Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers - Cyberspace Trailer

Wraith
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into New Sonic Frontiers Footage and Details in Nintendo Partner Showcase at some point.

32 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

How about "Techno Highway"?

That could work too. Though I do miss the alliteration.

32 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

One thing I notice is that the tubes aren't exclusive to this stage, you can see them in the background of green hill too, so maybe they're a part of the cyberspace aesthetic like the glitching sky?

çlçççkçlkçk.png

Yeah, it could be. IIRC (spoilering due to it being a leak still, and not officially revealed yet)

Spoiler

I think Sky Sanctuary had these floating in the sky too? Even with the Death Egg in the background there, it's still possible the sky around it is also "glitchy" like with the aesthetic in the Green Hill and city stages.

So this could be a recurring theme for all cyberspace levels. (Though ngl, any time I hear about tubes in Sonic, my mind immediately thinks about the 8-bit Master System and Game Gear games, for some reason...)

"all reused levels themes" my ass, get fucked zippo.  Besides that the city level looks really nice and the level design seems to be okay-ish, from the few seconds of green hill we saw the level design doesn't look too great, still great to know we'll have new levels in the game though!!!

• Thumbs Up 5

30 minutes ago, Wraith said:

FWWH0pgXoAEVCg0?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It's a minuscule detail, all things considered, but seeing the Colours/Generaions era Motobug again just pleases me. I just love the way they (and the other badniks of the time) look compared to Lost World and especially Forces.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, frugaljoker8 said:

"all reused levels themes" my ass, get fucked zippo.  Besides that the city level looks really nice and the level design seems to be okay-ish, from the few seconds of green hill we saw the level design doesn't look too great, still great to know we'll have new levels in the game though!!!

Probably, he saw the Sky Sanctuary and Green Hill gameplay footage from SGF and said the cyberspace levels were all from Generations because of that. I'm grad he was wrong

Lol why doesn't the checkerboard pattern line up correctly here? (next to the rings) 

Screenshot-2022-06-28-15-06-35.png.24c09c072ac615ca82115e7dab07edd3.png

I'm not going to act like this is some huge issue, but it does look pretty tacky. If it doesn't get fixed, issues like this won't reflect well on the game. Here's hoping that it's just another Generations Roof Tree scenario though. 

All in all, this trailer was rubbish. Can't really say anything that hasn't already been stuff about Green Hill. The highway area is different, I guess. Not loving it, but it'll do. 

Let's talk about the cyber space level design, shall we? It doesn't look good. We only see a few short seconds of it, but in each it looked like Sonic was in a wide corridor with staircase-esque platforming that he navigates with the homing attack. I played that exact same level a dozen times in Forces. And Colours. And Generations. And Unleashed. Is this really it? Is this Sonic Teams magnum opus? 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

Posted By: Greatsong1

Not surprised seeing Green Hill back.
Overall the game is finaly looking a bit more interesting now.

Probably the last thing I'll look at before I shy away from footage going forward, but yeah, this hasn't weakened my expectations for the game, and the aesthetics of cyberspace are super cool, but Forces has done it's damage.  I was excited by that footage of Sunset Heights but the level design turned out to be rubbish in the final game.  I won't be burned twice, and I know what to look for now to boot.  The only bits we saw here look VERY Forces-ish.  All I can hope for this time is that these ones aren't from halfway through the game again, not that even that would really matter.  Even Forces' endgame 3D platforming never required you to do anything other than homing attack shit to get from rectangle to rectangle between long stretches of highway (if you even landed on any of said rectangles).

Posted By: PowerHoodz

This game is looking a lot better.  I hope the Switch version will be able to function well enough in contrast to the more powerful consoles.

Posted By: Godot

I know I'm wrong but I sincerely hope Green Hill in Prime is just a quick cameo and not the base for every episode.

5 hours ago, frugaljoker8 said:

The most likely outcome is that there will be 7 different level themes, one for each chaos emerald.

We know that there is Green Hill and the highway stage, those are 2 (one of the leaks mentioned a stage which looked like Speed Highway at dawn, so it was expected)

We know that

Spoiler

there is Sky Sanctuary, and some leaks also mentioned a stage which is very similar to Chemical Plant

That would be 4 out of 7 stages, even if the last 3 ones are actually original, there's still a majority of reused themes compared to original ones, too much for me for not being disappointed about it, especially given that the level design still seems to be super linear, automated and generic.

Also, while the highway level does not seem to reuse many assets (if any), it still looks very similar to Speed Highway (it reuses some tropes too, such as the gates overloaded with street signs, and the "normal" cars driving on the street), so is it really fair to say that it's not a reused theme? By this standard, sand hill from Forces is not a reused theme too (not to mention all the Sonic 4 zones, people had problems with them being rehashed even though none of them reuse the exact graphics of the original games).

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Tomoya Ohtani had this to say about the new Rock music that we heard during the trailer.

Ooh, great to hear! Wonder if it'll be Sonic's new leitmotif? That'd be nice...

Anyway, back to topic! LOVED the city stage, which seems to be a mix of Speed Highway, Skyscraper Scamper and an M.C. Escher painting on drugs. (Would be nice to have an ACTUAL background instead of the endless Pixel Sky™, but eh.) GHZ is... GHZ, lol, but at least it looks a bit different this time. And, finally, I wish SAGE looked... er... older. Matter of personal preference I know, but she seems like an edgy Genshin OC they just shoved in there for Japanese gamers.

Spoiler

Also: How much ya wanna bet she's just Infinite exploiting Sonic's good heart to retake the planet, lol?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KingMario05 said:

Hide contents

Also: How much ya wanna bet she's just Infinite exploiting Sonic's good heart to retake the planet, lol?

Spoiler

I feel like your half joking, but Slim to zero. The press release already tells us that SAGE is trying to drive Sonic away rather than manipulate him for help.

Honestly, considering Sonic's history with flipping villains to friends, if Infinite really wanted Sonic's help he might have more luck appearing as himself and promising to turn over a new leaf.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Hide contents

I feel like your half joking, but Slim to zero. The press release already tells us that SAGE is trying to drive Sonic away rather than manipulate him for help.

Honestly, considering Sonic's history with flipping villains to friends, if Infinite really wanted Sonic's help he might have more luck appearing as himself and promising to turn over a new leaf.

Oh. Never mind.

Posted By: Metal

For god’s sake Sega, I know the assets are right there but you need to leave Generations behind. I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say only Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary are reused and that the crazy road area isn’t actually Speed Highway, but if I see Seaside Hill or Planet Wisp show up in cyberspace I’m going to lose my mind.

I don’t even care if these levels are entirely throwbacks, just don’t give me the ones from Generations again. Give me a Sandopolis or Press Garden or Crazy Gadget or something. Heck, redo Mania in 3D for all I care, just don’t make me play Rooftop Run again.

Posted By: aNu252Hope

I've of the team that the roads are Altitude Limit from Rush, especially as abstract as they are.

Posted By: Eggfan21

Every game is just Green Hill zone now isnt it?
It was a nice cameo in sonic adventure 2, and a nice throwback in generations. But now every single sonic game starts with the green hill zone. Its not nostalgic anymore. its just lazy. Green Hill means nothing to me anymore.