Awoo.

DAY 21 - Fan Game Favourites 3: '2D Fan Games' [30DOS22]

Dreadknux

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Nix was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

I honestly need to shore up my knowledge on 2D side of fan games. I guess the 3D side has always been more enticing to me since Sonic hasn't really done 3D super well and it's cool to see how many different fans try to approach it.

But, I think a project like Sonic Advance Revamped is really cool to see. The Advance games are overlooked most of the time (ok I understand why you might overlook Advance 3), and it's just kind of cool to see those games get the kind of love that the Classic titles get. It's feels criminal playing Sonic games on the GBA's tiny screen given all the stuff you need to dodge at high speeds, and simply having a larger field of view alone would make the project worthwhile.

I'm also slowly making my way through Sonic Time Twisted on the Xbox, and it's pretty cool to be able to play these kind of games on a console. It's a neat follow-up to Sonic CD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Sean was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

Honestly this question's pretty tough for me because there's just so many 2D fangames that were never completed at all lol. Well, Sonic Dimensions is another one of those, but it's fairly meatier than your average 2D Sonic game demo and I played it for the first time a couple weeks back. Aside from the extremely obnoxious usage of Jason clips (which I wish fans would STOP DOING in their fangames), it's a great take on the Advance 2/Rush formula and I feel like if it had been finished it could even have ended up better than those games.

Sonic Time Attacked and Sonic Time Twisted are also both really cool, the former mostly for how much of a game changer it was for the fangaming scene at the time, and the latter because it's just a really solid Sonic CD-like with some great music and visuals.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Strickerx5 was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Bronze - Participated in two Fan Game Favourites activities' and 10 points.

ManiUltimate Sonic Flash.

I admittedly haven't played too many fan games in the 2D category (3D ones often just catch my eye more). Should probably get around to changing that.

Dreadknux

Mr. Ion was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Bronze - Participated in two Fan Game Favourites activities' and 10 points.

I know it's a one-act demo right now (new content coming soon though), but Sonic Galactic has always stood out to me. The sprite work is beautiful and detailed, and Tunnel is a really good new fan character. Simple, but with a good ability and an art style that fits the other characters. The sprite animations themselves are expressive, and just the general presentation (and the music, for that matter) is great. The stages are big and there's a lot to do, playing off of your speed and momentum is a lot of fun. It's generally just a short little fan game I like to come back to.

I guess other than that, Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit is a great experience, and the new Sunset Park level was a lot of fun to play through last SAGE.

Dreadknux

Sonictrainer was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

I'm also going to go with Sonic Chaos

cover-image

This was one of my favorite Game Gear games growing up and seeing it get a Sonic Mania style update was amazing! :D

Dreadknux

Sternosaur was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Blue - Participated in one Fan Game Favourites activity' and 5 points.

Hello 😄 out of all the 2d Sonic fan games, assuming SRB2 doesn't count because it uses 2d images to make a sudo 3d game, I'm going to have to go with Sonic Smackdown.  As a kid the gamecube was my first console that I was able to actually start buying games for myself, and so I made it my mission to get every sonic game that came out for gamecube at the time.  I continued this trend until I got a ps3 and got burned by Sonic 06 and didn't preorder another Sonic game until Sonic Mania.  Sonic Gems introduced me to Sonic the Fighters, and I always wanted a sequal to Sonic Battle, but that game never came.spacer.png

Before Sonic Smackdown there was countless MUGEN compilations that pit Sonic and friends against each other.  I would enjoy just seeing what fan characters people put in or seeing what stages and themes people picked, because something about using Sonic Advance and Sonic Battle sprites for MUGEN just didn't feel right to me.  The title for the best Sonic fighter fan game belonged to Sonic Battle LEN for the longest time, but nothing comes close to Sonic Smackdown.  It just oozes polish and honestly if someone put this in front of me and told me *they finally made a new sonic fighting game* I wouldn't have questioned it.

• 2 weeks later...
Dreadknux

RosaRosaRosalina was awarded the badge '[30 Days of Sonic 2022] Fan Game Hero Silver - Participated in three Fan Game Favourites activities' and 15 points.

DAY 21

And now for something completely different.

RobloxScreenShot20220426_212549949.png

This is Classic Sonic Simulator, a 2D fan game... on Roblox of all places. Roblox isn't really known for being a 2D game as much as it is a 3D one, but what VyrissDev, the creator of the game, has achieved is nothing short of phenomenal. 

RobloxScreenShot20220710_181332895.png

You're given a few premade levels to run around through and play, and its engine is a pretty spot-on recreation of the original trilogy's own. But it's major selling point is that you can make your own levels using chunks from the games themselves! I even managed to make my own... though it's not all that great. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Sonic level design.

RobloxScreenShot20220710_182354909.png

Go on ahead and give it a play here! Classic Sonic Simulator V10 - Roblox