ website, it's kind of disappointing that the site is little more then a forum now because I would spend many days going through the list of fan games they had available. Neo Sonic Universe, Sonic the Fast Revelation, all games that I probably played just as much as the official games at the time.

Nowadays I think Sonic Time Twisted is the best complete 2D Sonic fan game out there, even if I find the idea to make the story set in a alternate timeline where Eggman perishes at the end of Sonic 3 & Knuckles unnecessary and off-putting if I'm honest. Everything else from the music, graphics, physics, boss battles and level design are fantastic. I especially loved the feature that let you retry the Special Stages at the cost of a life and I'm happy to see a similar mechanic was added to Sonic Origins.

As for favorite "still in development fan game" I have to give it to Sonic XG just because it's been in development for almost 22 years now with the last playable demo being released in 2007. I still remember the hype when it was announced it was going to be a super fan game that also combined Taxman's Retro Sonic fan game and Sonic Nexus into one game. I know Egg Garden from Retro Sonic is going to be in the final game but I wonder if any of the planed levels from Sonic Nexus made it in?

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Winston was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Bronze - Participated in two Fan Game Favourites activities' and 10 points.

I don't typically play a whole lot of Sonic fan games, but Ultimate Flash Sonic is one of the few I played a ton. It helps that it would work on my PC's in school, so whenever I'd finish an assignment early, I'd almost always play it and then try to input cheatcodes to unlock certain things in the game. It was a lot of fun though, and to me, will always be one of the more fond things I remember from my years in grade school. I know a few have already said this is their favorite, but I can't think of anything else I've even played so here it is again, but it is a great game though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

NikoS was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

Sonic Time Twisted, a fan game in development for 10+ years, got completed and released, and I.. knew nothing about it

Got to play it, and, I was more than pleasantly surprised, great level design, great OST, cool level themes, plus time travel system without CD's weird (not bad, but CD's level design is something singular) level design, I enjoyed it way more than I expected it.

For someone who had only played before and after the sequel, it was a most welcome fresh air.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Multikaris was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

Hmm… can I discuss games that while being 2D, don’t really have the traditional Sonic gameplay?

In that case… I’m gonna nominate a pretty obscure one:

Man… this game has practically EVERYTHING: playable characters from multiple Sonic canons, varied boss battles, swarms of enemies, 2D and 3D belt-scroll stages, speed sections, Extreme Gear, and elaborate crossover levels better-handled than the SLW DLC stages were. The game’s creator has a… unique taste in the soundtrack, which may not be for everyone. You can even summon ally characters to help you out.