Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Cyberspace Questions Answered in an IGN Video coming tomorrow

Shiny Gems

In about 15 hours as of this post, we will get some Cyberspace questions answered for Sonic Frontiers.

Somethings mentioned (though this was an old build from May)

There is a drop dash, there is a level that is all 2D, the levels in cyberspace are 2 minutes long in average, so short, and there is an awesome boost that makes Sonic go fast when 400 rings are collected.

Anything I missed?

• Thumbs Up 5

• The title was changed to Sonic Frontiers Cyberspace Questions Answered in an IGN Video coming tomorrow

Oh noooo….he mentioned a stage modeled after Chemical Plant…..

So Cyberspace are shorter, no wisps (which made it feel more like unleashed/generations).

he..mentioned a drop dash in the skill tree?🤔 

• Thumbs Up 1

He mentioned no Spin Dash or rolling but Drop-Dashing? I wonder if he mistook the name for something else.

So there is 2D, and some of the cyberspace levels are entirely 2D centric. Sheesh. 

At least they're all short. Rather than the main gameplay so hopefully the 2D won't be so mind-numbing dull, and just a more fresh change of pace. 

I'll have to see how they contrast with the overworld gameplay. 

Also, them not relying on the wisps is definitely a good thing for the pace of these levels. 

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

So there is 2D, and some of the cyberspace levels are entirely 2D centric. Sheesh. 

At least they're all short. Rather than the main gameplay so hopefully the 2D won't be so mind-numbing dull, and just a more fresh change of pace. 

I'll have to see how they contrast with the overworld gameplay. 

From Stalzman's words, it seems that levels are either entirely 2D or entirely 3D, because he said he never actually played anything in 2D.

The fact that he played it for four hours and never knew about the level means that cyberspace levels can be optional (and also that the game doesn't really force you to find them).

3 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

From Stalzman's words, it seems that levels are either entirely 2D or entirely 3D, because he said he never actually played anything in 2D.

The fact that he played it for four hours and never knew means that cyberspace levels can be optional.

And Jeff(?) found the 2D one by taking a different route, which is intriguing. I believe some of the recent stuff said the 3D to 2D ratio leaned more toward 3D? Hopefully the level design is solid though, for 5 possible missions.

So, with how the IGN guy was talking about that form of boost that is apparently achieved by collecting 400 rings...

Would this be a way to "earn speed" in the game, even if it is not momentum physics or not even the same way as that?

I'm fine with the speed upgrades, to be honest.

Momentum or not, the most important thing is that the levels are designed to take advantage of the speed and make you feel fast and in control most of all. 

6 minutes ago, MightyGems said:

So, with how the IGN guy was talking about that form of boost that is apparently achieved by collecting 400 rings...

Would this be a way to "earn speed" in the game, even if it is not momentum physics or not even the same way as that?

Not in any sense that people care about.

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Not in any sense that people care about.

I figured someone would say that. Still, to me, it is rather interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Plus, if it only works while at 400 rings, will be curious how tricky/rewarding it might be in managing to maintain it.

Don't be. Sonic Team has been slapping the drop dash onto everything since Mania, it doesn't show they've learned anything of value.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Diogenes said:

Don't be. Sonic Team has been slapping the drop dash onto everything since Mania, it doesn't show they've learned anything of value.

They've only made literally one game since Mania.

And that was the game that literally had the Classic Sonic from Mania, in 2D levels designed after the 2D games.

W-what is there to even learn that they haven't...? The Drop Dash in Forces worked well (it's just that the REST of Classic Sonic's physics didn't lmao).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoKaine said:

They've only made literally one game since Mania.

And it's in that. As well as the Ages ports of 1 and 2, and all of the games in Origins.

W-what is there to even learn that they haven't...? The Drop Dash in Forces worked well (it's just that the REST of Classic Sonic's physics didn't lmao).

Yes, that, the entire rest of the gameplay and level design, that work together to make a game actually worth playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

And it's in that. As well as the Ages ports of 1 and 2, and all of the games in Origins.

Yes, that, the entire rest of the gameplay and level design, that work together to make a game actually worth playing.

Do the ports of the classics count against Sonic Team? Wasn’t that…Christian Whitehead’s stuff, mostly?

Granted, 3D Sonic seems to not want to do the same things as 2D sonic in terms of Gameplay. I’m still curious to see more of the cyberspace stages so we can get a better idea.

7 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

The AGES ports aren't handled by Sonic Team. Sonic 3 & Knuckles in Origins also added the Spin Dash and we know that was made by Headcannon (apparently, they would've added the Super Peel-Out too). You're blaming Sonic Team for shit they don't even do.

7 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

What does this mean??? They're not even the same games!!

Just now, NoKaine said:

The AGES ports aren't handled by Sonic Team. Sonic 3 & Knuckles in Origins also added the Spin Dash and we know that was made by Headcannon.

