Awoo.

SAD THREAD: I don't feel like I have anywhere I belong on the Internet anymore...

SolidSurgeTT

The communities I do frequent are basically vestigial remnants of their former days, most people having moved off of them, and the places they have moved to (probably Facebook and Reddit) are mostly garbage websites.

I'm feeling increasingly nomadic as a netizen. The communities I have tried to cozy up to in recent years haven't worked out either (like I was on Discord but I recently closed my account due to my distaste for their administrative practices).

• Thumbs Up 2

The migration away from forum software has been devastating for tight-knit communities and extended discussion.  You're not alone in finding this effect alienating.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel more like it's a sign that I'm an old man who can't change his ways and wants the world to bend to my whim instead of adapting.

Or maybe you have little motive to change?

Seems to be the case when people fee stuck. Either that or because they’re at a loss how—not hard to understand given the information overload of the Internet making it hard to focus on something.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/23/2022 at 9:01 PM, SolidSurgeTT said:

The communities I do frequent are basically vestigial remnants of their former days, most people having moved off of them, and the places they have moved to (probably Facebook and Reddit) are mostly garbage websites.

Reddit's format promotes fleeting discussions. Unless the thread has incendiary potencial, It will die down relatively quick even if the subreddit is fairly concurrent. Discussions there also can turn really petty aswell in my experience. And a lot people tend to downvote to oblivion opinions they disagree with aswell. Unless you go for some niche that doesn't bring popular attention, you can find anything there in Reddit, but is often nasty,biased and dissapointing.

Discord is a bloated VoIP. Out of its voicechannel purpose, is nowhere as snappy as it is navigating a standard forum website. And the startup time is annoying on crappy telecom services.

One really can't get used to them coming after a good forum, which are cozy and simple yet straightforward features.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember the good old days when 15+ years ago there was a ton of active Sonic forums. I even made one myself. Those all died, and now we are down to like 2. SSMB is one of the last 2 active forums standing. And it's not as active as it was years back. =(

I feel in a veeeeeeery similar way buddy. I got to say that I didn't got a good vibe in the 2010's web, the migration from forums and specific stuff websites to facebook and twitter give me a lot of bad vibes.

I know that I'm going to sound like a old man right now, but the net was a more beautiful place to me in the 90s and 2000s. Even greater at the 2000s, specific foruns and specific sites for any kind of thing that you want, less hivemind, less politic, more interactions and better interactions. I feel a lot of passion from the web at this time and I gotta say that I miss those times.

• 2 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, SolidSurgeTT said:

I'm feeling increasingly nomadic as a netizen. The communities I have tried to cozy up to in recent years haven't worked out either (like I was on Discord but I recently closed my account due to my distaste for their administrative practices).

I also feel the same way. Sometimes when I join, I feel so lonely and unwanted for some reason. I think that I don't belong and should've just never joined. I don't know where to start or anything. All I want to do is just...I don't, just make friends and stuff you know? But apparently I am awful at that, so I just be alone like I always do. I have been on forums where no one is active and it's boring.

Yes oh Yes
“Specific forums and specific sites for any kind of thing that you want”
It was so much better.
If you liked a show or something there was a specific site for it.
If some jerk starts saying this show sucks, the mods kick them off.

• 1 month later...

I definitely miss the spread of forums there used to be. I can't help it; I just think in a forum format. Any new way of discussing doesn't really grab my attention (probably because the main alternative is chat-based, so people are constantly spewing whatever comes in their heads, with no thread of conversation? Like during a live YouTube.)

I have to say, I definitely feel like I haven't been here in a while, and haven't posted in forever. Part of that is because I know there's not a lot of action, but at least it's still here!

Somebody mentioned another Sonic forum... is there one? I wasn't aware.

I wouldn't say that I have a feeling that I don't belong anywhere, but I find it a lot harder to connect with people on a personal level because the discussions about a certain franchise or anything else tend to be short or some social sites like Twitter are making it much harder to really communicate with other people because they don't have any moderators that could tone down the more insulting comments on their sites.  It just feels like many people are being straight up rude or overly aggressive about anything out there and I just don't like that kind of environment.  That's why I usually prefer to stick with forum sites like this one because at least the moderators will try to step in if things get out of control and I feel much more comfortable discussing a lot of things here because for the most part, people will try to explain their opinions in a more informative way instead of just calling you names for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 1