Not to mention, to Diogenes, I must say like I said on the other topic, there is no actual, or one way to make a Sonic game. You can be entitled to your preferences, but you seem, for a lack of a better word and metaphorically, addicted to the style of the classic games to the point that it has impeded your ability to enjoy any other style of Sonic. sometimes, you just have to let go and try to move on. It is not like the series would die for not using the classic style gameplay and level design.

And yeah, Sonic Team has not used the Drop Dash that much.

It would probably be a lot easier if they ever bothered to adapt Classic gameplay to 3D, but they haven't.

Can't let go of something that never existed.

1 minute ago, Zadent said:

Do the ports of the classics count against Sonic Team? Wasn’t that…Christian Whitehead’s stuff, mostly?

The, from what I've heard sloppy, implementation of the drop dash in 1/CD/2 is Sonic Team's doing. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea on paper, but it's part of the pattern.

The AGES ports aren't handled by Sonic Team. 

Then it's Sega's decision, whichever. Point is that they've glommed onto it hard, pushing it onto pretty much everything they could, so it's not that surprising for it to show up here, and it doesn't imply that they understand why it was good in Mania or why Mania as a whole was good.

You're right. Some of the games are good and well designed, and some are not.

Just now, Kuzu said:

It would probably be a lot easier if they ever bothered to adapt Classic gameplay to 3D, but they haven't.

Can't let go of something that never existed.

And even then, some styles of 2D gameplay may not transition well to 3D. The classics were great, Some games like Earthworm Jim, Castlevania with Castlevania 64 and most infamously, Bubsy, did not do well in 3D.

Except we are not talking about simple transitioning from 2D classic gameplay to 3D classic gameplay. We are talking about how love and desire to have such gameplay from the 2D days may have affected some people's ability to accept something different. It's that simple. You don't need classic gameplay in 3D to let go in any way.

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

You're right. Some of the games are good and well designed, and some are not.

That’s…not a good division, or a good way to divide it.

Spoiler

but then again, I’m the one that, while I enjoyed my time in Mania and  Origins, I find myself still partial to the gameplay in Adventure 2, ShTH, and Sonic 06 (yeah, I admit it. It’s been a blast for me these past months outside a few things, notably Shadow’s vehicle…i avoid them where I can)

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Then it's Sega's decision, whichever.

Sonic Team is not the same people as SEGA! They're not interchangeable! 

Point is that they've glommed onto it hard

Having the Drop Dash in this game with Classic Sonic and these old games with Classic Sonic is "glomming onto it?"

it doesn't imply that they understand why it was good in Mania or why Mania as a whole was good.

Who would make this conclusion anyway??? You still haven't explained what Sonic Team should learn from Mania besides "be good." And why not just say "the classic games" anyway? Or is that giving "Sonic Team" too much credit, or something?

Some of the games are good and well designed, and some are not.

Do you actually have an idea of what makes these games good or bad? Like, things you actually like or dislike, things you think were executed well or not, things you think are good ideas or not? Like, what are your actual opinions? I don't really care what those opinions, just if you're able to express them.

Or is it just like. "If Sonic Team does it, it's bad." That's pretty much the only reason I can think of to be unironically upset over the Drop Dash existing in... three whole other games than Mania.

2 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

Sonic Team is not the same people as SEGA! They're not interchangeable! 

Having the Drop Dash in this game with Classic Sonic and these old games with Classic Sonic is "glomming onto it?"

Who would make this conclusion anyway??? You still haven't explained what Sonic Team should learn from Mania besides "be good." And why not just say "the classic games" anyway? Or is that giving "Sonic Team" too much credit, or something?

Do you actually have an idea of what makes these games good or bad? Like, things you actually like or dislike, things you think were executed well or not, things you think are good ideas or not?

Or is it just like. "If Sonic Team does it, it's bad." That's pretty much the only reason I can think of to be unironically upset over the Drop Dash existing in... three whole other games than Mania.

I just want to say, there are more factors that make things complicated than people may realize. Literally, the Drop Dash was good in Forces, it was the physics that was bad.

Plus, if modern games are so bad, how come they have fans, like the Adventure games, some of the boost games and even Heroes and other games? There are still people who want Sonic Adventure 3 out there.

When they've inserted it into pretty much everything since the game that invented it, yes.

You still haven't explained what Sonic Team should learn from Mania besides "be good."

I don't have the energy for the ten billionth relitigation of why the widely loved classic games were good and better than the consistently underperforming if not outright terrible modern games. I'm sure you've heard it all before anyway, and if you didn't learn from it then, you won't learn from it now.

And why not just say "the classic games" anyway? Or is that giving "Sonic Team" too much credit, or something?

They had plenty of time to learn from the genesis games and chose not to. Mania had to come around and show that that kind of game was still viable and desirable, giving them a fresh opportunity. Yet all they seem to have taken from it is one new move.

That's pretty much the only reason I can think of to be unironically upset over the Drop Dash existing in... three whole other games than Mania.

Pro tip: I am not mad that the drop dash exists in other games. I'm mad that they haven't learned anything else from Mania. Y'know, like I've been saying, with the words in my posts, that you don't seem interested in actually reading.

• Thumbs Up 1